What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

The "Wasteland Explorer" aspect of Fallout 3 is by far my favourite part of the game... for all their sins Bethesda did a good job of creating a vista of beautiful desolation. My issue is that as soon as you look a little deeper (or run into generic band of evil S&M lifestylers who kill everything on sight) the game starts to fall apart. In addition while the sandbox roaming is nice I'd far prefer to have well developed, logical main locations then a pleasant walk in the wasteland followed by somewhere that feels at best half-baked (key example being Megaton which has so much potential.... but was never utilised or truly expanded on.). The exploring also detracted from the "sparsely populated" aspect... Megaton is what... 10 minutes walk away from Rivet City, 15 minutes walk from Canterbury Commons, 10 minutes walk from Evergreen Mills etc etc. I understand why they made it that way... however fun wasteland exploring is no-one wants to do it for 3 hours to get to the next location... but it certainly takes away from the desolated aspect.

I'd also point out that each of the pre-built characters has some pretty deep flaws in terms of power-gaming... Stone's "Bruiser" attribute is horrible for a hand to hand character, the "Night Person" trait can be a real inconvenience for Natalia and Albert has skilled as well as tagged Barter. All of those builds are interesting if you're roleplaying a game... if you want to "win" then they're poor builds. They show certain build styles... but they're far from perfect (or even close to perfect) examples of those builds.

I think the rope situation is a clear example of the different mindset a game like Fallout requires. You're basically alone wandering the Wasteland. Why on earth wouldn't you have some rope (which if I recall correctly is available for purchase in Shady Sands and can be found in the Cathedral)? Basically every survival book/tv show/documentary lists rope (or at the very least strong cord) as a basic essential item and I know I had (and have) my characters carry it in virtually every game that fits the genre.

dready

Quote from: Hemingway on May 11, 2011, 05:25:00 AMI keep hearing people complain about the AI and single player, and I am ... very tempted to say, "what did you expect?" It pains me because most reviewers seem to focus on that as well. It's like if you took Battlefield 1942 and only focused on the campaign ( which was indeed simply multiplayer maps with bots, in a set order ).

I shall know more once I try the game - I can't play it until midnight tomorrow - but ... so far, having read peoples' opinions, I hear a lot of people comparing it to the likes of Enemy Territory. I approve of this. The people who are unhappy seem to be the ones who think CoD is the epitome of multiplayer gaming.
What I judge and expect a game to be has always been based on what they promote, and what they supply.

This is a game that promoted itself far too much in the storyline department. The story (which i painstakingly completed on both sides) is a bust, though if it was an animated movie it would have worked out incredibly well... possibly. As for the multiplayer experience, they were promoting a leap in gameplay, which they did incredibly well... up until the parts where, as previously stated, detection was ignored and chases became an abrupt end because of such.

It is not so much a complaint as it is an observation towards the events and capabilities of the game itself. I have even re-rented and played on a friend's xbox today to see if maybe the problem was my console, or the disk itself. However, it is the game that has the issue.

I may be close to an amateur when it comes to analyzing games, but I am thorough in both approach and execution. This game, on the other hand, was far from being thorough in execution.

Edit: I am in no means attempting to persuade others to try this game out. Instead I am bringing aspects of the game to their attention as to not disappoint those who have had thoughts on making purchase towards playing. Yes this is indeed my opinion on the game, and yes I did not enjoy playing it save the introduction of each side's storyline. If you wish to employ your own opinion on the game after playing it, then by all means do so, as I do not wish to inform others on what games they should play without first being asked if there was any sort of game I would recommend. Also, I did not ever think for one moment that Black Ops is the epitome of a good or great FPS, I just find it enjoyable to play as a game, which is what I look for, which is what a game should be: Enjoyable in the actions you take and the events which follow. If you play to win I have no qualm with such, and wish you the best of luck. Though I would still prefer to enjoy playing a game instead of defeating the problems that are presented.

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on May 12, 2011, 12:26:39 AM
The "Wasteland Explorer" aspect of Fallout 3 is by far my favourite part of the game... for all their sins Bethesda did a good job of creating a vista of beautiful desolation. My issue is that as soon as you look a little deeper (or run into generic band of evil S&M lifestylers who kill everything on sight) the game starts to fall apart. In addition while the sandbox roaming is nice I'd far prefer to have well developed, logical main locations then a pleasant walk in the wasteland followed by somewhere that feels at best half-baked (key example being Megaton which has so much potential.... but was never utilised or truly expanded on.). The exploring also detracted from the "sparsely populated" aspect... Megaton is what... 10 minutes walk away from Rivet City, 15 minutes walk from Canterbury Commons, 10 minutes walk from Evergreen Mills etc etc. I understand why they made it that way... however fun wasteland exploring is no-one wants to do it for 3 hours to get to the next location... but it certainly takes away from the desolated aspect.

