Dark Universe - Classic Movie Monsters United! (Now Recruiting)

Started by Mathim, November 13, 2018, 06:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

So I know that Universal's attempt to cash in on the shared universe market fizzled with that lackluster Mummy reboot, but I love the concept behind it and would like to see if we can make the idea work here for a group game.

The premise would be similar to Jekyll's organization in the movie (we can come up with a better name than Prodigium), where those who study and combat threats of that supernatural nature muster their forces and prepare for the attack from at least half the pantheon of monsters who don't have humanity's best interests at heart.

This would be a bit of a twist on that, in that the descendants of the monsters' enemies/creators/associates will be the founders and operators within the organization, such as the descendants of Van Helsing, Frankenstein, etc.

Ideally Dracula will be the archvillain of the monster pantheon and be recruiting into his dark order, while others such as perhaps Frankenstein's monster will be less inclined to help him. Or the human half of the Wolfman will be good while the wolf half will be evil. Lots of possibilities. And yes, gender fluidity will be welcome for established characters, although it would be appreciated for anyone wanting to play a female Dracula to perhaps play as a vampiric version of Lilith, and a female Frankenstein's monster still resemble the Bride of Frankenstein rather than the more Lurch-y sort.

Anyway, let's see if this catches anyone's eye, and feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.

**************************************************************************************************

The year is 1985. A secretive agency has been preparing for a catastrophe hundreds of years in the making. Many prophecies have been made about an impending event that would spell the end of humankind's dominion over the earth if it is not averted. But this is no natural disaster; it is the return of the darkest beings known to man. Thought to be legends to the majority of humanity, they are very real and have merely lain dormant, lying in wait for the time to rise again and reclaim earth as their exclusive domain.

Are you one of the brave men and women of the agency, trained and prepared to fight for mankind's future? Are you one of the creatures, but friendly the plight of man? Or are you one of the sinister beasts, eager to play your role in plunging earth into darkness for the foreseeable future?

Just for reference, here is a list of potential characters and creatures we will need to have roles filled for in order to make the game feel 'whole'.

Van Helsing family descendants
Frankenstein family descendants
O'Connell family descendants
Jekyll/Hyde family descendants

Dracula/Brides of Dracula/(Other misc. vampires - less priority than Drac and named ones)
Frankenstein's Monster/Bride of Frankenstein
Wolfman/Werewolf
Mummy
Invisible Man
Creature From the Black Lagoon/Gill Man
Phantom of the Opera
Hunchback of Notre Dame/Igor

[float=right][img height=300][/img][/float]
[font=arial][b]Name/Identity:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Role/Alignment:[/b]
[b]Sex Preference (Self-identification and preferred pairing):[/b]
[b]O/Os:[/b]
[b]Special Skills/Talents/Abilities:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b]
[b]Distinguishing Features:[/b]
[b]Face Claim:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]

Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Norsegod1839

Kadigan

Norsegod1839

AmandaShow

Entrapta: “Did you hear that, Emily? I’ve never had a lab partner before!"

Mathim

Quote from: AmandaShow on November 13, 2018, 08:44:12 PM
Here I am, rock you like a hurricane! :D

That's what should have been played when Thor finally showed up on the battlefield in Infinity War.

So, anyone want to claim a favorite character or their namesake?

Also, I had thought this should take place in the era of Monster Squad, i.e. the 1980's rather than the more archaic eras of the original films and even the newer reboot. Prior to cell phones and internet, just to make things more challenging.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Norsegod1839

I was debating either Van Helsing or Frankenstein as my name sake.

AmandaShow

Countess Dracula ;) if that is acceptable. Lilith just doesnt have the same flair as Dracula

Kadigan

I have two thoughts...

One being a descendant of the Creature of the Black Lagoon..or an offshoot of the same race, more an Aquawoman type (I've been eyeing AndrAIa from Reboot as sort of inspiration..)

My second, and just thought of and more preferred, is a descendant of the O'Connell's from The Mummy, sort of a Lara Croft Abbey Chase kind of type..if that movie would be considered "canon" to the game.

Mathim

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on November 13, 2018, 09:26:02 PM
I have two thoughts...

One being a descendant of the Creature of the Black Lagoon..or an offshoot of the same race, more an Aquawoman type (I've been eyeing AndrAIa from Reboot as sort of inspiration..)

My second, and just thought of and more preferred, is a descendant of the O'Connell's from The Mummy, sort of a Lara Croft Abbey Chase kind of type..if that movie would be considered "canon" to the game.

Sure, I was going to integrate all generations of those movies as potential canon, so anyone from any of the Mummy movies is fair game for someone working for the for-now nameless organization. Just no Abbot and Costello, much as they interacted with the Dark Universe.

Kadigan

Although if Norse decides to not go with Van Helsing, I might prefer that for some of the ideas I've been having.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on November 13, 2018, 09:26:02 PM
I have two thoughts...

My vote would be for the O'Connel descendant but Barb if you want Van Helsing you can have him/her

AmandaShow

No Abbott and Costello? There go my 2nd AND 3rd ideas for characters :p

Mathim

I wonder what that says about your first idea, LOL.

Anyone not cool with this being in the 80's? I didn't hear any objections so I assume that's okay to go with.

AmandaShow

Hehe ;) don't worry, Drac is in good hands!
Also, I love the 1980s setting personally

Norsegod1839

I'm fine either way but do think 80's would give it more of that classic monster movie vibe.

Mathim

Quote from: Norsegod1839 on November 13, 2018, 10:06:51 PM
I'm fine either way but do think 80's would give it more of that classic monster movie vibe.

I was just re-watching the Nostalgia Critic review of Monster Squad yesterday so it just kind of struck me as the perfect era (since the 2017 Mummy taking place in the present didn't really help it at all).

Norsegod1839

RedPhoenix

So I was just gonna lurk on this until you said the early 2000s mummy movies were canon...

This mean I can be Ankhesenamun's most recent incarnation? :D I'm picturing she's given up on Imhotep ever being able to keep his promises and is using her ancient wealth and magic for herself for a change? More liberated, less outright evil but still not at all a good guy?
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Norsegod1839

The Mummy series is a personal favorite of mine. I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to jump in as an O'Connell myself. I think thats a pretty fantastic idea Red. Especially if she's shucked that failure of a.... whatever he was to her.

He had TWO chances against the same guy and failed TWICE after all!

AmandaShow

Looks like the O'Connell's maybe shaping up to be the next Belmont family of preternatural exterminators :p

Norsegod1839

We'll have to see. Barbara if you want Van Helsing feel free to go ahead and slot in with that character.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on November 13, 2018, 10:23:02 PM
So I was just gonna lurk on this until you said the early 2000s mummy movies were canon...

This mean I can be Ankhesenamun's most recent incarnation? :D I'm picturing she's given up on Imhotep ever being able to keep his promises and is using her ancient wealth and magic for herself for a change? More liberated, less outright evil but still not at all a good guy?

