My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Started by Kunoichi, April 10, 2011, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Dhi, the issue is that children and adults still use gay as a pejorative, because they KNOW it'll get a reaction.  Also, I do agree with you're interpretation.  But at the same time, what can they do?  Any disciplinary action that they may wish to attempt will get the Bully's parents litigious.  Simply because the Bully is 'not their responsibility' and them trying to correct or punish his behaviour is 'overstepping their bounds'.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation.  They chose the only option that would allow them to stay open, teach kids, and get paid.  And sadly, this one kid, is just that:  One kid of many.  Is it right?  No.  But I've learned the hard way, life ain't about what's right.  It should be though.  Maybe I can make my little corner of it that way, but...

I like the MLP show, I think it's well done, and less obviously preachy about what it is.  I also think that everyone, no matter who or what you are (My cousin's cat watches it with her.  Seriously, he hears the MLP theme song and he will stop whatever he's doing to sit in front of the television.  He'll even allow anyone to pick him up and petted, if he still can see the TV.  Cutest thing ever.) should be allowed to watch it, without negative repercussions.  But then I'm a freak, and a monster.  Because I believe in treating people as people.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Dhi

Things are different now. Since 2010, there are official laws on the books that both protect schools from litigious parents and require them to take action to prevent bullying. Since 2001, teachers have not been insulated by tenure against the failure of a school to abide by federal law. Since 2013, North Carolina has not extended tenure to teachers at all.

This means that if a school has failed to live up to its legal requirements to prevent bullying, as this school has unabashedly, people will be fired. Is that not sufficient motivation? In my state, it absolutely is. Bullying is not tolerated. Bullying behaviors are identified and quashed before they become an issue, and if they do become an issue, action is taken. This is how it works now.

Thankfully, I have not heard the word gay used pejoratively in my adult life, except in the toilet bowls of the internet that are MMO general chats and unmoderated forums. It stands to reason that it isn't an adult on the other side of the screen.

Oniya

Sometimes it simply requires a letter to the superintendent, stating that the school's 'anti-bullying program is little more than lip-service'.

Let me tell you, that got action quick, when several meetings with the school guidance counselor didn't.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ulthakptah

Anyone watch the episode today? I think it rocks.

Ember Star

I think Maud is now my favorite pony, or at least second only to Derpy
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

GanonDwarf

Quote from: ulthakptah on March 15, 2014, 10:18:01 PM
Anyone watch the episode today? I think it rocks.

Some people don't like this episode. I think they're just taking it for granite.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

ulthakptah

Quote from: dwarfvader on March 16, 2014, 01:13:24 PM
Some people don't like this episode. I think they're just taking it for granite.
I know, it was so funny. Maud really crags me up

GanonDwarf

Quote from: ulthakptah on March 17, 2014, 12:18:55 AM
I know, it was so funny. Maud really crags me up

I wish Fluttershy got some courage in this episode. You know, be a little boulder.
Fandom Request Thread!

Chris Brady

Keep that up and this thread will be met with a stony silence.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Ember Star

"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Chris Brady

I bet that'll be a rocky relationship.

GanonDwarf

But I think she found a diamond in the rough.
Fandom Request Thread!

Chris Brady

True, but is that a path she'll want to carve out for herself, though?

GanonDwarf

I'm sure she'll be able to cement their relationship. Though I do not have concrete evidence.
Fandom Request Thread!

Oniya

I haven't seen the episode, but the puns are really gneiss.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

JayNighte

I wanted to watch this episode, but I've been busy. I haven't found enough time to be sedentary.

GanonDwarf

I can't think of another pun. I'm really between a rock and a hard place here.
Fandom Request Thread!

Yukina

Nonetheless, all these puns have rocked.

Oniya

JayNighte

shoot, I wrote the wrong word! I meant sedi(me)ntary, not sedentary. Anyways, I hope she returns some time. Maud brings a unique energy to the show. She's one of the most exciting characters I've seen in television today.

GanonDwarf

I really dig these puns. And it's crystal clear that you all like them to.

But rock puns aside, I'm glad Flim and Flam are back, they have catchy songs.
Fandom Request Thread!

ulthakptah

Anyone see the new clip from Rainbow Rocks? I'm sure any Vinyl Scratch fan will wub it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh7j1qUaGOc

Ember Star

BlueMaiden88

When I saw this thread at the top of the list in the Off Topic section, I had a George Takei moment. 

I love MLP.  LOVE IT.  I love how they combine various mythologies into even the tiniest of details in the show.  It tickles my nerd button something fierce.  But the show is fun and sweet and reminds me of happier times.

JayNighte

Interesting that you should bring Star Trek into this, as John de Lancie reprised his role as Q for the show. Just as a Draconequus named Discord.