I'd also point out that each of the pre-built characters has some pretty deep flaws in terms of power-gaming... Stone's "Bruiser" attribute is horrible for a hand to hand character, the "Night Person" trait can be a real inconvenience for Natalia and Albert has skilled as well as tagged Barter. All of those builds are interesting if you're roleplaying a game... if you want to "win" then they're poor builds. They show certain build styles... but they're far from perfect (or even close to perfect) examples of those builds.

I think the rope situation is a clear example of the different mindset a game like Fallout requires. You're basically alone wandering the Wasteland. Why on earth wouldn't you have some rope (which if I recall correctly is available for purchase in Shady Sands and can be found in the Cathedral)? Basically every survival book/tv show/documentary lists rope (or at the very least strong cord) as a basic essential item and I know I had (and have) my characters carry it in virtually every game that fits the genre.
I'm not saying if you use them from stock. I'm saying if you take stone down he has 43 special points. Now sure some of those are the 1 required, and 2 additional stay in strength for some odd reason (maybe it's a trait thing, I didn't look into that). So? Edit him. Boom instant power-gamey advantage. I'm saying that the developers gave their characters (at least with Stone) and obvious technical advantage. I think your issues with Fallout 3 are so far non-issues. Yes raiders are forced into the bad slot, but honestly that's not a big flaw, and you kind of took the wind out of your own distance argument.

As for the rope thing. Sure, it would seem like the logical thing to have, but honestly its use is limited at best. It's good for maybe one or two situations I've found and then it's relegated to junk. So you should go around with every item on the slim off chance you might need it, and as far as I can tell a crowbar is just a melee weapon. Crowbars are the damned most useful things on the planet. They would relegate locks useless in the real world (most locks). Why can't I pull my shotgun out and blow a lock off? If Fallout was really concerned with that lock picking would be a non-issue. Obvious elements in the game are weak and shoehorned in, that much is obvious.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Well, I finally got to play Brink. I haven't played a lot, still haven't tried multiplayer ( I am very indecisive when it comes to character customization; most of my time has probably been spent tweaking my appearance ). Here are some of my thoughts so far, though.

First off, the AI is pretty bad. Or, rather, my suspicion is that it's no worse than in other games, it's simply that because the game requires more of the AI than shooting bad guys, it gets tricky. Still, so far it hasn't been anything I haven't been able to handle.

Having said that, the rest of the game, at least what I've seen, is solid. Customization is ... overwhelming, and while I don't like how easy it is to unlock new weapons ( I basically lost interest in Black Ops the moment I unlocked the last weapon; I like having something to work toward ), but at least there is a huge selection with an even bigger selection of attachments, with multiple versions of the same part for maximum customization. I definitely approve.

As for the action, I can see why people used to two-shot kills might find it ... I don't know, unusual? Slow? Tedious? Personally, I like the fact a twitchy headshot won't put a guy down instantly. It's not a game that lends itself to sniping, either, so that's good. Did I mention the most awesome weapon in existence is in the game? It goes by the name of Kross, and is based on the Kriss. Super V, that is. Also known as Vector. SCIENCE + WEAPONS.

Honestly, my biggest gripe is that I can't decide which side I prefer, how I'd like my character to look, and so on.

Wolfy

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110042-Aim-for-the-Demon-Groin-in-Shadows-of-the-Damned-Screenshots

A new game by Suda 51, the same people that brought you No More Heroes 1&2 and Killer 7

Also..it comes out in June.

Along with Pretty much every ****ing thing else..seriously, Duke Nukem Forever, Zelda: OOT 3D..

Good god, my wallet is like

Sabby

Those games sucked more then me when I do volunteer work down at The Slippery Sailor >.> They just get a free ride on being 'artistic'.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 14, 2011, 12:16:10 AM
Those games sucked more then me when I do volunteer work down at The Slippery Sailor >.> They just get a free ride on being 'artistic'.

I have ask if you even played them or not. :/

Sabby

I have. Shitty repetitive gameplay on both, though No More Heroes was actually coherent, unlike Killer 7. Where Killer 7 was just a mess, No More Heroes was easy to grasp and get into, but ultimately boring. The only reason the both of them get so much attention is because they don't use Unreal 3 and have Medkits on the ground. They try to be visually different from the norm, and they succeed, but its not enough to carry a game.

Admittedly, I'm sick of how games look in the graphics and art department lately, but I'm not guna play through a bunch of repetitive, boring Wiimote sword fights (as if you can call them that anyway >.<) just because "Haha! The time limit on this power up is a 8-bit tiger crawling across the screen! Haha! Thats so visually different and artistic! I'm used to a standard time limit counter! This totally excuses me being bored out of my tits"

Wolfy

Oh Sabby..you just don't get it. :/ *pity's sabby*

Sabby

I tried to get it, I didn't get it, I don't want it. Say what you will of my current stance, but I did try.

