What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

So, I've been playing some Crysis multiplayer. It's pretty good, better than I'd anticipated. It still suffers from a lot of the problems you'd expect, but at least in multiplayer the weakness of the suit ( like everything you do requiring energy ) makes some sort of half-assed sense.

Thing is, the majority of players I've met don't seem to understand the need to balance your suit energy. Most people will just stay in stealth while roaming around, meaning that when they get into a firefight, they have no energy to put up armor and can't hope to survive an even fight. I normally prefer stealth,  but my approach so far has been to forget about stealth completely, and using armor mode almost exclusively. It's working quite well so far. It does feel a little weak, because I still find myself losing fights I have no business losing, but that probably has more to do with me being new at it, and headshots doing immense damage.

I do wish there'd been some sort of objective-based mode, though, like in Battlefield. I think that would've made it a lot more interesting.

That said, there should be at least a few hours of entertainment in this, and ... hey, I'm not one to complain about entertainment.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on April 06, 2011, 01:15:34 PM
So, I've been playing some Crysis multiplayer. It's pretty good, better than I'd anticipated. It still suffers from a lot of the problems you'd expect, but at least in multiplayer the weakness of the suit ( like everything you do requiring energy ) makes some sort of half-assed sense.

Thing is, the majority of players I've met don't seem to understand the need to balance your suit energy. Most people will just stay in stealth while roaming around, meaning that when they get into a firefight, they have no energy to put up armor and can't hope to survive an even fight. I normally prefer stealth,  but my approach so far has been to forget about stealth completely, and using armor mode almost exclusively. It's working quite well so far. It does feel a little weak, because I still find myself losing fights I have no business losing, but that probably has more to do with me being new at it, and headshots doing immense damage.

I do wish there'd been some sort of objective-based mode, though, like in Battlefield. I think that would've made it a lot more interesting.

That said, there should be at least a few hours of entertainment in this, and ... hey, I'm not one to complain about entertainment.

? There are objective based modes. :/ I mean, they aren't unlocked at the beginning, but there are objective based modes.

Hemingway

What, like the Rush mode in Battlefield?

If so ... well, that's a cheap way of getting me to play more, but I do believe it might work.

Oh, I forgot to mention snipers before. Fortunately, many of the maps just don't favor snipers, so it hasn't been a huge problem so far. I've been in some games with a lot of snipers, and they can be highly annoying, with how much damage they do ... but it's really just a matter of not going near the obvious camper spots ( like that fskning lighthouse. )

Inkidu

Snipers, video games little cowards. ^_^.

Or more correctly people who only snipe.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

I remember back in the day, when nobody played snipers. Enemy Territory never had such problems. Or the older Battlefield games. I wonder what changed. I mean, aside from developers deciding sniper rifles were suddenly these instruments of doom, that for some reason are more damaging than, say, assault rifles. In Medal of Honor ( the reboot ), before they pulled their heads out of their asses, sniper rifles would kill you in one hit, regardless of where they hit you.

It's really bizarre, because in a lot of these games, it doesn't make sense to have snipers at all, much less running around in the streets.

Not that I'd ever accuse developers of knowing the first thing about actual weapons and actual combat, but still. This sniper fetish has to end soon.

They really aren't that bad in Crysis, though. I guess probably because everyone runs around in stealth all the time. I might try sniping, once I unlock the Gauss Rifle. Why? Electromagnets, man! It's SCIENCE and GUNS combined!

Inkidu

What a lot of people don't realize is that sniper rifles only got specialized in the later half of Vietnam. That's when you started seeing the "sniper rifle" but that doesn't mean they're any more deadly than say an M-16 or an AK-47. They're simply meant to fire rounds over large distances. A sniper rifle's uniqueness comes from things like floated barrels better scopes, being bolt action, and whatnot.

In fact the greatest sniper of Vietnam and considered by many to be the father of modern sniping (no sorry it's not The End) used the squad automatic machine gun for 'Nam.

Now unless game developers have somehow equated sniper rifle with the Barret .50 cal, then yes wherever you get hit you're going to die. That's a fifty caliber full-metal jacket. It'll take your arm off at it's effective range. The longest shot is recorded to be made by one. 1.5 miles roughly.

The truth is people snipe in games because it requires no actual tactics or skill in the game. Just wait for some guy to walk in your scope easy kill. I like like personally combat rifles and being in the fray lining up head shot after head shot and putting three rounds in the old brain box. Still, nothing is quite as satisfying as sneaking up on a sniper's nest and bashing their head in while they're all tunnel-visiony. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Bad Company 2 actually did it pretty well, what with having to account for travel time and drop. Unfortunately, they greatly exaggerated the bullet drop and underestimated the travel time, I dare say.

The only game I know of to do it accurately and well, is ARMA 2.

Ahh, but I could rant about game developers' misconceptions about sniper rifles and shotguns all night long. But I think I should probably get some sleep instead.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on April 06, 2011, 03:26:39 PM
What, like the Rush mode in Battlefield?

If so ... well, that's a cheap way of getting me to play more, but I do believe it might work.

Oh, I forgot to mention snipers before. Fortunately, many of the maps just don't favor snipers, so it hasn't been a huge problem so far. I've been in some games with a lot of snipers, and they can be highly annoying, with how much damage they do ... but it's really just a matter of not going near the obvious camper spots ( like that fskning lighthouse. )

No, there's a mode where you have to hold a point, another mode where you have to capture nodes, and another mode where regular, unsuited soldiers (I dunno if they are NPC's or not) Take on Suited guys. :D

Hemingway

I know all those. I found out I had all the modes unlocked, I think for pre-purchasing on Steam. Crash... whatever, I forget, is probably my favorite. Problem is servers switch modes between rounds.

