We Could Be Heroes; A Sexy Superhero RP 2nd Arc Recruitment! MALES NEEDED!

Started by Vergil Tanner, May 10, 2017, 09:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeflint

I did indeed mean that.

Thank you for the clarification. 😊

So no fancy tricks to start, things he can already pick up, limited to the "natural" limit of the object, no extra oomph to his throws.

I'm assuming he can't hold something indefinitely, like that exercise where you basically try and hold a weight aloft as long as possible. At least something that's not incredibly light, like a dart.

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes

NightLux

Quote from: jeflint on May 10, 2017, 01:53:34 PM
What are the specifics of her gravity manipulation? We talking like gravataona from Buzz Lightyear or Graviton from Marvel? What's the limit to her powers? Can she make herself and others fly? Can she make herself so dense she's physically untouchable? Does she suck matter into her? 😊

Technically altering gravity means she's altering the mass of something and that mass has to go... somewhere.  At first glance it sounds cool but its really a nasty, nasty power if you think about it.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

LtFox

Quote from: jeflint on May 10, 2017, 01:12:15 PM
Very valid points. Our other telekinetic did say he didn't have fine control of his power or range. So that is a difference.

Fox what limit of strength are you thinking of applying your Telekinesis? Like Volkswagen beetle to start or smaller? I know tanks and the like is probably going to be out of league. Spidey when he started, and he's pretty much the pinnacle of street level heroes, was a tonish until he got the symbiote suit to allow him to lift a bus.

Yeah, Vincent's telekinesis basically works like a skintight field around his body, that can extend to things he's currently touching.  He moves this field with his mind, so his physical strength isn't relevant at all.  For weight limitations I'm thinking a small car-ish, yes.  Divided among all the things he's touching.  So it's not really super strong as such, but on the upside he only needs to lightly touch something to swing it around like a pompom. 

He can basically lift that car with his pinky, and and then toss it, but his power's effect would cut out the instant he released the car from his hand.  Since the TK field surround him, it can also functionally block an equivalent amount of force Vincent can put out.  And as he moves the field with his mind, basically, he can use it to push his body beyond it's normal limits and into impossible manouvers if he has to, but will really, really hate doing it since it will fuck his body up something fierce if he forces it to move impossibly via TK.
O/O

In Sword, Truth.

jeflint

Quote from: NightLux on May 10, 2017, 02:02:13 PM
Technically altering gravity means she's altering the mass of something and that mass has to go... somewhere.  At first glance it sounds cool but its really a nasty, nasty power if you think about it.

That's what I was trying to ascertain. I grew up reading comics so I basically can get a just of ideas if they tell me kinda what character they were thinking about. 😊

jeflint

Quote from: LtFox on May 10, 2017, 02:03:41 PM
Yeah, Vincent's telekinesis basically works like a skintight field around his body, that can extend to things he's currently touching.  He moves this field with his mind, so his physical strength isn't relevant at all.  For weight limitations I'm thinking a small car-ish, yes.  Divided among all the things he's touching.  So it's not really super strong as such, but on the upside he only needs to lightly touch something to swing it around like a pompom. 

He can basically lift that car with his pinky, and and then toss it, but his power's effect would cut out the instant he released the car from his hand.  Since the TK field surround him, it can also functionally block an equivalent amount of force Vincent can put out.  And as he moves the field with his mind, basically, he can use it to push his body beyond it's normal limits and into impossible manouvers if he has to, but will really, really hate doing it since it will fuck his body up something fierce if he forces it to move impossibly via TK.

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, but being able to lift a car AND take the equivalent damage could be a bit OP. Luckily we don't have a brick.

I'm curious about pushing his body bit. How so?

NightLux

Quote from: jeflint on May 10, 2017, 02:04:13 PM
That's what I was trying to ascertain. I grew up reading comics so I basically can get a just of ideas if they tell me kinda what character they were thinking about. 😊

I was just thinking about the science of it.  Either you're moving mass (which will be messy, bloody and horrifying going either way) or you're changing the constants of the universe in a small area which has its own messy, blood and horrifying effects if something reaches across what is essentially an event horizon where the effect stops.

