Dark Souls II - share your experiences, stories and builds!

Started by Hemingway, March 26, 2014, 12:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Well, Chameleon spell is epic, never realize till now.

I manage a no death run with it, simply by turning into an object and ambushing would be invaders as there seems to be a lot of them in the NG+ modes. Best spell I ever invested for attuning and the only one I have attuned xD

Its a Vase, its a cage, its a torch. NO IT IS AN ENCHANTED GREATSWORD TO THE BACK.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Heaven Sent Blossom

Chameleon is such a great spell.
I like to use it just to go and get a sandwich or something when somebody invades and I don't feel like dealing with them. It gives you insight into just how desperate to get their murder on most invaders are because they stick around for a while.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on May 17, 2014, 08:07:04 PM
Remind me, how much damage can you take in most Mario games?

Only 1-2 hits?

Man, that difficulty is so fake.

-- No. High damage enemies are not inherently fake difficulty. High damage enemies whose attacks you can't avoid would be fake difficulty. If you can avoid the attacks the amount of damage they put out isn't really relevant, since you're only going to take that damage if you're not good enough to avoid it.

The damage isn't the difficulty. The attacks themselves are. Stop getting hit so much; tada, you now take much less damage.

And if that were so easy, you'd be doing it, wouldn't you?

It seems like you're just repeating how cheap and not-challenging this game is when you're stating how you can't manage to execute some core tactics of the game's combat. You're getting destroyed and then blaming the game for getting destroyed as if you're not responsible for that outcome. That you can't seem to deal with the mechanics doesn't mean they're cheap or broken or fake or any such thing considering how many people run circles around these things with no problem. It means you're getting wrecked. It happens. It's not a reason to bash the game.
Your zen-like state is impressive. A game that's basically designed every facet of itself to piss people off, and I'm bashing it... because I'm pissed. The thread said share your stories. They're not all good. :P

Though to be fair, Mario has some pretty short iteration times. ;D

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Drake Valentine

Yep, also it is amusing when you see an invader in middle of group of enemies and use a Tree Seed. ^____^ Did that a few times when they were out of reach while I was Chameleon-ing it.

I been farming them for awhile, think I still got twenty or so remaining.

No one ever expects the decorations. Also I heard that if you Chameleon in rat Covenant you turn into one of those plague rats, I have not tried this yet, since I was aiming for no death run at time.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Inkidu

Quote from: Drake Valentine on May 17, 2014, 08:43:55 PM
Yep, also it is amusing when you see an invader in middle of group of enemies and use a Tree Seed. ^____^ Did that a few times when they were out of reach while I was Chameleon-ing it.

No one ever expects the decorations. Also I heard that if you Chameleon in rat Covenant you turn into one of those plague rats, I have not tried this yet, since I was aiming for no death run at time.
What if someone just starts swinging around a sword  for giggles and your away getting a sandwich?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Inkidu on May 17, 2014, 08:45:52 PM
What if someone just starts swinging around a sword  for giggles and your away getting a sandwich?

I always warp back to Majula AFK or turn the game off, since resting at bonfires isn't 100% safe guarantee. Pretty sure you might can still be invaded sitting at a bonfire, Majula is the only 'safe' zone online. Assuming pigs don't have a sudden thirst for blood and decide to go kill you at the bonfire. *Shrug*

Plus, you can still shield guard while around the console and as Chameleon. So if you are a metal object, just block. xD

Inkidu

Quote from: Drake Valentine on May 17, 2014, 08:50:07 PM
I always warp back to Majula AFK or turn the game off, since resting at bonfires isn't 100% safe guarantee. Pretty sure you might can still be invaded sitting at a bonfire, Majula is the only 'safe' zone online. Assuming pigs don't have a sudden thirst for blood and decide to go kill you at the bonfire. *Shrug*

Plus, you can still shield guard while around the console and as Chameleon. So if you are a metal object, just block. xD
It just struck me that someone decided to use their free time to practice their timing you might be getting a sammich.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Drake Valentine on May 17, 2014, 08:43:55 PM

