What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Soran on April 18, 2010, 09:46:26 AM
Have been playing old school games just lately...Rome Total war.... still the best in the series imho.... the occasional game of Supreme commander and some Fallout 3 GOTY edition  :-)
Question: Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition comes with all the downloadable content. I want to know, is the DLC in redeemable cards or is on a disc?

Playing: Gears of War and Gears of War 2. Not thrilled by one but two is a much better game, in my opinion.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Brandon

The Gears of war series doesnt really have a lot going for it IMO. Its got decent 3rd person combat, in fact I think its the guide on how to make good 3rd person/cover based shooters but the story, or lack there of, is why I dont like the series. I rented the first one when it came out, played it to completion and was sorely disappointed at none of my questions being answered about the setting. When the second one came out I gave the franchise another chance and the story disappointed me even more. At this point, I dont even think I will be renting the 3rd one.

Anyway, I rented Boyonetta tonight and a few hours in and I already know this game is going to make absolutely no sense. You can tell its made by the same director as Devil may Cry but it seems like he continues that proud tradition of not letting us play when anything cool happens as well as creating over the top fight scenes that really have less style then "hey doesnt this look cool" moments. I think he and Hideo Kojima would get along great...which also makes me think that Devil May Cry stopped being good with the second one and never will be again
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Heaven Sent Blossom

Devil May Cry 2 was easily the worst game of the series (4 tries its best to take that crown but ultimately it falls just short). Bayonetta is leaps and bounds ahead of that series in pretty much every department, in fact if this were a world in which God Hand didn't already exist then Bayonetta would probably be hailed as the greatest brawler ever created. And hey, at least it's not Too Human.

I just got done playing H.A.W.X (which is basically Ace Combat 6 with even more air to ground combat, a less mental storyline and without the awesome prototypes with laser weapons) but will probably continue on with it in adversarial or co-op I suppose. I've also got Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza 3 to be going on with but my PS3 barely gets any love so I have no idea when I will get through those, I blame it all on Bad Company 2.
Oh and Pokemon, always Pokemon.

Samael

Tried to play "The Last Remnant".
At the start it was interesting, and most characters seem fun. I also love that there are so many monstrous races quite readily available from the start, but damnit, the fights get utterly repetitive after a while, and right now I am doing a side mission in a HUUUUGE and EMPTY desert... filled with random, boring fights. Yeah, I think this game shall be removed from my HD tonight.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on December 13, 2009, 09:13:56 PM
Currently Playing:
Wild Arms 2(PS1) - I am about 15 hours into it and slowly moving along.  Some of the puzzles in the game are so damn hard!
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth(PS1) - I am about to start the last chapter and I have almost reached my one year anniversary of playing that game.
Kingdom Hearts(PS2) - I am currently at Aladdin's World.
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - This game will be replacing Makai Kingdom and I cannot wait to play it.  However, I know it is going to take a LONG time to beat it.

So, I just beat Wild Arms 2.

It is rather strange to play a RPG and not having to grind during it.  I didn't do any of it at all as I just walked through the game like normal.  It got a little frustrating and annoying at the end, but it was an enjoyable experience.  Not the greatest game in the world, but it was pretty damn good and I was impressed.  Not bad, but not the greatest...

Currently Playing:
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - I was thoroughly disappointed in the first game, but I heard good reviews about this one.  I truly hope this one is different...
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth - All I have left is the final battles, but it was recommended that I be level 80 to do it.  I'm level 56 right now.  Yeah, this game takes forever.
Kingdom Hearts - I just started the 'Nightmare Before Christmas' world.  It has been pretty good, but some of the worlds are just so damn annoying.
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - I am currently in Chapter 6 and doing some leveling.  I love this game and it has completely built upon the first one!
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Oniya

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on April 19, 2010, 09:51:37 PM
Kingdom Hearts - I just started the 'Nightmare Before Christmas' world.  It has been pretty good, but some of the worlds are just so damn annoying.

Atlantica?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lady Annabelle

YES!

