SMF 2.0 RC1 has been released

Started by Vekseid, February 05, 2009, 01:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

...so we will be upgrading in the coming week or two. I am going to be upgrading and applying the intended modifications to another forum to make sure everything works smoothly first.

Yes this means we are getting search back.

TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING

1: The arcade will be going away temporarily. - and it's not coming back with all of the games. If someone could compile a list of desired games to keep, that would be awesomesauce. Bonus points for saving the associated .swf files.
2: My Topics is getting replaced with a dedicated mod. That means I'm going to look into the possibility of clearing people's notification lists so we are treated less like spammers. I will make a more pertinent announcement about this after the upgrade.
3: I need to shut down the shoutbox in order to archive it. It will be returning better and more powerful (ie, AJAX : ) than before. Don't worry : )
4: The Youtube mod is also getting replaced. With a far superior modification. It looks like it will do a number on the old links though.
5: Since the theme is my own design I'm going to have to recode that (again) - will probably also take the opportunity to redo the chat >_>

That seems to be just about everything from the user end. The upgrade is going to bring the forums down for a -long- time, so I'm going to try to figure out how I can cheat first.

Haibane

Sounds good. Can you be more specific about what a " - long - " time is, please?

Psi

I have that mod going myself - the bookmarks one, works ok but I haven't tested it on anything large scale?
Want some screenshots uploaded of it in use Veks?   I have one with two threads currently in it.

I might have to run the small update from beta 4 over mine this weekend.

Another option to consider in future if you like the idea of it.

PM Informer: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1202

Aeval

*SB going(temporarily)..some games going..forums down for a long time...Aeval thinks she is going to cry and go in withdrawal! Never been in withdrawal before..not so sure she wants to go there now!*

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Vekseid

Quote from: Haibane on February 05, 2009, 03:25:12 AM
Sounds good. Can you be more specific about what a " - long - " time is, please?

Several hours : /

WyldRanger

Quote from: Vekseid on February 05, 2009, 11:06:10 AM

Just let us know before it happens so we can all brace ourselves for the withdrawal symptoms!  :o :-X

Paradox

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now-

Do we really need the shoutbox archive? How often do people actually go back and read anything beyond the last few pages? The archive does back over 2 years. It's approaching twenty-four thousand pages; isn't most of that just wasting space?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Caity

The My Topics update looks promising.  :)

Vekseid

Quote from: Paradox on February 05, 2009, 11:38:29 AM
I've been meaning to ask this for a while now-

Do we really need the shoutbox archive? How often do people actually go back and read anything beyond the last few pages? The archive does back over 2 years. It's approaching twenty-four thousand pages; isn't most of that just wasting space?

I'm going to archive it into a thread, actually.

Duchess

Oniya

I was thinking a simple text file, maybe broken up by year or month - enough that someone could use the browser's 'Find' function to locate something, but not too fancy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Paradox

Quote from: Vekseid on February 05, 2009, 11:56:35 AM
I'm going to archive it into a thread, actually.

Oo, good idea!

Okay; thanks for clearing that up for me.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

TanaSilver

Quote from: Vekseid on February 05, 2009, 11:06:10 AM

Several hours, whew! When you said "long," I figured you meant weeks.

BTW, Paradox, the quote you have under your name is my favorite line from Hitchiker's Guide. Well chosen!
O/O

Chevalier des Poissons

QuoteThe arcade will be going away temporarily.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I see no reason in life anymore. My world is falling apart.

*Suicides*
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Vekseid

Quote from: coglio001 on February 05, 2009, 12:05:33 PM
Several hours, whew! When you said "long," I figured you meant weeks.

Well if I don't find a way to speed it up it could take a day : /

Paradox

For the sake of all these upgrades, I'm sure we could handle a day.

Sarena

:o  I thought a -long- time meant days or weeks...and was very depressed at the prospet.

*nods*  Yes, a day or hours is a much better time frame to cope with.  *goes to stock up on withdrawal easing items...chocolate, caffiene...* Okay...I'm ready.
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Ket

-coughs- 

Could you so kindly do said upgrade between the 17th and 20th of February?  That way I won't have to worry about withdrawls because I won't really be here anyways.

-giggles-

-runs- 

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Aragem

I'm glad that this place will get an update.   ;D

ShrowdedPoet

Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Will

I think that's a seperate, server-related issue.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

ShrowdedPoet

Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Vekseid

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on February 05, 2009, 06:14:08 PM
Goodbye lag?

Only a little bit, though I'll be doing more optimizations after we upgrade.

Will take a new server to kill them entirely.

Scott

I wish I could nab a server from work and get it to you. We've got 4 or 5 fairly new Dell Poweredge Servers sitting around collecting dust. With my luck though I'd get caught, and I wouldn't want to bring on the bad Karma.

Vekseid

Quote from: Scott on February 06, 2009, 02:07:46 AM
I wish I could nab a server from work and get it to you. We've got 4 or 5 fairly new Dell Poweredge Servers sitting around collecting dust. With my luck though I'd get caught, and I wouldn't want to bring on the bad Karma.

Would still have to get it to me and then pay for colo costs :-p