Think of canon as 'in name only'. You can rewrite events as you see fit to make your family's history more palatable. You're welcome to use the films as a guide to the history of the characters or villains but it's not set in stone as far as I'm concerned, I'm leaving that open to your interpretations so you can give yourselves as much freedom as desired. The names are just for familiarity's sake.

Quote from: Norsegod1839 on November 13, 2018, 10:25:24 PM
The Mummy series is a personal favorite of mine. I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to jump in as an O'Connell myself. I think thats a pretty fantastic idea Red. Especially if she's shucked that failure of a.... whatever he was to her.

He had TWO chances against the same guy and failed TWICE after all!

Well, to be fair, he was thinking with his dick both times.

Also, while there should technically only be one 'main' monster for each one in the pantheon (not including offshoots like the Bride of Frankenstein or those Brides of Dracula from the Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie), it's no problem to allow for the current generation of each monster hunting family to have multiple siblings who work together, or even spouses or a parent and grown-up child.

Whatever their organization is called (we need names, people, let's brainstorm and get one picked out), the divisions within can be named after each of the founding families. The Frankenstein division will be the one that specializes in hard sciences, the Van Helsing division is the one that trains members in combat and how to deal with supernatural creatures, the O'Connell division develops weapons and trains in the use of tactical machinery and non-melee weaponry.

Anyway, I'm feeling super tired so I'm heading to bed. I'll probably have some time to check on this during work tomorrow at some point, otherwise it'll be about 20 hours from now before I'm back on.

Ciosa

I’m happy to throw my interest in here as well.   Has an OOC thread started?

Norsegod1839

Mathim

I think I'll give the organization a tentative title until we can agree on a permanent one, and start putting up a profile submission sheet for everyone. It's first come first served for character choices, and I'll abstain from selecting one myself to give everyone else maximum options. Once the first few are submitted, I'll put up the OOC thread.

Ciosa

I like ‘The Bureau’ personally.  And almost every high ranking intelligence commander in every nation knows there’s a point at which you just... call in the Bureau.  No acronym, no alphabet soup, no ostentatious names.

Mathim

I kind of wanted to avoid that just because Hellboy used that. Maybe the 'Society'?

Ciosa

That works.  ‘The Lodge’ also has a very 17th/q8th century feel.

Mathim

Quote from: Ciosa on November 15, 2018, 03:02:28 PM
That works.  ‘The Lodge’ also has a very 17th/q8th century feel.

Well, it's the 1980's, so it needn't necessarily have a more quaint or parochial name in the game's present era.

Ciosa

My assumption was it would have been founded in that period, since most of the gothic novels which led to the Classic Monsters we know use that period as a source.  The Van Helsings might have joined forces with Frankenstein, adding the O’Connells later.  But Society fits the period as well.

Mathim

Yes, but as technology and the zeitgeist of civilization advance, so too must they in order to continue to hide in plain sight as needed. Something innocuous like 'society' would probably draw less attention than something that sounds like a codename or like something connected to some government agency.

Kadigan

working on my van helsing idea now...little derivative I think but I had a concept and I'm running with it. Also I kinda liked the original name of prodigium

Mathim

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on November 15, 2018, 03:57:24 PM
working on my van helsing idea now...little derivative I think but I had a concept and I'm running with it. Also I kinda liked the original name of prodigium

Darling, this game's entire concept is derivative. We're just embracing it.

Norsegod1839

With Barbara going Van Helsing I'll decide between O'Connell or Frankenstein

Mathim

So we've got about 3 people interested in the Society characters and only about 1 interested in one of the Monsters...I guess I'll pick a monster character if nobody wants to double up or pick one of them. Please post profile submissions here in the thread so everyone can marvel at them, and once we get about 3 of them posted I'll get the OOC thread up and running and we'll shortly thereafter get the IC game going.

TheVillain

Tentatively interested in a variation on Frankenstein’s Monster.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

AmandaShow

Amarlo

I really think this idea has a lot of potential. You certainly have my interest. Will you be eventually creating a full out recruitment thread at some point? Is this going to be sandboxy at all? Will both sides of this 'war' be open for play? Will people be allowed to play the specific canon monsters/creatures of legend in question?

Additionally, you could use a name like "The Legion" or "The Agency" and "The Division". ^^; Just as further suggestions.

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Norsegod1839

With the Villian interested in Frankenstein monster that leaves me with a legacy O'Connell character as my pick.

Mathim

Quote from: AmandaShow on November 15, 2018, 11:41:26 PM
What format are we posting the profiles in exactly?

Oh, I updated the first post of this thread with the format so you can copy-paste and fill in the blanks.

Quote from: Amarlo on November 15, 2018, 11:51:57 PM
I really think this idea has a lot of potential. You certainly have my interest. Will you be eventually creating a full out recruitment thread at some point? Is this going to be sandboxy at all? Will both sides of this 'war' be open for play? Will people be allowed to play the specific canon monsters/creatures of legend in question?

Additionally, you could use a name like "The Legion" or "The Agency" and "The Division". ^^; Just as further suggestions.

I think this is probably the full-out recruitment thread, now that we've got this much interest (I'll alter the thread title momentarily), so everyone will be able to join up without creating multiple threads. I believe the war will have the Society traveling from their base in East Coast U.S. to Eastern Europe where Dracula's castle is, with intent to engage the dark ones directly before they can spread their wickedness beyond controllable borders. Imagine it sort of like a castle defense game where it's a small town near the base and the castle that are at odds, I guess. Some minor skirmishes can occur near the no man's land zone between them but only when truly prepared will one make a full incursion into the others' territory.

And up to a certain extent, yes, anyone is free to choose one of the classic movie monsters to play, and to a more limited extent, they can choose to fight for the humans' side (the Invisible Man, for instance, might not be too keen on joining the monsters' side).

I believe we'll go with the Society (when speaking of it in public) to avoid giving any outsiders who might be eavesdropping the impression that they're any sort of militaristic or governmental agency. Help maintain a low profile, as it were. Unless someone comes up with a really good code name for it. I was thinking maybe Oracle, but I want others' opinion on it first.

Also, for anyone wanting to play a character working for the organization, a possible special skill they can potentially have (just to add some fire to the non-monster group) is being a medium for channeling dead spirits, or being a seer who can get glimpses of the future. I'd limit it to those, though, as opposed to things like telepathy or telekinesis (except perhaps in the case of something like twins/identical twins who might have a limited telepathic connection with one another).

Mathim

Okay, just got two awesome profiles approved for a Van Helsing and a Frankenstein-esque reanimated monster, so if I get one more commitment profile, I'll start up our OOC thread and we can have a working IC thread up and running by tomorrow if things go well.

That said, we do need some hostile monsters so if the Lady Dracula role is indeed being coveted, then at least one more will be needed to balance things out if someone else is going to be one of the O'Connels as proposed. I can certainly play the role of one of the Mummy incarnations and perhaps also a Wolfman. There's plenty of room for players to double up and time to change minds, so just go with what feels best for you and I'll accommodate once things start falling into place.

