Aberrant (this is not a comic book game)

Started by Tamhansen, October 15, 2012, 02:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

Imagine a world exactly like ours.
The cubs haven't won the penant in over a hundred years. Brasil is preparing for the olympics and the world cup, China is occupieing Tibet, Sudan and south Sudan are fighting a post seperaion war, and the I phone 5 brought about storefront riots all over the western world.

Well, maybe not exactly like ours:
the cubs just signed a new pitcher who can make his pitch break the sound barrier, Brazil's arenas for the olympics include a human flight range, trucklifting stages and underwater hockey ranges. China's occupational forces are fighting rebels who can breath fire, turn to stone or scream a tank to bits, in Sudan men capable of creating tornadoes fight against or alongside those capable of ripping someone to bits with their claws. And the Iphone 5 has a built in 3d holographic projector making a telephone call like stepping into someone's home.

What happened there?

The world I'm describing was once exactly like ours. But that all changed on March 23rd 1998, when the satelite Galatea explodes, raining down quantum charged radioactive particles into the skies. A day later, in New York a Schoolbus full of children get's in an accident and catches fire. local firefighter Randel Portman, is witnessed to suddenly absorb the flames, saving the entirety of the bus' passengers, and leaving behind as evidence only the pieces of his disintegrated uniform, and molten asphalt around him. Randel himself is unharmed.

Within a few weeks reports of people showing Aberrant behaviour come from all over the world, and widespread panic ensues. Within a month, the U.N. launches a new program, with the help of the Aeon foundation. Project Utopia. Designed to help the Homo sapiens Novus or Novas as they are soon called to understand themselves and help the betterment of mankind and the earth.

many governments meanwhile try to control the problem by hunting down novas either to enlist their services, or to imprison or even kill them. The USA, UK, France, Germany and Japan form a cooperative agency to monitor and deal with the situation world wide. It is called the directive, and is a fully 'baseline' as normal humans are sometimes called institute tasked with assessing and resolving Nova threats. In later years South Africa, Canada, Spain and the netherlands will join the directive.

Of course some Novas don't care for helping humans or playing by the rules. A new philosophy called Terras appears, stating that Novas are the new evolutionary step for man, and that Novas can not be held to human standards. On the other end, reactionary religious groups claim Novas are a scourge, and must be destroyed.

Now it is 2012, and the world has changed. Novas have helped shape the earth in ways unimaginable before. Cures have been found for aids and most forms of cancer, a huge terraforming project in Ethipoia has turned the region into lush farmland hugely mitigating world hunger. Vast improvements have been madein renewable energy sources, and Utopia peacekeepers have stopped several wars.

N! The nova network provides round the clock coverage of Nova news, sports, entertainment and fashion. Broadcasting on six channels of the Opnet. a Viasoft invention which can be accessed by AR visors available everywhere.

Not all is good though. Nova warlords fight each other in central Africa, juntas are remerging in south America, and Nova criminals are beyond the means of any baseline police force.

And then there's actually being a Nova. Finding out you are a freak of nature. Holding great power, but also being feared and misunderstood, or sometimes downright dispised by your community, and the world at large.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My idea. I want to start a group of Novas who've been recruited by project utopia to help the world. However as time goes by they notice things at the project are of. Unexplained disappearances, colleagues being killed by freak accidents or sometimes unknown causes. People going crazy, or losing their powers. Project Utopia is not what it seems.

What this game is not.

It's not a superhero game. Players will not be a band of caped crusaders working out of a secret lair in a mountain to fight evil masterminds using their legions of minions for world domination.
it's not a costume fetish game. Sex will be a part of the game, and I will not stop anyone from writing it, but the main focus will be the development of the characters. Their hopes their fears. Essentially a three dimensional story that will be fun to read as well as write.

What is the game then.
A deep look into the soul of the Nova. his struggle against the world and his inner turmoil
A realisation that there is no such thing as black and white. Merely a whole bunch of grays
A game that revolves around the telling of a story. With plausible plots and relatable characters.
A lot of fun I hope.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll most likely GM this game myself, but I'm very egalitarian, I love co-GM's whether they contribute a lot or just a little, and simply relish player input.

As for characters. You will start out as Baseline humans, and gain your eruption in a one on one prelude. Of course you'll have great say over your powers, but I am the final judge to whether something fits your focus (A focus being the core power, that from which all your powers are derived. Examples can include: Nature, a specific element, a specific animal, a concept) Your focus will in essence be your choice, but I reserve the right to deny or restrict foci.

