Man snaps sixteen month old daughter spine in two.

Started by Glossolalia, October 10, 2008, 09:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

Someone should snap his spine in two.

Blaming marijuana for your actions is just as bad as parents blaming videogames for their children's behavior and not their own lack of parenting.

People like this make me sick. :/

If he was on PCP, then it could be drug related, but marijuana? Yeah... riiiight.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Pumpkin Seeds

Quote from: Inkidu on October 10, 2008, 11:14:00 PM
People tend to look at me funny when I say it's just plain evil. They want reasons.

No, people want an excuse.  They want some way to distance themselves from a human being that they find revolting, some definitive line to be drawn to say I am not like them.  People use labels such as "evil" and "drug abuser" and so many others to make these distinctions.  Allows them to continue on with their lives and beleive that they are above such things.  

ZK

Well, snapping your own child's spine is evil enough. But, excuses suck. If you're going to do something, stand by it. Good or evil. Sorry, but excuses is just as bad as the deed itself if it's negative.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

The Overlord

Quote from: Rhapsody on October 10, 2008, 09:35:31 PM

Have you ever smoked pot? Obviously not.   

I have.  Weed doesn't make you violent. 

Being a complete waste of skin assholw who thinks it's awesome to beat up on an infant makes you violent.

I'm going to have to back this up 110%. This guy is a complete waste of skin that would have ended up hurting or killing someone regardless...the really sad part of this is that some do-right group out there is going to use this to say "see? Pot is evil!!" I'm going to have to agree here, I doubt Inkidu has smoked it either.

Want to hear a theory? I warn you it's very pessimistic, perhaps even fatalistic, but the more and more I think about it...

OK, you're still here, here goes...

I don't believe the authorities and movers of society want to stop stuff like this, yes...you heard me, I think they may be that fargone.

It's the same with school violence; a student shoots up his high school or college, then they always hit the same tired old excuses. He listened to music with violent lyrics, he watched a horror flick, he played Grand Theft Auto the weekend before.

Bullshit. That the kid was a dysfunctional douchebag from an irreparably broken household, and was a timebomb waiting to go off because his life sucked to hell since his parents both worked 60+ hours and were never there to teach him proper, never comes up in the media. The parents are never to blame; accountability never exists. But yet all these so-called experts get on CNN and Fox and debate until they're blue in the face. They go through the same songs and dances, they blame the media, they state the bleeding obvious that it was horrible, and...they vow 'to make sure it never happens again'.

But it does happen again and all the Doctor Phil’s out there, in the immortal words of Admiral James T. Kirk; keep...missing...the...target.

With no intention of making light of these tragedies, in the grand scheme of things, they're just another statistic, barely a blip on the radar of the powers that be. What's the military phrase?...acceptable collateral damage, or something like that?

I mean, what do I know? I'm just a armchair philosopher parked behind my monitor with a glass of good whiskey and no doctorate to speak of in the medical field.

...yet, it dawned on me. Hmmm.

Inkidu

Quote from: Trieste on October 11, 2008, 12:08:03 AM
Eh, Locke was all about being born with nothing. White paper, tabula rasa, whatever. Although he stole it from Aristotle.

Ergo, Aristotle would be proud. <3
Eh my bad I meant Hobbs. I get my philosophers confused after eleven. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Rhapsody

Quote from: The Overlord on October 11, 2008, 04:29:26 AM
Bullshit. That the kid was a dysfunctional douchebag from an irreparably broken household, and was a timebomb waiting to go off because his life sucked to hell since his parents both worked 60+ hours and were never there to teach him proper, never comes up in the media. The parents are never to blame; accountability never exists. But yet all these so-called experts get on CNN and Fox and debate until they're blue in the face. They go through the same songs and dances, they blame the media, they state the bleeding obvious that it was horrible, and...they vow 'to make sure it never happens again'.

The only thing I'm going to point out here is that you can't shift the blame onto the parents, because that's excusing the kid's behaviour to some extent.  Unless they have some severe mental delusions, by the age of 13, you have a pretty good sense of right and wrong; pulling something like Columbine, or Virginia Tech, takes some pretty deliberate, willful and sociopathic thought processes. 

I read a story where a five year old brought his father's gun to school because he thought it'd be neat for show-and-tell.  THAT's the sort of thing you can blame parents for; with a gun in the house, they should have made -sure- to keep it locked up, as well as teaching the kid that guns are not a good thing to touch.  That's a far cry, though, from a teenager who comes to school armed to the teeth like a commando after acquiring machine guns and sawed-offs and shoot up their classmates simply because people laughed at them.

