One of two small group games: Exalted or D&D 3.5/Pathfinder

Started by kongming, July 27, 2014, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Empyrean

Question: What will be the base for the Alchemical's entry into Creation? As in, where are we starting? Would they have claimed Denandsor for example?

Rajah

Quote from: Empyrean on August 08, 2014, 03:47:24 PMWould they have claimed Denandsor for example?

"Not that I really want to go to Denandsor or anything."  :P
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Empyrean

:p

Although, the Jewel of the True Self from it's manse might be helpful against the Wyld.

Empyrean

Here's my first draft of my character, minus the mechanical bits. And a picture of her unarmored.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
History and Personality: Transcendentally Elegant Insight awakened to life in the metropolis of Qune several years ago. From the moment she drew breath, Insight knew that she was meant to help her people in their time of greatest crisis. She knew that there was something momentous to the times and she wanted to be a part of it. She didn't know how, at first though. Insight knew only that Autochthonia was in danger and that it was the role of a Champion to protect the people in times of crisis. Her sense of heroic duty and destiny drove her out early into the Reaches. She knew that Jarish faced danger from without and within, but she felt that in the Reaches she could do the most good for her people. She could secure needed resources, battle gremlins, and express her faith in the Maker by helping to restore his vital functions. At heart, Insight is a fervent believer in the mercy and goodness of Autochthon. She strives to be an inspiration to her fellows, trying to exemplify Jarishite faith as a panacea to her world's ills. She strongly believes in the concepts of love, romance, and faith both as personal guidelines for herself and as means to try and save her world.

Insight spent the first two years of her life accompanying Harvester and Conductor patrols on trips into the Reaches. She realized early that standing and fighting wasn't her strong suit. She preferred a light and flexible approach to combat, and devoted herself to learning the Thousand Wounds Gear style so she could better protect her people. She would have happily continued to protect her people in the Reaches but she was recalled by the Tripartite for a more urgent matter. A Voidbringer sect, long festering within the nation, launched a direct attack on Jast. They stormed the Tripartite Assembly Hall, killed the High Celebrant, and attempted a complete takeover. Insight, responding to the distress call along with all available Champions, helped to drive off the Voidbringers, their gremlins, and the Apostates who had commanded them. Insight was personally responsible for two dozen confirmed kills and criticially wounding Final Gasp of the Forlorn Gear, a vicious Apostate.

Jarish went into a period of reflection and inward focus after the attack, and Insight found herself working with the preceptors a great deal to root out heresy. She found that the memories of one of her past lives helped her, but she also found herself growing detached from the people, and this worried her. She feared the siren song of Clarity and began cultivating mortal relationships to avoid it.

This led her to Chiara. Chiara was a young lector assigned to assist her in her heretic-hunting duties. The two became close, then became lovers. Insight would have been happy to spent the rest of Chiara's days with her, pursuing heresy and helping their nation. But as their investigations deepened, they uncovered more heresy. More Voidbringers. More evidence of Autochthon's looming demise. They did what they could to help their people but it never seemed to be enough. They felt despair closing in.

Then Yugash opened a portal to the long-forgotten origin world: Creation. Insight was hesitant at first. She didn't think they should tamper with the holy land of their distant ancestors. But when the reports started coming back of Creation's woes, she realized that it too was a world that needed heroes. She came to believe that the two worlds could save each other. With the creation of a new assembly of Alchemicals at home, Insight found herself transferred to the Yugashi project as part of Jarish's contribution to the effort. She quickly made a name for herself as a capable warrior and inspirational leader. Her only request was that Chiara be allowed to come with her. However, when Insight was assigned to the newest strike team to enter Creation, she learned that they would be separated. Insight strives to do her duty but part of her mind is always back in Autochthonia with her love.

Past Lives: There was once a lector in Gulak who looked upon the heretical ideas brought about by the mixing of clades and took a stand. She used her plays and her boundless charisma to rally the Populat and her fellow lectors. She carried the flame of orthodoxy and righteousness to the highest levels of Gulaki governance and started a reformist movement that convinced the High Celebrant to institute sweeping changes that restored orthodoxy in the name of the Great Maker.

A regulator in Estasia once discovered a secret club amongst the Venatore that conspired to coopt the Scholars in order to produce new and extravagantly costly weapons. This young man risked career and even his very life to expose the club and bring the renegade Venatore to justice. And he succeeded, even at the cost of an eye and an arm, in bringing them down.