Ursula, you suck and I hated that world.  Swimming was bothersome and the two boss fights were beyond frustrating.  It is soooo damn nice to be walking around again...
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Craz

Ah, water worlds. There has yet to be a good one.

Brandon

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on April 19, 2010, 07:59:19 PM
Devil May Cry 2 was easily the worst game of the series (4 tries its best to take that crown but ultimately it falls just short). Bayonetta is leaps and bounds ahead of that series in pretty much every department, in fact if this were a world in which God Hand didn't already exist then Bayonetta would probably be hailed as the greatest brawler ever created. And hey, at least it's not Too Human.

Sorry but Ill have to disagree because purely based on Fun factor 2 is my favorite. Now fun for me is a game where gameplay and story go hand in hand. Bayonetta, Devil may cry 3 & 4 all have the same problem where when the cool fight scenes happen they try to involve the player as little as possible which is bad game design IMO. On top of that at least the earlier DMC's made some fricking sense when you played them all the way through, the same can not be said of DMC 4 or Bayonetta. Im also not sure I would call God hand the best brawler ever, mostly because I've never played it. For me that award goes to God of War which is just pure gory fun. I will agree with 1 point though, at least its not Too Human

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Brandon on April 19, 2010, 11:39:18 PM
Sorry but Ill have to disagree because purely based on Fun factor 2 is my favorite. Now fun for me is a game where gameplay and story go hand in hand. Bayonetta, Devil may cry 3 & 4 all have the same problem where when the cool fight scenes happen they try to involve the player as little as possible which is bad game design IMO. On top of that at least the earlier DMC's made some fricking sense when you played them all the way through, the same can not be said of DMC 4 or Bayonetta. Im also not sure I would call God hand the best brawler ever, mostly because I've never played it. For me that award goes to God of War which is just pure gory fun. I will agree with 1 point though, at least its not Too Human

God of War is great, but the combat system is shallower than I am--which is a special kind of accomplishment I suppose. However I delight in the completely mental story that God of War weaves, slipping deeper down into the abyss of lunacy with each iteration. I'm hoping that the third ends with Kratos just headbutting Zeus into oblivion, and maybe the fourth can just entail Kratos deciding that the Norse look a bit shifty and need to be taught a lesson.

Personally I found Bayonetta to have really good fights while I had control, however the combat system clicked with me like a dream and I was ice skating around and beating angels to death with a demonic whip in no time flat so your mileage may vary on that one, oh and the gun-chucks the things I did to the Joys with the gun-chucks are probably illegal. I also found the Bayonetta story to be surprisingly coherent considering what I was expecting from it. It is a game that is worth persevering with though, if for no other reason than for the Fantasy Zone homage (and the music, the awesome music!).

Every time I think of Too Human I frown. On the one hand it's a great punchline, on the other hand I paid money for that punchline and wanted it to be awesome--and yet somehow I keep going back to it, for example I actually played it for about an hour and a half tonight after mentioning it in this thread. I think I need some kind of therapy.

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on April 19, 2010, 09:51:37 PM
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth - All I have left is the final battles, but it was recommended that I be level 80 to do it.  I'm level 56 right now.  Yeah, this game takes forever.
Oh hey, somebody else has played Hoshigami. That game was---an experience, to put it mildly

GeekFury

Assassins Creed, the first one and mucking about in Black and White 2 again, love that game. Villagers make a funny noise when you lob them at the enemy while they're on fire.

Oniya

Quote from: GeekFury on April 20, 2010, 08:51:36 AM
Villagers make a funny noise when you lob them at the enemy while they're on fire.

Bwah-hah-hah!  The game I'm playing lets you grab and throw monsters as well.  It doesn't seem to do more than stun them, but the designers actually animated the critters struggling.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Xenophile

Battle for Wesnoth. It's a free turn-based strategy fantasy game, with loads of mods. It's a really good game, and I recommend it.

Did I mention it's free to download, with a open source code too?
Ons and Offs
Updated 2011 June 5th A's and A's

Athena

Assassin's Creed and God of War 2.

