Last Stand of the Monstergirl Tribes (Legend system)

Started by Sethala, March 29, 2013, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethala

After a friend's prodding, I've decided to run a game based on the Legend system.  It's relatively new, but entirely free; you can download it from the official website here: http://www.ruleofcool.com/get-the-game/

Setting and plot isn't fully nailed down yet, but it's something like this: the world's main landmass has always been split between two large groups: the kingdoms of elves, dwarves, and men to the east, and the monster tribes to the west.  In the past, the two tended to get along to an extent; there were always skirmishes and the occasional small war, both between the two major groups and within their borders between the various kingdoms. 

That all changed when King Reginald VII began to unify the various kingdoms under his banner, beginning a campaign that decimated most of the monster tribes.  While for a time it looked like the war would be successful, and force the monsters away forever, the alliance began to fall apart when the kingdoms began to argue about who would claim which lands.  Eventually, the alliance began to turn on itself, falling apart completely with Reginald's assassination.

Fifty years later, rumors of another alliance began to appear.  While the monster kingdoms are strong, and have begun to retake their lands, another alliance would completely destroy them.  It's up to the heroes to learn what they can of this new alliance, and more importantly, do whatever possible to ensure it never forms.

Obviously, the PCs are all going to be either members of the monster tribes, or humanoids (humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and so on) that sympathize with them (the latter is extremely rare though; if I allow it, it'll be only one character in the party).  The monster races are unique in that they give birth to females much more often than males; only about 10% of the population are male, so the men that are born are usually well-guarded and not allowed to do anything considered dangerous, and nearly all of the adventurers are female.  Monstergirls are able to mate with other humanoids however, and while their offspring will still be mostly female, male children are more common than in purely monster pairings.

The "monsters" are based mostly on the monsergirl images that have become popular lately, although the story text that goes with the images isn't necessarily canon for this game (i.e. the monstergirls don't generally go out and find men to rape, although some might).  The men are similarly styled, as in "mostly human with some monster bits", not full monsters.

Character creation: Starting level 4, all classes allowed.  Feel free to take an existing race and "re-theme" it as a monster race if you want, but any of the "normal" humanoid races are very unlikely to help the monsters.  For stats, you can take the standard array of 16, 14, 14, 12, 10, 10; 26-point buy; or 5d6 (taking top 3) 6 times.  You shouldn't have any odd numbers; if you rolled for stats, subtract 1 from one odd ability score and add it to another.  If you have only one odd score left, just subtract 1 from it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask either myself or ShadowFox.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sethala

ShadowFox89

Gonna go with Celia, a golem who was built a hundred years ago as a gift from the elves to the monstergirl queen. Shortly after she arrived in the monstergirl lands, however, Celia was deactivated somehow. She has only recently been reactivated and... is a bit behind the times. As far as Celia still remembers, the two lands have a fairly amiable peace between each other.

Celia requires a peculiar power source... either semen from men or milk from women, at least once every 24hrs, or she begins to shut down.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Monfang

Just want to say I am interested. Not sure if you'd want to accept me as playing the human or maybe a wolf-girl. Just want to know what are the requirements for both.

Antipaladin of Calista

This looks kick ass! Count me in! I'll roll up a character right now.

Sethala

Quote from: Monfang on March 29, 2013, 09:02:06 PM
Just want to say I am interested. Not sure if you'd want to accept me as playing the human or maybe a wolf-girl. Just want to know what are the requirements for both.

I will say that I don't expect there to be any human(oid) characters; I'm really going to need an interesting backstory for me to accept it.

Not quite sure what you're asking about with requirements, though.  Can you elaborate?

Antipaladin of Calista

Quote from: Sethala on March 29, 2013, 09:35:51 PM
I will say that I don't expect there to be any human(oid) characters; I'm really going to need an interesting backstory for me to accept it.

Not quite sure what you're asking about with requirements, though.  Can you elaborate?

Non-humanoid? Can you elaborate on that? We wont be playing like dogs and cats that walk on all fours right? I was under the impression you wanted something to this effect:

ShadowFox89

I think he means the vanilla humanoid races; Humans, elves, dwarves, etc.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sethala

Sorry, I'm referring to the background fluff.  There's two large "groups", the "humanoid" races of humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc (the standard fantasy "good guy" races), and then the monster races like the picture you linked.  The PCs are all intended to be the monster races.

So yeah, you're right, I just don't have a good term for the "other guys".  Maybe I should call them demihumans instead, would that be clearer?

Monfang

Quote from: Sethala on March 29, 2013, 09:35:51 PM

I am brewing up a backstory right now. Just how do you want us to post it? Do you have a character sheet in mind?

Sethala

Unfortunately plothook.net and myth-weavers don't have sheets for Legend yet, but there's an edit-able PDF file on the Rule of Cool website you can download, fill out, and upload to the wiki here.

If you don't want to go to the hassle of uploading every change you do, feel free to write out the basics here (mainly ability scores, race/class, tracks, skills, feats, and items) for me to glance at, and then fill out all the numbers and stuff later once the game gets going.  You don't need to worry about filling all the mathy stuff (i.e. figuring out your HP, AC, saves, etc) just yet, since that's not something you "choose".

