Cut off from the world (Survival, Apocalypse, Horror, Freeform, Erotic)

Started by Dashenka, August 06, 2014, 03:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashenka

Cut off

It was a normal late september in Glenwood Springs, Colorado population 10.000. People had gone off to work, to school, visiting parks and generally going about their own business when it suddenly struck. Nobody knew at first what had happened, only the people directly affected. The power went out and the river stopped flowing. Downtown this was the most obvious that had happened. Along the mountains surrounding the town, hikers noticed some strange things and called it an 'invisible wall' cutting through the landscape. On the I-70 that runs along the river, vehicles crashed into this invisible wall and it didn't take long before the reality of the situation began to sink in. Glenwood Springs was cut off from the world by an invisible dome.

This game is based on (but not identical) to the the TV show 'Under the Dome' by Stephen King. I haven't seen all episodes, so no spoilers please. In short: The town is literally cut off from the world by a dome. Power lines are cut, water mains are cut through as are sewers. The Colorado river has stopped flowing inside the dome. No more rain will come in, no more supplies. The town folk are on their own. Can they fight the growing hysteria, paranoia and in the mean time still live as normal as possible?

The game will be mostly freeform, meaning you play your character and you will decide what he or she is going to do. As the GM I will throw in a few events regularly but other than that, you decide. When we get to the character creation, I want you to have thought of a rough idea on what your character wants to achieve and do. Ideally, some characters are good, some are evil. Sex is not the main chunk but obviously, if you play part of a couple, feel free to share your sex life with the other players.

Another thing I ask from players is to be flexible. If you are in a scene you looked forward to play out and I throw in an event that affects everybody, stop your own scene and interact with the event. I might also give out individual events to specific players. If you are hesitant if you can do all the above, but are interested in playing anyway, please send me a message and we'll see if we can work something out.

I want the game to move. That means I could ask you to wrap up your current scene and move to a given point in time. I'm not the quickest poster myself so I will not demand a certain number of posts a week but two should be doable for all of us. If you go on holiday or need a break for whatever reason, please let us know.
In the character sheet I will probably ask you if you are okay with your character dying. If you say no, it won't happen, if you say yes, there is no certainty of death, I just know that should it help the story progress, it's an option.

So I think I've covered most of the basics. Just to help you out, a small list of people you could play:

Police
Teacher
Nurse
Shop clerk
City worker
Student
Hiking instructor
Hotel owner

Anything really. As long as you have a plan. Ideally we have a nice mix of people who want to help out and people who want to grab power or inflict fear and terror or something.
So again, (and this is important) you need to have an idea on what you want to achieve with your character. You need a goal.
For now, this is just an interest check. With enough people interested I'll move it into the next phase. Please ask questions if things aren't clear or drop your interest below :)

OOC Link with In Game link here
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

ElvenKitten

Interested  ;D Not sure what sort of character yet, maybe a teacher.

eiselmann

Interested  I'd gravitate towards either a student or a tourist (with a past)
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

MagicalPen

Glenwood Springs is down the road from me, so color me interest  ::)

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Dashenka

Looks like a nice place and good to have some local knowledge :D

I'd like to point out that the list of 'jobs' are purely for help. You don't have to pick any of those.

Strangefate

A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Prince Truhan

Nymphadora

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Red Stella

Dashenka

Alright I got some people interested now :D This is good.

As I have explained, or at least tried to, the game will be led by a GM. I will throw in the occasional/regular event the characters have to respond to. In between, you should have a plan for your character. I cannot stress this too much. A lot of group games die out because players wait around for other players to interact. Now obviously, if every character has a hidden agenda (one more extreme than the other I imagine) you will probably have to split your time in both interacting witht he other players, perhaps trying to get them on board for your plan, as well as getting your own things done AND interacting with the game.

I know I'm asking a lot and I will try to keep the game as tight and neat as I can and if you see or feel another player is not reacting to you the way you expected it, post it in the OOC or send me a PM.

Another thing. I said it's based on Under the Dome but not the same. Don't expect to replay the tv show or the book. This will be my idea, not Stephen King's.

Obviously, being Russian, I'm not a dictator ( O:)) and I'm open to suggestions from everybody.

That's it for now. Expect character template to be up soon.

GnothiSeauton

Tentatively interested here.

Loved the book (hated the show), and have kinda always kept an eye out for something similar to it.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Dashenka

Okay for those of you interested.

For my own sake, could you tell me what you are expecting of the game? Just so nobody will get disappointed :)

Also, would you prefer a smaller town?

Start thinking about your characters, should have template up soon.

GnothiSeauton

Well, since no one as put in their few thoughts, I'm not sure if there's still interest or not, but...

I kind of saw it, from what you described, a sort of power struggle.  People doing things that they wouldn't necessarily do, for control and power.