Sure, the parents have an influence. Sure, music and friends and video games and television have an influence.  Sure, everyone has violent fantasies now and then... but these people who willfully ignore the filter in their heads that delineate the real world from relatively harmless fantasies.  The lion's share of the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of those who thought it'd be a kick to bring illegal weapons into a school and start killing people.

Imma finish up with a quote from an episode of CSI called "Fannysmackin'". 

"You know, it kinda sounds like you guys are blaming everyone but these kids. I mean, you don't get a bye just because you grew up here or your parents are on drugs or--- those kids were perfectly capable of telling the difference between a wild night out and beating somebody to death."
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on October 11, 2008, 04:29:26 AM
I'm going to have to back this up 110%. This guy is a complete waste of skin that would have ended up hurting or killing someone regardless...the really sad part of this is that some do-right group out there is going to use this to say "see? Pot is evil!!" I'm going to have to agree here, I doubt Inkidu has smoked it either.

Want to hear a theory? I warn you it's very pessimistic, perhaps even fatalistic, but the more and more I think about it...

OK, you're still here, here goes...

I don't believe the authorities and movers of society want to stop stuff like this, yes...you heard me, I think they may be that fargone.

It's the same with school violence; a student shoots up his high school or college, then they always hit the same tired old excuses. He listened to music with violent lyrics, he watched a horror flick, he played Grand Theft Auto the weekend before.

But it does happen again and all the Doctor Phil’s out there, in the immortal words of Admiral James T. Kirk; keep...missing...the...target.

With no intention of making light of these tragedies, in the grand scheme of things, they're just another statistic, barely a blip on the radar of the powers that be. What's the military phrase?...acceptable collateral damage, or something like that?

I mean, what do I know? I'm just a armchair philosopher parked behind my monitor with a glass of good whiskey and no doctorate to speak of in the medical field.

...yet, it dawned on me. Hmmm.

Like I said, people tend to look at me funny when I say that there is just evil out there. They want something they can control, something tangible.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Greenthorn

How did this become a debate about drugs?

How about...the guy needs to be tortured until he dies from shock or blood loss..whichever comes first...and I'll smoke a joint watching it.

Trieste

Quote from: Greenthorn on October 11, 2008, 08:36:13 AM

How about...the guy needs to be tortured until he dies from shock or blood loss..whichever comes first...and I'll smoke a joint watching it.

You should wait until after Massachusetts decriminalizes weed so you can't get arrested for it. *nodnod*

Greenthorn

Quote from: Trieste on October 11, 2008, 10:09:47 AM
You should wait until after Massachusetts decriminalizes weed so you can't get arrested for it. *nodnod*

Well I would -never- do anything illegal!!

Inkidu

Quote from: Asku on October 11, 2008, 01:42:34 AM
No, people want an excuse.  They want some way to distance themselves from a human being that they find revolting, some definitive line to be drawn to say I am not like them.  People use labels such as "evil" and "drug abuser" and so many others to make these distinctions.  Allows them to continue on with their lives and beleive that they are above such things.  
Oh here it goes, moral relativity. Face it, there are just somethings in the world that are evil.

Trieste

Quote from: Inkidu on October 11, 2008, 11:33:04 AM
Oh here it goes, moral relativity. Face it, there are just somethings in the world that are evil.

Excuse you. The whole central node of many debates is 'evil' and what falls under that heading. Is abortion evil, is execution evil? ... I understand your exasperation, but please do not order others to share your worldview.

Inkidu

Quote from: Trieste on October 11, 2008, 12:46:54 PM
Excuse you. The whole central node of many debates is 'evil' and what falls under that heading. Is abortion evil, is execution evil? ... I understand your exasperation, but please do not order others to share your worldview.
I don't recall ordering anyone to do anything. I just recall using the words face it, which are pretty commonplace in making a point. No but I think torturing your daughter for months and the possibly breaking her back over your knee is evil.

Trieste

Quote from: Inkidu on October 11, 2008, 11:33:04 AM

Second-person imperative is essentially an order.

Inkidu

Quote from: Trieste on October 11, 2008, 01:39:20 PM
Second-person imperative is essentially an order.
Fine if you just have no better reason than grammar. I'm sorry.

Trieste

Thank you.

The thing is, I'm not arguing against your having an opinion. I'm not arguing the validity of your opinion one way or the other. My point was that others don't have to SHARE your opinion, and that's where my problem was.

