Looking to start a WoD Vampire: The Masquerade game.

Started by Vampyre Valkyrie, July 21, 2013, 10:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vampyre Valkyrie

I am looking to start up a Vampire: The Masquerade game that becomes large enough to get a spot in a "Big Groups" section. (I will "hire" more GM's as they become necessary.) I will be running the original game and not the revised Vampire: The Requiem version. There will be a couple clans unavailable or capped to start off with, but I will get to that in a moment.

The following was taken from whitewolf.wikia.com

In Vampire, characters play vampires, also called Kindred, descendants of Caine (the Biblical Cain), cursed with a thirst for blood, vulnerability to sunlight and immortality. Vampires are forever subject to the Beast, their raging animal urges of hunger, fear and rage.

Vampires generally live in cities, which are run feudally by Princes (This role is already filled); life in a city is one of constant political manipulation and paranoia, as the powers of the city vie for power, control and food.

Vampires are creatures ruled by fear, most importantly the fear of exposure to the Kine, everyday humanity. Since the Inquisition the majority of vampires have lived under the Masquerade, an enforced campaign to hide the existence of the Kindred from humanity.

Vampire is a game of personal horror: the characters are continually forced to walk a moral tightrope between their need to survive and the horrific means by which they ensure it.

With that being said. The role of Prince and Scourge are already set to be filled. The game will open with a post that it will be mandatory to read (The new Prince declaring praxis and gaining control of the city.) This post will be long and bloody, but will hopefully set the tone for the rest of the game. I am looking for strong social and political play with the potential of some combat.

The following list is the vampire clans that are playable in Vampire: The Masquerade. I have made notes beside the clan names if they are capped/playable/ect. for your convenience. If all the clan slots have been filled it will be noted next to the clan name as well. If there is a clan that is non-playable/capped you see that you are interested in, please PM me with your character concept and we can talk.

The Camarilla

Brujah (playable): These vampires are commonly rebels and punks, and dress accordingly. A smaller class of Brujah are intellectual individualists, who are at odds with society.

Malkavian (playable): All other Clans believe this vampire clan to be insane, but in this, the Malkavians possess a unique wisdom.

Nosferatu (playable): Hideous in appearance, this Clan lives apart from other Kindred, but hold secrets of many of the preternatural inhabitants of the city (they resemble vampires as seen in "Nosferatu" but are not restricted to that exact appearance).

Toreador (playable): The Toreador see themselves as artists. They are a proud and regal Clan, often highly excitable, with expensive tastes and dressing in the latest fashions. Lestat is of course a Toreador..

Tremere (Capped at 3 : FILLED)These vampires are warlocks who have risen from an ancient magic. They are tightly-knit, and keep their powers closely guarded..

Ventrue (playable): Regarded by many as the leaders of the Camarilla, the Ventrue consuder themselves nobility, are old-fashioned and tradition bound, and believe in good taste above all else.

Solitary Clans

Assamites (capped at 1 : FILLED): The Crusaders brought back many tales from the Holy Land, some of which concerned a band of fanatical killers. The word the Europeans coined for these silent murders was assassin. The Cainites, however, already knew of a similar but far more dangerous threat from Araby - the diabolist of Clan Assamite.

Settite (capped at 2 : 1/2): There are few vampires who would willingly grant hospitality to a Follower of Set, and for good reason. The Settites, as they call themselves, are servants of darkness and corruption incarnate. The clan's ultimate goal is to corrode the ethics away from humanity and Cainites alike, creating a surfeit of slaves for themselves and thier dark master.

Gangrel (playable): These Kindred are able to shape-change into animal forms, such as a wolf or bat. Many are rustic in appearance and prefer a life of solitude. Until recently the Gangrel were members of the Camarilla

Giovanni (Not playable at this time): No other clan is more intent on maintaining a front of respectability than the Giovanni, and none is more repulsive at heart. Giovanni vampires are rich merchants, speculators, and investors who spend most of their nights manipulating their vast assets from skyscraper offices. They spend the rest of their nights in crypts and mausoleums carrying out their dark and morbid rites.

Ravnos (Capped at 1 - FILLED): Tramps and thieves, the Ravnos are scattered throughout Europe like chaff on the wind. Every country host a few, but where they can be found varies from night to night and whim to whim. Many travel with bands of roving tinkers or other undesirables. It is rare from more than one or two to be found in the same place at the same time, for they are solitary Cainites and prefer audiencs and marks to company. Due to some sort of madness ALL Ravnos try to kill one another on sight. They are very few in number.

