Interest check - Plot-driven Star Wars game

Started by RedEve, June 26, 2011, 07:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Intro Cinema

The above trailer for BioWare's upcoming game has wet my appetite for an E game in the SW universe.
I'm not sure I have the time to GM it, but I thought it would be fun to check the interest amongst the rest of the Elliquiy members.
I'd prefer a plot-based game though, which means that even though sexual episodes would be welcomed, they would not be the main focus of the game.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Blobbe

I'd be interested nin playing one, but not runnong it though. I've been looking to get into a Star Wars RP for some time, but have had an astounding lack of luck.

RedEve

That's great news, any preference in terms of the era?

Altair1983

Id like to throw my hat in for this and well as far as era's go id like to suggest Legacy but always willing to be flexible.

RedEve

Quote from: Altair1983 on June 26, 2011, 10:46:27 AM
Id like to throw my hat in for this and well as far as era's go id like to suggest Legacy but always willing to be flexible.

I was leaning towards Legacy as well, with the Old Republic as a close second. The advantage of both is that we can assume that no one will try to claim any canon characters of the movie franchise.

Altair1983

Awesome cause I definately have quite a few Imperial Knight Concepts floating around that i have wanted to  play for a really long time.

RedEve

We will need to decide how big or how small we want this game to be. Posting frequency. And we'll need one overarching plot line to connect all of our characters.

Altair1983

Hmm we could always go with the someone is gathering a crew to launch their carrear as a highly efficient smuggler or something and let the party come together that way? and see how plot develops and let each of our backgrounds come to affect the daily live and our operations.

Pretty in Pink

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  *glomps all of them*  Star Wars!  I can help with planetary stuffs as well as figuring out races, if you guys would like.  I'm a Star Wars NUT.
[FLOATLEFT][/FLOATLEFT]O.O ~{=}~ Ideas ~{=}~ A&A[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]

I've taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RP

RedEve

Do we allow Force users or not? I'm not opposed to it but I don't want a game with nothing but Jedi and Sith either. Perhaps we limit them to one or two?

Altair1983

Id be okay with limiting that but now are we going to put those as whoever gets their cs first or if they let their intent be known to play a force user.

RedEve

Well I'm not sure I'd be GMing, but I think the best solution is to let the GM decide which character or player deserves to have Force abilities and making sure it's limited to - perhaps - one per faction?

Altair1983

Well or since we want to focus on a plot development we could go with a collobrative style, where each character brings something to the plot and it evolves and grow based on the interactions we all have with each other?

RedEve

So you'd rather not put a cap on the amount of force users?

Funguy81

I'll throw my hat in this as well. Don't worry about me playing a Jedi or sith in this, I'm usually more inclined to play a soldier type character. As for Gming, if no one is opposed to utilizing Saga rules, I can try my hand at being the GM.

RedEve

Saga rules? I saw this as Free-form but feel free to elaborate.

Funguy81

I'm just throwing the idea out there, but only if everyone wishes to play using the rules. Its a good way to insure that characters are not overpowering, and force users not abusive with force powers.

GM: You see an Imperial Fleet of 20 Star Destroyers forming a barricade around the planet.
Force User: I pull every ship and crash it onto the planet surface with the force!!!

Yea, that guy thought the Jedi portrayed on that god awful animated clone wars cartoon series were how Jedi's powers should have been. Never mind the fact that he tried to practically commit genocide. 

Anyways if everyone prefers freeform I can still try my hand at GMing everything around player characters, unless someone else wishes to do it.   

RedEve

Well can you explain the saga rules to the rest of us?

Altair1983

The Saga rules are the newest d20 rules and they are pretty balanced and i agree still with limiting force users i was just focusing on the matter of not having a gm and the plot being governed by a colobrative effort but if Funguy wishes to run im perfectly okay with that.

RedEve

I should warn you all that I am terrible at system games. It says so in my O/o's. :D

Altair1983

Ah well a group consesus still has to be reached and if you need help i know the system pretty well its my brain baby and i love its ease of use im just willing to facillitate which ever idea we roll with any other peeps have ideas?

Funguy81

Um... in short order there are 5 classes that a player can use for his character. Jedi, Noble, Scoundrel, Scout, and Soldier. Each class have choices skills, abilities, and talents that gives them practically unlimited choices for character creation. The combat system is pretty simple, as well as the utility of vehicles, starships, and cruisers.

To be honest if everyone that is interested in this gives me a character concept of a character that is beginning their life (like a jedi apprentice, a smuggler beginning the life, a soldier fresh from training), I could create the character stats on him or her, and give a basic rundown to each player on the strength and weakness of the character. It would help if they understand the rules, but now that I think on it no one really needs to know the technical rules of the game if we do this. Player can say something like, "My character fires his blaster at the enemy." And I can determine if he hits the target, or succeeds in a skill like hacking into a computer.

I can focus the game on character interaction so the rules are not really needed, but then the rules come in when the blasters come to play. Though If this route is taken, I can run a game with 2-3 others at the most and if their interested. If not, dont worry about it and I'll jump in on free form.

RedEve

Another question, why is there a limit on the amount of players if we go with the system game? Because of the extra work? Or some other reason?

Funguy81

Pretty much the extra work. With the time I have in my life, I don't think I can run a game with anymore than 3 other people.

RedEve

Well then I guess that makes the choice rather simple. We use your system for four players and under and free-form if more people apply for a character.