For more background information, there's an Aberant section on the White-wolf wiki, and I will be adding info to my own site this week, as i need to prune the books to only include that for which I have permission to share without having to pay CCP/WW

Character sheets will be available online tomorrow as will be the character creation rules. The powers list will be along before the weekend.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Kolbrandr

are you going to be using the actual system from the Aberrant rulebook and such? I'm pretty partial to it and all.

avorae

I would be interested in playing if this game gets off the ground.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Starlequin

I think I might be interested in playing as well, if its freeform or close to it.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Muse

Hi, I really love the Aberant game.  (And Trinity after it.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AribethAmkiir

So interested.  Not familiar with the system unfortunately though.

Muse

Ari-chan, it's a White Wolf game.  The system came out about the time the Classic World of Darkness was winding down.  That means--if I'm not mistaken--some contested rolls.  I'm not sure how the GM will want to handle that on play by post. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Tamhansen

Quote from: Kolbrandr on October 15, 2012, 06:57:36 PM
are you going to be using the actual system from the Aberrant rulebook and such? I'm pretty partial to it and all.
Quote from: Starlequin on October 15, 2012, 11:14:25 PM
I think I might be interested in playing as well, if its freeform or close to it.
Quote from: Muse on October 16, 2012, 04:38:52 AM
Ari-chan, it's a White Wolf game.  The system came out about the time the Classic World of Darkness was winding down.  That means--if I'm not mistaken--some contested rolls.  I'm not sure how the GM will want to handle that on play by post. 

i was planning on using the cyharacter sheet, and the creation system, but resolve most of the mechanics by freeform. I want to use a character sheet, because I want to be clear about the characters' strengths and weaknesses. Mainly for myself as I have a terrible memory. i will not be requiring rolls, merely plausible (well plausible in abberant anyway) explanations. I see role play as a way to sell stories, and although some rules are required, too many just get in the way.

I see there is already quite a lot of interest, and I'm glad for that. i would like to know if there are some people who'd be willing to do a little bit of co ST ing. Nothing to serious, just throw an encounter at some people, or play the role of an NPC now and again. If there are, we'd be able to host a larger group, where people mingle, form groups and leave them again. Form rivalries or romantic ties. I'd love for that to happen, but as a single ST it's a bit hard to do. so if a few, or all of you are willing to pitch in here and there, that'd make a great game, I'm sure of it. Anyway, I'll have the char sheet and creation rules up in a few hours. list of powers, probably later today or early tomorrow system time, as I want to tweak them a bit for forum play. I'll also provide a list of foci, but that will not be exhaustive, feel free to pm me with your own ideas.
ons and offs

yaracyrrah

I'd be happy to pitch in with NPCs.  I'm not very good at running encounters, though.

MaiMizzu

I dont know the source material you mentioned, but I think I'd still be interested in this. I know you said it's not a comic book RP, but it feels sortakindainaway like the first parts of x-men first class. Like the 'novas' finding out they have power and dealing with them. So the individual characters would start without human, then gain powers, then be 'recruited' by Project Utopia.. am I right in this?
I think I could get into this. Like I said, I dont know the source mateiral, but I know about playing muta--ERRRAAARR Novas, and I'd like to give it a go.
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

Tamhansen

Quote from: MaiMizzu on October 16, 2012, 09:31:47 AM
I dont know the source material you mentioned, but I think I'd still be interested in this. I know you said it's not a comic book RP, but it feels sortakindainaway like the first parts of x-men first class. Like the 'novas' finding out they have power and dealing with them. So the individual characters would start without human, then gain powers, then be 'recruited' by Project Utopia.. am I right in this?
I think I could get into this. Like I said, I dont know the source mateiral, but I know about playing muta--ERRRAAARR Novas, and I'd like to give it a go.

Actually the "this is not a comic book RP" was coined by White wolf, and it was used to explain that were comic books were black and white (morally, not litteraly) Abberant was all about grey areas. I just use it for the same purpose.

I agree that there is more than a bit of common ground with first class. But first class is kind of an exception to the rule. Except for goodie twoshoes Xavier.

I guess the point of my post is that the game will not be about a group of superheroes saving the world from some nefarious overlord. Expect moral quanderies, questionable orders, having to decide the lesser evil. Great heroes turning out to have less pleasant motives.

If you'd still be willing to try please apply. I'll try to accomodate as many players as is reasonable.

