News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Group D.  Italy vs. Uruguay

Winner: Uruguay, 1-0

What Was At Stake:  Winner advances as the Group D runner-up (since Costa Rica ended up drawing England), loser is eliminated.

The Better Team Was... Man, this was an ugly game, possibly the ugliest yet this tournament with 39 fouls, 4 yellow cards, 1 red card, and Luis Suarez taking a bite out of an Italian opponent's shoulder.   I suppose the better team was Uruguay, simply by virtue of self-destructing less than Italy did?

Man of the Match: Usually, I give this award to the player who most affects the outcome of the game in a positive way, but since there were no real standouts in this ugly game, I'll award this ironically to Claudio Marchisio (ITA) whose blatant foul in the 59th minute got him a red card and left Italy down one man for the rest of the game.

thanks, Dashenka.  :-)

Deamonbane

One a positive note, though, Buffon had one hell of a game. Suarez will likely be banned from this world cup, at least, and severely cripple Uruguay in the Round of 16
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

Group C.  Côte d'Ivoire vs. Greece

On paper, this was a snorefest of a game.  In reality, it was a nailbiter.   Ivory Coast only needed the draw in order to advance; Greece needed to win.   The momentum of the game shifted in the 42nd minute when Samaris scored for Greece; then Wilfried turned the tables back in the Ivorians' favor in the 74th minute with a beautiful pass by Gervinho.  Things looked grim for the Greeks; then, in stoppage time, a foul on forward Georgios Samaras set up a penalty shot that Samaras neatly knocked into the net.  After the US match against Portugal, I can certainly empathize with the Côte d'Ivoire fans, who had the rug pulled out abruptly from under them at the very last minute.

Winner: Greece, 2-1

What Was At Stake:  Winner advances to face Costa Rica (assuming a Colombia win, which was the case) in the round of 16; loser is eliminated.

The Better Team Was... Of their three games, this was by far the best Greek performance.  Ivory Coast simply looked frustrated as they were shut down again and again.  And as for the Greeks, they didn't simply "park the bus" in front of their goal, but attacked smartly, pushing the Africans off-balance.

Man of the Match: An argument could be made for Samaras, but I'll give this to the Greek defense for smart and capable defending, for denying Yaya Toure, Gervinho, and Didier Drogba the opportunity to move their team forward in the tournament.

Remiel

You know, I completely forgot to say yesterday that I admired the class with which Neymar handled himself after being shoved out of bounds by the Cameroonian player.  He refused to respond to the insult, instead letting his actions on the field speak for him.   That is the mark of a true world-class player.

Kitsunetsuki

I was quite impressed with Greece today...I did not see that coming! But, I'm happy for them. :)

Neymar only looks like a brat...he's really a class act!
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Davion

Quote from: Kitsunetsuki on June 24, 2014, 07:44:41 PM
I was quite impressed with Greece today...I did not see that coming! But, I'm happy for them. :)

Neymar only looks like a brat...he's really a class act!

With Spain and Italy out, I am soooooooo content.

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: Davion on June 24, 2014, 07:48:08 PM
With Spain and Italy out, I am soooooooo content.
I concur. XD
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Davion

Kitsunetsuki

Vai Brasil! O Brasil é o número um!

;D My family has never rooted for USA! haha...
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Phobetor

USA first needs to make it to the Round of 16 lol

Ya'll might just be wasting your breath if Ghana comes out on top.  ::)
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Aleph

Quote from: Remiel on June 24, 2014, 05:32:45 PM
Man of the Match: An argument could be made for Samaras, but I'll give this to the Greek defense

I say this as a Glasgow Rangers fan (Samaras plays for Celtic), but I can't stand Samaras, something about the way he carries this continual expression of a dog that's been asked to explain Capitalism.

Quote from: Remiel
You know, I completely forgot to say yesterday that I admired the class with which Neymar handled himself after being shoved out of bounds by the Cameroonian player.  He refused to respond to the insult, instead letting his actions on the field speak for him.   That is the mark of a true world-class player.

