Map editing help!

Started by persephone325, February 23, 2018, 02:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

I'm doing some world building for a game I hope to launch soon, and I need some tips on how to edit the map I plan to use.

This is the map I'd like to use, and it's the best one I could find. I need all the major cities and whatnot, and the white background was a necessity.

The main points I need to address are:
Baton Rouge needs to be a neutral zone.
Shifters and Werewolf zones can't touch each other, so they would ideally be on opposite ends of the map.
Vampires and Witches have no problems with any of the races; it's just wolves and shifters that have tension.

I'm just not sure how big to make each area, and whatnot. I'd like for each zone to be equal size, but I don't really mind if they aren't.

Could anyone help me out? I'd be grateful!

Thanks.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Oniya

Are you using the whole state?  Also, are those the only four factions involved (five, with the neutral zone).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

persephone325

Quote from: Oniya on February 23, 2018, 02:23:27 AM
Are you using the whole state?  Also, are those the only four factions involved (five, with the neutral zone).

Yes, the whole state is the base of the RP.

And I forgot that humans are also involved. The main focus is that supernatural beings have come to light, and the game revolves around them getting along with each other as well as the humans.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Avis habilis

My favorite freebie image editor is Paint.NET. It lets you add layers to an image so it would be pretty easy to create five additional versions of the LA map, tint each a different color, then on each layer erase away everything that isn't that particular group's territory.

Oniya

I was more wondering if there were other 'neutral zones' (or at least territory that is not under the control of a given group - possibly due to 'aware' humans pushing back).  I have some GiMP experience and could possibly adapt a larger map to meet your requirements. 

Another question - what other 'shifters' were you including?  From my oWoD days, that could impact where they set up shop, and the Shifter 'territory' could conceivably be divided into a set of smaller regions.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Myrleena

My personal recommendation for free software is ChasysDraw. I used to use GIMP, but found it has slightly more versatile usability while still being free (my one complaint is it lacks an easy centering tool). I second Avis's suggestion on creating secondary layers that tint different territory.

persephone325

Quote from: Avis habilis on February 23, 2018, 08:13:01 AM
My favorite freebie image editor is Paint.NET. It lets you add layers to an image so it would be pretty easy to create five additional versions of the LA map, tint each a different color, then on each layer erase away everything that isn't that particular group's territory.

Ah! I'll have to check that out! I was searching for mad editors last night before I headed to bed, but couldn't find one that I liked. Thank you very much!

Quote from: Oniya on February 23, 2018, 01:12:27 PM
I was more wondering if there were other 'neutral zones' (or at least territory that is not under the control of a given group - possibly due to 'aware' humans pushing back).  I have some GiMP experience and could possibly adapt a larger map to meet your requirements. 

Another question - what other 'shifters' were you including?  From my oWoD days, that could impact where they set up shop, and the Shifter 'territory' could conceivably be divided into a set of smaller regions.

I hadn't really given too much thought to your first point, though I don't see that as being out of the question. Possibly a little territory off in one of the corners, or something similar. I imagine, for the game, that most of the humans living in Louisiana are at least OK with the existence of these creatures living among them.

Honestly, much of the shifter work was done by a friend - as they were more knowledgeable than I am. So I admit I don't know much about the different types of shifters. They can pretty much shapeshift into any animal they have seen and made an imprint upon; a la Sam Merlot from True Blood. They can't shift into another human, as that would kill them.

Quote from: Myrleena on February 23, 2018, 02:54:25 PM
My personal recommendation for free software is ChasysDraw. I used to use GIMP, but found it has slightly more versatile usability while still being free (my one complaint is it lacks an easy centering tool). I second Avis's suggestion on creating secondary layers that tint different territory.

I'll have to check that one out, too! Thank you as well!
I don't know.

Oniya

Quote from: persephone325 on February 23, 2018, 04:12:30 PM
Honestly, much of the shifter work was done by a friend - as they were more knowledgeable than I am. So I admit I don't know much about the different types of shifters. They can pretty much shapeshift into any animal they have seen and made an imprint upon; a la Sam Merlot from True Blood. They can't shift into another human, as that would kill them.

I'm not familiar with characters from True Blood, but I was thinking things like an alligator shifter living down in the bayou, or rat shifters living in cities - that sort of thing.  Places that might even be inhospitable to wolves (and therefore werewolves).  If a shifter can have multiple forms, it wouldn't necessarily have an 'environment', though.

persephone325

Quote from: Oniya on February 23, 2018, 04:44:38 PM
I'm not familiar with characters from True Blood, but I was thinking things like an alligator shifter living down in the bayou, or rat shifters living in cities - that sort of thing.  Places that might even be inhospitable to wolves (and therefore werewolves).  If a shifter can have multiple forms, it wouldn't necessarily have an 'environment', though.

Oh! I see what you meant now. I wasn't even thinking about that. lol

But yeah. I didn't really want to restrict too much how the shifters worked. They can't shift into mythical creatures, though. (Dragons, unicorns, etc.)
I don't know.

persephone325

Got everything sorted! ^^

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! :-) I appreciate it muchly! :P
I don't know.