Once there was a preceptor in Nurad, who, on a hunch, followed the suspicions of a lector about a certain foreman. It took months of investigation and piecing together clues, but eventually the aging preceptor followed the trail to a Voidbringer cult nested deep within the Populat. Rather than rally the regulators and risk open war in the streets, the preceptor subverted a cultist and discovered where they were assembling. Then he redirected a flow of molten metal upon the cultists and removed the cult in a single strike though he died in the process.

A Harvester in Jarish was on a routine foraging mission in the Reaches when her team came under assault by gremlins. The gremlins were fierce and sudden, destroying half the party before they knew what was on them. The Harvester, seeing her friends die, grabbed a power conduit in her bare hand, and touched the floor of the chamber with her other, using her own body to create an electric circuit that fried the gremlins and saved her team.

Intimacies: Chiara (love)
                  Romantic Idealism (positive)
                  Autochthon (admiration and religious devotion)
                  Runel (admiration and religious devotion)
                  The Void and it's champions (hatred)
                  Creation (deep concern)

kongming

"Minus the mechanical bits". In a game about Alchemicals. Also, do I see a Gremlins reference with the electrocution of the gremlins at the end there? Either way, your character history looks good there.

Anyway, to answer the previous question, the Gate that opened was at Lord's Crossing Dominion. There are Autochthonian outposts at Arjuf, Chanos and Werck. It appears that what was once the Imperial City is still inhabited - it was one of the warded places that is currently free from corruption, and if someone could make peaceful contact, a lot of knowledge might be preserved...

No outposts have been established off the Blessed Isle, but others have managed to get to the Northernmost of the Southern Direction, and the Southernmost of the Northern Direction, and reported back. So such places can be reached.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Muse

Sorry I'm taking so long, Kong-chan! 

We only have one concept so far, right? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rajah

Two. Faithful Knife of Infinity, a gremlin hunter struggling with inner demons, and Transcendentally Elegant Insight, a lovelorn theophilanthropist. I'm toying with stuff for Souled Out but it looks like the other interested parties for that one have dropped off. Possibly my fault for posting an Alchemical first.

Alright, questions!

1) So, about the Stalker Charms. Most of your sketches are pretty clear how they're meant to work, but a couple I'm less clear on. Image-Refracting Projector sounds like a better version of Optical Shroud. Molecular Blade Distortion; what is being changed? A weapon provided by the Charm? What's the Crippling effect Oscillating Trauma Upgrade inflicts? They all sound amazing, by the way.

2) Can I use Plague of Hats' Tiger Style rewrite as Destroyer Style, emulating the berserker exmachina native to the Great Maker?

3) Since we're in Creation, what happens to the Class background? Vanishes, sublimates into Resources instead?

EDIT: Muse, it looks like Insight is no longer doing Live Wire Style in favor of Thousand Wounds Gear, and Knife is all about ripping people to pieces with razor claws, so that's open for you if you're still interested in it. Not that we couldn't have had two whip-dervishes, it'd just have been a little dangerous what with all the electrified nanomolecular edges in the air.  :P

kongming

I'll flesh the charms out once I get home from work, but I was going for in-combat stealth (ala crystal chameleon style), and the crippling would be limb amputation, spinal damage anx the like - or you could pull your punches to just leave permanent scars in the pattern you choose. Yes, you could etch a full story into their skin for all eternity. Blade distortion lets you change a wielded weapon so you can benefit from specific traits as needed - reach, piercing, more accurate or damaging, whatever.

I'm fine with adapting Tiger Style, yeah. PoH is a dick in person, but he wrote decent stuff for Exalted, with knowledge of the system.

You keep Class for the purpose of your Autochthonian interactions,  but they pay you based on this so you effectivelg have Resources equal to your Class.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Empyrean

So I'm fleshing out the mechanical side of Insight and I was wondering if there's going to be extensive travel involved? I was considering whether or not to invest in a Windblade or Wings of the Raptor.

Also, I'm not sure if you ever answered but would it be possible to purchase Celestial Battle Armor? And if so, to purchase Soulsteel armor with the Oblivion's Panoply feature (from Wonders of the Lost Age).