Ciosa

Is the intention to run the players against each other?  Sort of guided PvP?

Norsegod1839

I was halfway through my O'Connel Sheet and lost it. So I will have to redo it tomorrow. I will however have it up first thing in the morning.

Ciosa

Agent Prometheus
Name/Identity: Agent Prometheus
Role/Alignment:  Human aligned monster; heavy hitter. 
Sex Preference (Self-identification and preferred pairing): Heterosexual
O/Os:  Here.
Special Skills/Talents/Abilities: Incredible strength, near indestructibility, direct combat experience.
Physical Description: Physically, surgically modified perfection.  High cheekbones, powerful but wiry muscles.  Dark brown eyes and a closely shaved scalp.  Scarless, except for a gunshot wound in his left pectoral, above his heart.
Distinguishing Features: Stillness.  Those in Prometheus’s company might find him passing for a time as human - but his muteness and the fact he never blinks, twitches, or has minute muscle tics is an unnerving uncanny valley.
Face Claim:  Brandon Lee
Personality: A machine prodded to kill - some agents believe his only joy comes from combat, and that he enjoys the thrill of conflict.  There’s never been any indication he enjoys it - but agents have a tendency to project.

History:

Agent Prometheus is a tightly kept secret inside of the Society- a ‘break glass in case of emergency’ agent that has proven extraordinarily capable, resilient, and reliable in the clutch.  Operatives certain of their own death and the impending failure of their mission request the Prometheus protocol be enacted - and his deployment has pulled more than one mission from failure, saved the life of more than one agent - prevented more than one catastrophe.

But the Society hesitated to deploy Prometheus - with good reason.   Only when there is nothing left to lose is Prometheus ‘let out of the cage,’ because Prometheus is one of the Enemy. 

Little is known of Prometheus before he was given a semblance of life some two hundred and fifty years ago by Dr. Pretorius.   Prometheus is known only by the writings of Pretorius; a pansexual social butterfly with a fondness for art, drink, and music.  Pretorius was Frankenstein’s mentor, a superior doctor who lacked Frankenstein’s creative genius - but was capable of refining his work.  With the reanimating process complete, Pretorius set to ‘fixing’ Frankenstein’s mistakes.  Prometheus was crafted largely from a single cadaver, not a motley collection of semi-rotten undead parts - from the corpse of Pretorius’s youthful lover.  A quarrel after Pretorius had found his lover in the arms of a woman had ended badly - and in his remorse, Pretorius sought to resurrect the beautiful young man he’d once loved.

There were vast improvements; Prometheus was not an overtly hideous monster, nor did he seem to be as innately violent as Frankenstein’s horror.  The strength Frankenstein had attributed to the size of his creation proved to be innate to the state of reanimation - as was the near indestructibility.  But Pretorius quickly found his experiment was far from a total success.  His lover - once an opera singer - has been rendered completely mute.   Moreover, the soul which had once delighted in art, in music, seemed to have been stilled completely.  Prometheus could not be roused, with songs or paintings or attempts at lovemaking.  He did not speak - he did not react.  He made no music, took no lovers, painted no landscapes.  Finally, Van Helsing offered to take the monster off of Pretorius’s hands.  Pretorius readily agreed.

Pretorius, in another fit of despair and failure, attempted to destroy his creation.  But whatever dark necromancy had awakened his Prometheus, it was not so easy to put to rest - he burned, but healed rapidly.  Lit on fire, shot, stabbed - he recovered from everything, and never showed sign of discomfort.  He could not be drowned - and none of the various torments seemed to affect him - save electricity.

Electricity was found to be one of the few motivators for the monster.  Direct current seemed to provide him - joy.  Though uncertain if it was emotional or sexual pleasure, the application of direct current served as an effective carrot - while alternating current seemed to agonize him, though the distinction between the two was difficult to identify - at least until enough alternating current was applied and Prometheus flew into a destructive frenzy.  Prometheus destroyed an entire laboratory and killed everyone within - but Van Helsing still believed the monster could be of use.

It took a decade before years of brutal beating, torture, training, and conditioning had Prometheus ready for field deployment.  His first mission was a success - tearing apart a lycanthrope in hand to hand combat.  More missions followed - and months passed into years passed into decades. 

It was in 1922 that a student of Sigmund Freud sheltered within the Society thought it was possible to make progress with Prometheus via hypnosis; the killing machine was strapped by steel bars to a wall, and daily hypnotic sessions encouraged him to try to connect with his memories, with his previous life.  The results were surprising - it became clear that the mute, bound aberration was attempting to communicate - and when the young Frankenstein overseeing the experiment released Prometheus’s hands, he drew with his fingers.  It has been the only real development over the past century - the only allowance of humanity Petronius’s creation is permitted.  When he is not tasked to a mission - that is to say, dropped into an ongoing battle - he is permitted canvas, paints, and a reinforced titanium paintbrush.  A man who cannot grip a pistol without crushing it, or swing a bat without shattering it manages to find the control to destroy neither brush nor canvas - although his paintings do not decorate the Society’s halls.  They are horrific, nightmarish things - and Frankenstein-trained psychoanalysts believe they are an expression of a psyche tortured by death. 

The Van Helsings believe differently - they believe the horrific paintings are artistic expressions of the experience of Hell - and that half of Prometheus’s mind resides there, or inhabited it briefly before he was restored to half life. 

Prometheus is fearless; not brave, but genuinely without fear.  He also seems utterly immune to any attempt to manipulate his emotions.  The shock collar equipped with both alternating and direct circuits is called the Leash, and it has been refined over several generations of Frankenstein scientists to prove an effective fetter.  In urban environments, he is sometimes deployed with a blindfold or noise cancelling headphones as well; the commotion of busy cities has, on occasion, sent him into a kind of fugue that that the scientists and therapists do not yet understand. 

Mathim

Quote from: Ciosa on November 16, 2018, 07:44:38 PM
Is the intention to run the players against each other?  Sort of guided PvP?

I'm going to have the prophecy that brings up this direct conflict be such that certain specific things have to happen that will force contact (peaceful initially) between the Society and the Monsters, so that a more or less freeform game can be played and everyone on both sides can have a chance to interact without there having to be too restrictive of rules. Unless there's a very, VERY simple system that we could use that might help facilitate things better; I'm not familiar with any systems at all so I'm open to being informed.

AmandaShow

I should have the Countess sheet up and running this evening/tomorrow afternoon

RedPhoenix

Hmmm. I'm having difficulty imagining why the character I had in mind would be in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Europe. May have to rethink this. I didn't realize the game would be so limited geographically.

Ciosa

Quote from: Mathim on November 16, 2018, 08:13:25 PM
I'm going to have the prophecy that brings up this direct conflict be such that certain specific things have to happen that will force contact (peaceful initially) between the Society and the Monsters, so that a more or less freeform game can be played and everyone on both sides can have a chance to interact without there having to be too restrictive of rules. Unless there's a very, VERY simple system that we could use that might help facilitate things better; I'm not familiar with any systems at all so I'm open to being informed.

