religion and mythology.

Started by Tamhansen, October 08, 2012, 01:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

Quote from: WildCat on October 13, 2012, 03:25:29 PM
"Religion and Mythology"

Obviously, I am qualified to speak only for myself.

I think the tendency to get up in arms about the two lies not in denotation but in connotation. 'Mythology' tends to be associated with 'false' in a way 'religion' isn't. I am Christian. Personally, I don't object to Christianity being referred to as a mythology because I know that 'mythology' and 'false' are not synonyms. (For that matter, I'm not going to get up in arms with people telling me my faith is 'false', I just don't agree with them.)

Meanwhile, living in a secular world--it does irritate me when Muslims or Wiccans or practitioners of whatever faith are denied the rights and privileges that I as a Christian enjoy.

I am really glad to hear such a viewpoint. Even though i believe many Christians share it, I seldom hear or see it expressed. And indeed. Myth has somehow become synonymous with fairy tales in modern days, which is why I placed the definition in the first post. the bible is Christian mythology, while the practices of Christian congregations are it's religion. I think that that would be the best way to phrase my viewpoint.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on October 13, 2012, 10:02:13 AM
What happens when you tell a child that Santa Clause isn't real? They freak out. Why? Because they believe that Santa will give them toys if they are good. No Santa means no toys. A child will just kick and cry over the loss of their Santa, while an adult will terrorize and force people to believe, rape women, and blow up buildings.

If you allow the child to come the realization independently and answer their question about the existence of Santa with the question "What do you think?" a dialogue can develope where the idea of Santa isn't destroyed but morphed into a philosophy of giving.  Children being the instinctively clever little beings they are come to the conclusion that parents are Santa. 

I was taught a concept of Santa being a feeling that I can hold onto that lets me see need and try to fulfill it.  I still like to imagine the North Pole and elves but I relish the ability and opportunities to be the Santa for someone when I can.  The myth can become the religion that way.

Oniya

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on October 13, 2012, 03:32:44 PM
If you allow the child to come the realization independently and answer their question about the existence of Santa with the question "What do you think?" a dialogue can develope where the idea of Santa isn't destroyed but morphed into a philosophy of giving.  Children being the instinctively clever little beings they are come to the conclusion that parents are Santa. 

I was taught a concept of Santa being a feeling that I can hold onto that lets me see need and try to fulfill it.  I still like to imagine the North Pole and elves but I relish the ability and opportunities to be the Santa for someone when I can.  The myth can become the religion that way.

I'm a big fan of the 'Yes, Virginia' letter, myself.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on October 13, 2012, 03:32:44 PM

I like this, and it illustrates the relationship pretty well.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Pumpkin Seeds

I agree.  That was a touching way to put the concept Beguile.