The Great Modron March (Planescape, Pathfinder, LBGTQ+ friendly)

Started by TheKhan, December 09, 2018, 01:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheKhan

Something is wrong on the planes. Once every Grand Cycle (289 years for cutters who don’t live on Mechanus) the Modrons spew forth form the Gatetown of Automata to march around the outer planes. The last march has just over a century ago.

Yet why are the modrons marching again? Why would the most lawful of outsiders violate their cycle? And why do they seem so much darker this time?

You don’t have any answers. You don’t know what is yet to come. All you know is that it begins in Sigil with pain in your skull and a request for your audience.

Welcome to the Great Modron March! This is classic adventure that consists of a series of loosely connected modules that use the modrons as a background. I will also be interspersing some other Planescape classics in between, possibly including the Eternal Boundary, Tales of the Infinite Staircase, and Harbinger House.

Step aboard cutter! There are planes out there to explore!

The Expectations

Regular Posting:
I’m not going to set a specific rate since shit happens, but please post regularly. An issue I’ve found with Pathfinder PbP is when people just want to post in combat, then don’t interact with other players outside of combat.

Please don’t do that.

I like Planescape because it offers opportunities to explore and interact with the strange and the wonderful. That roleplaying is a big draw for me, so I am perfectly fine with going extended periods without combat. The Great Modron March in particular features combat, but it also has modules that are based around diplomacy or chase scenes. Please make sure you are okay with that too.

Post Size: This is likely different than most GMs on E. I don’t tend to go write long posts since it is both time consuming for me and everything tends to blur together. Please don’t misconstrue that as me not caring about a game. If I make a one or two line post, it's more likely that I’ve making a quick post when I have other commitments but want to convey something important rather than letting it sit until I have time to post properly. I know that’s not everyone’s style here, which is a-okay, but please make sure you’ll be cool with it because it is my style.

And of course, I can’t say my posts will be shorter without saying I’m okay with shorter posts from the players too (although if you feel inspired, by all means write!). My personal experience with PbP has been that shorter post that keep the plot moving at a steady pace are preferable to infrequent large posts.

Cooperative Play: Basically, don’t be a dick. Don’t troll other people or start fights. We are all here to have fun. Me having to play peacekeeper is anti-fun.

Open-Mindedness: This game is open to all orientations and genders. I’m a cis-het male, so I can’t promise I’ll get everything right, but I’m always open to talking and learning more. I just ask everyone bring that open-mindedness.

Communication: Talk to me (and each other). Let me know what you’d like to see/experience. If there is something you’d like to see or is killing your buzz, let me know. If something uncomfortable comes up and you need the scene to end, please tell me.

The Rating
I’m going to say Bondage Exotic, which gives us leeway with roleplaying and character races. We may adjust this later if necessary. Non-con and relations with anyone under 19 (or appearing to be under, or under racial equivalent) are totally off limits for me under any circumstances. They will not be appearing in this game. Yes means yes is also in full effect. If a character does not appreciate your advances, please stop.

The Lore
Setting: Planescape, pre-Faction War. This adventure will take you across the planes during the glory days of the Factions in Sigil. If you’re not familiar with the Faction War, don’t worry! All that means is that this version of Planescape is as presented in the original supplements. The Factions are still in Sigil, Orcus is dead, the Time of Troubles hasn’t happened.

With that said, the cosmology I use several magnitudes more complicated than the base setting. The quick and dirty version of it is that all cosmologies exist and overlap like billions of membranes. The Great Wheel is true and exists obviously, since that’s Planescape’s default setting. The World Axis from 4e also exists. As does the World Tree from Forgotten Realms. And the Great Beyond from Pathfinder. None of these is “true” or “correct” cosmology, they are all equally true and correct, just viewed from different perspectives. Don’t think about it too hard, unless you are truly interested in learning how it all works, in which case you can go bug the Guvners once the game begins.

Alignment: Any non-evil. Pathfinder is a game of heroes, and a cynical as Planescape can be, it still assumes the characters are heroic. With that said, Everyone in the group need to be able to get along. Preachy good, lawful templar, and chaotic jerk characters should be avoided.

Background: In true Planescape fashion, this is absolutely wide open. You can be Clueless, part of a Faction, the emissary of a god, whatever! I would like to build connections between the party. You can play characters dedicated to real-world religions (both contemporary and historical) if you wish as long as you are respectful toward that faith.

Personality: As I said above, your character needs to be trusting enough to work with others without trying to screw them over. Keeping a game cohesive on the boards is hard enough with characters getting sarcastic with one another.

