WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I'd probably paint the eyes first, on the expectation that some of the white is going to end up on the face anyway :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

I actually do like doing the eyes. I basically do what Hairy does - paint it white, then apply a tiny - and I do mean tiny - black dot in the middle. It does so much for the overall look of the model ( assuming the model has visible eyes and isn't wearing a helmet ).

Quote from: Beorning on September 20, 2014, 06:50:04 PM
The miniatures I ordered are actually metal ones, that's why I tried painting on metal...

Yeah, but a bottle cap is not bare metal. It's smoother and glossier than actual metal minis. Still, a spray primer will make painting metal minis a lot easier. A lot.

Beorning

Quote from: Hemingway on September 22, 2014, 11:00:12 AM
Yeah, but a bottle cap is not bare metal. It's smoother and glossier than actual metal minis. Still, a spray primer will make painting metal minis a lot easier. A lot.

Hm. I bought a primer that can be applied with a normal brush, as I don't own a spray gun. I also wanted to be able to do the priming at home. I've heard it's a good primer... We'll see if it helps.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on September 22, 2014, 11:20:29 AM
Hm. I bought a primer that can be applied with a normal brush, as I don't own a spray gun. I also wanted to be able to do the priming at home. I've heard it's a good primer... We'll see if it helps.

You don't have a local hardware store that sells cans of spray paint?

Beorning

All of the hardware stores I know of are quite far from my home... Plus, I'd need to buy the spray gun, too. And it'd be a bit too costly for me.

Also, I really wanted to avoid the problem of not being able to work on the minis in the winter. Especially that winter is actually getting close...

I believe I should be okay. Vallejo's surface primer is really getting great reviews online.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on September 22, 2014, 11:33:13 AM
All of the hardware stores I know of are quite far from my home... Plus, I'd need to buy the spray gun, too. And it'd be a bit too costly for me.

Also, I really wanted to avoid the problem of not being able to work on the minis in the winter. Especially that winter is actually getting close...

I believe I should be okay. Vallejo's surface primer is really getting great reviews online.

I spraypaint all my minis, and I don't even know what a spray gun is. I've always bought spray paint in cans...I guess it's also known as aerosol paint/ing, because the canister has a valve at the top for dispensing the paint.

HairyHeretic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKmmY5IBJBA

This is spraying a model with spray paint, for undercoating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQejZJp2TlI

This is airbrushing.

Two very different things :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

I know what airbrushing is. But I thought that spraying also needs some sort of gun...

Oh well. We'll see how the brushed-on primer does. BTW.:

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-vallejo-surface-primer.html

Now, one more matter I need to work out is: what glue (of those available in Poland) is good for glueing metal miniatures?

HairyHeretic

I just use regular superglue. It works on metal and plastic both, and means I can snap the model apart again if I need to .

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thorne

Spray cans usually just need to be shaken vigorously - and for preference, used outdoors. Which you know. ^^;
Airbrushing is a whole 'nother kettle of pirhana. Masks, ventilation, the whole lot of it. :/

This is my current project, taken at terrible resolution because my phone does not 'macro' very well:

Click for actual size.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Beorning

You need to have a mask when airbrush? Good thing I didn't go with this plan, then - I didn't know that...

What are the things in the photo? I see a bird and a dog (wolf?).

Thorne

Yes, you do need a mask for airbrushing - and you need a serious one, because you do /not/ want to breath in the particles.

The minis are all familiars. Pretty even mix of metal (bare) and plastic Bones (half-painted). There's an assortment - some birds (hawk, raven, vulture), a hedgehog (that teeny thing on the white cap), and some misc. elemental familiars.
To give you some idea of scale, the things I'm using for miniature holders there are a nice mix of lead containers (spare leads for mechanical pencils) and spare eraser holders (for same). At least they'll be quick to paint... the details will be murder, though. ^^;

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Beorning

Are these minis for any particular game? Also, what are you using to attach them to the holders? I'm planning to use some plasticine...

On another note - my minis arrived today! Here's one Sister of Battle straight out of the box:

I have a question for you, guys: these minis have these... bars at their feet (as you can at the first photo). Meanwhile, the bases supplied with them have these slits:

Does it mean that I should stick these bars into these slits? Or are the bars unnecessary and I should remove them? Here's how the minis look with the bases:

Is this how they are supposed to be?

Some other questions for you that came to me today:

1. Should I glue the minis first (they have these backpacks that need to be attached) - then, prime and paint them? Or should I prime and paint them first, then glue everything together?

2. I once heard that one should wash minis before painting. But these minis are metal. Won't they get... corroded?

3. What do you think about painting eyebrows? Is it too small of a detail to try painting on?

4. I bought a glue for metal minis at one hobby store... I've heard it's a good glue... but it's cyanide-something. Have you used this kind of glue? Are any precautions needed? Is it, uhm, toxic?

6. The Sisters' bolter have no holes in their barrels! What do you think, should I leave it like that? Or should I get some drill and make some holes?

TheGlyphstone

Yes, the slots are intended as support to hold your figures onto their bases, and give a sturdier framework for glue application than just the flats of the boots.

Pewter shouldn't corrode under water, unless you leave it there for days or weeks. Dry them off after the rinse and you're good.