Wolfy

Well, I traded in Crysis 2 anyway..

I got Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars for my 3DS, and Pre-ordered (And payed off) portal 2 finally.

So...:D I CAN'T ****ing wait.

Game of the year. Calling it.

Hemingway

I was just accused of cheating in Crysis 2.

... I need to rethink my whole life. I'm so good people think I'm a machine.

I'm sad now.

Yanagrl

Hello everyone! Thought I'd peek in some threads that weren't introductory.  I've just recently started playing games more than I used to, since I found the kind of games I like.  My current list of games I'm playing:

Super Mario Wii: Nintendo Wii
Zelda Phantom Hourglass: Nintendo DS
Pokemon White: Nintendo DS
Lost In Shadow: Nintendo Wii

That's what I have going on right now. :D  Lost in Shadow is pretty fun. You're basically a boy's shadow and you're trying to get back to your body and fight the dark evil that separated you from it.  It's got a lot of puzzles and a bit of action in it, so it's pretty great for me.  ;D

SpiralSpider

I've been playing zOMG at Gaiaonline more than anything else lately.
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Inkidu

I almost had a heart attack. I read in my game informer that The Witcher 2 was only being released on PC. Though I will note they didn't actually say this. They have a little blurb that says what it's coming out for. Game FAQs says it's coming out on all three consoles. Can you say, "Missed that bullet?" There's no way I would ever be able to get it for PC.

Hemingway

Man, been playing a little bit of Mafia 2, since I reinstalled it while waiting for Crysis 2. An underappreciated game. What people don't realize is it's not some GTA-style action game, it's a crime simulator!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on April 07, 2011, 05:15:06 PM
Man, been playing a little bit of Mafia 2, since I reinstalled it while waiting for Crysis 2. An underappreciated game. What people don't realize is it's not some GTA-style action game, it's a crime simulator!
Yeah, but the tricky bit is making it not actually feel like work to play. Simulators that is.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on April 07, 2011, 06:28:55 PM
Yeah, but the tricky bit is making it not actually feel like work to play. Simulators that is.

I agree that digging shallow graves and robbing stores does get tiresome. The criminal lifestyle isn't as easy as many would think.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on April 08, 2011, 05:53:26 AM
I agree that digging shallow graves and robbing stores does get tiresome. The criminal lifestyle isn't as easy as many would think.
I hear you can't even speed in Mafia II without bringing the heat down on you. At first that seems really cool, but then upon closer inspection and chasing it seems like a really bad idea.

dready

My notes on sniping:

For some games, no skill at all. For others, like smaller maps that have only one sniper's alley that can be flanked and bombarded with a grenade or just give a knife to the spine of the sniper, sniping is a skill to have. Most people think that sniping is staying put and shooting down one alley. True as it may be, that is only a part of sniping. The second part is repositioning to support teammates, or put an area on lock-down, or just because you just spotted someone making a move to take you out. Hell, when I played Black Ops for nearly four months straight I sniped with a friggin assault rifle that didn't have anything more than an acog. Near that last month, it was LMG's because the only thing better than taking out a sniper with a grenade is taking out a sniper by shooting through their cover.

As for what I'm playing, I came to realize that I have not played the newest Red Faction. I'll be renting it and playing the single player game this week... if payment has been acquired that is.

Sabby

Good luck with that ^^ its a brilliant game. Seriously one of the most polished games of recent... its not often these days ya get a game that really feels 'complete'

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on April 09, 2011, 12:53:35 AM
Good luck with that ^^ its a brilliant game. Seriously one of the most polished games of recent... its not often these days ya get a game that really feels 'complete'
I honestly thought RF: Guerrilla wasn't that great as a sandbox game. After a while it really becomes a grind. Plus the characterization wasn't all that great either. Still, if you need a game where you can blow up buildings at leisure that's the game for you. It just got really tedious for me. It's one of those games that says, "Sandbox game = lots of the same side stuff." Which itself isn't bad, but you've got to do it to progress the story. 

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on April 09, 2011, 04:02:16 PM
I honestly thought RF: Guerrilla wasn't that great as a sandbox game. After a while it really becomes a grind. Plus the characterization wasn't all that great either. Still, if you need a game where you can blow up buildings at leisure that's the game for you. It just got really tedious for me. It's one of those games that says, "Sandbox game = lots of the same side stuff." Which itself isn't bad, but you've got to do it to progress the story.

Oh, I agree. It didn't really become a deal breaker for me, but I did notice. I wish there had been more Halo style interactions though. I noticed some random encounters with Marauders. Was fun to be storming an EDF base, your pinned down inside, suddenly your radar lights up like a Christmas tree on all side and before you know it a dozen howling raiders are pouring inside, just to have a Red Faction truck burst through the wall and rebels jump out.

3 way wars baby. Halo's greatest gift to gaming.

Wolfy

Soo...Game recommendations?

I went out and bought (Hah, more like rented) Dead Space 2 and AC: Brotherhood so I could play the DLC for them (Severed and The Da Vinci Disappearence) and plan to return them tomorrow to Gamestop.

This will leave me with $92 in store credit, so I'm not sure what to get. :/ I'm pretty much played everything mainstream...

I was thinking of getting Monster Tale as I've heard good things, and maybe Dragon Quest IX or VI. :/

Or maybe getting Nintendogs and Cats and a points card for my 360. o3o