New Game Options

Started by Vandren, July 26, 2005, 05:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Hi folks,

I'm looking to start up a new game and have two ideas (since the B5 idea flopped due to lack of interest, apparently):

Option 1:
- Medieval Mage Academy - fantasy mage academy using either GURPS or freeform (see poll above), with all races, etc. imaginable available (with Mod approval, of course), set in an undeveloped original world - I'll just give a bare bones description of the facility and nearby town - providing room for nearly any character background.

Option 2:
- Diagon Alley based Harry Potter's London game - freeform, basically a non-Hogwarts centered HP game (allowing a couple non-Humans).

Yes, I'm mage based in my thinking, atm (ok, usually ;)).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Lirliel

I like the standard Mage Academy more, it gives more variety :)

PS, Intrested
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Vandren

Quote from: Lirliel on July 26, 2005, 10:46:05 PM
I like the standard Mage Academy more, it gives more variety :)

I was kinda thinking the same thing.  I'd like to see a non-Hogwarts based Potter game sometime.  And I'd be glad to run one.  THough I've gotta admit, I'm in a school mood for some reason.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vandren

Hi all,

Thanks for the votes . . . just thought I'd put up the intros I've slapped together for both options:

Medieval Mage Academy
Somewhere along the northern edge of the civilized lands is the University of the Magical Arts, known to most as the Mage Academy.  Only those who need to find the academy are capable of doing so, unless invited, thanks to numerous wards set in place centuries ago to keep pitchfork wielding mobs away.  Physically, the academy is a solid stone motte-and-bailey style castle with a seventy foot (~21.5m) tower sitting on a high tor.  Within the wall are several outbuildings of various sorts.  The protective dome extends about 100 yards (~92.3m) in any direction.  The weather changes at the whim of the school’s hidden high adept (whom no one ever sees).  A half day’s ride to the south is a small town which caters to the school.  Instruction is handled by magi and adepts, in return for gifts from their students (the school only gives them room and board).  There are no formal class schedules or periods, however, students are encouraged to learn from two or more teachers.  All non-teaching staff are of the master rank.

(We’ll shoot for an IC day change every month - two weeks RT daytime, two weeks nighttime, if that works for the majority.)

(I'm setting up a slight point system to indicate relative strength in various magical areas, and a voting system for increasing those points/gaining other prizes.  Just to keep the munchies out.  :))

Diagon Alley
It has been ten years since the last time Voldemort manifested himself.  Ten years since he was fought off.  This time, eyewitnesses confirm that he is dead and gone forever.

This doesn’t mean that all Dark wizards and witches are gone, though.  Nor does it mean that Voldemort’s followers are entirely gone.  Some of the Death Eaters still hold out the hope that their master will return once again.  And there’s always the chance that another will rise and take his place.

In the meantime, the wizards and witches of London get on with their lives.  They laugh, cry, play, shop, sell, and barter, moving on and conducting normal existences.  At least as normal as any wizarding existence can be, compared to Muggle lives.

One of the major centers of those lives is the vibrant street known as Diagon Alley.

So, walk through the Leaky Cauldron, tap the proper brick, and come join them . . .

(Remember that high concentrations of magical energy interfere with Muggle technology, so anything requiring electricity, gunpowder, etc. won’t work in the Alley.)

Vandren

I'd like to get a few more votes/posts of interest before deciding here.  But, the poll's up until the 9th.  By then, I'd like to get 4-5 interested, at least.

Vandren

Since there's been more interest in MMA (Medieval Mage Academy), here's a question:

LS (Light Sexual - consentual Human kin)
L&W (Light & Weird - consentual anything goes)
NCNF (Non-Consentual Normal Freeform - Human kin, which I assume includes hybrids like Fauns and Centaurs), or
NCEF (Non-Consentual Exotic Freeform - anything goes within player limits)?

Lirliel

NCNF would be more into my book :)
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Vandren

It's looking like MMA in NCNF, run by the RD of the NSA and the DD of the AARP's PA.

Ok, not really, but there were too many abbreviations to pass up on.  :)  But, I'll give it anothe rweek for final votes to be cast and comments to be made (since the poll ends on the 9th).

(Medieval Mage Academy in Non-Consentual Normal Freeform, the Regional Director of the National Security Agency, the Deputy Director's, I'm not sure what AARP stands for, Personal Assistant

Lirliel

AARP: Assbanging Ape Restoration Project?

Or something like that :P

Vandren

Quote from: Lirliel on August 02, 2005, 11:10:05 AM
AARP: Assbanging Ape Restoration Project?

Or something like that :P

Hmm . . . methinks that'd violate the site rules re: bestiality.  The insurance rates for members has gotta be really high too . . .  ;)

Lirliel

Hmm.. true true, but it could be a concious ape ;)

Vandren

Unconscious would certainly work better.  ;)

Hmm, wonder who voted for a GURPS version . . . and who the other three voters for freeform and the one for Diagon are.  :)

Darwishi

I just now voted for Diagon Alley...seems a better place for seedier things to happen. ^^  Although I think I'd be happy with the other thing too...so long as there's not uniforms. =OP

Vandren

Well, I wasn't planning on uniforms, but now that you mention it . . . ;)  With MMA, there'd be no spandex either, but corset-style bodices and skin tight silk or magic material's entirely likely.  :D

Darwishi

Yeah but there's magically created spandex...which is just as good, if not better even. ^^

Vandren

Possible (being a fantasy world, a different name might be in order, but NP).  :)

Btw: I am planning a simple set of ratings for types of magic (healing, fire, necromancy, etc.) for freeform.  Not rules, per se.  Just something to be set up so Fred and George don't start arguing about whose character is the more powerful fire mage, etc.  It'll be simple point based on character rank (apprentices, journeypersons, masters/mistresses, magi, adepts), the points spent on different types of magic.  If anyone wants to use that for conflict resolution, a simple rating + 1d6 comparison can ensue, but won't be required.  Sound alright?

