Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Started by Remiel, May 01, 2011, 10:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Well it did come down to the fact he'd be somewhere like that.. surprised he had family around him..but not too much so.

MagicalPen

He does have a HUGE family, and there are millions of people in the Mid-East who would give their lives for him.

I would love to hear details on the operation that finally got him - its taken 10 years afterall - and I am sure there will be a book in the next year or two about it.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Destiny Ascension

Book then a movie, starring... who?

US Special Operations Forces FOR THE WIN!
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

BCdan

That's what he gets for subscribing to the playstation network using his real address. 

/totally stole that joke

~I enjoy random PM's~

RubySlippers

Good, now Obama should order all troops in Afghanistan and Iraq home asap we got the bastard and 9/11 has been avenged.

I think we all need to thank the Navy Seals for their skill at taking the fraker out with extreme efficiency and the brave men and women fighting in the lines its time we get them out lets say in six months, minus a stronger embassy presence marine contingent for security.

TheLovelyMaid

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on May 01, 2011, 11:09:56 PM

+1

For all the people he has harmed over the decades, justice has been done. Can our troops come home now?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RubySlippers on May 02, 2011, 12:00:54 AM
Good, now Obama should order all troops in Afghanistan and Iraq home asap we got the bastard and 9/11 has been avenged.

I think we all need to thank the Navy Seals for their skill at taking the fraker out with extreme efficiency and the brave men and women fighting in the lines its time we get them out lets say in six months, minus a stronger embassy presence marine contingent for security.

Oh yeah.. just leave everything in the clutch and unfinished. That is what we did with the 'victory' in Afghanistan rather than helping them rebuild their country.. What came out of that? The Taliban and El Queada.

I'm sorry, retreating to our own country and putting our metaphorical heads in the sand won't do anything but give his supporters an opening to regain control of Afghanistan. Isolationism has never done the US any good, only gave the folks we eventually faced time to build up strength.

Once started we have to finish. Do I think Iraq was ill thought out? Yes, I personally think we should have finished Afghanistan before looking elsewhere, but once we started rebuilding the country we have to give them the support they need. Otherwise you might was well give Iran (and possibly Turkey and Syria) a map of the country and tell them to cut off the chunks they want. Fix it now.. or twenty years from now our children will be back in the dirt all over again.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Destiny Ascension on May 01, 2011, 11:09:56 PM
Book then a movie, starring... who?

Always said Joaquin Phoenix is the man who should play bin Laden in a film. He'd be excellent.

Totally okay with having bin Laden dead, but make no mistake we're sure to see some assaults in retaliation to this.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Brandon

When I heard the news I was at a bar having a few drinks with one of my girlfriends and some friends. I was pretty happy about it and the owner asked everyone to quiet down so we could watch CNN's report of it. I wish they could have taken him alive but I knew from day one it wouldnt happen.

Since he has been taken out its finally time to bring our soldiers home and they all deserve a hero's welcome

Make no mistake though, this whole thing with terrorist cells is far from over.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Neroon

Indeed not.  However, removing the head from a snake goes a very long way towards killing it.  There is always the risk of al Quaeda putting the martyr's mantle on bin Laden but I honestly believe that this is the turning point.  From this point on, provided we don't thing "Job Done" and cease the efforts to root out and destroy every element of this dreadful organisation, the end of al Quaeda is in sight.  It might take years more and probably decades but the struggle to end this threat will eventually be successful.

I have to think of parallels with Red Army Faction.  These terrorists created havoc and used a similar cell system to that we think al Quaeda uses.  It was after the leaders were neutralised that the Faction slowly decayed, with the number of atrocities committed by them decreasing over the subsequent decades.  The factor that eventually was crucial to the Faction's demise was the end of state sponsorship for it by the DDR.  After German reunification, it was revealed that the East German government harboured the Faction's members and even helped them evade capture by providing them with fake identities.  Reunification cut this source of succour for the faction off and combining that with a lack of leadership, the end of the group's activities was inevitable.

Consequently, though we have removed bin Laden as the head of al Queada, the west must not use this as an excuse for giving up the difficult struggle in Afghanistan.  The Taliban have provided al Quaeda with support similar to that provided by the DDR to the Red Army Faction and unless there is some end to their disagreements with the West, al Quaeda will take much much longer to wither and die.  It may be that the only solution is a military one, though, frankly, I doubt it, given the fact that Iran is providing the Taliban support.  The combination of firm military resolve, a dramatic improvement in the standard of living in Western Europe over that in the countries of the Warsaw Pact and significant diplomacy between the USA and the USSR led to the ultimate end of the cold war and with it the Red Army Faction.