As for the backstory, i will make as much of the relevant info as i can available before the weekend. Do some massive prepwork in the weekend, and start to get things going on monday.
ons and offs

MaiMizzu

Oh, I'm definately interested. How you described it is how I kinda saw it too.

I might be blind and a little dumb, but is there a CS template yet? Or a list of powers? I couldnt find either in the thread.

And yes, still definately interested. I'm in!!
The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

TheVillain

Might chip in then with an old character of mine. Let me know if there's something you don't like Kata

Birth name: Frederick "Freakshow" McGowan

Nova Name: Mr. Alchemy

Country/Region of Origin: London, England

Appearance: Like a punk rocker whose only just decided to cut his hair this young man is rarely seen out of doors in anything but camouflage camo pants, t-shirts featuring various punk albums, and his favorite jacket patched to the point the canvas underneath is almost unrecognizable. In warm weather he'll trade the jacket and t-shirt in for black a-frames. Extensive tattoo work covers his arms and most of his torso, though he has no piercings and his brown hair is not altered beside being combed. The tattoos mostly seem to be scenes from various myths and legends- predominately centered on King Arthur but every culture makes an appearance somewhere, showing a surprisingly well read education.

With his powers, it's not surprising that he has quickly acquired some level of Taint. He is basically in command of two of the four known fundamental forces of the universe. The moment he erupted Freddie's eyes went from a normal white with a blue blue iris to entirely black. When using his powers in a stressful situation his black eyes are often reported to appear to be bleeding, though chemical analysis of the fluid has determined that it isn't actually blood. He doesn't really wear a costume but he does wear a gasmask and a jacket covered in alchemiac symbols when he acts as Mr. Alchemy.

Power: Some consider Fred to have rolled the Jackpot for Powers as he has the power of Matter Transmutation. He can't stop bullets with his mind, but he can turn the metal into something relatively harmless like packing foam. Between his lack of experience and lack of chemistry knowledge he at present seems only capable of simple and temporary end-products, though a solid object turned into a gas is usually so dispersed by the time the matter tries to take it's original form that it may as well of been permanent.

Bio: Born the son of a borderline emotionally abusive and not-so-secretly-racist military man, Frederick started rebelling in his teenage years and never stopped. His father wanted him to join the military, marry a nice (white) girl, and live his own life over again. Frederick took to art and was sorely tempted to tell him he was gay just to piss off the old man. When Freddie was 10 his mother got the guts together to leave his father and moved to London, to which Frederick would take to like a fish to water when he was old enough for the punk scene.

Growing up a London punk, he quickly discovered that he was okay at drawing but otherwise really had nothing to look forward to in his future. Still, going commercial he does make enough to live on his own. A local artist considered good, though not great, he has finally been convinced to join a mate's punk/funk band as the bassist. He's not that good- but he has the attitude and he's getting better, honest. Of course, his life is starting to get more complicated as his art is taking off and the band is actually starting to not suck. His father has announced that he has political ambitions and wants to be back in his life and his mother is going to remarry.

Possible Eruption

The night started the way such things should start. Catastrophe had a gig, and Freddie was on bass. The other opening act was some hate-core skinhead band, who the consensus was that at least they were musically decent. The main act was some corporate band that was gobshite, so Catastrophe and their "entourage" hopped to a different bar. If by entourage you meant the rest of the band, Davey's younger brother Stevey, and Stevey's boyfriend John.

Freddie had thought that Stevey and John had gone off to snog if he was being fully honest. He never expected to run into that hate-core band again. He definitely didn't expect them to have guns. For now they were just amusing themselves with Stevey and John- but they looked like they'd be okay with some medical help. But between the acceptance of gays, the race mixing, and the overall better music of Catastrophe- they weren't going to take it lying down.

Freddie doesn't remember much beyond a blinding headache as his M-R node came crashing into existence. Between the surviving witnesses and some security camera footage a story has been put together. The skinheads made lots of threats. Threats to rape and kill his friends, and to make him watch it all for being a race traitor. Guns were aimed at him, knives were pulled out of sheaths and the moment the blades started touching skins- he Erupted. One skinhead screamed as he disintegrated, guns were remade into spike traps, and the leader died slowly as the oxygen in the air he was trying to breathe was turned into some sort of yellow gas.

Legally, it's been declared a dramatic but fairly obvious case of self-defense and defense of others.