I mean, say she lowers the constant to allow her to fly, but as she lifts off someone punches her.  The first, as it contacts her body, suddenly has less mass, so all that force from the rest of his arm is going to crunch it like a can, breaking bones, tearing muscles, etc.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

jeflint

Quote from: NightLux on May 10, 2017, 02:10:46 PM
I was just thinking about the science of it.  Either you're moving mass (which will be messy, bloody and horrifying going either way) or you're changing the constants of the universe in a small area which has its own messy, blood and horrifying effects if something reaches across what is essentially an event horizon where the effect stops.

I mean, say she lowers the constant to allow her to fly, but as she lifts off someone punches her.  The first, as it contacts her body, suddenly has less mass, so all that force from the rest of his arm is going to crunch it like a can, breaking bones, tearing muscles, etc.

Sasha shrinks to an inch tall... Science has little meaning here. 😜

NightLux

Quote from: jeflint on May 10, 2017, 02:14:00 PM
Sasha shrinks to an inch tall... Science has little meaning here. 😜

I hadn't gotten down to those characters yet.  She could always be compressing the space between atoms (the way MCU did Ant-Man).  Which would have its own fun side effects.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

LtFox

Quote from: jeflint on May 10, 2017, 02:08:33 PM
I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, but being able to lift a car AND take the equivalent damage could be a bit OP. Luckily we don't have a brick.

I'm curious about pushing his body bit. How so?

Well, it's not so much being straight up tougher, but if someone tosses a bench at him or something, Vincent's TK would grab it the instant it made contact with the field surrounding him, stopping it there.  It's why I said he can block an equivalent amount. He's not tough. His TK can just stop thing it's strong enough to move from hitting him, mostly.  Depending on what kind of attack it is, it could still fuck him up badly if it's not something his TK can easily grab.  Kind of a similar deal as with Accelerator from To Aru, except nowhere near that broken.

As for the body bit, well, his TK field that he uses to lift and move stuff always surrounds his own body, and he can use it in a similar manner to basically body puppet himself.  As you would expect, that will destroy his body the same as any other person violently forced to move at speeds/bend in strange ways beyond their limits.  He also isn't currently (or in the foreseeable future, as things are wont to go) good enough to use it to fly.
O/O

In Sword, Truth.

jeflint

Quote from: NightLux on May 10, 2017, 02:18:19 PM
I hadn't gotten down to those characters yet.  She could always be compressing the space between atoms (the way MCU did Ant-Man).  Which would have its own fun side effects.

Nope, Sasha loses weight, mass, area volume and the like. So when she gets smaller she gets lighter, slower relatively speaking, and doesn't hit any harder.

It's 100 calories an inch. From 4'10" her max height to 1" it's like running a marathon. Going down then up is 2 marathons. I worked it out to something like 200 Whoppers or something round trip.

Sasha's "side effect" is she's a bottomless pit now when it comes to eating.

jeflint

Quote from: LtFox on May 10, 2017, 02:22:51 PM
Well, it's not so much being straight up tougher, but if someone tosses a bench at him or something, Vincent's TK would grab it the instant it made contact with the field surrounding him, stopping it there.  It's why I said he can block an equivalent amount. He's not tough. His TK can just stop thing it's strong enough to move from hitting him, mostly.  Depending on what kind of attack it is, it could still fuck him up badly if it's not something his TK can easily grab.  Kind of a similar deal as with Accelerator from To Aru, except nowhere near that broken.

As for the body bit, well, his TK field that he uses to lift and move stuff always surrounds his own body, and he can use it in a similar manner to basically body puppet himself.  As you would expect, that will destroy his body the same as any other person violently forced to move at speeds/bend in strange ways beyond their limits.  He also isn't currently (or in the foreseeable future, as things are wont to go) good enough to use it to fly.

Let's discuss this body puppet cause if I'm confused I'm sure the boss will be.

jeflint

Quote from: Blinkin on May 10, 2017, 02:23:57 PM
Hmmm... this will be hard to explain.

