An American Heiress in London (MF late Victorian early 1900s game)

Started by LtRipley, September 20, 2018, 12:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LtRipley

I recently rewatched Downton Abbey and it made me itch for a game related to it in some way (if you love that show send me a pm even if this idea doesn't appeal, we could probably come up with something) and the first thing that stood out to me is the trend of what were called "American Princesses" and were basically the daughters of wealthy families. Their fathers were railroad tycoons, bank owners, politicians, and various other business moguls and cultural figures. At this time the power structure in England was shifting and more and more noble families were finding themselves running out of money. A popular way of fixing the problem was to marry their sons to these American heiresses, whose families sought the prestige and connections that being married into a noble family could bring.

I would love to play an American heiress who has come to London for this very reason. We could have our main pair already being engaged and promised to one another and she is coming to England to marry him, or she's come with her family to find a husband by having her join in the Season, which was in the spring and summer in London. Noble girls were presented at court to announce they were elligible for marriage and everyone who's anyone is being invited to the right parties. We could skip that entirely and have them marry early in the game instead.

Either way, I'm looking for a character driven game with a lot of drama and intrigue and sexual tension! Plenty of room for there to be a cast of characters and plenty of potential for all sorts of fun scenarios.

I'm not looking for someone who is an expert in this time period! I'm somewhat knowledgeable about it but mostly just a few movies, articles, and wikipedia pages. I'm looking to have fun not be historically accurate, leaning more heavily on the 'fiction' part of 'historical fiction'.

Please take a look at my o/o's before contacting me :)

Lovely Complex

So, before I send you a PM, I've never seen Downton Abbey(even though I want to so bad!) but will that be an issue? I've been in almost enough historical drama roleplays to understand the terminology and such. Plus, I am trying to get back into writing and something like this is right up my alley. Well, sort of. lol

I hope to hear back from you!
💋 On's & Off's 💋 F-List 💋