The Descent into Madness (Lovecraftian Horror) [Recruiting]

Started by Totoro, September 13, 2017, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Totoro

Quote from: slayerred on November 19, 2017, 11:07:50 AM
I am.  I enjoy Lovecraft.  I was thinking a nosy freelance journalist?

A journalist is definitely workable, feel free to pitch the concept via PM or otherwise get to a CS. I'd recommend having a read-through of the IC thread to get an idea of what's currently going on with the other PC's at the moment.

Gateman

Are you still looking for people? If so, I'd love to get into a Lovecraft game

Totoro

Quote from: Gateman on November 28, 2017, 05:49:56 PM
Are you still looking for people? If so, I'd love to get into a Lovecraft game

Absolutely. Recruitment's a little more open now too, depending on the kind of person you want to play linking them into the story should be easy enough.

Gateman

Alrighty then, I'll have at least a WIP character up by the end of the night. Gotta pretend to be an adult in the meantime ^^

Totoro

Quote from: Gateman on November 28, 2017, 06:10:24 PM
Alrighty then, I'll have at least a WIP character up by the end of the night. Gotta pretend to be an adult in the meantime ^^

Cool. I'm sleeping soon, different timezones, so no rush. Enjoy pretending to adult.

Vonandi

Hey how's the rp going; Are you guys still looking for new recruits?

Totoro

Quote from: Vonandi on December 05, 2017, 11:31:06 AM
Hey how's the rp going; Are you guys still looking for new recruits?

Steadily chugging along. Definitely still open to new people, what kind of thing were you thinking?

Vonandi

Sorry I'm just now getting some free time; I have a few basic Ideas, But I'm going to look over the IC a bit and see what hasn't been done yet when I get a chance.

Totoro

Quote from: Vonandi on December 11, 2017, 09:12:28 PM
Sorry I'm just now getting some free time; I have a few basic Ideas, But I'm going to look over the IC a bit and see what hasn't been done yet when I get a chance.

Cool. Take a look at the approved characters thread to see the others in the game.

Vonandi

Hmm hmm hmm. It seems like you already have a fairly well rounded group of individuals, is there anything in particular that needs to be filled? I'm currently thinking about playing a Soviet immigrant, but I'm still a bit shaky on the specifics.

Remiel

Hrmm.  It occurs to me we don't have a femme fatale (no offense, Maggie and Madeline :P).  She could be the Natasha Romanov of the group, the female version of Alestor?

Valerian

Oh, none taken.  Maggie is about the opposite of a femme fatale.   ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Imogen

Quote from: Remiel on December 12, 2017, 11:40:55 AM
Hrmm.  It occurs to me we don't have a femme fatale (no offense, Maggie and Madeline :P).  She could be the Natasha Romanov of the group, the female version of Alestor?

None taken, haha. Madeline only has the sweet talking charm, not the martial arts lethality. ;-)
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Remiel

Well, I was specifically referring to someone who specializes in seduction, infiltration, & disguise.  Although I don't know how useful that would be when facing extradimensional horrors :\

Imogen

Quote from: Remiel on December 12, 2017, 12:53:49 PM
Well, I was specifically referring to someone who specializes in seduction, infiltration, & disguise.  Although I don't know how useful that would be when facing extradimensional horrors :\

You never know!
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Totoro

Occult is welcome, infiltration/disguise is welcome.

A large point is that a lot of you will be somewhat - totally outmatched and useless at various points. However you will still deal with human beings fairly consistently so all kinds of talents will be applicable. Occult knowledge will not mean you can throw some combination of salt and herbs at a 'monster' and deal with it. There are things you can't fight so nobody's going full Van Helsing.

Having said that you might connect certain dots and all that.

Arion

Oh my...

Would love to participate in a game like this, as I'm a huge Lovecraft mythos fan.  The Rats in the Walls was my first taste of his work (and it didn't help that I had actual rats scratching in the attic while I read it), and have been hooked ever since, including owning copies of several editions of the CoC tabletop rpg.

From what I can see it looks like you're still recruiting, yes?  I'm about to do a quick run through of what others have posted, but in the meantime, if its still open, has anyone nailed down a collector of old and rare manuscripts?  Someone who might have a copy of things such as the Unaussprechlichen Kulten or other such tomes?
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

<a href="https://www.f-list.net/c/arion99">My F-List

Totoro

Quote from: Arion on December 12, 2017, 03:43:26 PM
Oh my...

Would love to participate in a game like this, as I'm a huge Lovecraft mythos fan.  The Rats in the Walls was my first taste of his work (and it didn't help that I had actual rats scratching in the attic while I read it), and have been hooked ever since, including owning copies of several editions of the CoC tabletop rpg.

