D&D Classic Adventures Interest Thread (Now Closed)

Started by HannibalBarca, January 10, 2018, 12:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HannibalBarca

I'm an old roleplaying gamer.  I mean, old.

Okay, maybe 48 isn't that old...but I started playing Dungeons and Dragons when I was ten...two years ahead of the recommended age of 12 on the original Basic D&D box set from 1978, which I received as a Christmas present in 1979.  I've spent most of that time as a GM, and run many, many campaigns, as a teen and adult, over the decades.  Unfortunately, my last time running a campaign was a play by email on Yahoo Groups in the early 2000s. 

I've run, and re-run some of the most classic adventures based in the original D&D World of Greyhawk, to the point where I eventually stitched them together--with some of my own adventures--into one cohesive campaign, in which the players could run their characters from neophytes all the way to world-saving heroes.

I played almost completely within the 1st Edition rules of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (AD&D), with only a touch of 2nd Edition thrown in towards the later years.  While I've never run a 3E or 3.5E campaign, I played a lot of Neverwinter Nights and it's attendant expansions on my PC back in the day, and I think I have a good grasp of that system's basics.  I don't own any of the books, though I've read up some on the Pathfinder system as well...I'm certainly no expert on that, either.  Perhaps the RP could even be played freeform, although I think some minimal amount of D&D framework would be useful in that as well.

My question is--is there any interest out there for a campaign based on these classic adventures, in the original, classic D&D world?  This is only an interest check, for now--before I collect all the information we'd need on the world, the basics of the setting, and decide on the rules edition to use.  There would likely be less emphasis on sex and romance--although I'm not at all opposed to it, the plot would be the central focus of the game.  I'd noticed and been interested in the 'healslut' sort of party, and that would be a possibility to introduce more sexual aspects into the game.  I'd be open to most classes and races that tend to populate D&D-type games.

Regardless, I first wish to know just who would be willing to RP in such a campaign.  If I had 4-6 interested players, I think I'd be willing to get the basics underway and start making some threads with the campaign background, maps, and such.  There is a lot to draw from after forty years of material, after all!

If anyone has questions, please leave them here in this thread, and I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible.  Thanks for your interest!

“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Foxy DeVille

I'd be interested in a throwback type of campaign. Been wanting to bust out my 80's style female wizard...

HannibalBarca

Just to let you know--the adventures and the campaign world would be the the throwback part.  Genders, sexualities, races--that would be open to all.  I want the RP to be focused on a fun fantasy.  As it is, you're the first to show interest, and a female wizard would be most welcome!
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: HannibalBarca on January 10, 2018, 01:59:34 AM
Just to let you know--the adventures and the campaign world would be the the throwback part.  Genders, sexualities, races--that would be open to all.  I want the RP to be focused on a fun fantasy.  As it is, you're the first to show interest, and a female wizard would be most welcome!

That's what I figured. Can we meet in a tavern and fight a lone orc guarding a chest?

HannibalBarca

Meeting in a tavern is almost required :P  As for a lone orc...well, there's a lone something guarding a chest at some point ;)
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Zenkai

Muse

*steps up and raises his hand* 

May I play? 

I'd definatly prefer second edition.  (Also gives you a solid idea of about where we line up in age and RP experience.)  But I could play first. 

I mgiht have trouble with the original boxed sets, though... 

The world you're speaking of.  Is that Oerth?  (Where Greyawk is found?)  Or "The Known World," which is explored in the boxed set?  (With all the dinosaurs showing up in the blue box IIRC?)  Or something else? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

National Acrobat

As an older player myself who cut his teeth on Greyhawk and the boxed sets of the 70’s I’d love some 1e ADnD set in Greyhawk.

Arcanist

I am definitely interested being an old player myself.
Hahaha...
Count me in!
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Annisthyrienne

This might be something I'd be interested in.  I started role playing with ADnD.  But it would depend on the posting rate requirements, or the gaming venue.  I am assuming that it would be based here on the forum? I'd be interested in a Ranger type most likely, or a dual classed Ranger/ Druid, and as for race, probably a half-elf, depending again on what races you allow.

Dhi

I'm interested and would also prefer 2e over 1e, just as a matter of personal aesthetic. Playing a 2e ranger would be great. I made such a character for a forums game that never materialized, and have been thinking about that again recently.

HannibalBarca

QuoteSo what system would the game use?

1st Edition AD&D, with some few additions from 2nd...or 3.5E or Pathfinder...or possibly even freeform.  I'm not sure yet.  It is hard finding people who know 1st Edition or own the books, but there's always the possibility.

QuoteI'd definatly prefer second edition.  (Also gives you a solid idea of about where we line up in age and RP experience.)  But I could play first.

I mgiht have trouble with the original boxed sets, though...

The world you're speaking of.  Is that Oerth?  (Where Greyawk is found?)  Or "The Known World," which is explored in the boxed set?  (With all the dinosaurs showing up in the blue box IIRC?)  Or something else? 

