Main Menu

Pathfinder 2 Playtest

Started by Callie Del Noire, August 03, 2018, 08:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Anyone looked thru it yet?

I’m half/half on it..

My favorite PC types, skill monkeys and linguistics experts seem not possible
There seems to be a massive amount of feat taxes... and some combos aren’t possible (at least easily) such as Barbarians can’t get Power Attack and Fighters can’t get Cleave (theta are class feats)

I do like the ease of stating our a character though. Ancestry, Background and such build up stats pretty quick.
The coin enconmy is reduced.. SP seems to be the ‘standard’ currency rather than gold.

Not at all happy about single classing with a ‘feat tax’ to multiclass, though it does give a bit more umph in making ‘x/caster’ type

Thorne

I'm looking at the sheets right now, and thinking my share, a little bit. Feats for EVERYTHING - just about. I suspect I'm going to be hearing a lot of puns and jokes about fully feat-ured characters in the next few days.

They seem to have dropped multi-classing entirely. I'll have a better idea what I think after I've attempted to build a character and/or play it. I'm still getting my head around  heritage feats...

Presently singing for interest on the Portal (rather more focused on groups and system gamers); have some interest, have a few thoughts.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Callie Del Noire

Lone Wolf boneheadedly decided to only support the playtest on HLO, but it seems a LOT more stable than it was.

Cantrips, which level with casters, are cast all day but the max number of other spells seems to be 3 a level.

To add more fun to it, Amazon is responsible for the shipping of the print copy for Paizo and totally fuckec that job. At the first day of GenCon, which was supposed to be the day folks would get their books they were JUST starting to send things out.

I dislike the minimization of skills, the lack of ability to get languages, the death of prestige claases.

The multiclassing feats I’m conflicted on. On in hand you can have a wizard/whatever with full progression in spells but on the other side it’s feat to qualify, then MORE feats for other class features.. I wish you could choose to do either or.

Hiding some combat feats as class feats makes for issues building characters.. no dual wielding rogues or rangers.. unless you get the fighter dedication/multiclass feat.. then the 2 weapon feats

Callie Del Noire

My first experiment in HLO’s play test

Goblin Ancestry, Acolytre background and then I put my 4 1st level +2s in Star, Con, Wis and Cha

Hisk the Mad
Male goblin paladin 1
Goblin, Good, Humanoid, Lawful
Percep +2
--------------------
Defense                        HP 20 Spell Points 2 Hero Points 1 Res 3
--------------------
TAC 13; AC 14
Fort +4; Ref +2; Will +3
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 20 ft.
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 16 (+3); Dex 12 (+1); Con 14 (+2); Int 10 (+0); Wis 12 (+1); Cha 14 (+2)
Skills Diplomacy +3, Medicine +2, Religion +2, Sarenrae Lore +1, Survival +2
Feats Warded Touch, Weapon Familiarity (goblin)
Languages Common, Goblin
Other Abilities code of conduct, retributive strike
Other Gear chain shirt, heavy steel shield, crossbow, dogslicer, horsechopper, bolts (10), bolts (10), purse (43 sp)

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

Thorne

Lone Wolf seems to be moving to HLO entirely; I need to check with Mr. Thorne on whether we got signed up for that or not; it's slipped the list with everything else that's going on.

That's an interesting sheet; leaving aside my mental disconnect for 'goblin' and 'paladin', that's interesting. How long it take you to build that?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Thorne on August 03, 2018, 10:14:56 PM
Lone Wolf seems to be moving to HLO entirely; I need to check with Mr. Thorne on whether we got signed up for that or not; it's slipped the list with everything else that's going on.

That's an interesting sheet; leaving aside my mental disconnect for 'goblin' and 'paladin', that's interesting. How long it take you to build that?

Took 12 minutes to build it, they added statblock generation to HLO about 6 weeks ago. HLO is still craptasticly unstable but typically runs an hour or so before crashing. Half the features they promised, such as offline use, are still not there.

MasterMischief

I only flipped through it briefly.  I am definitely not their target audience, so my opinions are largely those of an outsider.

I like that they are trying to streamline things.  The problem is they did not go far enough.  The underlying fundamentals remain convoluted which gums up the works.  And the Feats...oh my god.  I think the Feats are only going to further alienate a lot of their core.  But you have to sell splat books, right?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on August 21, 2018, 06:58:58 AM
I only flipped through it briefly.  I am definitely not their target audience, so my opinions are largely those of an outsider.

I like that they are trying to streamline things.  The problem is they did not go far enough.  The underlying fundamentals remain convoluted which gums up the works.  And the Feats...oh my god.  I think the Feats are only going to further alienate a lot of their core.  But you have to sell splat books, right?

Some of it I like...stat generation is quite easy..switching to the silver standard helps..but the feats and ‘leveled’ items are meh. Plus restrictions of feats to certain classes seems stupid... Barbarians can cleave and Fighters can power attack. But not vice versa

Resonance is a good idea but the actions and cost bites... your buddy drops..you grab his bag of holding, that requires you to invest a point to use it, which disinvests his point, you grab the healing potion and now he has to use a point or it fails..

Naiah

I was lucky enough to try out a test game with Jason Bulmahn himself.

Honestly I am not sure whether I liked it or not. It had some good points which made it easier combat wise, but dunno. Not all for the new for the sake of new.

As a healer my biggest gripe with the current pathfinder is only really getting 1 standard action, while everyone in my group now has 3. I would love to see more swift/free action spells be available. And in the new one you had 3 actions to spend as you like, where a healing spell could either take 1-2-3 actions depending on how powerful you wanted it to be. Not overly sold on it, but at least I got to do a few more things.

Callie Del Noire

My issue with the combat mechanic is AC doesn’t scale as well as some types of critters ability to hit.  Th crit mechanic means anytime a hit beats AC +10 they crit. Makes for high levels being a game of ‘never get in reach of the critter’ for the squishy types

Haven’t had a Playtest in the high level side yet in our PFS events yet to see how it goes.. but I’m betting it will get nasty