I believe there are three things in every area Chameleon can transform you into. As a rule two are worthless and one is genius that nobody ever suspects.
In the Luna Belfry for example turning into the torch is the best way to go unnoticed as everything else sticks out a little bit. Of course Chameleon only works if people don't know their surroundings, which is surprisingly a thing most people still don't have down pat so it's not the biggest drawback I guess.
Hell in DS1 you can still Chameleon on people and trick them despite everybody having had ample time to learn the area layouts by now.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on May 18, 2014, 05:59:52 AM
I believe there are three things in every area Chameleon can transform you into. As a rule two are worthless and one is genius that nobody ever suspects.
In the Luna Belfry for example turning into the torch is the best way to go unnoticed as everything else sticks out a little bit. Of course Chameleon only works if people don't know their surroundings, which is surprisingly a thing most people still don't have down pat so it's not the biggest drawback I guess.
Hell in DS1 you can still Chameleon on people and trick them despite everybody having had ample time to learn the area layouts by now.

Same, I looked online, Rat Covenant is hilarious. You either become the small Rat Statue in that one room, a Rat Statue with an urn(acid ones) or a small torch. >.> Most of which will blend in with the area.

Inkidu

Add another victory for Freja. :(

I'm getting really tired of that spider. I'm doing all I can, and her minions will kill me or fuck up my targeting. When is this game supposed to be fun again?

Heaven Sent Blossom

Are you taking advantage of summons?
Freja is made a hair easier with even the NPC summon because at least it can pull aggro on the adds while you punch the giant spider in its stupid faces.

[edit]If you're married to beating it solo here are a couple of suggestions I can make without knowing what your build is:

- Keep circling to its left when you aren't engaging. It gives you a heads up on keeping ahead of the beam if you stray too far away and makes the spiders bunch up more to follow you.

- Be patient. Freja has a lot of attacks that leaves it open, however the window isn't large so content yourself with getting what you can get. Don't worry about getting your shit in, just move into position take a swipe and then roll out of town.
Chip away at the life bar.

- Make sure your Estus is as upgraded as possible for your progress. Life gems aren't the way to heal in combat because they take longer to use than your Estus and also take longer to regen your life (I think).

- If you have either fire infused weapons or a fire resin then get that shit on pronto. The spiders take increased damage from fire (not sure if Freja itself does) so when you end up getting some collateral damage on them you can make it count.

- Depending on the amount of damage Freja is doing with its attacks consider dropping armour so you can increase roll distance and general movement speed.

- Freja isn't a fun boss generally but try not to get frustrated. Fighting angry isn't fighting smart, and this game fucking thrives on getting you fight to angry and sloppy.

- Consider dropping the lock on. With a bunch of adds you can get turned around so if it's possible for you to attack without the lock then do it.

That's the only general hints I can think of. If you furnish me with how your character is built and geared I can maybe give more specific help if you want it.

Inkidu

I still don't get equipment load. The way it's phrased lower should be better, but each point I put into it seemed to make it grow higher. 

I started at 59% and now I'm at 64%. I makes no sense. :P

Heaven Sent Blossom

[edit]Fuck it, that was over complicated to fuck.
Quick and dirty version:

The number you raise with points is your equip load, that's a flat number that only changes with points in VIT. Higher is better on this number if you plan on wearing armour, carrying big boy weapons, whatever.
The percentage you're talking about is your encumbrance, that increases with items you have equipped (everything but belt items add weight). Lower on that number is better however anything below 70% is tenable.

Inkidu

No that was very informative. I think I might just have to restart my whole game though. I think I fudged up my stats really badly. I guess I could respec but other than having the item to do that I don't know where you do it. Maybe I'll see if the knight armor is lighter than what I'm currently wearing.

Shjade

You respec by talking to one of the women in red at the hut at the start of the game with a soul vessel.