Freddie still says matter sings to him now, and his eyes have gone black permanently. Realizing the full scope of his potential abilities- Freddie thinks he has the potential to be one of the most powerful novas in the world if he isn't already. That isn't megalomania, it's just basic fact- when he says "jump" matter itself asks "how high?". Yeah, he's registered- because somehow he's got to be held accountable for his power. If it was just claws or something he'd tell the registry types to piss off but Matter Transmutation is a bit higher then that. It scares the crap out of him, and he's not ashamed to admit it. The spandex may be for ponces but his idealism doesn't let him sit on the sidelines- and when needed he dons the jacket and gasmask of Mr. Alchemy.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Tamhansen

I'm currenty looking at how to best place the character sheet. As for a list of powers, it will be up around this time tomorrow. Powers are very personal based on focus. For example, there's one power called flight, but where a Nova with windbased powers might soar as a bird, or float like a genie, a person with firepowers might use his arms or feet as jet engines.

@ the villain, I love your char, but I'm thinking most people will be going "aarrrgh all those numbers" now. I'm working on a way to simplify the process for them while still allowing them to get as complete a char sheet as you have.

As for the character itself, I could really see that working
ons and offs

TheVillain

Hence why I spoilered the sheet. Just ignore that bit for now, kiddies. :P
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

MaiMizzu

Quote from: Katataban on October 16, 2012, 12:03:32 PM
@ the villain, I love your char, but I'm thinking most people will be going "aarrrgh all those numbers" now. I'm working on a way to simplify the process for them while still allowing them to get as complete a char sheet as you have.

Yeah my head exploded when I saw all the numbers. I was like.. i can't do that..

And yeah, if you put out a list of powers to choose from, i can make a character for one.

TheVillain

Kolbrandr

Quotei was planning on using the cyharacter sheet, and the creation system, but resolve most of the mechanics by freeform.

Are you going for standard character creation? The Utopian/T2M novas tend to be a bit cut above the others as their thing, if that's who you mean to have the players be part of and all.

stargirl

Hi,
  I like Aberrant and I know the books. (including Action! and Trinity)
I would like to play. I may even help with NPCS.

I will make my starting character by the book rules.

Tamhansen

Quote from: Kolbrandr on October 16, 2012, 12:46:19 PM
Are you going for standard character creation? The Utopian/T2M novas tend to be a bit cut above the others as their thing, if that's who you mean to have the players be part of and all.

Actually, the original character creation was designed for utopians. I'm not going for team tomorrow members, as that would put it right back in the superhero category I'm trying to avoid. But you can expect them to rear their ugly inflated heads now and again.

And yes, I think standard character creation rules should suffice. But characters will grow during the game.

Quote from: MaiMizzu on October 16, 2012, 12:07:00 PM
Yeah my head exploded when I saw all the numbers. I was like.. i can't do that..

And yeah, if you put out a list of powers to choose from, i can make a character for one.

The WW character sheet looks overwhelming at first, but it's actually quite easy. But once you pick a concept for your character I can build most of it for you based on your ideas and wishes. That goes for everyone who doesn't feel up to the task of filling the sheet. Just dialogue with me on your concept. (Starting monday please, I'm swamped in preparation for this atm) And I can fill it for you to represent your character.
Quote from: stargirl on October 16, 2012, 12:54:07 PM
Hi,
  I like Aberrant and I know the books. (including Action! and Trinity)
I would like to play. I may even help with NPCS.

I will make my starting character by the book rules.

Sounds like a plan
ons and offs

Tamhansen

Already two other people who know and like trinity/aeon Wow, maybe we could get a game of that going in the future. It's a favourite of mine, but a hard sell to people unfamiliar with it.
ons and offs

MaiMizzu

Quote from: Katataban on October 16, 2012, 12:56:28 PM
The WW character sheet looks overwhelming at first, but it's actually quite easy. But once you pick a concept for your character I can build most of it for you based on your ideas and wishes. That goes for everyone who doesn't feel up to the task of filling the sheet. Just dialogue with me on your concept. (Starting monday please, I'm swamped in preparation for this atm) And I can fill it for you to represent your character.

Once you get the powers list up, I can come up with a character concept. I'm pretty good at that. I'll give you as much info as I can. I have a few ideas rumbling 'round in my head.

phoenyx

a'ight clueless to the game system other than it being a WW one, but I'm in Kata, and will help however you need as well. just give me a prod... or something to run with *grins*
♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O

Vaulera

Wow, that is actually quite an interesting concept. I'd like to take part in it, if there is still room.