From what I can see it looks like you're still recruiting, yes?  I'm about to do a quick run through of what others have posted, but in the meantime, if its still open, has anyone nailed down a collector of old and rare manuscripts?  Someone who might have a copy of things such as the Unaussprechlichen Kulten or other such tomes?

Reading that with a rat problem is definitely a bad combination.

Absolutely still recruiting so a collector would be very welcome. I will say almost everything in any kind of tomes will be either wrong or unrelated to what's happening as I don't want any kind of 'Oh this is what's going on' book to be a thing. So they could know of the Occult but in a more 'Devils and demons' kind of way than the more science and alien nature of this kind of thing. The specifics of what they have/know can be worked out though, some of it may have passing usefulness and it can at least provide a unique openness to surreal things involvement or thinking outside the box.

Arion

After the read through, I'd like to clarify.  Not looking to play someone with actual detailed occult knowledge or any kind of powers/magic, not only because it's right out but also because only fools dabble in magic with the mythos.  Just a bibliophile and assistant to the agency, who potentially owns a bookstore with an "exclusive" section of rare books, scrolls, and other manuscripts.
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

Arion

Quote from: Sun Wukong on December 12, 2017, 04:05:03 PM
I will say almost everything in any kind of tomes will be either wrong or unrelated to what's happening as I don't want any kind of 'Oh this is what's going on' book to be a thing. So they could know of the Occult but in a more 'Devils and demons' kind of way than the more science and alien nature of this kind of thing. The specifics of what they have/know can be worked out though, some of it may have passing usefulness and it can at least provide a unique openness to surreal things involvement or thinking outside the box.

Very much on the same page with you- heavily expurgated volumes or ones that reference mythos works without direct knowledge of them.  Would totally spoil everything to be able to just walk into the back, flip open the Necronomicon, and be like "Oh, we're obviously dealing with the fungi from Yuggoth".

Totoro

Quote from: Arion on December 12, 2017, 04:09:09 PM
Very much on the same page with you- heavily expurgated volumes or ones that reference mythos works without direct knowledge of them.  Would totally spoil everything to be able to just walk into the back, flip open the Necronomicon, and be like "Oh, we're obviously dealing with the fungi from Yuggoth".

Yeah, glad you're on the same page this all sounds good and in line with the plan.

Not only that but my Mythos stuff that'll show up is heavily adapted/altered because I think the fun of a lovecraftian setting is surprised. Meeting something and knowing 'Oh it's Dagon' or 'Oh it's Cthulhu' takes the uncertainty and fear out of it, for me.

Totoro

Quote from: Arion on December 12, 2017, 06:33:37 PM

Name: James Engel

Birthdate:  April 9th, 1884

Occupation:  Bookseller and Collector, Occasional Consultant with the Evans and Peel Agency

Personality:  James is typically quiet and reserved, unless one can get him to talk about a subject he knows well, in which case he becomes quite verbose.  He will go on, at great length, unless stopped.  He prefers to spend much of his time in his store, which he lives above.

History: The only son of a German doctor and a British singer, James grew up in relative comfort, though was by no means wealthy.  Early on he found himself drawn to the subject of ancient cultures and civilizations, and has the spent the better part of his life studying them.  After attending university in the fields of archaeology and anthropology, he was part of two archaeological research teams to Egypt to study some of the smaller and lesser know pyramids.  It was while on the second of these expeditions that he acquired his taste for the... unusual, and began to study strange cults as well.

He is the owner of a small bookstore, which deals mostly in common volumes but which also has an "exclusive" section of the rare and sometimes unique tomes he collects, many of which he refuses to part with.  His particular treasures are copies of De Vermis Mysteriis, the Pnakotic Manuscripts, and the Unaussprechlichen Kulten, though all were acquired through a contact in Rome and are all heavily expurgated, missing many pages and mostly untranslatable.  He also possesses a copy of the Voynich Manuscript, which is likewise untranslatable.

Since the War and its aftermath, James has seen a sharp decline in his business and is often the subject of scorn when he ventures out, many referring to him as "that Kraut".

He has worked as a consultant with the Agency three times before, in each case being involved in some trifling matter- identifying particular artifacts or the like.

Skills:  Comprehensive knowledge of ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome, including their pantheons and religions.  Inquisitive mind.  Ability to speak English, German, Greek, and Latin, and able to read Egyptian Hieroglyphs.  Knows which way a gun should be pointed but not proficient in the use of firearms.

Looks good, would you mind PM'ing it to me just so I can double-check. I prefer to handle that stuff outside this thread if that's okay.