Darwishi

This is what I read

Possible (being a fantasy world, a different name might be in order, but NP). 

Btw: I am planning a simple set of ratings for types of magic (healing, fire, necromancy, etc.) for freeform.  Not rules, per se.  Just something to be set up so Fred and George don't start arguing about whose character is the more powerful fire mage, etc.  It'll be simple point based on character rank (blah, blah, blah, blah), the points spent on different types of magic.  If anyone wants to use that for conflict resolution, a simple rating + 1d6 comparison can ensue, but won't be required.  Sound alright?

So, basically, I understand just about everything...save for the actual character ranks.  Did I mention I don't play fantasy that much? ^^;;  OH and as for a different name, how about Magic-ex...or Spangic...lol.  Or Stretchy-stuff-that's-shiny-and-looks-a-lot-like-spandex-but-isn't?  Also, what kind of clothes are available? ^^ Like I know I've seen jeans and such in the harry potter movies, and hoodies...and um...that's pretty much all I can think of, just wondering what can and can't be worn so I don't look like a complete moron.

Vandren

For MMA, I'm talking medieval/renaissance.  Anything on the following sites would be roughly speaking period:

http://tudorshoppe.com/
http://www.ancientcircles.com/
http://www.museumreplicas.com/
http://www.renfestival.com/  (has some nice pics)
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/elfwood.pike  (Good artwork page, some of the artists are mediocre, but most're good)

Movie-wise, think Kingdom of Heaven, A Knight's Tale (just ignore Heath Ledger's love interest's attire), Shakespeare in Love, Dragonheart, Braveheart that sort of thing.  :)

Darwishi

This is modern day, right?  lol, I'm just wondering because I thought there were wizards that courted muggles and stuff.  ^^

Vandren

Quote from: Darwishi on August 03, 2005, 11:51:26 PM
This is modern day, right?  lol, I'm just wondering because I thought there were wizards that courted muggles and stuff.  ^^

The Diagon Alley game would be modern day, yes.  :)

The Medieval Mage Academy game would be a more classic fantasy setting (medieval/renaissance era).  :)  A modern version is my current Sorcery University game in NCEF.

Oh, some more fantasy attire links:

http://www.planewalker.com/index.php (has some pics buried around)

Movies: Lord of the Rings (all three)

Elliquiy Games (character descriptions): Elven Maiden v. Human Barbarian, Medieval Master and Servant (both have some really good fantasy character appearances/attire).

Vandren

Quotesave for the actual character ranks.

Oops, forgot to handle this one.  The "ranks" are based on the medieval guild system - Apprentices being the lowest/newest students, Journeymen(-women) knowing the basics but still attached to a Master/Mistress (one who has proven that he or she knows enough and is skilled enough to be working alone - usually via some prize piece of work, thus a "masterpiece").  Then adding two post-Master ranks denoting even greater education/control - Magi and Adept.  They were lifted from Issac Bonewits' Authentic Thaumaturgy (out of print, SJGames).

One can also think of them these ways:

Rank = American Education (Harry Potter Education)

Adept = PhD (oldest Hogwarts teachers, Dumbledore)
Magi = Masters degree (average Hogwarts teacher)
Master = completed Bachelors degree (average Hogwarts graduate)
Journeyman = high school junior to college junior (5th to 7th years at Hogwarts)
Apprentice = early middle school to high school sophomore (1st ro 4th years at Hogwarts)

or something like that.  :)

Darwishi

I think I'd probably play a Master or Magi, so she could dress the way she wants. =OP  Also, how skilled can one be in fisticuffs? Hmm, or maybe I'll go check out Sorcery U or something. ^^

Vandren

Quote from: Darwishi on August 04, 2005, 01:41:07 PM
I think I'd probably play a Master or Magi, so she could dress the way she wants. =OP  Also, how skilled can one be in fisticuffs? Hmm, or maybe I'll go check out Sorcery U or something. ^^

There'll be no dress code, so anyone can dress however they (or the individual teaching them) want to.  :)  Fisticuffs?  No problem.  ;)

(I'm not sure how much longer Sorcery U'll be lasting.  Depends on whether some of the players are gone for good or just resting.  3-4 vanished without warning.)

Darwishi

Also, is there ethnicity issues?  I just don't see a lot of asians or anything in the schools...and as you probably know by now, I'm rather new to the fantasy realm of things so I ask a shit load of questions. ^^

Vandren

Quote from: Darwishi on August 04, 2005, 02:00:02 PM
Also, is there ethnicity issues?  I just don't see a lot of asians or anything in the schools...and as you probably know by now, I'm rather new to the fantasy realm of things so I ask a shit load of questions. ^^

Any ethnicity you want is fine with me (race too, though I draw the line at Drow, Kender, half-Dragons, and other such setting specific stuff - if you don't know what Drow, Kender, et. al. are, then you're safe).  To be honest, I have nothing against Drow and Kender.  What I have is issues with the average person who tries (and I emphasize tries) to play one.  The vast majority fail miserably, and it doesn't help that most people who want to play Drow want to play them because "they're, like, sooo kewl and evel and stuff."  *shudder*