That sounds much better than open conflict and a war on other players.  Such tends to lead to the way of hard feels, no matter what.  I'd rather a team up against a greater foe than a war.

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on November 16, 2018, 08:35:34 PM
Hmmm. I'm having difficulty imagining why the character I had in mind would be in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Europe. May have to rethink this. I didn't realize the game would be so limited geographically.

Well your character can originate from anywhere, it's just that the ultimate destination is Castle Dracula. Everyone is going to start out either there (in the case of Dracula it would make the most sense to start there unless they've been traveling about or hibernating elsewhere) but others like the Mummy can start out where they natively come from and simply be en route once they have their reason to travel to Castle Dracula by whatever means they choose. I'm thinking the Society travels to Europe from the U.S. by ship rather than air but I'm open to other suggestions.

Quote from: Ciosa on November 16, 2018, 08:56:21 PM
That sounds much better than open conflict and a war on other players.  Such tends to lead to the way of hard feels, no matter what.  I'd rather a team up against a greater foe than a war.

Yes, this will give them a chance to try to intimidate each other, to try to entice the opposing players to their side (betrayal will be part of the prophecy, but it will be ambiguous as to which side is the one to produce the traitor and who will be the traitor).

RedPhoenix

Could this prophecy involve like, fantastic wealth or great treasure or something like that? I'm trying to think of something that could get Ankhesenamun to go there.

Mathim

I guess it depends; Imhotep was able to create gold out of nothing so if a different Mummy was not able to wield the same power, then if they valued such things, sure, that could be an enticement. I mean, the outcome of the monsters winning out in the prophecy basically means all of mankind is enslaved and/or killed or subdued in some other way, meaning all their wealth and labor belong to the monsters. So if Ankhesanamun would want, say, an equal number of pyramids to the ones that already exist to be erected out of the world's entire supply of gold and constructed on the backs of human slaves, she could get that by joining the monsters' side and helping them win.

TheVillain

Ah, damn it. Too slow. Fortunately, I did have another idea I'm playing around with.

Zacherie Beauvais
Name/Identity: Zacherie Beauvais [Currently using the identity of Dr. Zach Blair]
Age: Physically - Late-20's, Legally- Early 30's, Chronologically - ~260
Role/Alignment: It's Complicated. The short version is that he's sort of considered the local 'friendly' vampire, though that's only speaking in purely relative terms.
Sex Preference: He jokes that he's 'Hetero, Mostly'. As a vampire his sexuality and his feeding habits are connected. He has no qualms about feeding on men, he just prefers women. 
O/Os: Here
Physical Description: With dark hair and blue eyes, Zacherie was tall by the standards of 1700's France but he's at best of average height by modern standards. He's handsome though, when he hides his "game-face". When he truly dedicates himself to feeding his face twists into something bestial, unnatural, with long and jagged teeth. Often is seen dressing up in a variation of jeans and a button-up shirt over a t-shirt, whether from a genuine sense of style or from trying to put people's guard down is an entirely different question.
Face Claim: Colin Farrell

Distinguishing Features: Dr. Beauvais does have paler skin then you'd expect for a man of his apparent health and personality but not to the point that it can't be rationalized away with his "day" job. Most of the time the only really obvious sign that he's a supernatural creature only applies with thermal sensors, as he'll usually only register as being a little above room temperature. However, when his "game face" is on his eyes turn blood red, his canine teeth elongate into true fangs, and his face muscles twist into something unnatural and bestial.

Personality: For an Astronomy Professor, Zacherie seems surprisingly down-to-Earth. On the surface he actually seems masculine and blue-collar, with a reputation of being a bit of a handyman and a ladies man among his neighbors. He seems charismatic and humorous, quick with a drink and a joke. There's only one real caveat to all this, as according to his neighbors Zacherie rarely leaves the house before dark. He says it's because his job frequently has him staying up all night anyway and his body is just used to sleeping through the day.

It takes a while to notice that he has absolutely no conscience. A sense of professional ethics, sure but he doesn't have anything along the lines of actual guilt. His primary choice of victims is usually people in the lives of his students that are interfering with their learning in fact. He has some sense of charm too the point of being Affable even - but very rarely does he actually feel bad about anything bad he does. When feeding he frequently, by no means always but often, takes sexual advantage of the victim as well with no hint of guilt or remorse for instance. He has the cunning and almost genre-savvy enough to know that he's got to play nice, at least until it's too late for his intended victims to do anything about it, but he's a monster at the core. He knows it, and in his own way he revels in it.

Special Skills/Talents/Abilities:

• Rigor of Death: As an intelligent member of the Undead, Dr. Beauvais is much stronger, faster, and tougher then a normal human. Most dramatically though is the fact that he doesn't age and can not permenantly die without certain conditions met. Shooting him in the head will certainly take him out of a fight but it will only "stick" if the bullet was made of silver and blessed by a particularly holy person for example.
  • The Hunter: Zacherie's Vampire senses are more sensitive then a normal human. He can see in the dark and smell blood for example.
  • Vampiric Domination: "Dr." Beauvais, as an older vampire, can in theory mentally influence and hypnotize anyone he makes eye contact with. In theory. In practice most monsters and a sizable chunk of normal humans have enough Willpower to have at least some resistance to this ability, and using this ability visibly turns his eyes Red so he tries to use this ability somewhat sparingly. This has been a sort of mixed blessing for the Society, as this means that at least he's a monster with the decency to tidy up after himself and the vast majority of his surviving victims believe and remember what Zacherie did to them a consensual sexual act instead of a supernatural attack.
  • Genre Savvy: Dr. Zacherie Beauvais is actually a fan of many forms of Vampire-related fiction and has made it a point to rely on Reason more then Dogma in his personal life. As a result he is considered shockingly cunning as an opponent. It's pretty much impossible to trick him into staying outside after Dawn, as he makes it a point to know exactly when and where the next Dawn will be for example. Other Vampires may be older and more powerful, but he's seen this movie...
  • The Embrace: Arguably Dr. Beauvais's most dramatic supernatural feature is his ability to convert others into servants, slaves, and underlings up too and including full-fledged Vampires themselves. The results can usually be divided into three catagories, and due to Dr. Beauvais' tendency to sexually take advantage of victims females are usually overrepresented in these groups.

