Main Menu

FIFA World Cup

Started by Nico, June 07, 2010, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phobetor

Quote from: Nicholas on June 13, 2010, 03:23:36 PM
Holy shit!! 4:0 GO GERMANY!!!
So...I watched this game with my friend and he said:
"Germany is so technical about their playing. Watching them is like having Multiple Soccer Orgasms." ;)

I laughed...so hard. Because it's so true. Germany did a damn good job.
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Nico

We did a damn good job, indeed!
This was the best game so far. Good from the beginning until the end.

Remiel

That red card against Cahill was bullshit, though.  Even the announcers said that it should've been a yellow at best.  Being down 2-0, losing a man to a bogus red card...things just didn't go Australia's way.

Nico

Yes, I agree. The red card was, indeed, a bit too harsh. ~nodnod~ Yellow would have been enough of a warning.

TheWriter

I will say Lahm had a good game.  Schweinsteiger not so good, but Lahm was brilliant.

Ridcully

Schweinsteiger has to play very defensive, because Khedira - the other defensive midfielder - actually plays very offensive; he was involved in a lot of attacks. Schweinsteiger gets a lot of balls in his half still, and secures Özil and Khedira when they go deep into offense. I think he's very valuable in this position.

Lahm was really good, though Australia made it pretty easy for him on the sides.

In any case, I'm still very happy with the match. However, Serbia will be much stronger, and they have their back against the wall already. This will be an "ugly" match on Friday, especially if Germany marks the first goal - then Serbia will lose all controls. Mark my words.

Speaking of brillance - Netherlands today! Robben won't play. But Van der Vaart, van Persie, Sneidjer...I expect a lot.

Stan'

The horns are getting really, really annoying.

Do South Africans want to be known as hosting the most annoying world cup?  Because that's the way they're going.

Ridcully

I agree. It's their culture, and you got to understand, but...

It's soccer. It's a World Cup. And you can't hear the English fans singing. You don't hear the Germans cheering for their team. You don't hear the Italians supporting their team. It's even hard to hear the "A" and "O"s of the crowd for chances.

It's so damn annoying. It might be South Africa's soccer culture, but it really destroys a great element of the matches too.

Scribbles

Don't fall for the "It's our culture" bit please. Those horns have a history as long as my frown. South Africans, before the vuvuzelas, used to sing and dance like nobody else. They still do but now... it's a lot less noticeable thanks to that constant drone. I've practically gone deaf after being surrounded by them.

Still my favourite:
South African BAFANA BAFANA Song
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Phobetor

You know...I gotta say...I'm a bit disappointed in Italy.  :-\
Taking a break from E.

Nico

Uh, yeah. I expected a lot more from Italy, to be honest.

Ridcully

Italy is Italy. I even bat on Paraguy. Too bad they also don't have a good goalkeeper.

When it comes to the level of the matches, it's a very disappointing World Cup so far. Most games are at a very low level, with the teams neutralising theirselves in the midfield. Japan - Cameroon was unbearable to watch.

Scribbles

During the Italian game, when the Paraguayan achieved the free kick that helped them score. Did anyone see why that free kick was given? To me, it almost looked like nothing really happened...
AA and OO

Ridcully

To 55 million italians it looked like that too :D

Aleph

@Ridcully: Loved the LOLGermanManagers...LolLoews? "Fuck off summer, I'll wear my scarf if I want to" <-- Comedy gold.

I was on a very small hiatus until yesterday and missed the Aus-Ger game. Did we seriously leave Bresciano, Kewell and Kennedy on the bench? I know we (being an Aussie) were expecting to lose but isn't it a little late to field a b-side to rest players for the next match? Really not impressed with that. I find myself unable to defend Verbeek any more. That and putting a midfielder (Cahill) in as lone striker for a 4-5-1. Why didn't we just not show up at all and fortfeit 3-0 or something? It would have saved us a red card.

That said, hats off to the Kiwis for drawing 1-1 with Slovenia. Kind of grimly amused to think of how Verbeek picked two A-League players for the Aussie team, we lose 4-0 to Germany, the All Whites are (I think) majority from the Pheonix (the A-League team from Wellington, FYI) and they're well ahead of us :)

Fave game so far, Netherlands-Denmark. Though I've not seen enough many. :)

Anyway, I've not seen them play yet, but my pick is Spain for the trophy.