Rajah

Quote from: kongming on August 11, 2014, 10:55:58 PM
I'll flesh the charms out once I get home from work, but I was going for in-combat stealth (ala crystal chameleon style), and the crippling would be limb amputation, spinal damage anx the like - or you could pull your punches to just leave permanent scars in the pattern you choose. Yes, you could etch a full story into their skin for all eternity. Blade distortion lets you change a wielded weapon so you can benefit from specific traits as needed - reach, piercing, more accurate or damaging, whatever.

Awesome! Optical Shroud does allow in-combat stealth once you've bought out Dynamic Cloaking all the way (usually 10xp; it no longer deactivates with any movement, and 'attacking' is specifically named as a subset of movement in the Charm text), but the other two sound great. Etching an identification number and crime code into someone's face is so Soulsteel Caste.  :P

QuoteI'm fine with adapting Tiger Style, yeah. PoH is a dick in person, but he wrote decent stuff for Exalted, with knowledge of the system.

Not the first fallen idol.  :-( Sometimes I feel like the less I know about people who produce content I enjoy, the happier I'll be. That whole thing was awful, but then EX3E's been making a pretty concerted effort to move away from bad concepts and bad influences both, so I guess it's best it happened when it did.

Do love the rewrites, though.

I'll hopefully have a finished sheet up tomorrow.

Quote from: EmpyreanAlso, I'm not sure if you ever answered but would it be possible to purchase Celestial Battle Armor? And if so, to purchase Soulsteel armor with the Oblivion's Panoply feature (from Wonders of the Lost Age).

She did answer - yes, with a note to remember only full-armor martial arts can handle CBA; Thousand Wounds Gear Style is one such so you should be alright. Post right after you asked, at the tippy-top. Don't forget your Fivefold Harmonic Adapter and 3-dot Manse or Elemental Core.

kongming

Quote from: Rajah on August 12, 2014, 12:35:21 AMEtching an identification number and crime code into someone's face is so Soulsteel Caste.  :P

Precisely!

Quotebut then EX3E's been making a pretty concerted effort to move away from bad concepts and bad influences both, so I guess it's best it happened when it did.

I stopped paying attention when they wanted something like $100 just to get a hardcopy of the rules, and when they thought people might like a preview about rape ghosts.

Empyrean: yep, as noted above.

I'll admit that when I said Scarlet Blade, I was hoping the team would look something like:

So despite one character being fully clad in mecha gear and another being creepy and faceless, I'll just overwrite that in my imagination when reading posts.

Ons/Offs:

Rajah

Knife totally has faces! The ones to their left and right are male/female respectively with Integrated Artifact Transmogrifier active, depending on their most recent use of Husk-Sculpting Apparatus' self-sculpt. The middle's just their I'm-not-putting-on-makeup-for-this face.

Muse

*laughs* 

Okay, Kong-chan, you've inspired me! 

One undressed Orichalum caste girl starting up.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FhSa7fmDuefWXaC1pQcCrwgMSplIUyplnWaG_cYaywk/edit

Incomprably Radiant Targe will be a compassionate warrior with the 'protector' package.  Her empathy for every living thing gives her the strength to vanquish that which is evil--and makes her a bit hot headed. 

Edit: 
When using a Power Mace, does anyone know what skill is rolled to attack with the essence beam? 

Targe is from Nurad  Her dedication to protecting the populate--along with her strength and beauty--have made her a favorite subject of prayer during state approved adulation of the Chosen. 

Teo Torriatte

Rajah

Quote from: Muse on August 12, 2014, 07:28:03 AMEdit: 
When using a Power Mace, does anyone know what skill is rolled to attack with the essence beam? 

Archery.

Quote from: LunaIs there any more room for the alchemical game?

There's only three people so far, and six packages suggests preparation for at least that many players, so presumably.

Empyrean

Can we get bonus BP from merits and flaws? Also, I reworked Insight as a Jade.

Re Z L

A&A

Re Z L

Hmmm...  I may be getting a Starmetal together using the Warden kit...

What do you think about TDO's rewrite of Laughing Wounds Style?  (included here since it took me like an hour to track it down)

Kiss of the Whip

Cost:  2m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 4; Type:  Reflexive (Step 1)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Crippling, Stackable
Duration:  Instant
Prerequisites:  None

With a predatory smile, the martial artist lashes her foe with vicious exactitude, making him cry out in shocked agony. If an unarmed attack enhanced by this Charm hits its target, it deals no damage. Instead, that character suff ers a Crippling e ffect, increasing the wound penalty he su ffers by -1 for the rest of the scene. Multiple uses of this Charm stack their penalties to a maximum of (Martial Arts).