Becoming increasingly tempted to get this on pc just to stream "how to kill X" clips of gameplay and link them here.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on May 18, 2014, 01:35:21 PM
You respec by talking to one of the women in red at the hut at the start of the game with a soul vessel.

Becoming increasingly tempted to get this on pc just to stream "how to kill X" clips of gameplay and link them here.
I wouldn't be able to utilize them anyway. :P

Internet allowances suck for streaming video. :|

I'm having to download Dawn of War 2 five-hundred megs a day just so it doesn't tank a ton of my monthly allowance. :P

EDIT: Anyway, I guess I'll take down some notes so I can make sure I can still use my equipment and go respec.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2014, 01:27:19 PM
No that was very informative. I think I might just have to restart my whole game though. I think I fudged up my stats really badly. I guess I could respec but other than having the item to do that I don't know where you do it. Maybe I'll see if the knight armor is lighter than what I'm currently wearing.

Old women at Things Betwixt. One of the two sat at the table will provide you with the chance to respec, I think you might need to exhaust her dialogue options before the menu will come up though.

Respeccing is perfectly fine instead of restarting but a fresh start can allow you to approach the game in a more structured, focused way. It will also let you gauge how far you've come skill wise better than just beating your head against a boss might do.

Some stats I'd recommend for you to consider whatever you do:

STR is your lord and saviour and you should prioritise this above all things. ADP is incredibly important and needs to find its way to 38 (this is basically the break point for it I believe). I always recommend VIG because it means you can take more hits, 50 is a good number to aim for.
For tanking I'm really not sure though to be honest. VIT and END will be important but I gave up on poise tanking ages ago and just went MAN MODE on everything.

If you restart I recommend getting to 15 STR and 11 DEX as a priority. After that it's 10 of VIG + END, then ADP to 15, VIG to 20, ADP to 24, END to 20. From there you split stats between STR, VIG and ADP in the order of your choice. DEX has no value to you unless there is a weapon that catches your eye with a higher DEX minimum then you have, in which case park it in your inventory and spend a few levels working to it.
Now this is based on starting as a Deprived, other starting classes might have an easier or harder time getting to where I would suggest you want to go. And since I don't know much about poise beyond that I don't believe in it in this game I can't recommend how you  build your VIT. Maybe drop some points of VIG and spread VIT in with leveling it up?

Inkidu

I just don't care anymore! I'm tired of that fucking spider. Repeced, (really kind of pointless there were one or two points that could have gone somewhere else, but other than that it was pointless), changed my armor to get some actual roll distance, got the spider down to halfway but those little minions just run roughshod all over me. They're there when I attack her, they're there when I need to heal, no matter where I go or what I do they're there, and it's not like I can kill them all off and not have anything but the boss to worry about.

I just don't care.

EDIT: Apparently apathy is what's required to play this game, you can't care about it in order to succeed. Because this was my tenth (and if I didn't beat her) final time going up against Freja and I beat her. I don't eve care that I did. I don't feel happy, or that I accomplished something. I'm just moving on to the next big thing to kill. I guess it's back to the Door of Phorros, those Bleed-Hounds and their boss need to be beaten. I'm hoping my anti-bleeding ring will help. :|

I'm worried though that it's all four naught. I picked up the red glowing stain that Freja left behind, but it didn't show up in my inventory next to the Lost Sinner's. I have Freja's soul. (gold and skinny) I hope that's not a glitch because I will quit the game immediately if it's somehow been rendered unwinnable because of Fromsotware's incompetence.

Also, it would have been nice to know that if Freja's really low on HP that one of her heads goes bye-bye and you have to strike the final blow on the front-face. :P

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2014, 03:00:54 PM
I'm just moving on to the next big thing to kill. I guess it's back to the Door of Phorros, those Bleed-Hounds and their boss need to be beaten. I'm hoping my anti-bleeding ring will help. :|
That guy's optional and kind of a pain in the ass. I'd recommend you skip him. Save yourself further loathing.