...and Pogo Bowl.  XD
Things you should know before diving in (O&Os + Kink List)

Be the change you wish to see.

Inkidu

Quote from: Samael on April 19, 2010, 08:15:56 PM
Tried to play "The Last Remnant".
At the start it was interesting, and most characters seem fun. I also love that there are so many monstrous races quite readily available from the start, but damnit, the fights get utterly repetitive after a while, and right now I am doing a side mission in a HUUUUGE and EMPTY desert... filled with random, boring fights. Yeah, I think this game shall be removed from my HD tonight.
I hear you can't even beat Last Remnant if you try to level up your characters by the traditional methods. You have to stick to the fights in the main quest and not go a looking for any more or the final boss is unbeatable because he's scaled to you level. Square-Enix. Why do you make me hate you. Why?

I'm currently playing Bioshock 2 again. Evil this time.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Xenophile on April 24, 2010, 10:50:57 AM
Battle for Wesnoth. It's a free turn-based strategy fantasy game, with loads of mods. It's a really good game, and I recommend it.

Did I mention it's free to download, with a open source code too?

I pulled an all-nighter a while ago, stayed up all night chatting with people and playing Battle for Wesnoth. I kept seeing hex grids where there were none the next day. Mm, hallucinations ..

That said, it's an excellent game. Better than a lot of recent games, with a lot of depth and .. well, I second your recommendation.

As for me, I recently went on a frenzy, installing tons of old games. Crysis and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic ( most underrated game in recent memory ). I also bought Deus Ex: Invisible War on Steam for nothing, and I have to say, I'm enjoying it. Getting quite excited about Human Revolution. Which also has an amazing subtitle, I have to say.

Xenophile

Ah, I remember my first game hallucination. Command & Conquer: Red Alert. Good times, good times.

And then of course there was Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction... I closed my eyes, and all I was seeing was the choppin' and whackin'.
Ons and Offs

Sabby

DE:IW suffered from a clunky game engine and unneeded scaling back, but I still enjoyed it. Actually, I loved it. It was one of the few games where I felt like I had choices. The early mission with Sofia Sax is a great example of the open ended level design and mission structure.

Well, been on the downloadable Challenge Maps for Arkham Asylum... the endless brawl is a bitch.

VictoriaVale

Quote from: Inkidu on April 24, 2010, 04:48:14 PM
I hear you can't even beat Last Remnant if you try to level up your characters by the traditional methods. You have to stick to the fights in the main quest and not go a looking for any more or the final boss is unbeatable because he's scaled to you level. Square-Enix. Why do you make me hate you. Why?

It is beatable. I've beaten the Absolute Conqueror on TLR ['Absolute' being the super-charged version you fight, once you beat all side missions] at a Battle Rank of 130, and at 70.
I actually found The Last Remnant's battle system to be one of the better ones of recent RPGs.
Anyone can grind past a tough enemy... but it takes skill and knowledge of a game, to be able to beat tough enemies that are scaled to your own level.
But I suppose it ultimately depends on what you play games for in the first place. Whether you enjoy the challenge, or just want to beat games to say you have.

Novak

pokemon red  feeling nostalgic

Sabby

Ventica. Yeah, I never heard of it either... its not even released outside of Germany yet.

Wolfy

Sabby's playing me right now...

but that's neither here nor there. <_<>_>

Right now I'm playing Record of Agarest war...and recently I've been getting Nostalgia playing Sonic 1-Sonic & Knuckles....ooh, and Megaman 10.

Can't wait till Monday..the Halo: reach Beta finally starts..gonna be awesome...

Xenophile

Mount & Blade: Warbands.

Singleplayer is as good as fun as the original, if not more.

The Khergit Empire has doubled its size, and soon it will be mine! All mine!  >:)
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Bully: Scholarship Edition. Partaking in that fine old New England tradition of preparatory school. With Rockstar's brand of humor.

WET: It's like a sugar high for action gamers. n_n

Inkidu

I just picked up Metro: 2033 today and if you love hud-less immersion, post-apocalyptic shooters buy it. The bullets for money system is a welcome challenge.