AribethAmkiir

More than willing to step in and help.  It being freeform (or not requiring rolls) makes it easier to run scenes.  May just need help creating characters until I get used to that.

stargirl

stargirl

Hi,
   Should I make my character as a Baseline now and then we will play thought Eruption? Or should I make it all done and start when she is already a nova?

Kolbrandr

Ah, is this basically completely freeform barring character creation?

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: stargirl on October 16, 2012, 10:18:13 PM
Hi,
   Should I make my character as a Baseline now and then we will play thought Eruption? Or should I make it all done and start when she is already a nova?

Hey Star,

My understanding is that we'll each be going through a 1v1 prelude where the characters each experience their very own eruption.  I can't really comment on how to make the character since that hasn't been posted yet, but it was mentioned that we'd each begin as baselines and gain our powers during the individual preludes.

stargirl

I will tell here what is my character concept. The sheet will come later, as I need more time to have it right, and I have to wait for the direction, right?

My character is. Nurse College student. She joined the College because she wants to help people. She doesn't like novas. They can't be trusted and she believes all of the are evil some way. She is a very religious person and believes the Novas are almost like Devils. She is a good girl for all things, but prejudiced against novas.

(The idea is of she erupting into an angel, with beautiful white feathers wings)

Tamhansen

Quote from: stargirl on October 17, 2012, 02:43:44 PM
I will tell here what is my character concept. The sheet will come later, as I need more time to have it right, and I have to wait for the direction, right?

My character is. Nurse College student. She joined the College because she wants to help people. She doesn't like novas. They can't be trusted and she believes all of the are evil some way. She is a very religious person and believes the Novas are almost like Devils. She is a good girl for all things, but prejudiced against novas.

(The idea is of she erupting into an angel, with beautiful white feathers wings)

I like the concept very much

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on October 17, 2012, 01:23:11 AM
Hey Star,

My understanding is that we'll each be going through a 1v1 prelude where the characters each experience their very own eruption.  I can't really comment on how to make the character since that hasn't been posted yet, but it was mentioned that we'd each begin as baselines and gain our powers during the individual preludes.

Very correct. of course the player get's to decide what concept they want and what kind of powers they prefer, but I want to be involved in the eruption process. that being the point your powers manifest for those unfamiliar. Because I want to guide your development.

If I may use Stargirl's example for a minute. She feels her character should erupt sort of as an angel. Now I have two ideas on her power concept I'd discuss with her. one based on Michael, the great defender, giving her the power of angelic flight, but also could develop the flaming sword, and the power to shield those in need.

The other concept being Gabriel, which would give her more soothing and healing powers. So as you can see there are many ways to spin a concept, and each of those make for a brilliant short thread on your eruptions.
Sorry for the delays, I promise that everything will be done by monday, but the EP&H deadline is coming up and I'm also involved in some other nice E! projects
ons and offs

stargirl

I was thinking more like Gabriel, the heavens messenger. She would have things like Mega-Charisma, maybe healing too. I just don't know how much is to a start character.

Tamhansen

Okay, the full character creation system is to be found at http://pictureplace.hostei.com/abberant.xps

It's a bit of a read but it contains all the rules on building a character, including powers, stats and all other stuff you need. If you have any questions feel free, but until Monday I promise no prompt response, I will try to be as prompt as possible though.
ons and offs

Salvation

I am new here, but this very much has my interest.  If there is still room, I would like to see about applying. I have some idea as to a couple of character ideas, which would include something with powers around fire, or perhaps some type of warrior ..well, I always did like the Valkyrie types.. fighting skills, strength, etc.  Or well, I can always tailor something that suits the system. I love the idea of starting out as normal person and the eruption process.

I will look over the links you provided in the prior post too. I have some familiarity with WW and recall the aberrants, though I didn't do any RP involving that.

Tamhansen

Salvation, you are more than welcome to apply as I've currently not said a definite yes to anyone, and tbh if I can manage it I'd like to have everyone get in. This would mean that my attention is spread thin though, so I hope people will be fairly self reliant in keeping each other entertained, and anyone willing to help with the GMíng in any way, no matter how small (playing a NPC baddie, or even a shopkeeper or waitress now and again. or helping new plot develop will be more than welcome to do just that. I'm a fairly open GM and easily approve things if they are creative, and not too gamedisturbing.