To be honest, I think it's really the mark of a grown up. Having said that, there are talents on his level who haven't advanced that far yet (yes, I'm looking at you Balotelli) so I still consider it a very good sign.

-A

Deamonbane

Quote from: Kitsunetsuki on June 24, 2014, 08:32:53 PM
Vai Brasil! O Brasil é o número um!

;D My family has never rooted for USA! haha...
É Isso ai (insert foul word here)! Da-Lhe Brasil!
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Deamonbane

Messi Hair is carrying the Argentina team...

Remiel

Group F.  Argentina vs. Nigeria

Winner: Argentina, 3-2

What Was At Stake:  Although there was a slight possibility of Iran advancing instead of Nigeria, this match was largely ceremonial, determining who would win the group.

The Better Team Was... Argentina, who played (I thought) the best of its three games so far.  I still think they have so far failed to live up to their billing, but as long as Messi remains healthy, perhaps they don't have to worry so much?

Man of the Match: Who else? Lionel Messi.  Although Ahmed Musa's (NGR) two goals were beautiful.

My thoughts and condolences go out to those who were killed or crippled in today's bombing in Nigeria.

Scribbles

So far, every team I've cheered on has lost!

Only one thing left to do...

"Go Brazil! Woo!"
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Remiel

Group E.  France vs. Ecuador

Winner: Tie, 0-0

Man, this was a snoozer of a game.  I thought Benzema was going to go wild on the Ecuadorians, but instead he couldn't seem to find the net.  I wish I had watched Shaqiri score his hat trick instead over in the Switzerland-Honduras match.

What Was At Stake:  France are advancing and all but have the group locked up; Ecuador were fighting for survival.  They needed to win in order to advance, but failed to do so and are eliminated.

The Better Team Was... Neither team really impressed me in this game.  I'd say the scoreline was deserved.

Man of the Match: Alexander Dominguez (ECU), who made a couple of good (but not great) saves.

CastorTroy

I've been covering the tournament for a few football magazines/newspapers (I freelance as a football writer). One of the teams I've written a lot about has been the Ivory Coast. I've written about them so much in the past year-2 years that I've grown quite emotionally attached to them (to the point where I'm quite close to some of the players due to interviews and whatnot). Imagine my heart last night when they were knocked out in such a cruel, cruel way - I was close to tears!

That aside, brilliant tournament so far, even more pleasurable than roleplaying. ;)
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Current Roleplays: My Crown Jewel | Familial Ties | Daddy’s Out (Completed) |

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 25, 2014, 11:53:29 AM
Messi Hair is carrying the Argentina team...
Better Messi Hair than Suarez Teeth!! ;D
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Remiel

Quote from: CastorTroy on June 25, 2014, 06:13:57 PM
I've been covering the tournament for a few football magazines/newspapers (I freelance as a football writer). One of the teams I've written a lot about has been the Ivory Coast. I've written about them so much in the past year-2 years that I've grown quite emotionally attached to them (to the point where I'm quite close to some of the players due to interviews and whatnot). Imagine my heart last night when they were knocked out in such a cruel, cruel way - I was close to tears!

I can imagine, Castor Troy.  That was an emotional roller coaster of a match.

Remiel

Also, how FIFA will likely punish Suarez

TheWizardofOz

Quote from: CastorTroy on June 25, 2014, 06:13:57 PM

That aside, brilliant tournament so far, even more pleasurable than roleplaying. ;)

I really don't see why they just can't introduce challenges (maybe 3 or so per match) for things such as penalties and red cards.

They've done goal-line technology, challenges are the next step me thinks

Deamonbane

*nods* That really the only thing missing. For faulty offside calls too.

Remiel

Any other Americans watching the US-Germany game?

Kitsunetsuki

Yes, I'm ready to watch USA & Germany (at work, but we've got it on the TVs here). Though, I only root for USA if they're not playing Brazil ;)
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Remiel

Quote from: Kitsunetsuki on June 26, 2014, 10:48:08 AM
Yes, I'm ready to watch USA & Germany (at work, but we've got it on the TVs here). Though, I only root for USA if they're not playing Brazil ;)

LOL! Fair enough.