What she can do will depend upon both the mass of the item being manipulated and how much energy that it takes to effect it. Her primary, first ability will be altering the direction of "down." She could, for example, turn her own personal down to a ceiling, or a wall, etc. She can touch someone, or something, and give the same effect for a short time. For example, she can make a softball fly up to the ceiling because, for the softball, down is the direction of the ceiling. She could grant an averaged sized person the ability to alter the direction of gravity for a few minutes. She could probably do the same for an object up to about man sized or mass, but that would be her limit.

Later on, she will learn how to alter the gravity field to decrease or increase gravity. She will also suffer the effects as it'll be an area or specific object that she can effect. She might be able to increase gravity to 10G, but she'll flatten herself in the process. She might be able to cut the weight of a VW bug by about half.

In time, flight may be possible, but she would have to learn how to control her power a lot more finely to keep from killing herself.

She might be able toeffect the gravity around her as a sort of force field, but again, she has to be careful to not injur herself in the process.

Her weaknesses are fairly normal. She is effected by whatever she does. If she increases gravity in a 10 foot area, her body is also effected.

Using the powers draws directly from her own energy, so she has to consume serious amounts of caleries to fuel it or risk something like a diabetic low glucose effect.

Overall, the range of eventual powers will be for specific targets that she must touch, short ermed duration and has a heavy price for her physically.

Any of that make sense?

So what this sounds like, on a simplistic version is vertigo via inducing a localized gravamtic change.

That I can see being fun. But I think we'll need clarification one how it can be "passed" to people. What's the time limit, what's the mass limitation? Could she in theory make a semi fly into the air by anchoring a gravity bomb in the sky. How far away can this field exist?

So it sounds like our highschool is starting an eating team.

Let's work on the distrotion aspect before we get to flight and other fun aspects of this power

jeflint

Just a point of clarification. The power of the game is meant to be lower level. Iron fist or any of the defenders would be a great example of early powers.

Question, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Wild Cat, Black Canary, Arrow.

Any heroes who deal normally with street toughs. We're not JLA or Avengers. Another great example the legion of side kicks from the legion in DC. Porcupine Pete is a great street level character.

jeflint

Quote from: Blinkin on May 10, 2017, 03:43:15 PM
Let me start with I'm not a DC or Marvel expert. The last time I saw a comic book was the mid 90's and Darkhawk... if that tells you anything at all. It's just difficult to associate comic book super heroes when your entire range of sensory imput excludes the visual spectrum.

If you're asking for a completely scientific explanation of how it works, I'm in the wrong universe... to me, super-powers and the supernatural rarely cooperate with the scientific method. This is the eason why I have a love/hate relationship with the Star Trek universe. I love the story of how people deal with adversity and respond to the human condition.... I hate the fact that 90% of the world has latched onto the gadgets and "how" it works instead of the character using said toy. Why get engaged in the story when there's a neato-cool toy in the scene?

Anyway... The whole range of eventual powers involves altering the gravatonic field in a extremely localized manner. Mass does play a vital role in what can be effected; the most that she's going to be able to deal with will be roughly man-sized, or about 200 pounds. So, no semi-trucks flying off into space... it's unlikely that a jukebox will fly off into space for that matter. The power requires a focus, something in which the gravity field attaches to. For example, if you are standing at the near end of a hallway and your gravity field changes from the earth's core to... say the far wall of the corridor, then you're perception of "down" becomes that far wall and you will fall in that direction.  If the hallway is 100 feet long, then you face a 100 foot deep pit... something like a 10 story elevator shaft, I suppose. The effect takes place with a touch and a moment of concentration and the duration is based more or less on the size of the object being affected. For a average man, it's not ging to exceed 3 or 4 minutes if she's not hanging onto him. For a softball, it may last an hour. For a refrigerator, probably a few seconds at best.

The second phase of the power is effecting the amount of force gravity  exserts. In an example above concerning punching a weightless person and where the force goes... I'm thinking about punching a leaf and where that force goes. The leaf doesn't become so much goo, it's puched away from the focus of the energy being discharged. If you increase the amount of force...