Antipaladin of Calista

Quote from: Sethala on March 29, 2013, 09:54:52 PM
Sorry, I'm referring to the background fluff.  There's two large "groups", the "humanoid" races of humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc (the standard fantasy "good guy" races), and then the monster races like the picture you linked.  The PCs are all intended to be the monster races.

So yeah, you're right, I just don't have a good term for the "other guys".  Maybe I should call them demihumans instead, would that be clearer?

Oh god, my AD&D PTSD is going crazy, I had to fight a dragon and was actually scared for once. No anything by demihumans! That's like saying

Nee!

Lets just call the humans-ish peeps "Humankind" and monsters will be an apropo name for the monsters. Speaking of which, I'm torn. I have an amazing back story for a human character, but at the same time I want to play a monster.

#FantasyWorldProblems

ShadowFox89

Here's a good Legend sheet template...

Name:
Class:
Race:

HP:
Damage Reduction:

Speed:

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Intelligence
Wisdom
Charisma

Armor Class:
Awareness:
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Resistance and Immunity:
Base Attack Bonus:

Class Features:
Track 1 Abilities:
Track 2 Abilities:
Track 3 Abilities:

Feats:

Skills:

Items:
Weapon:
Armor:
Expendables:

Attacks:
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sethala

Quote from: Antipaladin of Calista on March 29, 2013, 10:37:12 PM
Oh god, my AD&D PTSD is going crazy, I had to fight a dragon and was actually scared for once. No anything by demihumans! That's like saying

Nee!

Lets just call the humans-ish peeps "Humankind" and monsters will be an apropo name for the monsters. Speaking of which, I'm torn. I have an amazing back story for a human character, but at the same time I want to play a monster.

#FantasyWorldProblems

Works for me.

And if it helps you decide, I'm much more likely to take a monstergirl character than a humankind.

Antipaladin of Calista

Quote from: Sethala on March 29, 2013, 10:40:49 PM
Works for me.

And if it helps you decide, I'm much more likely to take a monstergirl character than a humankind.

So here are some good/important questions:
Are we supposed to hate/want peace with the humans?
Are we trying to kill them or protect ourselves?
Is the main focus a small band of characters (I.E. our characters) or are we each from different places?

ShadowFox89

I'm either going to take Elementalist as my 3rd track, or Heroica....

If I take Heroica, anyone want to partner up with Celia?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Antipaladin of Calista

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on March 29, 2013, 11:23:47 PM
I'm either going to take Elementalist as my 3rd track, or Heroica....

If I take Heroica, anyone want to partner up with Celia?

I might, but I'm playing a dark elf, so I'm not sure how well the themes mesh.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on March 29, 2013, 08:35:51 PM
Gonna go with Celia, a golem who was built a hundred years ago as a gift from the elves to the monstergirl queen. Shortly after she arrived in the monstergirl lands, however, Celia was deactivated somehow. She has only recently been reactivated and... is a bit behind the times. As far as Celia still remembers, the two lands have a fairly amiable peace between each other.

Celia requires a peculiar power source... either semen from men or milk from women, at least once every 24hrs, or she begins to shut down.

That's what I've got for Celia right now. She looks for the most part like a wood elf, except for having several runes etched into her body. Celia's got no idea what's going on, and I picture her being a bit submissive (being built to serve), so she's going to need someone who can lead her around.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Antipaladin of Calista

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on March 29, 2013, 11:28:30 PM
That's what I've got for Celia right now. She looks for the most part like a wood elf, except for having several runes etched into her body. Celia's got no idea what's going on, and I picture her being a bit submissive (being built to serve), so she's going to need someone who can lead her around.

That works out great! Dark Elves are a monster race, elves that were "corrupted by darkness" (really they started as a group of elves who paid less attention to nature and more to science and the power of magic. They were somewhat corrupted though from the over use of magic and as a result there is a large percentage of the small dark elf race that is born as both male and female, i.e. futa.) Maybe Celia could have been given to the dark elves by the light elves as a peace offering in hopes that in the event of total war that the elves could hold off on fighting until they were the only ones left. Kind of like germany and the U.S.S.R. in WWII

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Antipaladin of Calista

Wait, but didnt you say she was deactivated after she was given as a gift? She'd at least remember that part unless her entire memory was wiped from shutting down.

ShadowFox89

She's got a bit of fragmented memory from when she was initially activated. Celia remembers being built and given to one of the monstergirl queens as a gift... but not much.

Oh, and how to kick ass. But that's more programming :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Antipaladin of Calista

We need to get more people in here.

Confirming Dark Elf Sage for my character.

Monfang

The idea I had for my human character was a male who used to trade between the human and the monster kind before and/or during the war. (Depending on how long it went). He knows most of the sympathizer on both sides as well as everyone who's willing to keep their mouth's shut for items from the monster nations such as crafts. He wouldn't be much of a fighter and instead more skilled in subtrafuge and social skills to get the party though situations like that. Of course, it is unsure if his skills are enough to deal with the estrogen of the rest of the party after the gets dragged into their mess.

If that's a no go, I cna go on about my she-wolf warrioress.