Game of Thrones AU

Started by Primarch, June 05, 2012, 04:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium147

Quote from: Trafalgar on June 07, 2012, 11:49:40 AM
Could I possibly reserve Head of House Baratheon of Dragonstone?

We'll have to work out some backstory then :-). Shoot me a pm with your ideas about what our relationship would be (my CS is a few posts up).
Currently looking for: /

Ons & Offs
Request Thread
A&As
Available on Discord.

Primarch

@Rel Mayer: If you could flesh out her strengths, skills & weaknesses into full sentences it would be great. Also the backstory doesn't tell us much about her history or upbringing, its currently more so her current situation.

@Delirium147: Same again concerning the strengths, skills & weaknesses. Also, the character can't be an older brother to Robert, as that would have made him the King. Robert was able to claim the throne with all known Targaryen's dead aided by a family connection to the Targaryen's, if your character was older he would have be the next in line. His personality could be looked at again too, he's cold and reserved but can be charming? They don't tend to go hand in hand, especially when you consider he's also obstinate and more as described in the weaknesses. I'd also rather you didn't change the parents, while AU-ing over Renly's position is fine altering the parents forces other Baratheon interested characters around the family you're setting up.

@Kate: Yeah, there's no "Archduchess" in Westeros so that won't work (nor is there a Viceroy), also you should probably nail down to position in the Lannister family. Keep in mind the Lannister's are not the Royal family, the Baratheon's are. Magic in Game of Thrones, especially in Westeros itself is extremely low key compared to other forms of fantasy, her hopes for what magic will do for the family are impossible and if she's done as much research into the area as her history would suggest she'd know that.

The Dark Raven

Working on a Stark girl as a lady in waiting, once I get Stark's ok.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Primarch

Quote from: Trafalgar on June 07, 2012, 11:49:40 AM
Could I possibly reserve Head of House Baratheon of Dragonstone?

Certainly

arkhos

Ok, actively working on the Hand of the King.

Not... literally, I mean. Sheesh. ;)

But doing some writing now, should have something finished by tonight. May I reserve, pretty please?

-Ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Primarch

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Primarch on June 07, 2012, 12:18:01 PM
@Rel Mayer: If you could flesh out her strengths, skills & weaknesses into full sentences it would be great. Also the backstory doesn't tell us much about her history or upbringing, its currently more so her current situation.

I'll edit it tonight.

JDrew Spider

Name:  Queen Eveserene
House: Lannister
Titles/Positions: Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, Queen Regent, Protector of the Realm, Lady of Casterly Rock, Lady of Westerlands

Appearance:-> Piercing blue eyes, golden locks that flow down to her back an average height of 5'5. She's very slender in frame, but her legs appear long and elegant.

Equipment: Poison amulet she keeps on her persons
Strengths & Skills: Intellectually she keeps her head among the social circle of idealists and philosophers. She has an acquired skill of critique and judgment. As her father’s oldest child she learned about skills of war and battle, strategy, economy and finance. All of her abilities concerned with ways to gain and maintain power. She is a patient woman, but does have her limits.
Weaknesses: She is a victim of her own sins, mostly lust and pride. She gives advice well, but cannot take it and it quick to ignore the needs of others outside her own family. She truly pretends to feel the need of her people only because her quest for power is all consuming. She can however be the most sensitive woman when the issue of her family is brought up and often makes quick decisions despite the advice of her counsel when she feels disrespected.

Backstory: Daughter of the great Lord  and Lady of Casterly Rock, She was born the second oldest of three siblings. Her mother passed away after the birth of her youngest sibling. She was astute to the arts and condemned to learning the ways of propriety. Even as a young woman she learned early the ways men and war. The best philosophers were her teachers and taught the intelligence was the one true way to power. She had grown up a proper young woman as a lady-in-waiting. Everserene had always been taught to protect the family name by any means necessary and had developed a very close relationship with her older brother.

