What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 04, 2011, 04:42:04 PM
Well, there are bugs trying to eat the entire universe. And I think even Heinlein could appreciate the Imperium of Man. Or, well, at least certain parts of it. WH40K Space Marines also predate most conceptions of space marines.
From this is kind of sounds like the guys who made it really digged Starship Troopers.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on September 04, 2011, 04:42:04 PM
Well, there are bugs trying to eat the entire universe. And I think even Heinlein could appreciate the Imperium of Man. Or, well, at least certain parts of it. WH40K Space Marines also predate most conceptions of space marines.

Certain parts of WH40K definitely suffer from a high degree of power inflation, but it really depends on which incarnation it is. And the same goes for how seriously you're expected to treat them, I guess. In the tabletop game, an Ork can kill a space marine in single combat, although statistically the space marine is more likely to win. If you read anything involving space marines - or play any of the video games, I guess - you'll have space marines tearing apart hundreds of enemies. But I'm not going to try to talk anyone into liking WH40K.

Yeah, what a brilliant move that was. And quicksaves, too! It's saving done right. Makes me wonder what others are thinking. Games that have checkpoints right before ( UNSKIPPABLE! ) boss monologues, things like that.

My only experience with WH40K are the RTS games...<3

Inkidu

Rise of Legends...

I'm not having fun with this new side. It's a desert people that ride giant scorpions and summon genies and drakes. I don't know, after the big Leonardo Screw driven airships and giant steam-powered tanks it kind of seems like a letdown.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Oh you, Inki...

Anyway...Gears of War 3 comes out soon.

And then it's off to November, where we get not only Skyrim but MW3.

I actually plan to get the MW3 console if I can, since mine is currently having some freezing issues. o3o

Sabby

I need to drop a 100 dollars on a new mod chip, and this comes out just as the big wave of awesome games finally hits. Joy. Oh well, after that, I won't need my supplier for anything other then repairs.

JTAG ain't nothing to mess with brah!

Anyway, I just woke up and your all expecting me to rant about things that won't effect anyone elses buying decisions. I haven't had my coffee yet, and am in a good enough mood, so will do so anyway to preserve the status quo.

Fuck Space Marine for choosing the most boring part of Warhammer and ironically the one that was ripped off by Gears.

Fuck Dead Island for doing everything I was worried it would do. You sell out whore.

Fuck Mass Effect 3 for screwing up the whole point of the Reapers.

Fuck Dude Sex: Human Penetration, for being anything other then sun crushing levels of awesomeness. How dare you Eidos Cockandballs. How dare you Squarecock.

Rage. Arkham City. These are the games I have absolute faith in. They will be awesome =3

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on September 05, 2011, 12:56:21 AM
I need to drop a 100 dollars on a new mod chip, and this comes out just as the big wave of awesome games finally hits. Joy. Oh well, after that, I won't need my supplier for anything other then repairs.

JTAG ain't nothing to mess with brah!

Anyway, I just woke up and your all expecting me to rant about things that won't effect anyone elses buying decisions. I haven't had my coffee yet, and am in a good enough mood, so will do so anyway to preserve the status quo.

Fuck Space Marine for choosing the most boring part of Warhammer and ironically the one that was ripped off by Gears.

Fuck Dead Island for doing everything I was worried it would do. You sell out whore.

Fuck Mass Effect 3 for screwing up the whole point of the Reapers.

Fuck Dude Sex: Human Penetration, for being anything other then sun crushing levels of awesomeness. How dare you Eidos Cockandballs. How dare you Squarecock.

Rage. Arkham City. These are the games I have absolute faith in. They will be awesome =3

And yet....if you pirate Rage, you miss out on a portion of the Singleplayer game..and probably multiplayer too.

Sabby

What portion? Multi I could care less about.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on September 04, 2011, 07:21:30 PM
My only experience with WH40K are the RTS games...<3

The RTS games are surprisingly faithful to the tabletop, at least in my experience.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 05, 2011, 09:07:58 AM
What portion? Multi I could care less about.
Rage cuts a "small" portion of the single-player game to combat pirates and second-hand sales. They say it's a sewer level, but I have no idea.

I've had my coffee and I'm still fucking pissed. Fuck you Cathrine, and fuck you Atlus while I'm at it. You have done nothing to show me that my opinion of your anime wanting-to-be-a-game is anything but crap. Japan. Separating story and gameplay since 1985. So far I've climbed some fucking block towers answered some dumbass survey questions and used up all my lives. Fucking lives. Now I have to go back to the main title just to reload my last save. Right before that area! What was the fucking point! Was someone so enamored with his title screen that he wished people had to look at it more than once! Well, I don't have to because I have a power button.

I didn't even get the option to have my character cheat on his battleaxe of a girlfriend. Nope, Japan has done that for me. Screw real moral choices. I have yet to make one story choice and I'm on the third of presumably eight levels (each with stages).

I wish the Japanese market would collapse under its own stagnation already... >,>

Sabby

...Damn. Ya know, when I feel intimidated by a gamer rant, you know your flamethrowin'. I'm on vacation, Inkidu is the new Elliquiy Angry Gamer for the rest of the week. Performance review next Monday.