Anouncement:
I'll start the game threads Monday. Anyone interested and with either a full character or a pretty good idea of what they want can contact me. Anyone interested but still having more questions can PM me as well. I'm guessing it'll take a while for the story to fully start up anyway as I'll do eruptions first. /b]
ons and offs

stargirl

I'm not sure about playing bad girl, but if you need baseline NPC, I can sure help.

This game will be so much fun.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Katataban on October 18, 2012, 02:05:34 PM
Salvation, you are more than welcome to apply as I've currently not said a definite yes to anyone, and tbh if I can manage it I'd like to have everyone get in. This would mean that my attention is spread thin though, so I hope people will be fairly self reliant in keeping each other entertained, and anyone willing to help with the GMíng in any way, no matter how small (playing a NPC baddie, or even a shopkeeper or waitress now and again. or helping new plot develop will be more than welcome to do just that. I'm a fairly open GM and easily approve things if they are creative, and not too gamedisturbing.

Anouncement:
I'll start the game threads Monday. Anyone interested and with either a full character or a pretty good idea of what they want can contact me. Anyone interested but still having more questions can PM me as well. I'm guessing it'll take a while for the story to fully start up anyway as I'll do eruptions first. /b]

It might have been missed in the flow of posts, but had wanted to clarify, post character creation, it's basically completely freeform?

AribethAmkiir

Yes, Kol.  It's basically freeform after the character creation, as far as I understand.

avorae

Quote from: Katataban on October 18, 2012, 10:58:38 AM
Okay, the full character creation system is to be found at http://pictureplace.hostei.com/abberant.pdf

It's a bit of a read but it contains all the rules on building a character, including powers, stats and all other stuff you need. If you have any questions feel free, but until Monday I promise no prompt response, I will try to be as prompt as possible though.

The file appears to be damaged as i can't dowload it

yaracyrrah

Quote from: avorae on October 18, 2012, 09:07:20 PM
The file appears to be damaged as i can't download it

I get the same error.  When I tried to load the link directly in Firefox, it started but hung.  When I tried to download the pdf, it finished downloading but the resulting file was damaged and could not be opened.

On the other hand, I was able to locate my own copy of the rules.  Like our intrepid chief, I would be happy to help anyone who doesn't have them or doesn't want to deal with them.  Unlike our intrepid chief, I'm likely to be online for most of the weekend :) .  If you have a detailed concept that you'd like help statting, feel free to PM me.

Salvation

Yeah, I had trouble downloading that file as well, and sounds good.  I'm happy to fit in where I can, and all that.  I'll have to locate the rules as well, and I have some ideas already in my mind, but want to familiarize myself with how the rules work.  I will be in touch via PM over the weekend, and no worries if it isn't answered right away, of course.

I am generally pretty self-sufficient, so that should work for me.  Look forward to it.

AribethAmkiir

Totally could use help with the technical bits.  Hope you don't mind if I PM you as well Yarac. 

Tamhansen

Ok I made the xps version available meaning those with a Microsoft is should be able to use it at least. Looking where the error in the PDF stems now.

I am free for pm's from people who need help, as well as those finished and willing to start their eruption on Monday.

When you buy your powers in the phase 2 remember buying your powers with taint will make them cheaper, but taint does mean aberrations.maximum starting taint is 5. And taint can be gained in game. It's actually the one thing I'll be rolling for.
ons and offs

yaracyrrah

Quote from: Katataban on October 19, 2012, 04:19:03 AM
I am free for pm's from people who need help, as well as those finished and willing to start their eruption on Monday.

Sorry, Chief--I thought you'd said you might not have a lot of time over the weekend.  Didn't mean to step on your toes.

Also: there's a typo in the link to the .xps file.  http://pictureplace.hostei.com/aberrant.xps worked.  (I can't open it because I don't have the right software, but it exists.)

yaracyrrah

Apropos of nothing: I've been rereading the setting information, and the timeline in the rulebook notes that on June 15, 2005, "Pope Benedict XVI" issues a Papal bull regarding Novas.  The book was published in 1999.  In the real world, Pope Benedict XVI was elected (and chose his name) on April 19, 2005.

Spooooky.

AribethAmkiir

so, from what I can gather character creation isn't too different from Exalted.  Is that right?

stargirl

Yes,  Ari.  About the same system for Exalted. Both for creation as for play. This is what they call the Storyteller Role Playing System.

I know both.

