The Purge (movie 2013) Am I missing something?

Started by Inkidu, May 26, 2013, 05:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 26, 2013, 08:14:52 PM
And that's why that movie is stupid.  Because no one thought that far ahead.

Really say you were a organized crime group when would YOU launch attacks on territory when NO ONE would interfere from the government or when they would. Also all drug deals, fencing and acts of civil terrorism would be all legal. They could bring in a huge shipment in one evening and not have any issues.

Add in sadists, rapists, pedophiles, sickos of all sorts and rich and poor exploiting the laws.

If your poor get into a bank or rich persons home its all good - right?

Inkidu

Quote from: RubySlippers on May 27, 2013, 11:06:25 PM
Really say you were a organized crime group when would YOU launch attacks on territory when NO ONE would interfere from the government or when they would. Also all drug deals, fencing and acts of civil terrorism would be all legal. They could bring in a huge shipment in one evening and not have any issues.

Add in sadists, rapists, pedophiles, sickos of all sorts and rich and poor exploiting the laws.

If your poor get into a bank or rich persons home its all good - right?
Drugs ain't going to happen that way. That's one day to make a year's worth of money. No one's going to do that. They already thumb their nose at the law, why change?

The gangs might wipe each other out, but really that's about it.

The acts of terrorism thing shows just how freaking broken this premise is. I know what I would do:

Kill me some dumb-ass politicians. >:3
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Neysha

According to the website, a lot of government personnel are considered off limits during the Purge.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Inkidu

Quote from: Neysha on May 28, 2013, 07:10:06 AM
According to the website, a lot of government personnel are considered off limits during the Purge.
Two words and one of them is that. -__-

So what if crime is legal? I think a little illegal crime would be more... traditional.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Yeah, if I knew there was one day when all the rapists in town were going to be out prowling the streets because they can, I'd be locking myself in a windowless room with a microwave, some TV dinners, a couple gallons of water, and a good selection of DVDs to last me at least three days.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RubySlippers

Quote from: Inkidu on May 28, 2013, 04:30:10 AM
Drugs ain't going to happen that way. That's one day to make a year's worth of money. No one's going to do that. They already thumb their nose at the law, why change?

The gangs might wipe each other out, but really that's about it.

The acts of terrorism thing shows just how freaking broken this premise is. I know what I would do:

Kill me some dumb-ass politicians. >:3

No but they could import and stash a years worth of drugs with a surplus without any government interference they could openly bring in hundreds of smaller ships packed up and move the cargo in twelve hours if they planned it out, and it would be safer for the workers and their families who would have ample guns around protecting them. Why risk the cargo being intercepted.

It saves money this way outside the twelve hours the government can go after the drugs.

I must add who says there is a drug problem maybe such drugs are legal? Like Soma in Brave New World.

Funguy81

Suspension of belief aside about how the "Purge" is initiated by the government to allow all crime to be done for those 12 hours, there is one thing I find funny about the family in the house when I watched the trailer.

The father spends money to fortify his house like a fortress for that one night a year. You would think that he would put in a little extra to install a child lock on that system to insure his obviously naive son from opening the door to a complete stranger on the one night a year you shouldn't be even be looking at one.

RubySlippers

Or do what I would do if I had money take my family to a foreign nation for the day, one not involved in The Purge. Or get on a nice cruise with a foreign registered cruise line.

Funguy81

Actually that would be a hell of an idea right there as well. Take a nice...week long.. vacation.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on May 27, 2013, 04:34:20 PM
I didn't see that trailer I guess. :\
I typically don't watch them online, and I haven't seen a long tailer on T.V.

Here you go: The Purge Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey Thriller HD

Skip to about 1:10 to be introduced to the family's guest for the evening.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

RedPhoenix

Having watched the preview, no. I don't think you're missing anything.

My only thought is how lame I would be about this.

Oh man, Purge is coming I'm going to download so much music!!!!! And maybe go to a bar and smoke a cigarette!! Crazy!!!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Shjade

I have to admit I'm conflicted when I consider my likely response to such a thing.