Sensuous Torment

Cost:  3m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 2; Type:  Reflexive (Step 9)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Counterattack
Duration:  One Tick
Prerequisites:  None

The martial artist thrills to the torment that her pitiful enemies fear. This Charm can be activated in response to any attack that hits the martial artist, even if it does not successfully deal damage. She is overwhelmed by a wash of ecstatic essence, numbing her body to all pain. The martial artist gains bashing and lethal Hardness 20 against all attacks for the rest of the tick.

Laughing Wounds Form

Cost:  6m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 4; Type:  Simple
Keywords:  Form-Type
Duration:  One scene
Prerequisites:  Kiss of the Whip, Sensuous Torment

Even as blood runs down her skin, the martial artist laughs savagely, whirling undaunted through battle like a scarlet-streaked demon. While this Charm is active, any wound penalties the martial artist suff ers are not applied to combat-related actions, unless she attacks or defends with a non-form weapon. Whenever she makes an unarmed attack, she adds the magnitude of any wound penalties suff ered by the attack's target to her raw damage. Finally, she may pay a level of lethal damage in place of a point of Willpower to channel Conviction or Valor. If she su ffers a wound penalty of -4 or greater, she need not expend a channel of the chosen Virtue when doing so.

Instructive Punishment Method

Cost:  4m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive (Step 1 for attacker, Step 2 for defender)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Emotion
Prerequisites:  Laughing Wounds Form

The proper application of pain swiftly teaches weaklings how to serve. The martial artist may activate this Charm whenever an enemy attempts to attack her, defend against an unarmed attack made by her, or attempts to defend against mental influence exerted by her. With a crack of her whip or a menacing glance, she terrifi es the fool who dares defy her, causing them to suff er a -3 internal penalty on the action.  This is considered to be a wound penalty. If, within the same scene, the martial artist has dealt damage to the penalized character or imposed a Crippling e ffect on them with her unarmed attacks, this penalty is external. A character may pay a point of Willpower to resist all instances of this unnatural mental influence for the rest of their action.

Brand of Obedience

Cost:  3m, 1wp; Mins:  Essence 3, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive (Step 7)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Crippling, Obvious
Duration:  Indefinite
Prerequisites:  Instructive Punishment Method

The martial artist truly owns her pathetic disciples, and can mark them as hers if she deems them worthy. If an unarmed attack enhanced by this Charm deals damage or inflicts a Crippling e ffect on the martial artist's foe, she leaves behind a dis figuring scar or an ugly welt. So long as she commits the motes spent on this Crippling e ffect, the wound is enchanted as a symbol of authority, and glimmers with the Old Realm rune for "Mine" if observed with essence sight. If a marked character attempts to attack the martial artist, defend against one of her unarmed attacks, or defend against mental influence exerted by her, she may choose to punish them for their disobedience by paying a single mote. The mark glows red and burns their skin, dealing (Essence) dice of lethal damage to them as a secondary Crippling e ffect. This damage ignores soak and Hardness from armor. Once the martial artist breaks her commitment to this Charm, the magic fades from the scar, though it remains until it is healed naturally.

Insatiable Slave Stamina

Cost:  4m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive
Keywords:  Combo-OK
Duration:  One scene
Prerequisites:  Laughing Wounds Form

Grinning as black bruises darken her skin, the martial artist demonstrates an even greater appetite for pain than she expects from her slaves. So long as this Charm remains active, the martial artist does not fall unconscious if reduced to Incapacitated by bashing damage. Instead, she remains fully aware and active, with further levels of bashing damage being converted to lethal normally. Furthermore, she may soak lethal damage with her full Stamina, and adds an amount equal to the magnitude of any wound penalties she suff ers to her bashing and lethal soak.

Ecstatic Tenacity

Cost:  8m; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive (Step 7)
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Crippling, Obvious
Prerequisites:  Insatiable Slave Stamina

The most terrible wounds mean less than nothing to one who has re fined her tastes for agony. This Charm can be activated in response to any attack, reducing its raw and final damage to zero. However, this Charm does not prevent the martial artist from su ffering, instead converting the damage to a Crippling eff ect that increases the wound penalties she su ffers by -1 for the rest of the scene. Multiple uses of this Charm stack their penalties. This drawback is considered to be a unique Flaw of Invulnerability.