Also, yes means yes is in full effect. If your character’s advances are not appreciated by another character’s, IC or OCC, they don’t need to explicitly tell you no for you to get the hint. Creepy characters are not fun for me. Please don’t play them.

Appearance: As you please, although a picture is required so that I can use it on maps, although it doesn’t have to be a perfect representation of your character.

Aspirations: Please include three aspirations for your character, two short-term and one long-term. Note that these are your aspirations for the character, so they don’t have to be things the character wants to happen to themselves. Also, these aspirations should be story focused, but don’t have to connect to a larger metaplot. They are just useful barometers for me to try and keep everyone engaged.

Sexuality: The big focus on this game for is to play the game. For sex, I'm more interested in seeing realistic (or realistic as possible) relationships develop, rather than "everyone gets laid." It can and will come up, but it won't just be with a random NPC unless you specifically go looking for that. Of course, you are also free to imitate with each other if that is your desire.

The Crunch
Books: All Paizo. All Dreamscarred Press. I may also allow stuff from Rite Publishing like their Paragon Classes, but check with me first. 
Starting Level: 3rd level
Classes: Any from the above sources.
Races: Any race of up to 15 RP is okay. You can also use the Advanced Race Guide to simulate more advanced races, examples of which will be in my next post. Here are a couple of notes on that.
* I’m going to treat Native Outsiders like tieflings, aasimar and other planetouched as straight up humanoids instead of outsiders, so they will be affected by things like charm person 
* If you want to play a construct or undead creature, use the half-construct or half-undead traits. I know it's not a perfect simulation, but it is close as we’re getting while retaining some sort of parity with other races.
* As long as it comes in under 15 RP, it should be good, although I reserve veto power, so check with me first. Here are two vetoes I can tell you about in advance. If other cases arise, I will add them to this post.
* I will veto playing monstrous beasts that are basically intelligent animals. Playing an animal without hands is so far flung from Pathfinder’s assumptions that it makes extra work for me and I have zero interest in beastiality. Centaurs are okay, since they are part humanoid. Aranea are okay because they can take humanoid form. Unicorns are not.
* I veto playing monsters that are created through curses that are are meant to be out of player control. Mostly that means Lycanthropes, but it could apply to other templates as well.
* Finally, if you want more strange player races, I encourage you to check out Bloodforge by Dreamscarred Press.
Ability scores: Standard 15 point buy. A common question I’ve gotten from PbP is if I will up it to 20 point buy. Often I cave in, but I won't be this time.
Hit Points: Full at first level.
Skills: We’ll use the Background Skills variant. More skills for everyone!
Equipment: 3000 gp. If you are using a lot of non-standard equipment, please give a brief description of the item’s unique properties.
Traits: Two traits at character creation, no more by any means.
Experience: When I feel it is an appropriate time for you to level up, I will tell you to level up.

The Application
Player Selection: I will select characters on the 20th.
Players: 4
What You Need: A character sheet that’s at least 90% done, including picture, aspirations, and background. The latter does not need to be super extensive, however.
When you need it by: December 20th. If that doesn’t work though, talk to me and we may be able to work something out. I'd like to aim to have the final group chosen by the 21st and for those of us who celebrate winter holidays, I don’t want character creation to cut into family time, be it yours or mine.

TheKhan

Sample Simplified Races

Here are some examples of how to make a simplified version of a monster race, if that’s what you want to play. Note the Gargoyle and Ogre are both lower RP than in the Advanced Races Guide since I’m trying to capture the flavour of them, not the exact stats.

Bariaur (13 RP)

+2 Str, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
Monsterous Humanoid
Large (no reach)
Quadruped
Slam (1d4)

Gargoyle (14 RP)
Monstrous Humanoid
+4 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha
Skill bonus (+2 Stealth)
Flight (50 ft, Average)

Githzerai (15 RP)
+4 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Int
Humanoid (gith)
Lesser Spell Resistance 
Naturally Psionic *
Psionic Aptitude *
Psi-like Abilities: 3/day - catfall, inertial armor*

Ogre (15 RP)
+4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha
Humanoid (giant)
Large (with reach)
Low-light vision

Thri-Keen (15 RP)
+2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Con, -4 Cha
Monstrous Humanoid
Leap: +4 to Acrobatics
Multi-Armed
Naturally Psionic*
Psionic Aptitude*

* See Psionic Unleashed Revised

All of these are based on an idea I saw on the Daily Planescape blog, so you can also use any of those races that are under 15 RP.

