Game of Thrones (About to start, but always recruiting)

Started by Tamhansen, July 22, 2015, 08:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

For a while now I've been pondering a Game of Thrones RP, and I was wondering if there'd be interest in starting one.

The idea would basically be that players take on the roles of members of a bannerhouse (or with enough interest, several bannerhouses) intent on seeing their house make it through, or perhaps even thrive in the Game of Thrones. Alliances can be wrought, plots hatched and relationships can be created, used and destroyed in many many different ways.

I'd personally like to use a simplified version of the ASOIAF RPG rules to create characters and houses, but the game itself would be nearly completely freeform. It will contain elements of PvP or rather HvH I guess. With the houses striving for power.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Kolbrandr

it's a neat idea to use the SIFRP house creation system (which is a lot of fun just to play around with of itself) for some structure, though I would suggest bearing in mind that the descriptions of the ratings you get are reaaallly deceptive. You don't really end up with more than the equivalent of minor houses barring really freak rolls as far as how fast the points burn up in spending them. You're certainly nowhere near houses like Royce, Redwyne, Yronwood, so forth.

wander

I am interested if you use that system, I'm actually a fan of it. :)

kckolbe

I thought the rules, while clearly flawed, did fit the tone really well.  I would be down for doing this.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Rajah

Quote from: wander on July 22, 2015, 02:09:11 PM
I am interested if you use that system, I'm actually a fan of it. :)
Quote from: kckolbe on July 22, 2015, 04:43:52 PM
I thought the rules, while clearly flawed, did fit the tone really well.  I would be down for doing this.

Echoed! I love the system, and I think it's immensely helpful in smoothing out stuff like serious character conflict. One thing the combat and intrigue systems don't do is screw around: resolution is thorough and conclusive.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Tamhansen

Quote from: Kolbrandr on July 22, 2015, 09:43:05 AM
it's a neat idea to use the SIFRP house creation system (which is a lot of fun just to play around with of itself) for some structure, though I would suggest bearing in mind that the descriptions of the ratings you get are reaaallly deceptive. You don't really end up with more than the equivalent of minor houses barring really freak rolls as far as how fast the points burn up in spending them. You're certainly nowhere near houses like Royce, Redwyne, Yronwood, so forth.

Yes the system is set up to represent minor houses. Just like the basic rules for D&D are for building a level 1 character. The makers of SIFRP saw the house as a sort of metacharacter which was to level up through the actions of its members. Weird I know, but it actually works quite well. Imagine starting out as a house akin to say the Foresters, then ending up with power equal to say the Tullies, or even the Tyrells .

Quote from: Rajah on July 22, 2015, 11:25:23 PM
Echoed! I love the system, and I think it's immensely helpful in smoothing out stuff like serious character conflict. One thing the combat and intrigue systems don't do is screw around: resolution is thorough and conclusive.

I'm happy to use the rules more extensively if people agree to it.

My idea was to have about 3-5 players be part of a single house, be in charge of building it, maintaining it. When a character dies (This being a song of ice and fire after all) they can simply assume the role of another house member.

If we have enough interest, a second house can be introduced, and later on perhaps a third or fourth. And we'll use a waiting room style recruitment, where people who want to join, wait until there's 3 members then build a house. Players are allowed (maybe even encouraged) to recruit extra members for their house, up to the max of six. Even after the house has started.

What do people think of this?
ons and offs

wander

Not a fan of the House v House gameplay, much prefer to have everyone under the same roof and have NPCs from other Houses as antagonists, though thats me. Of course if the group gets large enough, then another House for others to play in is fine by me. Just not a fan of the back-stabbing I've come across before in House v House games.

Tamhansen

I admit, HvH can be a bit backstabby, but on one hand, this is kind of part of the setting. Intrigue and cutthroat business.

However, players using IC action to settle OC grudges, or those doing things for the singular purpose of harming others will quickly be penalised.

Also there will be NPC houses as antagonists, the PC houses will be less directly involved with each other, but alliances and rivalries can grow.

Perhaps we can make direct conflict less likely by placing the PC houses further apart. That way the HvH thing will be more abstract, without losing the competition element altogether.
ons and offs

wander

*thumbs up*

Cool cool. Of course I'll go with what everyone else thinks, thats my only one concern and it seems you're a good GM to have a handle on anything before it gets too nasty. ^^

Kolbrandr

Well, if you go with the house creation system, simply by roll of the dice, houses can end up in whatever the heck corner of Westeros anyway.

Tamhansen

Okay, so far response has been a bit mellow, but I'm going to go ahead with it anyway.

People wishing to join can simply state here or send me a pm. I'll have a thread detailing character creation, house creation and such up in a few days. Once I have three or four players we can start creating the first house.
ons and offs

wander

Zeth

wander

Quote from: Zeth on July 25, 2015, 12:20:50 PM
I am interested. Where are these rules?

They're the ASOIAF rpg rules, published by Green Ronin. There is an updated Game of Thrones version, it's an rpg corebook.

Tamhansen

yup. House creation and character creation will be explained in OoC thread. We'll be doing it step by step, but having a copy of the rules might help. I'll put a 'view only' copy in a link in the OoC post.
ons and offs

Uebelator

Id be interested as well, even though I have no idea of the rules yet.

summoner2183

ElvenKitten

RubySlippers

I might play I love GoT well watched four seasons, so far.

summoner2183