And now that I has coffee and food and am almost awake, I may stop being grouchy xD *grabs Wolfy by his tail and drags away*

Laughing Man

Fire Emblem. The first GBA one released in the US (FE7 or Rekka no Ken, for the discerning FE fan). My nostalgia burns brightly. :D

dready

Quote from: Sabby on May 14, 2011, 12:44:02 AM*grabs Wolfy by his tail and drags away*

Dawww... such a beautiful sight to see. ; u ;

Also, rented DA:2 again. I know it's old but at least it's fun. That and the introductory ordeal when it comes to the game is not as long as Fable's 'origins' so I've made a mage and a warrior as well but only my rogue has led an expedition yet. Friggin hate how much I relied on a few characters as well, especially when I delved into the veil.

But that's what's good about it: You make simple decisions that turn out to have large consequences.

Inkidu

DA: 2 old? It only came out in March. :P Seriously, I've devoted two and a half playthroughs to it already. It's good, it's solid, and the story on the big picture side of things is awesome.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on May 14, 2011, 12:30:49 PM
DA: 2 old? It only came out in March. :P Seriously, I've devoted two and a half playthroughs to it already. It's good, it's solid, and the story on the big picture side of things is awesome.

Sir, in today's world, anything that hasn't come out in the last few days is considered "Old"

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wolfy on May 14, 2011, 11:34:52 PM
Sir, in today's world, anything that hasn't come out in the last few days is considered "Old"

Then, according to you, I must be playing something ancient.  Downloaded and installed Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, and Throne of Baal, after years of not playing it.  Just need to finish pimping it out with some sweet mods.

Wolfy

Quote from: dready on May 14, 2011, 09:26:48 AM
Dawww... such a beautiful sight to see. ; u ;

Yeah..until he disappears before we do anything. T_T Such a tease.

Drayle

Mana Kehmia for the PS2

I don't know what it is about this game, and I've played it like 20 times already, but I can't beat it and I dont want to put it down.

Heck this game has saved me 15 buck a month, it pulls me away from WoW

Sabby

Quote from: Wolfy on May 14, 2011, 11:43:37 PM
Yeah..until he disappears before we do anything. T_T Such a tease.

Yes, this was intentional.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 15, 2011, 01:34:35 AM
Yes, this was intentional.

T-T You tease!..I wanted to do something, but nooo..you were all like "Yay, I'm finally awake" so I was like "Alright, sabby time" and then you disappear. T-T

Oniya

Quote from: Tonalberry on May 14, 2011, 11:37:37 PM
Then, according to you, I must be playing something ancient.  Downloaded and installed Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, and Throne of Baal, after years of not playing it.  Just need to finish pimping it out with some sweet mods.

*chisels her GBA out of the rock strata*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Playing new Vegas kind of a chaotic neutral character (though chaos tends to naturally gravitate towards the good side of things it seems. I slaughter Camp Forlorn Hope and I still have Jesus-level goodness. I also crashed the ghoul rockets. Damnit what does a guy have to do to redress the great karmic balance! D:) I'm using a bumper sword with some more mechanical guns for stuff that's out of sword reach. Also, literally punching someone's block off with the power fist never gets old. (Seeing as to do a good melee weapon character you have to devote points to unarmed too.) Also Deathclaws still scary as hell.

L.A. Noir Tuesday, can't wait! >u<

dready

Quote from: Inkidu on May 15, 2011, 02:13:01 PMAlso Deathclaws still scary as hell.

Once I made a character in F:LV that was solely unarmed after finding Punchy on my explorer. Even with power armor, maxed Str and a really high End, the deathclaw still won.

Then I traveled around getting the take down moves and other martial arts 'specials' and it turned into a close match between who can hit first and keep hitting the other more.

Inkidu

Quote from: dready on May 15, 2011, 03:35:46 PM
Once I made a character in F:LV that was solely unarmed after finding Punchy on my explorer. Even with power armor, maxed Str and a really high End, the deathclaw still won.

Then I traveled around getting the take down moves and other martial arts 'specials' and it turned into a close match between who can hit first and keep hitting the other more.
Yeah, I pretty much have it in my head that Deathclaws are New Vegas's way of telling you. "Do not go here ever."
I mean, I can take out those Cazadors with my Liberator machete, but I see an old, blind, cripple, half dead Deathclaw and I still run the other way like a scared little child.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on May 15, 2011, 03:59:09 PM
Yeah, I pretty much have it in my head that Deathclaws are New Vegas's way of telling you. "Do not go here ever."
I mean, I can take out those Cazadors with my Liberator machete, but I see an old, blind, cripple, half dead Deathclaw and I still run the other way like a scared little child.

Better not go with Ceasar's legion then.

There's a quest that makes you kill the strongest Death Claw in the game.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on May 15, 2011, 04:00:26 PM
Better not go with Ceasar's legion then.

There's a quest that makes you kill the strongest Death Claw in the game.
Crap!

I know what I'll do though. I'll enter the area at a lower level, then come back when I hit fifty with T51-B power armor and the special super sledge.