Tamhansen

Actually the basics are quite the same. It's all made with the same mechanics system "the Storyteller system"

Like I said if you need any help just PM me and we can work through it together.

Allso there's a few people that have posted who are knowledgable about the system. They might be willing to help you as well, but basicallly I'm hre. Just a little slow atm
ons and offs

avorae

Ok I will get a character together after i get home from work but i'll try to put up my basic concept up before I leave.

As for her focus she is physically and mentally perfect. Sort of a cross between Monet St. Croix (M from Generation X) and Captain America. Though she will not actually develop any overt powers such as flight, energy expulsion or anything like that but enhanced senses and the ability to see auras are possible but for the most part she will just have a butt load of Mega attributes.

AribethAmkiir

Was following the PDF but it stopped downloading during Phase 2 of CC.  Can't get the xps. file to work, probably don't have the right program to read it.  I'm super familiar with Exalted so things were clicking right along.  Going to contemplate a character then I'll contact you for some of the details I'm missing, Katataban.

yaracyrrah

Quote from: avorae on October 19, 2012, 10:56:34 AM
As for her focus she is physically and mentally perfect. Sort of a cross between Monet St. Croix and

I was rather fond of Monet.  Sad that the writers treated her as a mere plot device rather than a character.

Anyway, your character will get along beautifully with mine, who is a super-athlete with a... mild competitive streak.  :) .

MaiMizzu

If I can get a grip on the system, I might be okay. I dunno. I've been looking for the character creation thing, and there seems to be a few of them. But like I said, i'm not familiar with the system or the origin source. I was focused on it being 'yeah it's kinda like mutants gettting powers'. Could someone maybe contact me on YIM or AIM and help me out? If I can, I'd like to play. I think I could do good.

YIM = ffxivghost@yahoo.com
AIM = Korin_Moon

Salvation

Thanks for the working link there, and yes, with the similarity to Exalted, cool.. I am familiar with that.  I will PM you by Monday with a character idea, etc.

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Tamhansen

Ok I will start the one on one threads tommorow for the characters that are finished, And will keep working with those whose characters are still forming. I expect the actual plot to start a week from now, but maybe sooner if a few one on one's are done quickly. Please bare with me thoughas the group is becoming reasonably big, so i might not do more than a couple tags per person per day, but I'll try to keep as active as possible

Okay when I set this up, I never expected more than a few responses, but boy was I wrong. :D

Okay going back over the thread and my PM list I found the following people either handing in characters/character ideas, or expressing a strong interest 9 in total so far, and I'd love it for all of you to join, and if a few people help out here and there we can make this work.

Fully developed Characters
The Villain
Yrrac Yrrah

Strong character ideas
Star girl
AribethAmkiir
Phoenyx

Interest
Salvation Avorae
Ironwolf85
Maimizzu

If you're name is missing from this list, my appologies, if you are still interested PM me, and I'll try to accomodate.
the ones on the list will receive a PM from me today about whether their interest remains, for those needing help with Character building feel free to PM me, or add me to YIM. just use my username, it's set up on YIM speciffically for E!

Any way thank you all for your interest and patience, I will do my utmost to make it worth it.

P.S. I'm currently on the fence about which category to put this. Either NonCon exotic, or Extreme. I want to give people as much freedom as possible but also don't want people to be too uncomfortable so I'm going for NonCon Exo unless people really want to go for extreme.
ons and offs

TheVillain

I probably won't take advantage of the NC Exo rating but I'm cool with it if everyone else is.

Tamhansen

basically, neither will I unless upon character request. But like I said I try to balance freedom with comfortability.
ons and offs

AribethAmkiir

I'm comfortable with NC Exotic.  It's nice to have those options if some crazy idea or story goes in that direction.  Happy to see it isn't going into the Extreme section though.

Tamhansen

Like I said, Personally I'm not much of a NonCon person, but this game is about angst and fear and alienation, and all kinds of other drama. I have noticed that some people can use rape as a great dramatic storytelling tool, for both the rapist and or the victim. The kinks which are most common in the extreme rooms, do not add drama in my eyes. the games I personally might put into the extreme rooms would be Vampire and werewolf, but not for the sex, but the extreme gory violence
ons and offs

yaracyrrah

I'm happy to join the consensus for NC-Exo.

MaiMizzu

I'll play in whatever one you guys want. I don't have a preference really. And I'm workin on my character now.