I really don't think you'll get anyone arguing that this guy was a saint, or anything. Well. Maybe Overlord, if he's feeling ornery... but I doubt even he wants to do that. :P

Inkidu

Quote from: Trieste on October 11, 2008, 02:20:27 PM
Thank you.

The thing is, I'm not arguing against your having an opinion. I'm not arguing the validity of your opinion one way or the other. My point was that others don't have to SHARE your opinion, and that's where my problem was.

I really don't think you'll get anyone arguing that this guy was a saint, or anything. Well. Maybe Overlord, if he's feeling ornery... but I doubt even he wants to do that. :P
I was kind of being sarcastic, but I see the point.

Sherona

Quote from: Inkidu on October 10, 2008, 11:14:00 PM
People tend to look at me funny when I say it's just plain evil. They want reasons.

Um yes. Most people want reasons behind opinions. Is why so many people et frusterated with...those...who just spout opinions without facts or reasons to support said opinions.

I could say.

The sky is not Blue...its pink and purple polkadot, the grass is red, and the oceans are made of metamorphic rock.

Then just leave...hmm yeha people aren't going to be likely to believe me, or respect my opinions if I didn't atleast attempt at showing the evidence of why I believe such.

That being said.

I use marijuana as a relaxant. I am high strung, over stressed, all part of my chronic depression symptoms. I don't use it every day, or even every week but when I am in a Low and I find myself unable to sit down and just chill, I do light up.

I know many cancer patients who use, I know many chronic pain that is aleviated from it, I know in many countries medicinal marijuana is legal, and frankly I am actually actively trying to push for that here.

I will say this. as long as its illegal, and people buy from unethical drug dealers then there is a good possibility that pot is laced with other drugs, PCP was the big t hing in the 90's...this could account for the person who got violent....since pot is proven to be a relaxant...but everyone's body chemistry is different too. I took muscle relaxers after my stint in the hospital many years ago, it was to help keep my muscles loose and not tense...can't remember the name of it right now but I will eventually....in very rare cases some people's muscles actaully spasmed uncontrollably on this medicine..which is odd since it IS a relaxant..*shrugs* But to say that osmething is utterly evil with out study but only one or two witnessed accounts...when you don't know the variables...such as, was the pot intentionally or unintentionally imbibed with other drugs?

Frankly I would much rather meet someone high on pot in a dark alley then someone drunk from whiskey...

The Overlord

Quote from: Greenthorn on October 11, 2008, 08:36:13 AM

The article was titled Cannabis abuser 'snapped his 16-month-old daughter's back in two'...I brought up because you KNOW the anti-pot cheerleaders out there will be all over this as reason to step up laws against it.

I don't know what the death penalty laws are over there, if any, but I agree this scum needs to die. Hell, give me an expense-paid trip over there and I'll pull the switch for you...someone's got to do it.  >:(

The Overlord

Quote from: Trieste on October 11, 2008, 02:20:27 PM

Umm...no.

The Overlord

Quote from: Rhapsody on October 11, 2008, 07:36:27 AM
The only thing I'm going to point out here is that you can't shift the blame onto the parents, because that's excusing the kid's behaviour to some extent.  Unless they have some severe mental delusions, by the age of 13, you have a pretty good sense of right and wrong; pulling something like Columbine, or Virginia Tech, takes some pretty deliberate, willful and sociopathic thought processes. 

It's not really my intent to put all the blame on the family, but almost invariably the blame for these things are assigned an external and high-profile cause by the media.

I don't know how the UK stacks up in comparison, but we've raped the American nuclear family. These kids today are ungracious smartass little shits because any kind of physical discipline is seen as bad. We have to worry about going to war with someone who might complain that they seen us spank a child in public and now there's just a 'time-out'.

I'm sounding more and more like my father, but like he said, sometimes kids need a 'good crack in the ass' to straighten them out. My siblings and I; we got a few in our formative years when we fucked up, and guess what? It didn't make us drug-addicted baby-killers. Sometimes kids need a good smack upside something to spell it out for them, some of them are dense as hell and don't get it otherwise. A lot of the crap we're seeing today starts and ends in the home.

Rhapsody

Quote from: The Overlord on October 12, 2008, 01:11:22 AMI'm sounding more and more like my father, but like he said, sometimes kids need a 'good crack in the ass' to straighten them out. My siblings and I; we got a few in our formative years when we fucked up, and guess what? It didn't make us drug-addicted baby-killers. Sometimes kids need a good smack upside something to spell it out for them, some of them are dense as hell and don't get it otherwise. A lot of the crap we're seeing today starts and ends in the home.