• Renfields - Those of particularly weak Willpower sometimes take to Vampiric Domination deeper then others. If blood was drunken from the Renfield it wasn't enough to kill them. A Renfield is basically still alive and unchanged, but they will be particularly subservant to Dr. Beauvais for a particularly long amount of time compared to normal people. Renfields are usually created by accident.
    • Fledgelings - A new Vampire, created by someone being drained of blood enough to kill them then some bodily fluid from the Vampire being put back. If it takes a Fledgling Vampire is indistinguishable from a lifeless corpse for 3 sunsets, then they rise as a Vampire themselves if a relatively weak one. Fledgling Vampires tend to have behavior reminiscent of Drug Addicts as they get used to their Thirst. It's worth noting that not all victims he does this too will become Fledglings - most just stay very dead.
    • Brides - Mostly created by accident, a Bride's creation process is identical to that of a Fledgling. Some sort of sexual contact during the draining may be required though that is debatable. A Bride is like a Fledgling but with more Power and Self-Control. A Bride is essentially a Fledgling that somehow skipped the first hundred years or so of vampiric development. In Dr. Beauvais's case, all of his Brides have been female hence the name.

Weaknesses:

• Fire and Sunlight: - The most reliable way to kill a Vampire for good is Sunlight, especially the light of a new Dawn. If Dr. Zachery Beauvais is ever out in open Daylight, especially the light of Dawn, he will instantly burst into flames and be incinerated.
  • Home and Hearth: - Dr. Zachery Beauvais, at least in theory, can not enter a private residence without the owner's invitation. The stronger the family bond, the stronger the magical barrier that will hold him back. Some objects from the Hearth can be used to repel him as well, depending on what they symbolize.
  • Holy Relics: - One of the most famous weaknesses of a Vampire, holy symbols and relics can be used to repel them depending on the Faith of the User and of the Vampire. Dr. Zacherie Beauvais actually holds no particular faith, so while no holy symbol is particularly painful or repellent to him they all do work a little bit. This has been noted in Society logs, that Vampires that were Atheists before they were Embraced like Zacherie have a vastly reduced reaction to this traditional weakness but they do have it a little bit.
  • The Thirst: - As any Vampire, Dr. Zachery Beauvais must periodically drink a sizable amount of fresh human blood to survive. The exact amount he needs is unknown, but it's safe to say he usually drinks much more. Like many older Vampires, there are special additional rules he has for feeding like how some older vampires can only feed on Virgins. In Dr. Beauvais's case, he can not drink the blood of anyone that is officially one of his students. Vampires can, and frequently do, drink a human's blood too the point that it kills the victim - this actually seems to be a nessecary step in creating more vampires in fact - but Zacherie fortunately makes it a point to not kill his victims if he can avoid it.
  • The Masquerade: - As far as the Society has been able to determine, Vampires are much more organized then a normal monster threat and most consider themselves beholden to their own set of laws that emphasize Secrecy above all else. As such Dr. Beauvais has to go the extra mile to maintain his "secret identity" and clean up his own messes, which is no doubt has gotten a sigh of relief or two from Society members over the years. He's Evil, but he's at least Tidy about it. You think Human Politics are bad? Try getting into Vampire Politics some time.

History: People believe that Dr. Beauvais is a relatively recent hire onto NSU. According to his paperwork he got his PhD in Astronomy from the University of Denver 6 years ago and got a job as an Astronomy Professor the year after. He's remembered as being surprisingly down-to-Earth, surprisingly charming, and someone actually really handy with anything from a monkey wrench to a sodering iron. He's worked hard to assimilate into the community and NSU is glad to have him.

Except it's mostly lies. Zacherie Beauvais was actually born in the 1750's in the filthy streets of the then slums of Paris. He'd actively join in the French Revolution when it came around, personally killing a few aristrocrats and clergymen in the name of La Mademoiselle France. Perhaps this was what got the attention of Belle, he knows she got his. Unknowingly signing on with her personal social experiments, Belle secretly tested him to make sure he was truly a non-believer in any sort of diety then seduced him and turned him into a Vampire like herself. Just to see what would happen.

Zacherie turned out to be surprisingly effective as a fledgling Vampire. Using his Cunning and Reason instead of Dogma - both Human and Vampire - to try to gain an edge, he learned whatever he could to gain an advantage. On more then one occasion just the mere fact of knowing exactly when Dawn was going to happen has saved his unlife and put him at an advantage over other Vampires and Vampire Hunters alike. Since then he's been learning, adapting to new times, and moving every decade or two to keep hidden in plain sight. That move to make sure to know when and where Dawn would be at any given situation eventually built into a genuine interest and career in Astronomy. He actually does technically have a legitimate PhD in Astronomy - if it's actually from 1887.

Dr. Beauvais first appeared on the Society's Radar during WW2, surprisingly as an Ally. Dracula, the self-styled King of Vampires, had sided with the Nazis and took most of the world's Vampires with him but Zacherie instead sided specifically with the French Resistance. Sure, yes - he was a Vampire and in his own way he reveled in it, but apparently he identified himself as French first. Between that and his tendency to leave his victims alive with fogged memories he was considered the lesser of two evils.

After the War they noticed that he also tends to move every 10 years or so, preventing anyone from noticing that he doesn't really age. Sometimes the society knows where he is, sometimes they don't. Back in the 50's there was a serious Society effort to end his unlife, but Dr. Beauvais proved to be a much smarter opponent then they thought he would be and the upper-levels of the Society were notoriously prone to dumb choices during the time. As a result Dr. Beauvais was - at the time - able to maneuver the Society into a Mutually Assured Destruction scenario where neither side could really destroy the other without at least exposing all of their own secrets to the public sphere.

Times have changed, Dr. Beauvais is considered a "friendly" vampire now by the Society but only in the sense that everyone knows that there's far worse out there. Zacherie might be a blood-drinking rapist with supernatural powers, but at least he's not trying to bring about vampiric world-domination or summon up a blood-god or anything crazy like that. He's conceded that true Peace might never be possible but it might be for the best if Monsters like Him and Humans like the Society reach a sort of Equilibrium, and if occasionally working with the Society is what it takes to put things back in balance then so be it.

Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Mathim

Well I do like it, but there are some issues I would be remiss to keep from airing. First, he seems to lack a reliable control mechanism unlike Prometheus and so would be considered too great a liability to be contracted with the Society. Second, the primary characters of the game are the 'named' creatures, so a generic vampire as opposed to Dracula would be of lesser priority to have unless there was another more apropos character you might also want to play so as to fill a more vital spot? You would still be able to use Dr. Beauvais but it would be encouraged that you might also adopt another character that hasn't been utilized yet such as a Wolfman or Gill Man or other such that has been listed in the opening post. Just food for thought. But I do want to try to have some means of keeping him on a leash, as it were, by the Society just so they don't have a constant loose cannon walking all over them.

TheVillain

I'll have to think on that.

Weren't the Phantom of the Opera, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Igor all considered normal if deformed people?

Granted, I can still see the Phantom working. He might have been disfigured and mentally unstable but he was also a genius to the level that his enemies/opponents often came to the belief that he had supernatural powers. Just happens to have a weakness for Music, especially Opera.

Mathim

Quote from: TheVillain on November 17, 2018, 11:11:35 AM
I'll have to think on that.

Weren't the Phantom of the Opera, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Igor all considered normal if deformed people?