Despite the brutal politics in her family she had adapted very quickly to ill situations and caught the eye of the king. He father pushed heavily at this union and become wife of King Jacob Baratheon.  Eveserene desired more than that since she was determined to have the Lannister name go down in history and forge many great alliances or chop down those who defied them. In this process of making deals for the ‘betterment’ of the kingdom she would dwell on her oldest brothers desires for she desired him too. She loves him with all her heart and have risked much to keep feelings secret. As for her younger brother she loves as if he was her own son and repeatedly pushes his campaign to rise to power.
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

SeriousMoonlight

I'd quite like to join this, although I haven't reread the books since A Dance with Dragons came out, so I'm afraid my knowledge might be rusty. I think I want to join as a Stark - are there any Starks that have applied already? I don't see any listed in the first post.
Hello, I'm Moon!
My preferred pronouns are they/them/their/theirs/themself! Thank you!
ONs and OFFs + Request Thread

The Dark Raven

Stark and I are playing House Stark (He is James, and I am his sister, Elena.)  He has a Cs up, and mine is in the works. :)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

SeriousMoonlight

Lovely! Could I message the both of you so we can scheme together?  ;D
Hello, I'm Moon!
My preferred pronouns are they/them/their/theirs/themself! Thank you!
ONs and OFFs + Request Thread

Kate

Ok fair enough about the prevalence of magic and titles.

I do recall a witch that did help the dragon-touched girl turn her hubby into a living dead though,
but i gather they may be too far and inbetween or secretive to have their family lineages tracked from afar.

Firstly, its pretty obvious to all i like playing extreme characters

a) If the general "feel of players for this thread" are ones someone else should roll play a "twisted" lannister - all good happy to bow out let others take the reigns

b) If "happy for a "dark lannister" to be played by kate but how dark ? How extreme ? what sort of things feel ok for everyone to enjoy this game ?

I know I often push the boundaries of what is envisaged, so if its easier for a to be relevant all good :) no offense taken. Some idea on a - b would help me.

Rel Mayer

Come be a Martell with me. ;)

Join the darkside!! :P

Delirium147

Quote from: Primarch on June 07, 2012, 12:18:01 PM
@Delirium147: Same again concerning the strengths, skills & weaknesses. Also, the character can't be an older brother to Robert, as that would have made him the King. Robert was able to claim the throne with all known Targaryen's dead aided by a family connection to the Targaryen's, if your character was older he would have be the next in line. His personality could be looked at again too, he's cold and reserved but can be charming? They don't tend to go hand in hand, especially when you consider he's also obstinate and more as described in the weaknesses. I'd also rather you didn't change the parents, while AU-ing over Renly's position is fine altering the parents forces other Baratheon interested characters around the family you're setting up.

Maybe I didn't make it that clear. Let me try to elaborate :-).
For the sake of easy reading I'll answer per point :-).

1: Douglas isn't a brother of Robert. He's his cousin. The age difference in itself isn't that much: Robert was 35 at the time of his death, my character is only 3 years older. As he is his cousin, Douglas Baratheon doesn't have a direct claim on the throne.
2: concerning the personality: cold/reserving + charming don't go hand in hand. I agree, that's what we call it hypocrisy  ;).
3: This is tied to the first issue. The parents aren't Robert's parents, rather the brother of Robert's father. So I'm leaving the structure Robert - Joffrey intact, though I omitted Stannis and Renly.

However, if you still feel you can't agree in spite of my arguments, let me know and I will change the profile. I think the main issue was the relation to Robert.

Ons & Offs
Request Thread
A&As
Available on Discord.

Primarch

Quote from: Delirium147 on June 08, 2012, 07:38:37 AM
1: Douglas isn't a brother of Robert. He's his cousin. The age difference in itself isn't that much: Robert was 35 at the time of his death, my character is only 3 years older. As he is his cousin, Douglas Baratheon doesn't have a direct claim on the throne.
2: concerning the personality: cold/reserving + charming don't go hand in hand. I agree, that's what we call it hypocrisy  ;).
3: This is tied to the first issue. The parents aren't Robert's parents, rather the brother of Robert's father. So I'm leaving the structure Robert - Joffrey intact, though I omitted Stannis and Renly.

However, if you still feel you can't agree in spite of my arguments, let me know and I will change the profile. I think the main issue was the relation to Robert.

Being his cousin causes a very different problem, possibly two. If he's from a cadet branch of House Baratheon he's got no place as Lord of Storm's End, if anybody makes a Baratheon brother to Robert it would be very hard to explain why a brother is replaced by a cousin. The second problem being that depending on your approaching to his lessened claim to a throne it removes his status as one of the Kings in the War of Five Kings, which changes things considerably.