Aranea (http://dailyplanescape.tumblr.com/post/64699643294/aranea-13-race-points)
Armand (http://dailyplanescape.tumblr.com/post/71281166310/armand)
Blorg (http://dailyplanescape.tumblr.com/post/144056899776/blorg-planescape)
Hound Archon (http://dailyplanescape.tumblr.com/post/64982217117/hound-archon-simplified-race)
Immature Ythian (http://dailyplanescape.tumblr.com/post/69148969550/immature-yithian-simplified-race)
Rhek (http://dailyplanescape.tumblr.com/post/66297517930/rhek-simplified-race)
Wood Giant (http://dailyplanescape.tumblr.com/post/68438756089/simplified-wood-giant)

Marie Reynolds

Oh Planescape! This was   one of my favorite  settings!

So I take it your are looking for characters that can be a  balance between Social and combat effective?

If so that would be awesome!

Also definitely planting my interest flag!

TheKhan

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on December 09, 2018, 01:51:17 PM
Oh Planescape! This was   one of my favorite  settings!

So I take it your are looking for characters that can be a  balance between Social and combat effective?

If so that would be awesome!

Also definitely planting my interest flag!
Basically, yes. That's part of the motivation to use Background Skills, so even a PC that's a straight up fighter can contribute something socially or academically. And speaking of which, if there are any other alternate rules for Pathfinder Unchained people think may be useful, feel free to suggest them! I may say yes or no, but I will consider them.

There will be combat, but there will also be roleplaying opportunities (I hope) that will effectively be freeform and roll-less.

Thorne

…. Well, pants. Planescape is one of my favorite settings. You, sir, are evil.

Count me interested.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

TheKhan

Quote from: Thorne on December 09, 2018, 02:17:10 PM
…. Well, pants. Planescape is one of my favorite settings. You, sir, are evil.

Count me interested.

>:)

It is my favourite setting too!

Marie Reynolds

So can  we start of in Sigil, Cause I was thinking of playing a resident of Sigil and a Member of the free league.

TheKhan

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on December 09, 2018, 03:46:55 PM
So can  we start of in Sigil, Cause I was thinking of playing a resident of Sigil and a Member of the free league.

Yup, the story starts in Sigil, although you’ll start planehopping quickly

Drowdeviant

...*Plants Interest Flag*

Can we mod below 15 rp races with extra features or would you like them to stay as? I ask because the Aranea are 13 RP...
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

TheKhan

Quote from: Drowdeviant on December 09, 2018, 04:16:01 PM
...*Plants Interest Flag*

Can we mod below 15 rp races with extra features or would you like them to stay as? I ask because the Aranea are 13 RP...

I'd prefer to keep them as is since I'm not planning on modifying elves, dwarves, and the like. An Aranea would be a super interesting PC though!

TheKhan

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on December 09, 2018, 04:59:02 PM
So is this game  before or after the faction war?

Decidely before. Faction War may or may not happen.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: TheKhan on December 09, 2018, 04:46:23 PM
I'd prefer to keep them as is since I'm not planning on modifying elves, dwarves, and the like. An Aranea would be a super interesting PC though!

Hmmmm. In that case I might take one of the variant kitsune races then xD
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

TheKhan

I knew I forgot something. Thanks for the reminder Marie!! I’ve added a setting section to the first post, but I’ve included it in the spoilers below so that it's easy to find if you’ve already read the main post.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Setting: Planescape, pre-Faction War. This adventure will take you across the planes during the glory days of the Factions in Sigil. If you’re not familiar with the Faction War, don’t worry! All that means is that this version of Planescape is as presented in the original supplements. The Factions are still in Sigil, Orcus is dead, the Time of Troubles hasn’t happened.

With that said, the cosmology I use several magnitudes more complicated than the base setting. The quick and dirty version of it is that all cosmologies exist and overlap like billions of membranes. The Great Wheel is true and exists obviously, since that’s Planescape’s default setting. The World Axis from 4e also exists. As does the World Tree from Forgotten Realms. And the Great Beyond from Pathfinder. None of these is “true” or “correct” cosmology, they are all equally true and correct, just viewed from different perspectives. Don’t think about it too hard, unless you are truly interested in learning how it all works, in which case you can go bug the Guvners once the game begins.

GunmetalDreamer

Hrmn ... not sure if I'm going to jump in just yet, I'm still kind of spinning my wheels on character concepts.

I suppose I should ask if I can roll an Android if I excise Nanite Surge from the racial abilities?  It brings them more in line with Starfinder Androids and brings them down to RP 13 like Tieflings and the like.