Granted, I can still see the Phantom working. He might have been disfigured and mentally unstable but he was also a genius to the level that his enemies/opponents often came to the belief that he had supernatural powers.

Well they are named characters and had some superhuman attributes (and you can be creative with them, of course), so it's not the same as creating a generic character with similar attributes. I think the Phantom of the Opera would be one with some actual ghostly abilities (most of the creatures in the Dark Universe do seem to have walked with death and come back) and the Hunchbacks would be perhaps the hybrid offspring of a demonic entity and a human, with some freedom to dictate what apart from their deformities they've inherited.

Norsegod1839

We'll probalby never know how they were going to take it but the plan was to have the Phantom in Universals "Dark Universe" again no idea what they were going to do with it but he was going to have a role.

Ciosa

'Phantoms' and 'Hunchbacks' should be slang for the members of the society which principally do humint and sigint inside of other intelligence operations and pass that information on to the Society to act.  Phantoms could be deep cover operatives working inside the CIA or the KGB, MI6 and the like - while Hunchbacks are operators inside of the NSA - it's the 1980s, yes, but there would still be codebreakers and intercepts, and Hunchbacks that spend their days combing newspapers and obituaries in dozens of languages every day for indications of supernatural activity.  Just a random brainstorm.

Mathim

Quote from: Norsegod1839 on November 17, 2018, 11:50:10 AM
We'll probalby never know how they were going to take it but the plan was to have the Phantom in Universals "Dark Universe" again no idea what they were going to do with it but he was going to have a role.

Exactly. This gives us creative room for dealing with such characters.

Quote from: Ciosa on November 17, 2018, 11:52:10 AM
'Phantoms' and 'Hunchbacks' should be slang for the members of the society which principally do humint and sigint inside of other intelligence operations and pass that information on to the Society to act.  Phantoms could be deep cover operatives working inside the CIA or the KGB, MI6 and the like - while Hunchbacks are operators inside of the NSA - it's the 1980s, yes, but there would still be codebreakers and intercepts, and Hunchbacks that spend their days combing newspapers and obituaries in dozens of languages every day for indications of supernatural activity.  Just a random brainstorm.

It could, but I think that would diminish the role of said monsters if they were to be played by someone. The fewer codenames to deal with, the simpler, I think, so labeling things directly within the Society for the moment is probably better.

Ciosa

Quote from: Mathim on November 17, 2018, 12:03:28 PM
It could, but I think that would diminish the role of said monsters if they were to be played by someone. The fewer codenames to deal with, the simpler, I think, so labeling things directly within the Society for the moment is probably better.

That's true.  Then again, neither Phantom nor Hunchback would have any reason to live beyond a normal human lifespan, so the idea in my head was more of a continually training and grooming and passing of the torch to new recruits, so Phantom and Hunchback were more of a legacy than an actual monster.  If they possessed actual supernatural powers as you suggested above, that would change their role.

Mathim

Quote from: Ciosa on November 17, 2018, 12:21:12 PM
That's true.  Then again, neither Phantom nor Hunchback would have any reason to live beyond a normal human lifespan, so the idea in my head was more of a continually training and grooming and passing of the torch to new recruits, so Phantom and Hunchback were more of a legacy than an actual monster.  If they possessed actual supernatural powers as you suggested above, that would change their role.

If the Phantom is a ghost or a person who has walked on the other side and returned, time wouldn't be a detriment to them being here (or they could have just died recently and returned in time for the prophecy to start counting down). Same with the Hunchback, if they aren't just a hybrid of some demonic entity and a human, they could just be born in a time where by the time they're old enough to get involved, the events of the prophecy have started to unfold, otherwise they'd just probably inherit some longevity and have lived for a few centuries. In either case they have the option to join the good or evil side.

Ciosa

Quote from: Mathim on November 17, 2018, 12:27:11 PM
If the Phantom is a ghost or a person who has walked on the other side and returned, time wouldn't be a detriment to them being here (or they could have just died recently and returned in time for the prophecy to start counting down). Same with the Hunchback, if they aren't just a hybrid of some demonic entity and a human, they could just be born in a time where by the time they're old enough to get involved, the events of the prophecy have started to unfold, otherwise they'd just probably inherit some longevity and have lived for a few centuries. In either case they have the option to join the good or evil side.

If Prometheus wasn't approved, my second idea was for a Hunchback, actually.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Mathim on November 16, 2018, 11:41:58 PM
I guess it depends; Imhotep was able to create gold out of nothing so if a different Mummy was not able to wield the same power, then if they valued such things, sure, that could be an enticement. I mean, the outcome of the monsters winning out in the prophecy basically means all of mankind is enslaved and/or killed or subdued in some other way, meaning all their wealth and labor belong to the monsters. So if Ankhesanamun would want, say, an equal number of pyramids to the ones that already exist to be erected out of the world's entire supply of gold and constructed on the backs of human slaves, she could get that by joining the monsters' side and helping them win.

Okay I think I can work with this. Is playing a character who is sort of 'grey' in as far as her allegiances go still an option?

Mathim

Quote from: Ciosa on November 17, 2018, 12:35:11 PM
If Prometheus wasn't approved, my second idea was for a Hunchback, actually.

I thought I had already given the approval for Prometheus in the PM conversation? But if you want to also play a secondary character as a Hunchback, that would be fine.

Quote from: RedPhoenix on November 17, 2018, 01:55:55 PM
Okay I think I can work with this. Is playing a character who is sort of 'grey' in as far as her allegiances go still an option?

I guess initially; they can play witness to the stalemate and kind of gauge whether they want to stay out and just get with whoever comes out on top or if they want to throw support behind and join one side or the other. Just no trying to form a third faction for their own independent rule. Also be aware it may create conflict if one side or the other dislikes the bystander approach and potentially both sides turn hostile against a supposed neutral party.

RedPhoenix

No not a third party. I was thinking more like her approach would be 'I've seen this whole try to take over the world thing before and it doesn't go well....' and sort of be hesitant to join but not want to just sit by and watch it happen either.

edit: Sent in my sheet!

Ciosa

Quote from: Mathim on November 17, 2018, 06:14:50 PM
I thought I had already given the approval for Prometheus in the PM conversation? But if you want to also play a secondary character as a Hunchback, that would be fine.

Meaning, it was my backup idea in case Prometheus wasn't approved. 

TheVillain

Fuck it, I'm going for it. And, again, Fuck it. Let's make him French too.

LeFantôme

Name/Identity: "Erik"
Role/Alignment: Society Think-Tank and Technology Specialist. The "Hannibal Lecter" on the Payroll.
Sex Preference: Heterosexual
O/Os: Here

Special Skills/Talents/Abilities: It was shocking when he was finally apprehended by the Society when they discovered that "Erik" actually has no supernatural attributes or abilities, just the forethought and ingenuity to fake it. What "Erik" is though is a genius, by all accounts with an estimated IQ of at least 165. Music seems to be his passion but he's also displayed talent for - at least - Tactics, Misdirection, Physics, Engineering, Electronics, Computer Science, and Architecture. The problem is that he's also mentally unstable, too the point that if he puts his mind to killing people he does so with efficiency and skill to the point that he seems to be supernatural.

