Browsers say cookies are off?

Started by persephone325, December 02, 2012, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

This problem happened very suddenly.

I wanted to watch a movie on Windows Media Center, but it wouldn't load and I kept getting that little "XXX has stopped working" dialogue box with the options to either close the program, or check online for a solution and then close the program. It kept happening so I just restarted my computer.

Well, THAT worked. However, I then noticed I couldn't log into either facebook, youtube, or playdom. Actually, I just couldn't load the games on playdom. Youtube took me to a page, after I had signed in, that said "Your browser's cookie functionality is turned off. Please turn cookies on."

The problem is, they ARE on!

After I saw that, I cleared the cache and the cookies and tried again. But the same thing happened!! I even tried using different browsers, but had the same results.

Needless to say, I'm really pissed off and can't find a solution. Could anyone help me?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Vekseid

Really odd if it's occurring between browsers. Which ones are you using?

persephone325

I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Vekseid

Hmm, you appear to be using cookies here as far as I can tell just fine... Are you browsing Elliquiy with the same machine?

On a random lark, check to make sure your disk has some free space.

persephone325

Yes. I can access E without any problems.

And I recently just uninstalled a bunch of unused games from the hard drive. And ran a disk clean up.
I don't know.

persephone325

I just tried a bunch of different things, hoping to fix it.

Downloaded something called CCleaner, and it didn't help.
I turned off cookies, then turned them back on and it didn't help.
I restarted the computer, and it didn't help.

I super fucking pissed (pardon my language) because my extreme last resort is to just do a system restore to an out of the box state. I really want to avoid doing that because I'll lose TONS of stuff...

I'm desperate...
I don't know.

Vekseid

Is your system's clock set correctly? That might mess up E a bit too... other sites should warn you about that specifically, though, as it can be seen. It will stop some sites from functioning properly. And a system restore won't fix that. : /

persephone325

Yes, my clock is set correctly.

I've never encountered this problem before, and it makes me wonder if I somehow caught a virus. :(
I don't know.

Vekseid

Quote from: persephone325 on December 03, 2012, 07:30:01 PM
Yes, my clock is set correctly.

I've never encountered this problem before, and it makes me wonder if I somehow caught a virus. :(

Make sure to check year >_>

There might be some truth to that if it's only major sites. Have you tried a less-popular browser like Opera?

persephone325

The year is correct as well.

I'll give Opera a try. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what to do...

I'm on Opera now. I can log onto FB and YT without any problems whatsoever... This is really weird. lol I just hope it really isn't a virus.
I don't know.

Vekseid

Missed your edit.

You might want to try a more advanced CCleaner purge.

Other options are to use Malwarebytes, see if anything is hiding somewhere. ComboFix may be better, but it's best when there is someone with you who can help you handle a disaster.

persephone325

I don't know.

Oniya

It is free, but it is also very powerful.  Veks has a link to it in this thread along with the other resources he's mentioned here.  I highly recommend that you read the whole instruction page on the ComboFix link before using it, and make sure that you have your Windows installation disk handy before running the program.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

persephone325

Quote from: Oniya on December 14, 2012, 07:17:54 AM
It is free, but it is also very powerful.  Veks has a link to it in this thread along with the other resources he's mentioned here.  I highly recommend that you read the whole instruction page on the ComboFix link before using it, and make sure that you have your Windows installation disk handy before running the program.

Thank you very much. :)
I don't know.