On the one hand, I'm a nice guy. I typically go out of my way to follow laws that don't matter just because they're there, they exist. I like to help people when I know I can do something about their problem. The idea of purposely doing something to upset, much less hurt, someone else bothers me.

On the other hand, there's my history of past behavior.

So I dunno. I could end up going the pedestrian hide-in-a-hole-until-it's-all-over route, or I could end up completely fucking over someone's night. I honestly can't say which is more likely. Which bothers me, too. :|
◕/◕'s

Neysha

Well if they go on vacation, people might steal or destroy all their stuff while they're away.
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Inkidu

Quote from: Neysha on June 01, 2013, 06:45:35 AM
Well if they go on vacation, people might steal or destroy all their stuff while they're away.
Well the home seems uber-locked. So if you think he spends a lot of money on the house and just goes into international waters for a year he and his family are good. It's only slightly less contrived than junior unlocking the house from the inside. Seriously, if such a thing existed you think parents would tell their kids not to do it, or at least, like someone else said, child proof it.

Neysha

Kids do stuff their parents try to prevent them from doing sometimes. *shrug*
My Request Thread

RedPhoenix

True, but if you're gonna put a password on something you'd think it'd be the only thing keeping you safe from the angry mob.

Also, I find myself having a hard time sympathizing with the protagonists here. The whole time I'd be thinking what about the folks who can't afford a million dollar security system? We're supposed to feel sorry for these rich people?!?!
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Shjade

The problem with locking your kids out of a system like that: unexpected disasters.

Say a fire of some kind bursts up in the house and the kids can get to the exit but the parents are either incapacitated or just can't reach the controls, cut off by the flames. Kids are screwed 'cause they can't get out.
◕/◕'s

Oniya

And that's where the child education angle comes in.  If the Purge has been happening for years, I'm sure that there's plenty of fodder for 'cautionary tales' - like, don't wander off into the woods or you'll find a witch's house and she'll catch you to eat you for dinner.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on June 01, 2013, 03:44:02 PM
The problem with locking your kids out of a system like that: unexpected disasters.

Say a fire of some kind bursts up in the house and the kids can get to the exit but the parents are either incapacitated or just can't reach the controls, cut off by the flames. Kids are screwed 'cause they can't get out.
There are certain rock-and-hard-place elements to your statements that needs to be examined. :\

Funguy81

I'm sure there would be safe guards that computers can determine for such dire situations. We have security systems now that if it detects a fire, or some similar situation it would unlock all doors and exits to get the people out as soon as possible.

At the same time, there is that rock and hard place inkidu mentions. either get burned by the fire that is about to take your house...or get killed by the possible, murderous mob that comes rolling along in that night.

Oniya

Quote from: Funguy81 on June 02, 2013, 07:09:53 AM
I'm sure there would be safe guards that computers can determine for such dire situations. We have security systems now that if it detects a fire, or some similar situation it would unlock all doors and exits to get the people out as soon as possible.

^This.  I remember hearing about prisoners starting mattress fires so that the smoke detectors would unlock cell doors.  Pretty sure there's a failsafe for that now, but the tech exists.

SpiralSpider

I don't think it would work, but I think the scary concept is a culture that would even give it a try...
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Wolfy

All I know is that I hope that Closet Psycopath thing happens.

I hope they make a Sequel where "The Purge" has made everyone into Phsycotics...the government has fallen, and the entire nation as fallen into Anarchy and Chaos because of the practice.

.....Of course, the creators wouldn't be that smart, so all I have is my imagination.

Oniya

Apparently, the trailer is showing a lot on YouTube.  I had to explain the movie concept to the little Oni.  The plot-holes that people have mentioned already were invaluable.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on June 03, 2013, 11:43:46 PM
Apparently, the trailer is showing a lot on YouTube.  I had to explain the movie concept to the little Oni.  The plot-holes that people have mentioned already were invaluable.
I'm getting a and-that-why-you-don't-do-drugs-because-you-write-Swiss-cheese vibe from this statement. ;D