She could, as an example, punch a guy in the gut, altering the gravity field at the point of impact in the direction of the punch, then the effect looks like you just punched a guy across a room. If you increase the gravitational force at the same time, then said man could concievely hit the "ground" at 3 or 4 times the normal gravity. Instead of a 200 pound man falling 20 or 30 feet to the ground, it's something like a 800 pounds hitting the ground. and all of that force has to go someplace... a brick wall is quite a bit harder than the human body.

So, yes nasty in certain circomstances, mearly frustrating in others.

We all have our strengths. 😊 And I'm not going to worry about the science. Sasha's power breaks all the laws, so a gravity manipulation power doesn't need to follow the rules either. But that said we don't want Magneto walking around as a player character. A guy who can move planets is WAY outta our league. 😊

While I like the thought of expanding your powers I think it's best we start with what you'd like to see you character do first. THEN we add in the cool black holes and flight and stuff. 😊

So she affects 200ish pound folks and needs an anchor point to pull people in that direction.

There's a mental condition, sorry for randomness, where it seems like things are tops turvy, the person experiences the feeling they're on the ground and will fall into the sky and fall forever. This power sounds like an actual version of this mental condition.

And if you'll allow me, Zarya from Overwatch fires a gravity ball that sucks the enemy team into it.

Am I right in explaining it as your character fires a gravity ball and person or objects up too 200 lbs is now hurtling in the direction, until it reaches the anomaly, and colides. That the cost of this is a high use of calories and great concertation for your character?

keyotess

Sex:  Female
Position: Student
Archetype:Bookworm and Athlete: baseball, soccer, basketball
Power Theme: Duplication

I thought about making her a new teacher or a teacher's aide, but not sure how she would be able to interact with students on a balanced level, so another student.

She is a very active person, running around and engaging in friendly competitions, but she loves reading about history.  She isn't a social butterfly, but she willingly joins groups.  Of course if you give her a book on history and she can forget the world around her exists, this makes her perpetually late.
By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

jeflint

So duplication... we talking like making a clone of yourself or multiple clones of yourself or are we talking like a power to duplicate others powers, that probably won't fly, or the power to copy an item and make an exact duplicate of it? :)

We'll need to flesh that one out but it's certainly a power we don't have yet. It can be pretty powerful but it can also be a very fun power if it's limited correctly.

A lot of the characters in this group are socially active so if you wanted to be a teacher, say a college student who's a T.A. you could certainly interact with them. You'd be almost the same age as the students, I think only a couple of them are under 18 with them about to turn in the next month or so in game.

Besides the big thing that happens after we nail down your power is we figure out how you know each of the students. It doesn't have to be an indepth relationship but everyone in the game knows everyone. :) It's a fun process getting to know each of the players and how your characters will interact.

keyotess

QuoteSo duplication... we talking like making a clone of yourself or multiple clones of yourself or are we talking like a power to duplicate others powers, that probably won't fly, or the power to copy an item and make an exact duplicate of it? :)

I am talking about making clones of herself, one mind with multiple bodies running around.

QuoteA lot of the characters in this group are socially active so if you wanted to be a teacher, say a college student who's a T.A. you could certainly interact with them. You'd be almost the same age as the students, I think only a couple of them are under 18 with them about to turn in the next month or so in game.

I would be up for being a TA, if we can make it balanced.  In that case I think she would have only been there one year, working as TA for history teacher and possibly helping out with athletics, either informal clubs or formal teams.  This would be her first time being a TA and still has several years before becoming a full teacher.
By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

jeflint

For some reason that series sounds familiar it might be on my to read list.

That might have been more poor use of trying to explain how the power worked as you were describing it. That said the Reverse Lashing is very much what Zarya does with her ultimate, again it's a video game, but it fires a ball and then it draws targets and items towards that location. Which by all rights is a pretty standard use of Gravity Manipulation by making an area highly dense/massive/attractive whichever way you want to describe it.

Vergil would have to make the final call but for some reason the first one seems to be more powerful to me. The changing of the maginitude implies like you're messing with the kinetics to me. Again that might be my limited understanding of the book you're coming from.

Sadly my book reading has fallen off dramatically in the last couple of years.

