Websites for house sale ads -- Or, where to sell back clothing?

Started by kylie, June 24, 2012, 07:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylie

1.  I'm trying to sell off things, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend sites to post ads.   Probably just ads for an apt. sale at this point.
I have tried selling on Ebay and not done so well this time around.  Time is short, so I'm thinking more, where else to put up ads for an apt. sale...  (I'm in Atlanta for those that know the local ads better.)   So far I've tried Craigslist and Ebay Classifieds, City-Data. 

2.  Also, would you shy away from an ad that asks you to call for the exact location?  I find people generally end up getting lost and calling me anyway, so it sort of benefits me to make them write down my number.   ::)  Besides, it's a small complex and I'm a little concerned about many simultaneous visitors messing up the parking.  Although as time gets shorter, I may not care so much  :P

3.  Finally...  Suggest any thrift stores that will buy up women's clothing lightly or never used?

Thanks.

LaOnomatopoeia

3 - A - I'm a bit north from you, but I'm assuming you've already tried Plato's Closet? They don't give the best prices, but no thrift stores around here give money for clothes at all.

3 - B - If you can't find any place that will give you money for women's clothing, may I suggest 'My Sister's Place' ? The closest public location is in Gainesville, I think. It's a confidential shelter for battered women and their children. They're constantly going through clothes as most women who end up there are ones who just leave at the last minute, without packing.

kylie

Thanks for the reply.  I may give Plato's a look.  I think I might have seen a lousy review or two, but I've flipped so many pages lately that I'm not even sure.  Also thinking about perhaps Lucky Exchange (just from a couple old reviews, again).  I'd been hoping to coax some people to come look through stuff, but I don't have a very portable cam (not even a really smart phone) and time is getting short.

Not sure how much of this stuff falls under daily wear - there's quite a bit of clubby / otherwise Hot Topic -esque stuff in here.  But I might look up the shelter, too.  Especially if I don't find a good buyer for all the tops.  They're quite a medley.   8-)

Beguile's Mistress

You might want to look for a neighborhood garage sale set up or a flea market in your area, too.  I don't know what they charge for a table but it's usually pretty reasonable.  Also, consignment shops take your things on spec and give you a part of proceeds if and when they sell.

LaOnomatopoeia

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 25, 2012, 06:31:27 PM
You might want to look for a neighborhood garage sale set up or a flea market in your area, too.  I don't know what they charge for a table but it's usually pretty reasonable.  Also, consignment shops take your things on spec and give you a part of proceeds if and when they sell.

GREAT idea!

kylie

Thanks again.  I've been blowing hot and cold on flea markets because I don't have my own vehicle, you have to pay and set up, and going there means not being at home on the weekend with larger items that people might pick up.  Time is just tight.

Will look into consignment if nothing takes :)   

On the upside, found a nice person with a camera...  So hopefully my ads will be somewhat more attractive soon.   8-)

kylie

This is kind of interesting...  Am actually getting a couple hits off ads placed on Fetlife. 

Already sold off a small horde of shoes there.   8-)

kylie

I ended up selling quite a few things at Plato's Closet.  They said roughly $3-4/item, although I didn't count them all out that exactly to check. 

Seems like each of their branches is very distinctive to its local area.  I called one and they just wanted functional stuff, but the more hip/costume/subculture area loved me.

A friend who helped me move out took on the rest for his wife to look through.  But he promised to offer things to a shelter if she didn't want them.