Anything with 'cyanide' in its name I am leery of.

Eyebrows..that's up to you. On minis that size, you might find even painting small ones will result in gigantic misshapen hair-brows relative to the facial features, or it might be fine.

For a new modeler, I'd advise against advanced stuff like drilling the barrels, since it has to be done very carefully to avoid wrecking the gun.

HairyHeretic

The older style minis, which you have there, the slots / bars are to provide a bit of stability for the models. I find it best to kink the ends of the bars slightly so they sit more firmly in the slots.

The vast majority of the model lines have model to plastic, which (being lighter) don't require the same stability as the metal models, and the bases for those don't have the slots.

1 - Either or. Personally I glue then paint, but painting everything first means you'll probably get better coverage and do a better job. I don't worry that much about my painting :)

2 - Never heard about washing metal mins. Some resin ones I'm told do need a wash, but the metal ones ought to be fine. Corrosion isn't an issue.

3 - I wouldn't, that's a bit too detailed for me. YMMV of course.

4 - I think a lot of glues are. My superglue is ethyl-2-cyanoacrylite. Don't drink it, you should be fine. :) And don't carry an open tube of superglue through any airport bomb sniffers, as it sets them off *grins*. This was something we learned the fun way.

5 - Some people would, some wouldn't. It's your choice.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Thanks for the answers!

You know, that glue toxicity issue makes me very paranoid right now  :-( What I have is cyanoacrilite glue (meaning, something akin to Superglue etc.). I've read about these glues and I saw some scary stuff... For once, these glues create toxic fumes! So, should I glue with my room window open, or something? Also, they apparently can glue fingers so strongly that one might need a surgeon to separate them... Agh! Now I don't know if I should use that glue... and, if not, what to use instead...

Regarding the bases and the slots: should I, maybe, file down these support bars a little? One of the minis fits into the slot just fine, but the other two aren't really going in that easily...

HairyHeretic

I glue my fingers together with the superglue frequently when putting stuff together. Or glue a piece to a finger instead of the rest of the model. I then swear and pull them apart again.

Unless you have some kind of insanely powerful glue, and wait for it to set after glueing your fingers together, I don't think it will be an issue :)

Likewise, if you have a ventilated room .. window / door open, you should be fine. I've never had any real problems with the glue.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Hm. So, I *should* open my window when glueing? Or would it be enough to keep my room's door open?

BTW. A paranoid thought: how do you know you're okay, HH? Maybe these fumes have already accumulated in you after using this stuff... eating away your lungs or other organs right now... *shudders*

Thorne

Tch, heresy... life IS a terminal condition, you know. ^.~

A few precautions, and you should be fine, with glue. I've glued myself to all kinds of things using superglue, and done no real damage. Best to avoid it, but it does happen, and there's usually no reason to panic about it.
Opening a window is probably a good idea, though - ventilation is not a bad thing, as the fumes can do funny things to your perception of things if you inhale too much of them. I work with an open (screened!) door behind me.

As for what the minis in the picture I posted are for .. For? They have to be FOR something? ^^;
Seriously, they're for those rare occasions when someone remembers they have a familiar and need to put the little bugger on the table for some reason. Although, between you, me and the doorpost, I pray I'll never need the hedgehog. That little guy is so tiny I'm afraid I'll lose him. o.O

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

HairyHeretic

In that case I'll just pledge my allegiance to Papa Nurgle and keep going :P

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Thorne: so, these minis are for RPGs, then? Who's the manufacturer?

Regarding the glue: guys, would it be safe for me to keep the (closed!) glue bottle in the room I sleep? Or do I risk getting intoxicated with the fumes?

Also, would Superglued minis be safe to stay in my room?

HairyHeretic

As long as you have the cap back on it, I imagine it would be fine. Keep it across the room from you if you're worried. Once the glue sets on the minis, fumes aren't going to be an issue any longer.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thorne

*blink* Oh! Heh, sorry. Derp moment for me. Yes, they're for RPGs - D&D/Pathfinder. They're all Reaper minis - the plastic ones are from their Bones line, and I think the metal ones were from the Dark Heaven Legends line. The hedgehog I mentioned would just about fit on the end of an unsharpened pencil with no overlap.

And, yes. Closed glue bottles are perfectly safe to keep in your room.
Ninja'd by Hairy. It was only a matter of time....

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Oniya

Put it this way - cyanoacrylate glues are also used for 'liquid stitches' in many hospitals.  If you can find a nail-polish remover that has acetone in it, that makes a good solvent for unsticking fingers.

I also looked over the summarized toxicology reports that the WHO put out - I used to review these things for a government contractor to the EPA - and it converts to layman's terms as follows:

1. Don't spray it in your face. 
2. Don't eat it.  It is unlikely to kill you, but it will harden in your stomach.
3. Getting it on your skin could result in some redness.
4. Don't get it in your eyes.
5. Getting it on your skin multiple times has no apparent cumulative effect.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Thanks for the opinion on the glue... I prefer to stay on the safe side for such things.

Coming back to the base slits and bars - in a properly made mini, should these bars be completely hidden inside the bases? Because the bars on my minis don't want to go all the way in and they stick out (as visible in the photo). Should I file them down a bit, or something?