Hemingway

Yeah, see, this is why I don't play bad games.

Edit: Although Civ 5 did just crash on me after I'd been playing for like four hours.

Inkidu

Glad to take over.

I'm seriously about to say fuck all to Cathrine and never play it again. You know why? I got to one level where it's basically impossible to solve it on the fly (Which the game wants you to do, It's all about escaping your impending doom via climbing blocks.) I get that it's a puzzle game and all that but when you have to make stairs by collapsing other blocks around you and you can't even see how many block are going to fall it's impossible to do any way but trial-and-error. The most excruciating kind. You know, because you have fucking lives!

So it's basically like trying to solve a Rubik's Cube blindfolded without ever getting to look at it first. Japan! Hello! This is 2011, you don't need to have lives, 360s don't run on quarters no matter what anyone has told you. You don't need to be seizure inducing hard either (and I'm playing on normal). Eventually I'll figure it out, but when a game makes you list all the greatest possible possibilities in order to beat it, it's failed in my book.

Oh, get this. It's been lauded for it's portrayal of relationships... or the way anime thinks relationships work. I get the whole wacky situation, but the only real relationship  I saw was between your protagonist and his drinking buddies. All the VO is done by people who have probably voiced all the English dubs for hentai too. That's priceless.

It's becoming less playable by the second and no amount of anime almost-boob is going to save it.

*Head-desk*

Dead Island Destructoid Review

EDIT: Save your money people, it's good and good is reviewer speak for mediocre with mainly audience appeal. It has a thirty-seven item patch for it the first day. I almost double-checked to make sure Obsidian didn't make the game.

EDIT EDIT: Game Informer gave it a 8.5, but Tim Turi is hardly their best reviewer.

Hemingway

Dammit ... I'm playing Civ 5. I'm in the mid 1800s on an Epic timeline thing. And now America is massing troops at my border. They've been my friends for thousands of years! And I can't send my navy to ... wait, maybe I can.

Inkidu

Rule one of peace: Make everyone else fear your vast legion.

Hemingway

Eh, the main weakness of Civ as far as I'm concerned is that being a peaceful economic giant isn't really a viable strategy when your neighbor has a big stick. Usually I can get an army going pretty fast, though, and most of the time I beat them back, pillage for a little while, and then when they finally ask for peace I just accept it. Then I build my army. And the next time they try, I crush them. Right now it's like ... 1900 or thereabouts, and I'm researching Carrier technology. I will rule the seas. Yeah.

Wyrd

Manb, ME 3 is looking more and more like Gears with every new thing I see on it. Whatever, at least Skyrim hopefully won't suck and sell their souls :P
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Inkidu

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on September 05, 2011, 08:17:32 PM
Skyrim will suck.

Well at least we have Gears 3 to look forward too! And it's twin Mass Effect 3 is on it's way to, you\ll really love that one! :D
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 05, 2011, 08:19:20 PM
Eh-hem...

Nuh-uh! :P

Actually, I don't think it will. But then, I liked Oblivion, too. The Elder Scrolls is one of the best series of games ever, so it would take a lot to mess it up for me.

The same is true of Mass Effect.

Wyrd

I love ME, but lately it;s really hard to have hopes. I do have some faith but not much.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Am I missing something? I just looked up Mass Effect news to see if I'd missed something significant, but ... seriously, how is it a bad thing that the combat system is being improved? Everything I'm reading, from new combat mechanics to the ability to customize weapons. Unless you're a roleplaying purist who thinks improvements to gameplay are a detriment to the roleplaying aspects, or you hate Gears of War with a passion, I don't see what the problem is.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on September 05, 2011, 08:30:20 PM
Am I missing something? I just looked up Mass Effect news to see if I'd missed something significant, but ... seriously, how is it a bad thing that the combat system is being improved? Everything I'm reading, from new combat mechanics to the ability to customize weapons. Unless you're a roleplaying purist who thinks improvements to gameplay are a detriment to the roleplaying aspects, or you hate Gears of War with a passion, I don't see what the problem is.

Yes, how dare a SRPG (That's Shooter RPG) have good gameplay elements.

HOW DARE IT.

Inkidu

Arkham City is there too. I'm hoping that will get me through October. Plus The Witcher 2 is supposed to hit consoles on the same day as Skyrim.

Some of my potential disposable income has returned now that Dead Island is dead in the water for me. Most of it is going to pay of my pre-order of Skyrim. I don't know about Gears 3. I'm still stuck with absolutely no framework on that series. I get what they're going for but a little exposition during 2 would have been nice.

Honestly I'm kind of not excited about ME3 mainly because it doesn't come out until next year and I can't get excited for something that has a different year on it than the one I'm in.

Wyrd

I don't Gears of war or am a rpg purist. It just looks like the some old Cover based shooter with a new label tacked on to it. "Oh no! Cerberus! Thank god their is waist high cover conveniently placed EVERYWHERE!"  Yup, clearly improved. And customizing weapons is cool I guess. :P We also get A FUCKING SWORD! COOL!!! Look, maybe it's to early and wrong of me to call ME3 shit so soon. I just have a churning feeling that it's all wrong.
Ragtime Dandies!