Physical Description: Eric is on the thin side with average height, stronger then his build would suggest but he doesn't specifically work out for it. Clothing of course seems to be whatever is needed for the task at hand if he favors black for color. The biggest exception to these rules are the masks. He seems to fabricate them on his own, each made with his knack for machines. The exact mask varies but always covers at least the top half of his face, too the point that it's rumored that he kills anyone who sees his face unmasked for non-medical reasons. The medical staff does confirm that the top half of his face is disfigured horribly, the exact cause is unknown and "Erik" changes the story every time someone asks.

Distinguishing Features: The top half of his face is horribly disfigured. Exactly what happened he seems to refuse to say but his claims have included -
- Simply born with a medical condition that means the fat in same areas of his skin didn't attach correctly, giving parts of his body including the top half of his face a skeletal appearance.
- Abandoned as a baby and attacked and partially eaten by a pack of rats before he was rescued.
- Got his head caught in a record-press.
- Attacked by Acid and just lucky he didn't go blind.
- A side effect to selling his soul to the devil for his singing voice.
Whatever the truth, very few people have seen his full face and lived to tell the tale. According to rumor at least.

Face Claim: Daniel Ratcliffe

Personality: Brilliant, but Unstable. While Music is his primary talent, he can branch out into several other areas with ease approaching them like music. He has some interesting thoughts on Quantum Field / String Theory for example. The problem is that like any great musician he's eccentric, and in his case it's been to the point that it's been murderous. Frankly, that's a big reason why he works for the Society. They're not really his employers so much as his jailers. Because between the Intellectual Challenge of the tasks the Society gives him and their unique resources, nobody else has a chance of controlling him.

He's not an Employee or Asset, he's another of the Monsters. Just a different kind.

History: It's got to be said that nobody really knows the past of "LeFantôme" of even if "Erik" is his real name. The attempts to put together his past and his identity so far have been largely unsuccessful. There are bits and pieces the Society has managed to cobble together, but most of his supposed past has come from interviews from him, and he's lied about his past before.

"I was told I was born the shadow of the Palais Garnier itself, the Paris Opera House. I don't like chuck things up to fate but I always knew it felt like home."

[Erik's DNA suggests a 50%+ chance of being related to Yvonne Boutet, a critically acclaimed Opera Singer who was murdered 20 years ago.]

"From what I understand, I was picked up by circusfolk and raised by them. On paper I was in the freakshow of course, but it wasn't all bad. There were skills I could learn, and more books laying around then you'd think."

[There are records of a nomadic circus, mostly going throughout Southern Europe. According to Reports, one of the Sideshow acts was a "Le Mort Vivant" - an act described as a 'living dead man' who could perform magic tricks and sing Opera.]

"But boys grow up and I had to go get my education. I didn't have the money to get an official education, of course - but I wanted to learn because my mind was hungry. I didn't need the peace of paper. I admit to having my share of - adventures and difficulties, but I learned a great deal."

['Adventures and Difficulties' is believed to be an understatements. With the benefit of hindsight we believe we have confirmation of "Erik" breaking into Universities and Centers of Learning allover the world, including Baghdad, New Delhi, Beijing, Tokyo, Sydney, Rio de Janiero, New York, Cambridge - the list is almost extensive as the stolen educational materials. With the timeline we've managed to recreate we're also pretty sure - but can not prove - that he also committed a string of murders during this time. Seemingly to remove obstacles from what he viewed as his educational process.]

"But College ends, and I returned home. I'm sure you'll forgive my living arrangements, but I doubt any landlord would be so forgiving of my masks and I always did have a fondness for Music."

[Another vague understatement, and an impressive one at that. Somehow Erik managed to smuggle in building materials and essentially created an entirely living space in the basement of the Opera House complete with laboratory, a machineshop, and tunnel-work into the building above itself without anyone noticing. Best guess as to how he did that involves careful timing and sewer access from below.]

"After that things are, well - I try to keep busy. Love, Loss, Success, Failure - you know how an ambitious young man goes."

[In this fashion, Erik has believed to have operated in Paris's shadows since then. In hindsight, Erik could pretty much act with impunity because his motives were completely different from any other criminal. No interest in monetary gain, no interest in power, just Knowledge and Art. We know that at one point he kidnapped the then up-and-coming Opera Singer, a Christine Daae, seemingly to improve her singing voice - including killing people causing issues in her personal life - and to express romantic interest. Apparently she rejected him, but she embraced the lessons.

He also apparently has been quietly co-ordinating communications between academics and scientists around the world based on research use, seemingly solely to encourage innovation and acquire knowledge for himself. He even seems to have invented something like a Computer-Printer that can create 3-D objects. If it wasn't for his tendency to murder anyone who gets in his way he'd probably be seen as outright heroic.

Of course we were surprised when we finally apprehended him. Our Research files suggested a ghost, but when he turned out to be just a man we had to recruit him. Because if he's a normal human being then, in the opinion of the psychology department, this is the only chance anyone has of keeping him under control.]

Mathim

Sounds good, I like the illusionist angle, like a low-tech Mysterio but far more intelligent.

TheVillain

AmandaShow

Are we just PMing the sheets or shall we post em here instead?

AmandaShow

Eh, screw it. Here she is :P

Name: Countess Ana-Maria of Wallachia / Anastasia “Stasia” Popa

Role: Ancient vampire / Pop Diva

Preference: Bisexual

Special skills/Talents/Abilities: Immortality and Vampirism: Ana-Maria has the ability to spread her dark gift to mortal victims, creating other vampires like herself. This is rarely given however, as she prefers to manipulate victims through simpler means. Other vampires mean rivalry and deception and that is something she cannot tolerate.

Eyes and voice: With a glance, Ana can ensnarl the senses. With her voice, she can enrapture the mind and even those with the strongest of wills are powerless to resist. Her mere presence is an event unto itself, radiating with an almost physical energy, when she enters a room, all heads turn to Ana.

Flight: In bat, human or something grotesquely in between, Ana can take flight in an instant.

Horde of Vermin: She can bend the creatures of the night to her will. From the cracks in the walls, muddy grass and cloudy skies, all manner of nocturnal horrors shall gather and swarms to her bidding.

Resistance: Though youthful and lithe, her dark powers render Ana nearly indestructible. Knives and bullets leave no visible wounds. Silver an old superstition. Running water, you must be joking! Of course, she can enter your home with or without permission. Even the holy crucifix no longer holds sway over the countess. The only thing this ancient horror fears is the rising sun and the lick of flame. 