As yet, I see no efforts made to engage politically with Iran or the Taliban.  Without bin Laden pushing, there is a hope now that, once the dust has settled, such diplomacy can begin.  The struggle must continue, with military resolve providing the backing to diplomatic overtures.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Pointless Digression

Quote from: RubySlippers on May 02, 2011, 12:00:54 AM

What the blazes does bin Laden have to do with Iraq? That's like saying, "Now that bin Laden is dead, we should totally get our troops out of South Korea ASAP."

Quote from: Remiel on May 01, 2011, 10:42:08 PM
As reported on CNN.

Better late than never, I suppose.

This is more or less exactly what I thought when I first heard the news. After all, this comes almost ten years after September 11th.

But I also think this is not the best option I could have imagined for when the day came that we found him. The best option I pictured involved us capturing him, putting him on trial, and allowing him to spend the rest of his life in a Supermax facility in the desert somewhere. As it is, like Neroon said, he's seen as a martyr.

Better a martyr than alive and active. But better a symbol of the triumph of a civilized justice system than a martyr, in my opinion.

But less good /= bad, so I'll just wrap this up with some admiration for the men and women of special forces who planned and executed this operation, and breathe a sigh of relief that he's not still out there.

MagicalPen

Quite interesting that they buried him at Sea. No body, no grave, no shrine.

I am still shocked AQ and the likes haven't responded to his death - at least to the Media. Like HH said, it seems the whole organization is in shock as their leader is now gone.

The more facts that are released the more amazing the whole thing seems.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Remiel

Quote from: Pointless Digression on May 02, 2011, 07:29:19 AM
But less good /= bad, so I'll just wrap this up with some admiration for the men and women of special forces who planned and executed this operation, and breathe a sigh of relief that he's not still out there.

And the CIA as well for developing leads, keeping those leads secret for years, and finally bringing the plan into fruition.  Supposedly there were 0 American casualties on the raid.  Who knows if that's actually true, but if it is, that speaks to the efficiency of the military and intelligence organisations.

Hopefully this will finally convince those who still insist that President Obama is a Muslim, or at least an Al-Queda, sympathizer--or at least silence them.

Oniya

Quote from: Eeyore on May 02, 2011, 11:26:39 AM
Quite interesting that they buried him at Sea. No body, no grave, no shrine.

According to Muslim religious law (much like Jewish law), the body must be buried within 24 hours.  There weren't a whole lot of options.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cheka Man

Pity they didn't cremate him after putting pork fat on him.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Cheka Man on May 02, 2011, 11:34:55 AM

As much as I'd like to do something like that myself, I think they did right by honoring tradition and keeping to the 'high ground' in the treatment of the body.

Though I wish they had taken him alive, the rest of his natural life in a 5 by 5 cell in a prison in the middle of no-where rotting has an appeal to it.

Revolverman

Quote from: Cheka Man on May 02, 2011, 11:34:55 AM

Desecrating the body would have done nothing but prove the point to his followers.

Oniya

Quote from: Revolverman on May 02, 2011, 12:55:15 PM
Desecrating the body would have done nothing but prove the point to his followers.

It also would have pissed off those Muslims who have sided with us and against him.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tambit

What we should be worried about now is retaliation.  He may have been the Ace of Spades, but he was not the only card in the deck!  Sure, we'e taken him out, but others will follow.  Others will lead.  And others will likely kill in his memory.

Cheka Man

Revolverman

Quote from: Tambit on May 02, 2011, 03:05:32 PM
What we should be worried about now is retaliation.  He may have been the Ace of Spades, but he was not the only card in the deck!  Sure, we'e taken him out, but others will follow.  Others will lead.  And others will likely kill in his memory.

I doubt it. Al-Quada is a shell of what it was, and the US seems to be good at catching Terrorists before they act now (at least in the US)

Edit: Even if something happens in Pakistan, India is sitting with a huge army just waiting in case Islamic terrorists make a move for Islamabad.

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Cheka Man on May 02, 2011, 03:20:03 PM
How does one kill an idea?

The cynic in me wants to say, "By killing everyone who holds that idea."

After all, today speaks of Catharism? Manichaeism seems to be a dead movement in the history of ideas.

Ideas die when people forget.

Inerrant Lust

Quote from: Remiel on May 01, 2011, 10:42:08 PMBetter late than never, I suppose.

Oh GOD! Osama Bin Lichdom!

It was all a ruse! When he rises from the sea atop Cthulhu, he will be more powerful than we can ever imagine!

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.