I never played 2nd Edition, though I owned some of the books for it.  Mostly, I used to to augment my 1st edition stuff.  And no, I wouldn't use the basic rules from the boxed set, as they were too stripped down for me, once I got the AD&D stuff.

Yes, Oerth, in the Flanaess.  Although I played in Dragonlance as well, and also created a couple of worlds, I'm very familiar with the World of Greyhawk.

QuoteThis might be something I'd be interested in.  I started role playing with ADnD.  But it would depend on the posting rate requirements, or the gaming venue.  I am assuming that it would be based here on the forum? I'd be interested in a Ranger type most likely, or a dual classed Ranger/ Druid, and as for race, probably a half-elf, depending again on what races you allow.

I'm expecting the posting rate to be somewhat slow to moderate: 1-2 posts a week...but that could be up for discussion with all of you who have shown interest.  1st Edition wasn't as good at dealing with multiclass characters like later editions, but we made it work.  I'd allow all the original races: human, elf, dwarf, halfling, gnome, half-elf, and half-orc.  Because of the slate of adventures and the overarching plot I have in mind for the game, only characters of good or neutral alignment would fit, so there would be that as well.  That would only leave out assassins as a class, since they have to be an evil alignment.

So I count 5 who are definitely in, and two maybes...that's pretty good so far, seeing as I'd want six characters max.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: HannibalBarca on January 10, 2018, 09:05:09 AM
1st Edition AD&D, with some few additions from 2nd...or 3.5E or Pathfinder...or possibly even freeform.  I'm not sure yet.  It is hard finding people who know 1st Edition or own the books, but there's always the possibility.

This might be of help for 1e resources that people could use... http://basicfantasy.org/

It's pretty much 1e with optional tweaks, like ones that make low level magic users more useful (*cough*likemine*cough*).  Plus it's all Open Source and free.

Dhi

I've got my 1e books. I've got a contraband Deities & Demigods with the copyright violations in.

We were quite young when we played 1e and didn't grasp the idea of discrete editions of a game, so the Advanced in AD&D was taken to mean optional rules for veteran players. What we played was an eclectic blend of BECMI with AD&D books, up until things clicked with 2e and it was clear what was what.

What are you looking to borrow from 2e? NWPs and kits?

National Acrobat

Quote from: Dhi on January 10, 2018, 09:49:19 AM
I've got my 1e books. I've got a contraband Deities & Demigods with the copyright violations in.

We were quite young when we played 1e and didn't grasp the idea of discrete editions of a game, so the Advanced in AD&D was taken to mean optional rules for veteran players. What we played was an eclectic blend of BECMI with AD&D books, up until things clicked with 2e and it was clear what was what.

What are you looking to borrow from 2e? NWPs and kits?

Same here. I have all the 1e books and the Original Greyhawk Setting as well, plus the ‘illegal’ dieties and demigods as well.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: National Acrobat on January 10, 2018, 10:03:27 AM
Same here. I have all the 1e books and the Original Greyhawk Setting as well, plus the ‘illegal’ dieties and demigods as well.

Hee hee... that's the geek badge of honor. I got mine at a tiny used bookstore where it was shoved in with some random sci-fi stuff. Pretty sure I heard a chorus of angels when I opened it.

Karma Sinclair

I'm interested if there's still room. I started playing with the original Basic D&D (the one in the red box) and did everything I could to get the Blue, Teal, Black and Gold boxes as well. I was so excited when I had a chance to "upgrade" to ADVANCED D&D. :D  Those were the good old days and I'd love to revisit them.

Chulanowa

I would LOVE to jump into an AD&D game (with a pref for 2nd edition, but 1st is fine too)

Green Goo Theory

Could be fun.  Never played any of the classics.  Any old game was homebrew.  I've been playing since 2e AD&D in the 90's on to 3.0, 3.5, PF, and 5e.  Never even looked at 1e before. 
Coming soon...

Muse

This all sounds great so far, Hannibal. 

What sort of erotic content, if any, are you hoping for? 

And on that topic, does anyone find small girls unapearling?  Like gnomes and halflings?   
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Chulanowa

Quote from: Muse on January 10, 2018, 12:41:15 PM
  This all sounds great so far, Hannibal. 

What sort of erotic content, if any, are you hoping for? 

And on that topic, does anyone find small girls unapearling?  Like gnomes and halflings?

Considering my extensive army of very appealing short lady characters? Cannot relate to this statement at all.  ;D

National Acrobat

Considering I play gnomes and halflings all the time I say bring ‘em on!

Chulanowa

I mean if need be we can compromise between smol and tol and just do an all-dwarf game  XD

Muse

*Sits a moment in respectful silence* 

Hanibal, I've just read your ons and offs page.  You, sir, are inspiring!  Why have i never tried to write with you before? 

LizzieV

I'm not sure if I have 1st ed but I have the revised 2nd books somewhere still. The sounds of the game is rather interesting and I wouldn't mind being a tall person in the middle of a bunch of short characters O_o

I'm not sure how many characters or what's going on exactly with this idea but there's an interest from me in it.
O/O