Caitiff (playable): A vampire with no true clan. No matter what clan this vampire's sire is, their blood is so weak (due to their gen) that they do not fall into the jurisdiction of any clan.

The Sabbat

Lasombra (Capped at 1-FILLED): Elegant but preadatory, the Lasombra honestly think of themselves as the apex of Cainite existence. Firm belivers in Divine Right, and the rule of the superior, they have little patience, though often much pity, for those Cainites who are ( throught no fault of their own ) inferior.

Tzimisce (Not playable at this time): From time immemorial the Tzimisce have haunted Europe beyonde the Elbe. Along the Oder and Danube, through the Pripet Marshes, amid the Carpathian crags stalk the Fiends, each claiming its lair and wreaking a terrible vengeance on intruders. The Tzimisce cruelity is infamous even among vampires.

Please feel free to leave questions or feedback.

“Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time."

|

CarnivorousBunny

I am very interested, but I do not know the game itself.  Will that leave me at a disadvantage, or will it be easy to play catch-up as I go along?

Will humans be playable, or are we all going to play vampires?
I'm assuming there is some sort of hierarchy within the vampire community, and a set system for which they placed to make getting food easier?
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on July 21, 2013, 10:50:00 AM
I am very interested, but I do not know the game itself.  Will that leave me at a disadvantage, or will it be easy to play catch-up as I go along?

Will humans be playable, or are we all going to play vampires?
I'm assuming there is some sort of hierarchy within the vampire community, and a set system for which they placed to make getting food easier?
No one who is starting fresh will be at a disadvantage because I won't let them feel like they are. Any and all questions can be PM'ed to me and I will get back to everyone. I once was a novice at VtM as well, and was lucky enough to receive help from my boyfriend, who has been playing VtM for 15 years now.

At this current point in time we are only going to be allowing vampire characters. However once the game expands a bit "gouls" (humans bound to vampires) will be permitted.

There is indeed a hierarchy, and a usage of status. I will be posting those details in the games Rules thread once I figure out where I'm going to open the game. I will also have a rule set for disciplines (powers the vampires have.) Those will also be posted in the Rules thread as well.

|

Snickerz

Soon as I'm finished running around in a thousand different directions my dear I'll read through this again, but I'm pretty sure I'm up for it.

MadJackal

I'm up for it, it sounds interestingn but I don't know the game either

Ixy

I would love to join a VtM game with a limited group size and a plot, but not a sandbox.  Do you have in mind a setting (time/place/cultures)?  Or can we know the current political landscape?  Would you be running NPCs for the various characters (feeding, pawns, retainers, antagonists, allies, elders, primogen, etc?)

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: Ixy on July 21, 2013, 12:19:51 PM
I would love to join a VtM game with a limited group size and a plot, but not a sandbox.  Do you have in mind a setting (time/place/cultures)?  Or can we know the current political landscape?  Would you be running NPCs for the various characters (feeding, pawns, retainers, antagonists, allies, elders, primogen, etc?)

I'm not sure if I understand the term "sandbox." You might have to explain that one to me. The setting will be modern and a melting pot of cultures. I've not decided what the location will be.

As far as political landscape I'm assuming you mean sects. I'm going to be taking Camerilla, Independent, and Anarch. Any Sabbat will be NPC's for plot at this point in time.

As far as NPC's I will be running most of them (from antagonists to elders), as well as my co-gm (who will remain unnamed until the game gets up and going.) Primogen will most likely end up player characters after some time, but at first they will more then likely be NPC's. As I've said before, eventually gouls will be available as PC's but not at first. I'd like our vampire character base to be high enough I feel some "humans" won't hamper game play.

As far as the game being a limited group size I'm hoping that it eventually gets big enough that I don't have to NPC everyone. I would like to be able to enjoy the game as well as run a world where other folks can have fun.

|

Pointless Digression

Ixy means sandbox in the sense of an open world where the players develop their owns storylines and encounter little to no structure in the form of a pre-planned story line. Think of a game like Grand Theft Auto. You can proceed along the scripted story mission, or steal every car and vehicle in the city, drive to every corner of the man, and collect every weapon and costume without ever touching anything resembling a plot. The extreme opposite of a sandbox game is a railroad plot, where the GM has a predetermined sequence of events to progress through, and by god, we're going to hit all of those plot points in the prescribed order.