TheKhan

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on December 09, 2018, 11:24:30 PM
Hrmn ... not sure if I'm going to jump in just yet, I'm still kind of spinning my wheels on character concepts.

I suppose I should ask if I can roll an Android if I excise Nanite Surge from the racial abilities?  It brings them more in line with Starfinder Androids and brings them down to RP 13 like Tieflings and the like.

Works for me!

Muse

Good morning.  I'd love a chance to join you.  I had a whole lot of fun playing in some Planescape games under a skilled DM in the last days of second edition.  I'm also very excited for the chance to play in a game where Psionics Unleashed is welcomed. 

If I don't come up with anything else soon, I'll pitch Sweetwater--a half giant wilder with an oversized crystal falchion...   

Oh, wait.  She won't do to well in 15 point buy.  Let me give this some thought then! :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

GunmetalDreamer

I'll admit to only dabbling in Planescape before, but I am a sucker for the core conceits.  I'll go ahead and plant a flag for now

Sheen Gridman
Lvl 3 Android Investigator

Background
Sheen doesn't talk much about the Prime that she first incarnated on.  From what she has said, her people's history was lost in some manner of cataclysm, but in the modern day they were largely enslaved by a cult of techno-divinity that took possession of the forges capable of creating more of them.  Lacking in arms or martial training, the Starchildren to take advantage of their tireless bodies, working the mines and factorums that birth the strength of their masters.  The lucky ones do, at least, the exceptional or troublesome are disappeared into the laboratories of mad alchemists, callous urpriests, and relentless necromancers who pry their bodies apart layer by layer seeking to understand the secrets of their immortal forms.  Some sport blasphemous cybergraphs as they clumsily attempt to approach the perfection of their rambling god-machine.

Sheen left that life behind in a mad scramble after killing her overseer with a crude shiv she'd made from industrial runoff.  Her escape attempt was not the best planned.  In the end, she'd been penned in by a patrol of guards wielding long spears, while she herself was clutching only the gory metal shank she'd been clutching tight.  Refusing to go back to the forge, or worse yet become one of the nameless test subjects of the inner labs, Sheen hurled herself over the edge of a balcony.  She'd hoped, somehow, to make the impossible leap beyond the sprawling arms of the spire and land in the pit of bubbling lubricant that had served as a moat for centuries.

Instead, she thread the hoop-like needle of an antenna array, and abruptly crashed into the roof of a market stall in Sigil.

Sheen remembers those early days of confusion and naivety with an uncomfortable cringe now.  Sigil gave her her first taste of self determination, the possibility of fighting for a better tomorrow, and she took to it viciously.  A bit of an information broker, rogue archaeologist, and treasure hunter, Sheen's a cutter who never found a hustle she didn't like.  Sheen's a member of the Free League, citing the fact that she spent enough of her life living as someone else dictates, and she looks out for her fellow Indeps like an extended family.  That said, she owes some favors among the Bleakers as well, who were largely responsible for her finding her feet when she first landed in Sigil.

Personality
Cool and business-like, Sheen is always looking for an angle she can exploit.  Sheen doesn't have many "friends", preferring "contacts" and "associates", a pretense of professionalism that endears her to few.  Still, she knows the chant, sells drugs to Sensates, is comfortable taking on odd jobs, and has been known to pull her fellow Indeps' necks out of a noose on more than one occasion.  Still, her willingness to tweak noses and flirt with legality mean that she's been on the receiving end of more that a few grudges as well.  Waking up tied to a chair with a headache is the kind of situation she'd likely respond to with a long-suffering "Again?"

It's worth noting that, for all Sheen's pragmatism she isn't entirely hardhearted.  She always makes sure to get paid, but she's set up installment plans and alternative payment methods for people who approach her with a sob story in the past.  Her pet causes are usually the Clueless, as she remembers too clearly when she first arrived in Sigil herself, and other sapient mechanicals like Androids or rogue Modrons.  She hasn't forgotten her kin back on the Prime, but as just one woman her plans for them are slow moving.

Attributes:  Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 8
HP: 20 / 20  Armor Class:  20  Initiative:  +4  Speed:  30'  CMD:  16
Saving Throws:  Fort +2;  Ref +7;  Will +3
Class/Racial Feats:  None
Chosen Feats:  Dirty Fighter, Weapon Finesse
Skills:  Craft (Alchemy) +10, Diplomacy +8, Disable Device +10, Escape Artist +8, Know Arcana +6, Know Dungeoneering +6, Know Engineering +6, Know History +6, Know Local +6, Know Nature +6, Know Planes +6, Know Religion +6,
Perception +8, Sleight of Hand +8, Stealth +10, Spellcraft +6, Use Magic Device +4
Traits:  Clever Wordplay, Helpful

Short Term Aspirations:  Rediscover a path back to her Prime Material plan; Support the Indeps and help protect them from the predatory actions of other Factions.
Long Term Aspiration:  Establish a colony for her fellow Androids on another Plane and either spark a revolution or create an underground railroad.