-A

Scribbles

Quote from: Ridcully on June 15, 2010, 06:41:12 AM
To 55 million italians it looked like that too :D

Lol, I'm sure.  :P
AA and OO

Phobetor

Holie Molie...The Portugal vs Cote d'Ivore match was FANTASTIC!!!! Granted, I expected more from Portugal (especially from Ronaldo) but Cote d'Ivore held their own and man they surprised me!

I'm hoping the Brazil game will  be great from start to finish like this one! But they better score. >_< I'm getting kind of tired of the draws lol
Taking a break from E.

Remiel

How much LOLZ would it be if North Korea ends up beating Brazil?  Although the odds must be five bazillion to one against.

Ridcully

I thought it was pretty bad, knowing that both teams usually play on a much higher level. There were hardly any goal possibilities, and a lot of technical difficulties in ballhandling, which is a surprise in its own for these two teams.

Without Drogba, Cote d'Ivoire is missing the soul. The whole team changed in behaviour and spirit after he got in. And Portugal? That's not the Luis Figo Portugal anymore. It's all about Christiano Ronaldo now, which is fine by a player of his class.

Brazil - North Korea is a match that will be like Germany - Australia. 4-0 or higher for Brazil. Okay, I have no clue about North Korean soccer. But, it's Brazil, with Kaka, Robinho, Lucio, Maicon. Some people say the Koreans might surprise everybody against Brazil. I'm sure they'll build up a human pyramid about their post and defending it like stormtroopers with direct orders by the Emperor. But if they are the Empire, Kaka is Luke Skywalker, Lucio Chewbacca (his gaze is very similar often) and Robinho Yoda, and we all know how that ended.

*Spoiler*
The Rebels won. Sorry, James-Earl-Jones-Fans.

Stan'

Quote from: Scribbles on June 15, 2010, 04:21:55 AM
During the Italian game, when the Paraguayan achieved the free kick that helped them score. Did anyone see why that free kick was given? To me, it almost looked like nothing really happened...

Yeah, well too bad.  Italians have been getting free-kicks for nothing for years.  About time the reverse came about.

Like that time a few years ago they dived (surprise, surprise) to get a last minute free-kick that resulted in a goal against Scotland, and stopping us from qualifying.

Remiel

Yeah, the Italians are almost as bad as Cristiano Ronaldo in that regard.

Phobetor

I am REALLY proud of Korea! They held their own!!

A bit disappointed at Brazil, I thought they would have done a little bit better but they still pleased me. Watching them just amazes me. =)

Dude...does anyone know what happened with Ronaldinho?? Why didn't he make the cut?
Taking a break from E.

Scribbles

QuoteI am REALLY proud of Korea! They held their own!!

They did! I was actually even supporting them once I saw they had a chance. It's too bad but if they hadn't conceded that first goal, I think they would've made it to that draw.

On another note, Dunga was looking as fashionable as ever.  :-)
AA and OO

Stan'

Although the second half was very one-sided, they really did themselves proud in the first.  They deserved the goal in the end, and I think 2-1 was a reasonable score-line.  Before the game, I had predicted 2-0, because I doubted Brazil would go all out and risk any injuries to such a weaker team.  However, there's a reason that Ronaldinho was sold by Barcelona for such a cheap price, and that's because he is nowhere near as good as he used to be.  Fair enough, he's improved since going to AC Milan, but I doubt he would see much action in this world cup if he were in the squad.

consortium11

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 15, 2010, 03:35:01 PM
I am REALLY proud of Korea! They held their own!!

A bit disappointed at Brazil, I thought they would have done a little bit better but they still pleased me. Watching them just amazes me. =)

Dude...does anyone know what happened with Ronaldinho?? Why didn't he make the cut?

Still hasn't really got his form back, still has a few issues with fitness, hasn't lit the word alight in Milan (despite being better than he was during the end of his run at Barcelona), doesn't play in a style that works with Dunga... quite lazy as a player (tracking back etc) and Brazil have enough quality that he can't find his way in regardless. I mean, Eto would struggle to get into this Brazilian team... but he of course walks into the Cameron set up (even if on the wing for some strange reason)