And I'd also like to play. Could you zap me a PM to let me know what I need to write up a character?

Robelwell202

As has already been discussed...

I'm in!  (Muahahahahaha!!)
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Snickerz

Quote from: Robelwell202 on July 21, 2013, 09:44:33 PM
As has already been discussed...
I'm in!  (Muahahahahaha!!)

*isn't sure if she should run in fear now or sign in blood that she's sticking around*

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: Pointless Digression on July 21, 2013, 07:49:32 PM
Ixy means sandbox in the sense of an open world where the players develop their owns storylines and encounter little to no structure in the form of a pre-planned story line. Think of a game like Grand Theft Auto. You can proceed along the scripted story mission, or steal every car and vehicle in the city, drive to every corner of the man, and collect every weapon and costume without ever touching anything resembling a plot. The extreme opposite of a sandbox game is a railroad plot, where the GM has a predetermined sequence of events to progress through, and by god, we're going to hit all of those plot points in the prescribed order.

And I'd also like to play. Could you zap me a PM to let me know what I need to write up a character?

Thank you muchly. I'll have the CS format posted on Tuesday. I am not at my home computer right now, so I can't access it. But it will be up as soon as I get home. I will make sure to PM it to you though so that you know it's up.

Now to answer Ixy's question. I was planning on having a sudo sandbox game. There will be freedom to create your own side plots. I'll never say no to that, but it will be within reason. If it gets to extreme or out of hand, it will be stopped. There will be some predetermined events though. This is my first time running for a large group, so I'm going to be a bit more relaxed with it. That however does not mean you can blow up my city.

|

Kolbrandr

Are you intending this to be system or freeform as far as character creation and the like? Annd, neonate starting character types, other?

Vampyre Valkyrie

It's going to be a bit of freeform for the most part. The only part that will have a "system" to it is the disciplines at this point (that is subject to change as I'm typing it up to post on Tuesday.)

I'm drawing a blank right now on what you mean by neonate (sorry, it's late and I'm tired.)

|

Kolbrandr

Oh, neonates, as in characters recently embraced as vampires, built on starting character builds, that kind of thing.

Hrm, I think a better way to ask might be, are you using the VtM books for this or is this largely pulled off the wikia and such?

Thesunmaid

Neonate means newly made vamp...like 50 years or less old.

I was a member of the Camarilla Larp for the longest time and I would love to play in this. I used to run a game myself until life sort of attacked me and stole my time.

I am assuming this is a Table top character? and is there a sheet? I know you said its a free form...I just want to make sure I know whats going on. :) Feel free to Pm me anytime if there's anything I need for it. I would love love love to play a torrie or a malk or a nos. I also have played bruha and ghouls in the past which were fun.

I have my yahoo and msn on my profile if you prefer that to a PM. I really need a bit of distraction right now. I am starting a new job so I might be a bit slow to get a sheet up and running till the end of the week. I hope that's OK. :)
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Thesunmaid

I have all the books downloaded and I can point people in the direction if they wanted the torrent site. :)

Ahem...I am sort of a OWoD geek...
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: Kolbrandr on July 22, 2013, 12:04:09 AM
Oh, neonates, as in characters recently embraced as vampires, built on starting character builds, that kind of thing.

Hrm, I think a better way to ask might be, are you using the VtM books for this or is this largely pulled off the wikia and such?
*Chuckles* Sorry...like I said...it's late and I'm half here mentally. I'll have my rules for character creation up no later then Tuesday (I'll be at my home computer then.)  Also, I have access to most of the VtM and White Wolf books via PDF. I've played in a couple WoD games (my longest stint being about 3 years at a LARP) but I've never run it before. My co-gm is a bit more experienced, but would like to remain unnamed until the start of game (the game was my idea and he doesn't want to step on my toes.)

Quote from: thesunmaid on July 22, 2013, 12:06:16 AM
Neonate means newly made vamp...like 50 years or less old.

I was a member of the Camarilla Larp for the longest time and I would love to play in this. I used to run a game myself until life sort of attacked me and stole my time.

I am assuming this is a Table top character? and is there a sheet? I know you said its a free form...I just want to make sure I know whats going on. :) Feel free to Pm me anytime if there's anything I need for it. I would love love love to play a torrie or a malk or a nos. I also have played bruha and ghouls in the past which were fun.