I have two kids, and I do my best by them, but you know what?  We're not allowed to punish our kids anymore without the fear of some government agency coming down on us to snatch them away. Do you know that most of them consider spanking to be abusive?  That sending them to their rooms to ride out a tantrum or as punishment is "confinement"?  Maybe this is me trying to pass the buck onto the government, but I've had discussions with social workers about this very thing at my son's preschool.

If my husband and I even so much as argue, and my son mentions something about it at preschool, the government requires, requires the teachers and workers at his school to call Child, Youth and Family Services (CPS) to inform them.  They can't call us and talk about it until after the social workers contact us.  And if they don't call CYFS about the argument my son mentioned, and the government finds out about it?  There goes their funding.

I shit you not my friend.  Can't spank 'em.  Can't send 'em to their rooms.  Half the time, you can't raise your voices to them either, for fear of some social worker showing up on your doorstep.  With kids being told to call Child Protection if Mommy or Daddy hit you, kids who got spanked once as punishment for something they did have just as much reason to report their parents as the kid who's getting beat to shit every other day by his drunken father.   Does that seem right to you?

Raising a kid today, my dear, means we're effectively neutered for authority, unless we want to risk having our kids taken from us.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on October 11, 2008, 10:47:35 PM
Um yes. Most people want reasons behind opinions. Is why so many people et frusterated with...those...who just spout opinions without facts or reasons to support said opinions.

I could say.

The sky is not Blue...its pink and purple polkadot, the grass is red, and the oceans are made of metamorphic rock.

Then just leave...hmm yeha people aren't going to be likely to believe me, or respect my opinions if I didn't atleast attempt at showing the evidence of why I believe such.

That being said.

I use marijuana as a relaxant. I am high strung, over stressed, all part of my chronic depression symptoms. I don't use it every day, or even every week but when I am in a Low and I find myself unable to sit down and just chill, I do light up.

I know many cancer patients who use, I know many chronic pain that is aleviated from it, I know in many countries medicinal marijuana is legal, and frankly I am actually actively trying to push for that here.

I will say this. as long as its illegal, and people buy from unethical drug dealers then there is a good possibility that pot is laced with other drugs, PCP was the big t hing in the 90's...this could account for the person who got violent....since pot is proven to be a relaxant...but everyone's body chemistry is different too. I took muscle relaxers after my stint in the hospital many years ago, it was to help keep my muscles loose and not tense...can't remember the name of it right now but I will eventually....in very rare cases some people's muscles actaully spasmed uncontrollably on this medicine..which is odd since it IS a relaxant..*shrugs* But to say that osmething is utterly evil with out study but only one or two witnessed accounts...when you don't know the variables...such as, was the pot intentionally or unintentionally imbibed with other drugs?

Frankly I would much rather meet someone high on pot in a dark alley then someone drunk from whiskey...
I would much rather prefer neither. However, part of what an opinion is, is that it doesn't need to have facts. Did you ever do fact and opinion questions? The question isn't whether or not there is evil that's perfectly clear, the question is what constitutes evil.

Mathim

The only thing I know weed was to blame for was a story my foster father told me; some girl was high and driving a car, then hit a homeless man who crashed through her windshield and was impaled on the glass. She pulled into her garage and left him there, bleeding, where he died, because she was too freaked out to do anything about it.

In this case, I think the 'jobless' part was probably a bigger culprit than pot, if pot was even a factor at all. Depression and anger are a dangerous mix, and with no one to take it out on, well, someone defenseless, even one's own young flesh and blood, end up being the ones. I know that unfortunate truth well.

I don't get why he smoked it, was he trying to mellow out or what? If that was the case, it sure as hell didn't work. Or just to dull his senses so he wouldn't have to feel the guilt of it? It doesn't really matter, he's the worst kind of person and should be tortured to death. I say fuck the eighth amendment, sometimes they need to punish people harshly to get the message across.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Trieste

Quote from: Mathim on October 14, 2008, 12:08:22 PM
The only thing I know weed was to blame for was a story my foster father told me; some girl was high and driving a car, then hit a homeless man who crashed through her windshield and was impaled on the glass. She pulled into her garage and left him there, bleeding, where he died, because she was too freaked out to do anything about it.

Urban legend: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/bargrill.asp

Meant to scare people off drugs/drinking/sex while driving/whatever. A car is not a bubble. Even fucked up, you know you've hit something when you hit it, especially something as large as a human man. The car pulls, and it does damage. You may not realise WHAT you hit all the time, but you know you've hit something.