TheVillain

Sounds like we're going for 'no characters get raped [without the player's permission]'. I can work with that. :P

MaiMizzu

Quote from: TheVillain on October 21, 2012, 02:19:15 PM
Sounds like we're going for 'no characters get raped [without the player's permission]'. I can work with that. :P
Well yeah, that I could get behind. heh

stargirl

I agree with that too. I agree with anything, usually.

As for the "No Rape Unless the Player says it is Ok" line, I can say that it is Ok for my character, if it is good for the story.

But NonCon isn't just for Rape. Mega-Charisma is a kind of Non-Con, right? As is Mega-Manipulation.

TheVillain

I was including that but thank you for spelling that out.

Tamhansen

Actually we're going for the no nothing without the players permission. Including, but not limited to the following:  Sex, consensual or otherwise, killing off player characters (npc's DPC's and PNPC's excepted), drug usage or anything else the player could be severely disturbed. Respect each other. Once a player agrees everything goes, well within the limits of the non-con exotic boards.

I hope everyone is fine with that. I'll be writing an OoC post in a bit, including my ten commandments. All but three of these rules are debatable or negotiable, or can be excepted upon. Please read them through and any questions can be placed there or pmed if you prefer
ons and offs

Tamhansen

ons and offs

AribethAmkiir

what are DPCs and PNPCs?  Also, isn't it the site's rules that "no nothing without the player's permission" even if the game is in NC?

stargirl

Yeah, I think you are right, that is the site rule. Just good to make sure everybody remember that, isn't it?

I have no idea what is DPC. I think PNPC stands for Player Non-Player Character. That is an NPC that is actually run by a player but isn't his character. Maybe like when you are helping the Storyteller?

Tamhansen

Quote from: stargirl on October 22, 2012, 05:37:28 AM
Yeah, I think you are right, that is the site rule. Just good to make sure everybody remember that, isn't it?

I have no idea what is DPC. I think PNPC stands for Player Non-Player Character. That is an NPC that is actually run by a player but isn't his character. Maybe like when you are helping the Storyteller?

Yes, it is a site rule but I still wanted to make it clear once again. Non consensual means without the character's consent, not without the players.

*Slaps himself* All day at work I'm teaching people not to use Jargon, only to do it here myself.

PC = Player character. Fully under control of the player, created by them with or without supervision, but as their intelectual property (IP)
NPC = Non player Character, created by gaming staff to help the game along. Can be played by anyone, but is created by staff
PNPC = Player created Non player Character, technically an NPC but fully created by a player, performs tasks for the staff but is fully IP of the player
DPC = Directed Player Character, Bascally a player character in all respect, but fed information by the staff to help direct the story, DPC have less freedom to act in exchange fir inside knowledge, IP lays with the player
ons and offs

stargirl

So, you mean that a PNPC and a DPC that is under the control of a player can be done without asking by his own owner. So, if you create an NPC to act NC with then you can act NC with her (or him), right? That makes sense, but my explanation may be even more confusing than yours. :)

Tamhansen

First off, sorry if all my rules make people cringe. I tend to be fairly fast and loose, but this is going to be a pretty big group, so I want everyone to be clear and on the same page. Like I said every rule except the three red ones are open for discussion, but we need to be sure we're all on the same page as far as respecting each other and our intelectual property. [ /pedantic rant]

I'm quite certain everyone here has respect for each other as role players, so i guess that'll be ok.

I would like to request to ask any questions about rules, background info and such in the OOC threead, and leave this one for recruitment purposes. that way people will not have to follow all the threads in fear of missing something. I've put the answer to Stargirls question there.
ons and offs

Salvation

I can work with that.  Generally, all things are about player consent as I see it anyway, and respecting that.  I'll be getting my character idea/template to you tonight hopefully in a PM.

AllieCat

If there's room at some point, I want in! I loved the books (poor Slider :() and always wanted to play!

Ironwolf85

cool as it is, I'm going to have to withdraw
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Tamhansen

Quote from: AllieCat on October 22, 2012, 03:25:06 PM
If there's room at some point, I want in! I loved the books (poor Slider :() and always wanted to play!

Well Allie, if you can make a char on your own send it to me on a PM, I'm sure we can accomodate you. If not PM me with an idea and we'll work from that. And yes poor jennifer. Well goes to show, no such thing as 'the good guys'
ons and offs

phoenyx

♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O

AllieCat

You'll have a character soon, I promise :)

Salvation

This does look pretty awesome, though, unfortunately, I'll have to withdraw at the moment. Good luck, and thanks again!