I have my yahoo and msn on my profile if you prefer that to a PM. I really need a bit of distraction right now. I am starting a new job so I might be a bit slow to get a sheet up and running till the end of the week. I hope that's OK. :)
Thanks...it's like 2 am here and my brain is running on fumes and baby tears (my kid woke up as I was laying down to go to bed.)

Which LARP were you involved with if you don't mind me asking (and did you travel to any cons?) I'll hit you up with a pm once I get on tomorrow morning. I'm going to try to get the kid to go back to bed.

I have Skype, aim, and yahoo....my yahoo has been giving me really bad issues lately though so I don't know how reliable that'll be to get ahold of me with. (I haven't been able to log in for about a week.) Also, nice to have a OWoD geek involved :D

|

Kolbrandr

Ahh, hokay, no worries then.

Basically I'm really not all that into pure freeform, or neonate scale gaming as far as character and backstory options (I just like having more room for things like time spent since embrace and the like), so just trying to sort that aspect of things out. I'll keep an eye on the thread for when notes on character creation go up then.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

CarnivorousBunny

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on July 22, 2013, 01:32:15 AM
Interested in playing a Malkavian.

That or a Settite are the roles I'm interested in.
But before I create a character, I think I'd like a better idea of the direction the game will be going.
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: Kolbrandr on July 22, 2013, 01:25:35 AM
Ahh, hokay, no worries then.

Basically I'm really not all that into pure freeform, or neonate scale gaming as far as character and backstory options (I just like having more room for things like time spent since embrace and the like), so just trying to sort that aspect of things out. I'll keep an eye on the thread for when notes on character creation go up then.
Well like I said, it will be mostly freeform. The other GM and I will be working on plot style things, but they won't be things that are forced most of the time. As far as neonate scale gaming, I find that it's more fun to have a variety of vampire ages. So I can say without a doubt, while I will be capping "super old vampires," vampires older then 50 will be permitted.

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on July 22, 2013, 01:32:15 AM
Interested in playing a Malkavian.
Awesome...Love Malkavians

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on July 22, 2013, 01:39:31 AM
That or a Settite are the roles I'm interested in.
But before I create a character, I think I'd like a better idea of the direction the game will be going.
Shooting you a pm.

|

RubySlippers

I'm playing a Caitiff embraced in the 70's who learned her powers from watching movies at the time largely the Hammer Studios version. Well for awhile she had no teacher so am thinking -

Animalism - Power over beasts of the field, command wolf and rat and bat and such common enough is the movies to be legit just watch Dracula do it.

Fortitude - Ever watch the movies vampires are just tough bullet hit them and nothing and some can even die from fire and sun slower did Christopher Lee just die so fast.

Presence - Woman vampire equals HOT come on just look at the slutty vampires in the movies mortals want them and they hiss terrorizing the enemy.

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 22, 2013, 08:14:11 AM
I'm playing a Caitiff embraced in the 70's who learned her powers from watching movies at the time largely the Hammer Studios version. Well for awhile she had no teacher so am thinking -

Animalism - Power over beasts of the field, command wolf and rat and bat and such common enough is the movies to be legit just watch Dracula do it.

Fortitude - Ever watch the movies vampires are just tough bullet hit them and nothing and some can even die from fire and sun slower did Christopher Lee just die so fast.

Presence - Woman vampire equals HOT come on just look at the slutty vampires in the movies mortals want them and they hiss terrorizing the enemy.

:D You won't have high levels in them by doing it that way, but she is young anyways. I like it so far. Once I flush out my rules on disciplines I'll post them (probably  tomorrow with the CS format.) Good choices :D

As a warning for everyone there will most likely be a cap to powers at first...till the system gets flushed out. That way there isn't to crazy of hyjinx going on :D

|

RubySlippers

I know even if a fifty year old vampire she would have low dots but I might opt to be 14th generation or even 15th, means no Kindred society status but she is a Caitiff who cares what the Man thinks. :D

And it will limit her using disciplines to high on the plus side if 15th generation she blends into mortal society better and can make cute real babies even if all Dhamphir. Might explain how she avoiding breaching the Masquerade sunlight is only lethal if 15th generation and there are medical conditions she could get documented (with some doctor helping) that can explain her quirks and being a disability will have benefits. Hell if I'm going to be vampire society bottom feeding trash should consider my options.