Ryu Wojin

I'd love to experince planescape ^^. I'm just curious as to if a Lamia would be allowed as a PC. I know theres a lamia race in kobold press's advanced races. I just don't know what the rp of thst is yet. Gonna look it up and get back, but still curious from the setting standpoint if that would be allowed

TheKhan

Quote from: Ryu Wojin on December 10, 2018, 09:14:05 AM
I'd love to experince planescape ^^. I'm just curious as to if a Lamia would be allowed as a PC. I know theres a lamia race in kobold press's advanced races. I just don't know what the rp of thst is yet. Gonna look it up and get back, but still curious from the setting standpoint if that would be allowed
I have no idea since I don't own that book and have no interest in pirating it.

Ryu Wojin

Quote from: TheKhan on December 10, 2018, 12:09:20 PM
I have no idea since I don't own that book and have no interest in pirating it.

I own the pdf so I just had to look through my pazio download library. Anyways. I can show you everything they have. It doesn't list an rp. But I am willing to toss some racial traits because I think it'd be above 15 rp.

Lamia commoner
medium creature
+2 str, +2 cha, -2 int
30ft speed. 20ft climb. 20ft swim
+2 to intimidate
+2 agaisnt mind affecting effects
Can't be tripped, but can't wear magic items for feet
60ft darkvision
+2 to bluff and UMD
Spell resistance 5+ HD
Charm Person and Ventroloqiusm once per day
Profienct with Scimitars

indarkestknight

On one hand, I'd really like to find out what you had planned for Wekhed. On the other, there are so many other possibilities this raises. A rogue modron (would that be too on the nose?)... an Athar orc from a world where the orcs slew and ate their gods... a grimspawn gunslinger working as an agent of Szuriel to seed firearms across the Prime Material Planes (though that one might be too evil. Hoom. )...

Muse

I'm running around in circles looking at concepts.  :) 

I have ideas like Narissa Walker, a psionic dancing girl and explorer.  She wishes to become an elocator--the ultimate masters of psionic mobilty.
She rarely bothers with a weapon because she can charge her hand with jackhammer-like force, turning light touches into astonishing impacts. 

I'm imagining a Maened wilder with a crystal flail.  Her name might be Kyte.  A skilled sailor and warrior, she aspires to one day captain a ship that can sail from plane to plane. 

I'm imagining a young woman who wakes up with amnesia one day and discovers that she has been transformed into an immortal being with powerful psionis abilities.  She can also use psionic energy to perform astounding feats of psychometabolism, going days without food or drink, minimizing wounds, resisting attacks.  In her dreams a voice tells her that he has given her immortality and eternal youth...  But who is he, and why?  And who is she? 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ryu Wojin

TheKhan.

I have looked further into those abilities and used the custom race guidelines to judge how much RP that's worth. All of that is definitely over 15RP. So I took some traits out and this is what I will ask for your permission to use.

Lamia commoner
medium creature

0 RP Standard
   +2 str, +2 cha, -2 int

0 RP Standard + Climb (2RP) + Swim (2 RP)
   30ft speed. 20ft climb. 30ft swim

2 RP Skill Bonus
   +2 to intimidate

2 RP Resilient
   +2 against mind affecting effects + poison

1 RP Weapon Familiarity
   Proficient with Scimitars + 1 more [Undecided... open to suggestion for what else a Lamia would use!]

3 RP Monstrous Humanoid
   60ft dark vision

Unknown?
        Can't be tripped, but can't wear magic items for feet

That last bit, there is no listing for anything like that. Monstrous Humanoid is also a tad weird. Darkvision by itself is 2RP. Monstrous Humanoid only gives Darkvision but costs 3 RP. So I'd say with the remaining 3RP left before I go past 15, and the Monstrous Humanoid clause, we can accommodate for that last bit?

If that's all welcome, then my idea is an Oracle Lamia with the mystery of Metal. I am still thinking on the curse. But I am effectively making her a lamia outcast who created a hobby of making arms and armor. She's a blacksmith in background skills effectively, and her fascination applies to her oracle abilities.