Rapture in Chains

Cost:  3m, 1wp; Mins:  Essence 2, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Supplemental
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Emotion
Duration:  Until released
Prerequisites:  Laughing Wounds Style

Victims restrained by the martial artist find themselves unwilling to break free.  If an unarmed clinch attack enhanced by this Charm succeeds, the martial artist's whip or chains seem to come alive as they twine around her foe, slipping into impossible knots of painful tightness. Whenever the grappled enemy rolls to establish control of the clinch, any wound penalties that apply to his roll are converted to external penalties. In addition, each time the martial artist would successfully deal damage to a clinched opponent by crushing him, she may instead cause him to lose a point of Willpower as an Emotion eff ect. If a character is reduced to zero Willpower while clinched, he gains an Intimacy of submissive lust towards the martial artist.

Groveling Penitence Prana

Cost:  7m, 1wp; Mins:  Essence 3, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Reflexive
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Compulsion
Prerequisites:  Rapture in Chains

Daring to oppose the mistress's will is like begging for humiliation. The martial artist may activate this Charm whenever she holds a clinched enemy, rolling (Charisma or Manipulation + Martial Arts) as a reflexive social attack against his Dodge MDV. If the martial artist's roll succeeds, her foe falls to his knees in submission. He is incapable of acting for the rest of the scene as if he were clinched, even if the martial artist releases him from her clutches. This unnatural mental influence can be resisted for a cost of three Willpower.

Ravishing the Unworthy Heart

Cost:  10m, 1wp; Mins:  Essence 4, Martial Arts 5; Type:  Supplemental
Keywords:  Combo-OK, Obvious, Servitude
Prerequisites:  Brand of Obedience, Ecstatic Tenacity, Groveling Penitence Prana

Shaping her lips into a kiss, the martial artist reaches forward to stroke her foe's chest. Then, with a grinning snarl, she plunges her hand through his ribs to rip out his heart. An unarmed attack supplemented by this Charm deals aggravated damage, leaving behind smoldering welts or bloody scars. In addition, if the martial artist's target su ffers a wound penalty that exceeds their (Valor), then the attack is unblockable and undodgeable. If the penalty exceeds their (Valor + 3), it is also unexpected. Characters that have no temporary Willpower always su ffer from an attack that is unblockable, undodgeable, and unexpected. If an attack enhanced by this Charm would slay the martial artist's enemy, she is faced with a choice. If she wishes, she may execute him, pulling out his heart with her bare hands or the tip of her whip in a gruesome fatality. A more merciful mistress, however, may choose to cancel all damage past her foe's Incapacitated health level in order to impose a Servitude e ffect on her victim. The victim's Motivation is replaced with a new Motivation of obeying the martial artist. Characters enslaved by this Charm may pay two Willpower to resist it for one scene, and are freed once they have spent a total of ten Willpower resisting this unnatural mental influence.
A&A

kongming

Luna, Re Z L: Yes, there is still space for others if you want in.
Empyrean: you can spend BP on merits or get BP from flaws, yeah. Limit of 7 BP gained from Flaws, and run any merits and flaws past me first.
Re Z L: having looked over the re-write, there are enough differences there that I'll allow anyone to take one version or the other - you can't learn both versions, and you can't pick and mix. That seems fairest.

Ons/Offs:

Teo Torriatte

Im looking at working on a moonsilver. More details forthcoming.

Muse

Muse

Is anyone taking the Medic package? 

If so maybe I shuold back off on my healing charms?  I didn't even realize their WAS a medic package when I took them. 

Re Z L

A&A

Muse

Hey Kong-chan.  :)  Should we be taking some followers, either for military purposes or in the form of engineers?  (Or both.) 

I know Targe can't do her own maintenance.  And we are far from home. 

Hm...  I was just going to give her a swift rider, but maybe her artifact background can also support some kind of magitech transport and some engineers? 

Edit: 

Would the battlefield's of Autchathon be big enough to support a Battle Carrier or even an indomitable conquest platform?    Erm, I mean Mobile Fabrication Platform. 

Do alchemcials have training charms?  And/or is Autochathon's educational system good enough to justify followers who are engineers, crossbowmen, and soldier enough to defend their stations in hand to hand?