QuoteI'm worried though that it's all four naught. I picked up the red glowing stain that Freja left behind, but it didn't show up in my inventory next to the Lost Sinner's. I have Freja's soul. (gold and skinny) I hope that's not a glitch because I will quit the game immediately if it's somehow been rendered unwinnable because of Fromsotware's incompetence.
It's not. The "Great Souls" don't show up in your inventory (except possibly under Key Items, but I've never checked) and they're separate from the boss souls. If you saw GREAT SOUL EMBRACED, you're good.

QuoteAlso, it would have been nice to know that if Freja's really low on HP that one of her heads goes bye-bye and you have to strike the final blow on the front-face. :P
I'd have mentioned it if it were a thing that happens for that reason. The faces actually get whacked off due to something else, though I'm not sure what, Buildup of massive impact or something. It's the same way you can cut off The Rotten's arms with enough directed blade attacks or Nakja's tails, etc., but pretty sure it isn't specifically health-based since I've never knocked one of the spider's faces off (though I saw a phantom do it in front of me once).
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

I guess I'm off to put the key in every door in the area I'm already in then, or I could go and open up some Phorros doors. I'm telling you though I've got the Lost Sinner's soul in my inventory and it's red not gold, red and looks round.

EDIT: I'm out of places to go. :P

Found the door for the Brightstone Cave (cove?). Got some loot. :P

I've got the Fragrant Branch of Yore from the fight, but other than freeing up a Bonfire in the Lost Bastion or a Treasure chest in the Shaded Woods I didn't see a stone person blocking any path like before.

Shjade

Okay, so you've killed Lost Sinner and Freja. That means you've reached the relative endpoint of the two linear/easily identifiable paths. Congratulations! =D

Your remaining two choices are reached by:

1 - dropping (carefully, and with fall-damage-reducing items/spells) down that bigass pit in Majula you've probably been wondering about

2 - returning to that cylindrical room you passed through on your way to Heide's earlier, the one that had a gated doorway on the left side and a pillar in the middle? There should be a nice lady in there now who will rotate the room to open the other door if you ask her politely. (If she's not there, go talk to her; it's Licia, the woman who was upstairs of the Dragonrider's room)

And yes, I know the Lost Sinner's soul looks different from Freja's. It's not relevant to the Great Souls.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on May 18, 2014, 09:08:28 PM
Okay, so you've killed Lost Sinner and Freja. That means you've reached the relative endpoint of the two linear/easily identifiable paths. Congratulations! =D

Your remaining two choices are reached by:

1 - dropping (carefully, and with fall-damage-reducing items/spells) down that bigass pit in Majula you've probably been wondering about

2 - returning to that cylindrical room you passed through on your way to Heide's earlier, the one that had a gated doorway on the left side and a pillar in the middle? There should be a nice lady in there now who will rotate the room to open the other door if you ask her politely. (If she's not there, go talk to her; it's Licia, the woman who was upstairs of the Dragonrider's room)

And yes, I know the Lost Sinner's soul looks different from Freja's. It's not relevant to the Great Souls.
Ah see that's random. I'd have been forced to go through every area in the game again looking for what's changed. I can't take the pit. No anti-fall damage, so my path is clear. I've been kind of wanting to go up against the guardian knights in the tower now that I've got some meat on my bones.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2014, 09:18:22 PM
Ah see that's random. I'd have been forced to go through every area in the game again looking for what's changed.
How is it random? They're areas you have access to from the start of the game. Anti-fall damage is sold by the cat right there in Majula. Right next to the pit. That you need an anti-fall damage item to descend.
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on May 18, 2014, 09:41:16 PM
How is it random? They're areas you have access to from the start of the game. Anti-fall damage is sold by the cat right there in Majula. Right next to the pit. That you need an anti-fall damage item to descend.
Not that one. The woman who magically shows up to rotate the room. That's random. :|

Shjade

Somewhat. Though it's also pretty close to Majula, which is where most other NPCs end up after they tell you they're moving somewhere else.
◕/◕'s