Duplication is a power we could probably swing. You'd have to limit it to how many you could use, can't have an army of your T.A. off the bat. Probably have to have some other disadvantages of when you're clones are apart from you such as both feel the same sensations or something.

Duplication is a power that comes dangerously close to giving you 2 characters so we'd have to govern it carefully. :)

As for a T.A. I think Vergil will agree that's pretty easy to do. :P

Sasha and Cass for instance are in tons of clubs and a number of the girls are cheerleaders so you'd run into the girls if you did any chaperoning and athletics. And if she offered her services tutoring that gives her another access to meeting the students. Heck even if she's a local and works out in the gym close to school she'd run across Dante, occasionally, Sasha and Marcos to name a few. You wanna be a T.A. we'll get you in. :)

Sally Aces

Oooo, keyotess, make her the girl's softball coach :) Maybe even a graduate of the high school back to do her student teaching and she may know some of us when she was an upperclassman and we were freshmen or such.

jeflint

I don't think any of our girls PLAY softball... Cass and Sasha are into extreme sports, for the challenge/competition and most of the other girls are on the cheer squad. Nad might be convinced to join but she used to play football/soccer.

keyotess

Jeflint
QuoteDuplication is a power we could probably swing. You'd have to limit it to how many you could use, can't have an army of your T.A. off the bat. Probably have to have some other disadvantages of when you're clones are apart from you such as both feel the same sensations or something.

Duplication is a power that comes dangerously close to giving you 2 characters so we'd have to govern it carefully. :)

As for a T.A. I think Vergil will agree that's pretty easy to do. :P

Sasha and Cass for instance are in tons of clubs and a number of the girls are cheerleaders so you'd run into the girls if you did any chaperoning and athletics. And if she offered her services tutoring that gives her another access to meeting the students. Heck even if she's a local and works out in the gym close to school she'd run across Dante, occasionally, Sasha and Marcos to name a few. You wanna be a T.A. we'll get you in. :)

Yeah, I understand, she would have to build up the number of clones she can create and as for sharing sensations, that could create lots of fun RP moments. ;)

And lets go TA!

Sally Aces:
QuoteOooo, keyotess, make her the girl's softball coach :) Maybe even a graduate of the high school back to do her student teaching and she may know some of us when she was an upperclassman and we were freshmen or such.

That is an excellent idea Sally!  Having her a returning student helps create those connections!

Jeflint:
QuoteI don't think any of our girls PLAY softball... Cass and Sasha are into extreme sports, for the challenge/competition and most of the other girls are on the cheer squad. Nad might be convinced to join but she used to play football/soccer.

Softball or an appropriate athletic activity, maybe even involved with the cheerleaders.  :)

jeflint

Sally Aces

I can change sports, but I had said Nora was the softball team's captain. I also will have her be a country girl, her family owning a bunch of farmland in the county. So ATVing, hunting and extreme sports are cool with her.

*smiles*

Happy to help Keytoness :) heck, I can see Nora having a whole hero worship thing with your TA...

Oh! Is it ok for me to say Nora has 2 older brothers, one who was a star QB a few years ago and is now studying at West Point where he QBs for the Army team. The other who stayed local and now works the farm with her dad? The eldest could be 21 and the other 19, so he'd be another known quantity. He was more a basketball player/4H kind of guy

jeflint

Sasha is the scuba diving captain, Grace is cheerleader squad so having Nora as softball is great option. We need more sports.

If you're into extreme sports Sasha and Cass are your girls. The two are very competitive and go rock climbing, kick boxing, white water rafting, bungee jumping.

I don't see having a pair of brothers as being bad. Cass, Grace and Sasha have dated almost everyone in school, with Sasha trailing since she only dates boys, so it gives you another point of contact. Sasha has a list of 30 names she's dated and has 2 NPCs basically associated with her.

keyotess

Sally Aces:
QuoteI can change sports, but I had said Nora was the softball team's captain. I also will have her be a country girl, her family owning a bunch of farmland in the county. So ATVing, hunting and extreme sports are cool with her.

She can actually be involved with both, even without duplicating herself. ;)  Maybe she got shoehorned into being Softball coach because the previous one up and quit suddenly.  And she can still help with the Cheerleaders. ;)