As for his personality, that's not hypocrisy that's just conflicting personality traits. I've personally never met someone with all the negative character traits you've listed for your character and can also be charming. They just don't mesh.

The Dark Raven

Have to work in a few hours, but hoping to get some edits sent your way before I head out today, Primarch. :)

Also, for those who don't know...I work 7 on 7 off, so my schedule is whonky.  Even more so this summer when I have some 7s and mostly 4 on 3 off (due to me covering for another person on the opposite week).  So, best way to get ahold of me is on here, and I can get to things on my phone, but can't post (well, anyway). 

I am always closeby, but I am going on my 7 on today. :)

Delirium147

Quote from: Primarch on June 08, 2012, 09:09:51 AM
Being his cousin causes a very different problem, possibly two. If he's from a cadet branch of House Baratheon he's got no place as Lord of Storm's End, if anybody makes a Baratheon brother to Robert it would be very hard to explain why a brother is replaced by a cousin. The second problem being that depending on your approaching to his lessened claim to a throne it removes his status as one of the Kings in the War of Five Kings, which changes things considerably.

As for his personality, that's not hypocrisy that's just conflicting personality traits. I've personally never met someone with all the negative character traits you've listed for your character and can also be charming. They just don't mesh.

Oh! I didn't know I was supposed to be playing a claimant. Maybe you could outline what the canon is which we are using and what not? Robert is dead, ok. What about the offspring? Is it incestuous or not? I need to know otherwise Douglas' supposed claim to the throne isn't strong. Is Joffrey King on the Iron Throne? Which houses have claimants? You state they're encouraged but what it they aren't filled?

Also, if Robert doesn't have any brothers, the cadet-branch thing isn't an issue. The rights and titles would just pass on to them then.

Two options:
Turning him into Robert's brother then and make the character changes as they seem to spite you so.

Playing as Stannis (with Renly living/existing or not).

What carries your preference? :-)

Ons & Offs
Request Thread
A&As
Available on Discord.

Primarch

Robert will have at least one brother as we have an app coming in and if characters are not replaced by a PC I'm going to generally assume canons are in place. There's also an app for the King being made by Vostroya, you can contact him to get details to resolve the incest issue.

Trafalgar

@Primarch, in what relation should I have my Baratheon to Robert? Cousin, younger brother etc.
Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!

Delirium147

Changed my character. He is now of House Arryn as well.  ;)

See if this is more to your liking, Primarch.

Ons & Offs
Request Thread
A&As
Available on Discord.

Trafalgar

Finished now!

Name: Lord Connor Baratheon
House: Baratheon of Dragonstone
Titles/Positions:
Lord of Dragonstone (Official)
The Lucky Lord

Appearance: (Heavy pic)
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Equipment:
-A short-sword called "Stag March".
-Stiletto which he keeps concealed on him at all times.

Strengths & Skills: Born-leader, persuasive, wiling to do anything for the good of his people, considered lucky by others.
Connor is a "Lord of the people", he has been seen helping farmhands bring in the harvest, mending sails of his fisherman's boats and inviting lower people to his castle banquets. Nothing is more important than the support of the people, and he is loved across the island, its people filled with vigour and enthusiasm for their Lord making the land great once more, this makes them work harder and longer and his troops are more than willing to give their lives for his.
Connor has displayed many moments of luck to his Bannermen at their meetings, taking risks on major political decisions and favouring one lower house over another. As such he has earned the pseudonym the "Lucky Lord".

Weaknesses: Alcohol, takes one too many risks, quick to anger, trusts too easily, more than meets the eye, his own sexual desires.
Behind his "Lord of the people" façade lies one of rape and violence, his bodyguards trade stories of how whores and maids enter his chambers and leave crying and covered in bruises or worse. Tales also tell of him murdering his lover, from a petty dispute over lighting the fireplace at night.

Backstory:
Connor was born the second son of Lord Steffon and Lady Cassana, of House Baratheon. He was raised in the shadow of his older brother, who was heir to the Lord of the Stormlands, as a result Connor's mother and father spent more time grooming and loving him, while Connor was raised by Maester Brynn an old hermit who was more of a father to the young Lord than Steffon ever could. Connor would take all of Maester Brynn's teachings to heart, Brynn told him that a Lord's most valuable resource is his people, and if he ever came to rule his own lands he would need the people eating out of his hands.

When Robert and Connor were still young, they witnessed the death of their parents, