Revolution! Interest Check

Started by Zealously Jaded, June 04, 2010, 10:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zealously Jaded

History

Brecalan is a large post-industrial city sitting between the northern Brecal mountain range to the north and the Esk planes to the south. The city straddles the great River Esk next to the Baerest Sea. On the northern banks there are many factories producing items from cutlery to knives of a deadlier nature.

The southern bank is much more civilised much of the cities workings happens here, there is a courthouse, (the jail is in the north) the Proctors’ mansion and the governing body (of 25 elderly bloated men who can’t decipher between their hands and their feet). Many of the merchants of the area live and work in the southern part of the city, many never leave those banks for fear of what they mind find in the north.

The as November turned to December, the temperature dropped earlier then expected, many of the poorest people died in the first influenza outbreak of the season, especially the oldest and the youngest. The people started to blame their Proctor for not stepping up and giving aid, yet he had other things on his mind then the death of a few peasants. (Not the best attitude for the supposed ruler of the city.)

The Proctor was concerned about the Winter Solstice celebrations he held every year; he would shut the main square and invite everyone to join in the jubilations of successfully getting through another year without war or famine. (Pestilence was something that couldn’t be avoided, just ignored)

But the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray…

The Idea

The city is about to turn on its head, will it survive or will it crumble into the ground? This is a roleplay for 8+ players, could be more could be less depending on how many people actually want to do this.

I was thinking that the story would start from both angles, just before the Winter Festival, where something happens. Perhaps the subversive group plots something to happen and we see the fall out from it.

Characters needed.

Affluent Characters.
Proctor – might make him npc if no takers.
Merchants – Not to mention their sons or daughters.

Subversive Characters.
Leader of the Thieves. – There’s always one!
Thieves/bandits/maybe a few pirates they do live by the sea.
General Peasantry.

Anyone else you think of!

Character sheets

Please state if your character is in the affluent section or the subversive.

Name:

Looks (eyes, hair ect)
Distinguishing features:
Personality:
Skills (if any):
History:
Anything else:

This was my first group roleplay idea, thanks for reading! I’m hoping that someone will be interested.

~AT~

Urbanzorro

Ohh, I like this idea!!! Just how post industrial are we talking? What sort of tech level?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Zealously Jaded

I was thinking not too advanced we don't want to get into bombs and machine guns, I was thinking more pistols. The industrial revolution would have mostly hit the factories. If that makes total sense.

Urbanzorro

So you're thinking industrial revolution as far as massed production goes, that makes sense, as far as pistols are you thinking revolvers? or flintlock? and for rifles (assuming if there are pistols) would it be muzzle loaders? or bolt action? Just asking to make sure I don't make a character who winds up being a tech level above everyone else lol

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Zealously Jaded

You've lost me with the tech talk, erm... honestly I'm not sure. I'm tempted to say that you can have what you want but no machine guns, and certainly no flying machines :P

Urbanzorro

Lol sorry (bit of a gun nut), was just asking if you want the pistols/rifles you have to reload down the barrel every time you fire (like colonial days) or ones where you just move the bolt back to load in the next cartridge (think hunting/sniper rifles)

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Zealously Jaded

The second one, because with the first one if you didn't kill the person in one shot you might as well use the gun as a club lol!

Urbanzorro

Lol this is true (its what they did in real life)

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Zealously Jaded

Thats so pointless lol.

So does that help gun wise?

Urbanzorro

Very much so! Just wanted to be clear, also I'm thinking

For my character, and with you're approval hoping to play the rebel leader, is that the look you're going for?

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Zealously Jaded

Very nice, definatly what I was aiming for. :D this is going to be very interesting :)

Urbanzorro

Cool do you have a character sheet in mind?

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Urbanzorro

Well here's my application for the rebel leader.

Name: Horus Atradies
Weapons: His rapier (pictured above), and two ornate revolvers
Born into a life of poverty Horus at first seemed destined to live and die in as just another nameless member of the masses, but as the years passed by, it slowly became more and more apparent to his parents and those around him that he was destined for something more. He was a natural born leader, always at the head of the pack. When he reached the age of 17 Horus went to work with his father at one of the city's many factories. He excelled showing a keen intelligence which did not go unnoticed by his superiors, he was scheduled for a promotion which would give him the chance to help his family escape their current slum of a neighborhood and move to a relatively nicer area.

But it was not to be.....the merchant or noble who owned the factory decided to sell out and live the easy life. The factory was closed and Horus found himself and his family without a job. Despite pleas from the workers and their families the proctor and the city council simply choose to ignore them.  Winter hit and many died, including both Hours' father and mother. Horus managed to survive, and realized that there was nothing left for him in his home city.

He made his way to the docks finding a job on a ship he was determined to never return to Brecalan until he was able to change things. He doesn't talk much about what things he did or who he did those hings with over those years, and no one who knows him seems to know the details, but what everyone does know is that the 18 year old boy who left Brecalan returned a 23 year old man with a mission. He would avenge his family, and all those like them who had suffered under the yolk of the upper class. He would change the balance of power.....even if he had to burn down the entire city around him! He has been pursuing this goal for the past 3 years, fighting, sabotaging, using what riches he gained from his time away to finance his ever growing resistance. And always, always biding his time. But the time for biding is coming to an end....or so he says.....

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Zealously Jaded

Very nice character :) I shall get mine up soon...family just decided to decend on us :)

Moebus57

Greetings

I'll raise my hand for the proctor and general peasantry..... perhaps a merchant as well if you still need some color...avatars, ages, descriptions etc etc to follow.  I need to mull a bit...anyone beats me to any of this  no worries..... looks like there's  enough to go around ...You might need a farmer, I'll definitely can do that...
Guess I'm all over the place  ..I'll limit myself to a couple or three if thats OK??

Words to follow

Cheers
If you're looking for my O's no need. I don't have any Offs persay.  That allows lots and lots of maneuver room.

Zealously Jaded

Hey,

Don't over stretch yourself, limit yourself to two.

Moebus57

Copy two it is...Roger....
That works

If you're looking for my O's no need. I don't have any Offs persay.  That allows lots and lots of maneuver room.

Zealously Jaded

Subversive Character

Name: Nicole Filine
Age: 20 (Possibly, she would never give out her real age)
Looks:
History:

Nicole from an early age learnt that people aren’t to be trusted, her parents were sweet and decent people but she hated the dishonest people that they knew. When she was 10 her parents lost everything in a banking crisis, yet the owner of the bank seemed to get richer. This double-dealing caused her father to kill himself and leave his wife and young child in the hands of his brother, who soon became her step-father.

After spending 5 years in his care and being treated like a servant she had taken all that she could. Stealing herself away in the dead of night she headed in a ferry to the north bank of the city. It was there that she met Madam Kat and became an employee of the Midnight Kat-house, the finest bawdy house in all of Brecalan, every influential and rich person had walked through those doors and enjoyed themselves at the hands of the girls.

At first she was a maid, making sure that the girls had everything they needed, that there was food and drink for the ‘house guests’ and that the beds where changed…as often as needed. On her 18th birthday she as asked if she wanted to work as one of the girls, but she refused, she had landed herself a nice job in the tavern downstairs, serving drinks and pick pocketing the stupid.

Personality: Nicole has a sharp personality and a sharper tongue, her words have gotten her into trouble, but there always seemed to be a way out, usually feet first thought the other persons mouth.

Once every 6 months she travels back to the south to see how her mother is, what will happen when the revolution starts…which side will she be on?

I'm going to write up another character in a little! So we have the Winter Festival and the Brawdy house as settings. :)

abandoneddolly

het if you still need peopole to join, I was thinking about being a merchants daughter

Zealously Jaded

always looking for more people :)

abandoneddolly

Name: Isabell Sheppard
Job: none
Looks -
Personality:- a little naive
Skills (if any):can play the violin, and shoot a riffle
History: Her father owns one of the factories in town. She was raised up in wealth, and has never really had to do much by herself. Some would tend to say she is spoiled. She was raised to learn the finer things of life such as playing music, but she was also taught how to protect herself. Her father spends most of his time in the dealings of the factory, and sometimes she goes down and helps. She is expected to take over the business when he dies.

She was never allowed to go down to the poo er side of town, and being an obident child she listened. She has only heard of the Pestilence through stories and rumors and it do sent really effect her.

Zealously Jaded

abandoneddolly

thank you, I was a bit concerned profiles arn't my strong point

Zealously Jaded

Don't worry profiles arent my thing either. Sometimes you just need to get into a story before you really know what your character is going to be like :)

Zealously Jaded

I put an OOC thread here and some clearer information so feel free to have a look/drop a message :)