There seems to be plenty of room for conflict.  With food and gas running low, there could be potential for riots and fights.  Perhaps even the air is slowly running out as well?  Nothing noticeable at first, but slowly and steadily becoming harder and harder to breathe.  Maybe it's getting warmer inside, with so many bodies, and not a whole lot of fresh air, especially if people are still driving their gas-powered cars around.  Could be that inside the dome it slowly begins to form it's own atmosphere, with clouds and rain, etc.  Dirt and grime both inside and outside could make it steadily harder to see outside, making them feel even more cut off.

Just my thoughts.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

azzmeister89

Prince Truhan

As far as my character I think that his goal would be his own survival and satisfaction no matter what is going on around

eiselmann

If I go with the student I think he'll be a mix of working earnestly for the standard authority figures like the police or a teacher to maintain control/normality , while spending time by himself or with like minded people  trying to figure out what is going on

If I go foreign tourist with a past he'll pick a side fairly quickly based on a leading local and make himself invaluable to that person and therefore that group, that will be fairly quickly done as part of his personal survival....he may from there either make a power play for himself or for the person he's aligned to.....or work on getting out of this American dream hellhole.

As for GnothiSeauton's ideas I like them a lot I think they all have merit however I'd like to see solutions for these issues either by someone figuring out the answer logically or stumbling across the solution, like a part of the domes internal control board (Find this buried object - press ominous shining light prestno fresh air....press again stale air....make this work to my characters advantage or their downfall if I overplay my hand)
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Nymphadora

I would like to have a small farm near the outskirts, just inside the dome. Possibly not the main source of food but enough to have to defend it and/or be a source of food to some.

Another idea for myself would be the owner of the main local pub or the family restaurant on main street. I can't see there being more than one of these. I think that having one big farm mostly withing the dome and maybe a couple of small organic farms is a good way to drum up conflict.

I would like to see elements of the book and the show but for the most part have it be original, which is would be with our own players and our own characters.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Rel Mayer

I'm interested in possibly being a hotel owner or some sort of retail shop owner. Maybe even a librarian depending on what people are gravitating toward with their characters.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Nymphadora on August 17, 2014, 11:00:34 AM
I would like to see elements of the book and the show but for the most part have it be original, which is would be with our own players and our own characters.

Yeah, most of the ideas I mentioned were driven in part from the book and the science behind it all.

~~~~~

I had an idea for either an undercover cop passing through, a cop transporting a prisoner, or a prisoner escapee from a car crash while en route to being transferred.

Seeking New Stories

Prince Truhan

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on August 17, 2014, 07:06:45 PM
Yeah, most of the ideas I mentioned were driven in part from the book and the science behind it all.

~~~~~

I had an idea for either an undercover cop passing through, a cop transporting a prisoner, or a prisoner escapee from a car crash while en route to being transferred.

If you go for the cop and feel like working with me on it, I could easily make my character concept that of the prisoner you were transporting.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Prince Truhan on August 17, 2014, 07:17:33 PM
If you go for the cop and feel like working with me on it, I could easily make my character concept that of the prisoner you were transporting.

Now that would be interesting.  I may just do that.

Seeking New Stories

azzmeister89

For my character i was thinking of using a mechanic. Possibly trying to find a way of escaping whilst building none electricals to make things easier for people to live. Failing that i was going to go with a pub owner who is lucky enough to know how to brew his own alcohol.

Dashenka

Thanks guys for the ideas. I really like them. Since the town is around 10k people, it would be best for the game at least if all our characters were somehow related, first or second degree. You could know somebody that knows somebody else. Also rather imperative that the characters don't start out alone, or when they do, get to somebody else pretty quick.

The power struggle will be part of the game. It has to be right? :) Somebody needs to uphold the law. Or their law. With food supplies running low, I can really see that as part of the game as well. As for what happens outside of the dome, I'd like to keep that a secret for now :) But everybody who knows and likes Stephen King would appreciate it I guess.

What I don't want is a character being alone and waiting for somebody to pick him/her up. I really can't stress this out enough as it's the number 1 group game killer here on E. If you want to play somebody's relative, contact him/her first :)

I'm still in Bali on holiday and my laptop is broken so I cannot give you character sheets yet. Next week orso I should be home and will get this game started or when I can find a cheap laptop here on the island.

TheHangedOne

I'd be interested in playing as a sort of Grisly Adams mountain-man sort of dude. A bit of a hermit, but given the situation happening, I could see him wanting to step in and getting involved.

Nymphadora, an idea: if you have a character with some farm land, maybe my woodsman-y guy could have a cordial relationship? Maybe my guy trades game meat and the like for vegetables?  Something to that effect.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Nymphadora

Quote from: TheHangedMan on August 19, 2014, 05:41:56 PM
I'd be interested in playing as a sort of Grisly Adams mountain-man sort of dude. A bit of a hermit, but given the situation happening, I could see him wanting to step in and getting involved.

Nymphadora, an idea: if you have a character with some farm land, maybe my woodsman-y guy could have a cordial relationship? Maybe my guy trades game meat and the like for vegetables?  Something to that effect.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm still torn about what I'll play, may see what the consensus is and decide then but my first choice was Farm of sorts so I will likely go there.

Could be he comes in to see if she's OK and such, if anyone has been giving her trouble for her veg and whatnot.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review