Strength: Though rarely displayed (far too perverse a display of power), Ana is superhumanly strong, able to lift several hundred pounds effortlessly.
Physical Description: Ana-Maria stands 5’10. Rather impressive for a girl of that time with sharp features and piercing eyes. She is beautiful, strikingly so and in her life, could command a room without the aid preternatural powers. She dresses for the present, meaning a lot of neon, day-glow colors, short, tight skirts and big hair. She relishes the decadence of the 1980’s and flaunts her wealth in the form of gawdy jewelry and designer clothing. 

Distinguishing Features: She is surprisingly well tanned for a woman that has not seen the sun in several hundred years thanks to a healthy dose of artificial lights. Her outfits are always an outlandish affair that warrant special segments of the latest gossip magazines and fashion shows. Never the same outfit twice, she is always pushing the limits of television sensors whom are torn between high ratings and FCC regulations.

Face Claim: Gal Gadot

Personality: She plays up her role in the decade and is publicly seen as flirty, spontaneous, outrageous and wickedly funny. She is quick-witted and candid in interviews, usually invited back onto television shows without a new project in the works to make the rounds to promote.
Privately, when she can be the Countess she was born, she is brooding and cold, forever calculating and worrying her hands together in consideration of her next move. She does not smile unless indulging in one of her more sinister, private hobbies, well away from the public eye.
History: something that has always rubbed the countess the wrong way? How her storied, bloodied history as a warrior queen was glossed over in favor of her inept brother, Vlad. Her great conquests, full of glorious victories and bloody battles (yes, plenty of impaling) had been hijacked by patriarchal historians of yore. Because who but a man could be so savagely cruel in the fields of war? Who but Vlad, who would go onto die a penniless louse in the syphilitic bed of a whore house, oversee such cruelty? Ana-Maria was all but lost to history. There was more documented about their shared brother, Radu, than Ana-Maria but there were whispers of her throughout history.

A blood-thirsty countess Bathory…

The sapphic tale of Carmilla…

A demon inhabiting an old Abby in Carfax…

A bestselling series of works, starring the saddest vampires imaginable…

She once even sat with a struggling young author in a Bangor hotel and cleared up a few misgivings about his latest works set in a small New England town…

At least, the Countess of Wallachia emerges from the shadows, abandoning the Masquerade to conquer the world…and in the excess of 1980’s America, she has found her calling in the most unusual place…center stage, beneath a spotlight. Using her supernatural gifts of captivation, Ana-Maria of Wallachia has taken the world by storm as pop goddess ‘Stasia’.

When we meet our dark heroine, it is the mid-80’s and she is crown queen of pop. No other artist can touch her chart numbers and tv appearances are Super Bowl-like events. Her first starring film role was a blockbuster hit. All who hear her vivid, haunting records fall under her sway and make themselves more susceptible to her influence each time they listen. She is preparing to embark on a world-wide tour, further spreading her plague-like influence until the entire globe is at risk….

bubby

Norsegod1839

Mathim I should be getting my O'Connell Pm'd to you today.

RedPhoenix

Mathim

You can all post the profile submissions here in the thread, just so everyone else gets a heads-up.

RedPhoenix

Name/Identity: Ankhesenamun / Sunset Gamal

Age: 28 (in her current body, her spirit is over 3300 years old)

Role/Alignment: Unaffiliated Initially

Sex Preference (Self-identification and preferred pairing): Omnisexual Cisfemale

O/Os: Link to Author's. Sunny is attracted to non-materialism and lack of ambition in well to do people. She's had it with madmen who want to conquer the world, but is accustomed to living comfortably.

Special Skills/Talents/Abilities: She is a high priestess of Amun and much loved by the sun, the wind, and the forces of fertility, and can control them through ritual magic. She is an exceptional hand to hand combatant with short blades. As a former concubine, she has well, you know, those skills too. She has the memories of her former reincarnation, a crime lord, and thus has contacts in the underworld and related skills at subterfuge and illicit means of growing a financial empire. Despite her associations, she herself has no actual knowledge or skill with death magic.

Physical Description: Slender, beautiful, tends to wear comfortable, expensive clothing.

Distinguishing Features: Her eyes betray an ancient wisdom, especially to those who know these things.

Face Claim: Tara Emad

Personality: Sunset, having murdered a king, killed herself, been half-reincarnated, fully reincarnated, killed by a pit of scorpions and reincarnated yet again, is very cautious and pragmatic in her outlook on life. She distrusts grand schemes and ambitions and tends to find joy in the simpler things.

The constantly changing nature of the world fascinates her and she finds strange joy in learning new ways and new peoples. It is also amusing to her how what is considered shocking and new, at least some of it, in this current age would not have been so out of place in her day. One the other hand, she pities the fact that the true gods have been forgotten, and thinks that those who imagine themselves as living gods these days are fools at best.

She has little interest in modern technology, as she always felt that material things were the purview of slaves, and thinks lesser of those who do their own work. In her mind, the spiritual devastation of the modern world more than undoes any gains in petty materials. All of the pleasures that a person needs were known four thousand years ago the way she sees it. That being said, she isn't willing to give up on the world yet, and would like to spend some time bringing it back into the sun.

History: Thousands of years ago, Ankhesenamun was the High Priestess of Amun, Bodyguard of the Pharaoh, and his most prized concubine. The Pharaoh forbid her from touching any other, although she did not love him. She fell for the priest Imhotep, who promised her a life of neverending joy, and together the two of them killed the Pharaoh. She killed herself afterwards. Imhotep promised to raise her again. However his ritual was interrupted, and he himself was cursed and entombed alive.

Much later, he would rise as the undead, and once again attempted to bring his love back. He was interrupted by members of the society that fought such things, and Ankhesenamun's soul was returned to the world, but not to her body. As a result, she was now doomed to be reincarnated rather than resurrected.

Her soul found a home in a crime lord named Meela Nais, who found the memories of the ancient priestess quite useful. She sought out Imhotep again out of a desire to become more powerful through the mummy completing his ritual. Unfortunately they were defeated again, Ankhesenamun turning away from her love in disgust at the last moment, which led to her herself also being consumed in a messy fashion.

Her soul unable to find peace, she this time allowed it to find its own way and was born again as a young child. The current reincarnation of Ankhesenamun was born twenty-eight years ago. Her soul slowly awoke as her body aged, and by the time she was twelve she was fully aware of who she used to be. She left her home early, leaving her parents confused and worried, and embarked on becoming something of what she once was.

She preached the wisdom of Amun to those who would listen, demonstrating his gifts to a select few and more subtly to those who would listen, and slowly a small congregation began to grow around her. She focused on the wealthy, many of whom were eager to have the blessing of an obscure god, and something of a cult was slowly formed that spread through the wealthy of Egypt and is spreading into the Middle East and through the Mediterranean. Comfortable due to the significant tributes that her followers paid her, she enjoys what is to her at least, a humble existence as a spiritual leader.

Unfortunately her peaceful existence was disturbed as she became aware of an ancient prophecy that she knew others of her ilk would seek to take advantage of. Angered by this she determined she needed to go to Eastern Europe to either put it to an end, or make sure she was a part of it.