News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

[Suggestion] O/O Sub-forum note/description about authorship

Started by TwoHundredTabs, June 02, 2014, 06:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoHundredTabs

Making this its own topic.

Quote from: TwoHundredTabs
Lilias wrote:
No one should write on another member's O/Os. That's their own personal corner.

I wasn't aware that O/O threads were intended to never be posted in by anyone other than the original author. I re-viewed the General Guide and the Rules threads, but didn't see a reference to that intention. I suggest highlighting it in guide, and/or adding that policy to the sub-forum's description/tooltip.

[tr]   [td]
.............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td].............................................  [/td]   [/tr]   [tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td]
Hover over a link to see a description
[/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][/table]

Beguile's Mistress

It's one of those goes-without-saying etiquette rules I guess.  Just as you wouldn't mark up someone's advertising on the front of their store you respect the personal thread of someone else when they lay out their preferences.

You can always PM the OP with questions if you have one rather than take it up in a visible format.

TwoHundredTabs

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 02, 2014, 06:48:39 PM
It's one of those goes-without-saying etiquette rules I guess.  Just as you wouldn't mark up someone's advertising on the front of their store you respect the personal thread of someone else when they lay out their preferences.

You can always PM the OP with questions if you have one rather than take it up in a visible format.

On other forums, the O/O thread and Request thread concepts are done in the same thread, so users might be in the habit of replying to an O/O thread posted by another member (for example, to express interest or ask questions). That's why I'm suggesting that the policy be pointed out.
[tr]   [td]
.............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td].............................................  [/td]   [/tr]   [tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td]
[/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][/table]

Beguile's Mistress

It hardly ever happens here that someone posts in another's O/O thread since we have a separate forum for requests.  A simple nudge, if ever one is needed, will clear the matter up.  The directive at the top of the forum helps since everyone reads those things the first time they enter a forum.

Geraint

For most of us, the point is moot.  I am fairly certain that the general membership (as opposed to staff or perhaps mentors) is unable to post in someone else's O/O thread.  I certainly can't; nor can others I have talked to.  We look at the O/O threads of others and don't see response buttons of any kind (presumably because the forum permissions are set that way).  I've always thought that was a wonderful idea. 

There are all sorts of other places  on forum where comments can be left in public (as a nearby thread demonstrates), interest can be shown, and public interaction can occur.  And PMs are always nice. :D 

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Geraint on June 03, 2014, 12:27:49 AM
For most of us, the point is moot.  I am fairly certain that the general membership (as opposed to staff or perhaps mentors) is unable to post in someone else's O/O thread.  I certainly can't; nor can others I have talked to.  We look at the O/O threads of others and don't see response buttons of any kind (presumably because the forum permissions are set that way).  I've always thought that was a wonderful idea. 

There are all sorts of other places  on forum where comments can be left in public (as a nearby thread demonstrates), interest can be shown, and public interaction can occur.  And PMs are always nice. :D 
Thank you.  The settings I have are different so I've forgotten that some threads are inaccessible for posting. :-)

TwoHundredTabs

Quote from: Geraint on June 03, 2014, 12:27:49 AM

I somehow entirely failed to notice this. Too much editing of my own thread, I guess.

My apologies for the silly question/suggestion.
[tr]   [td]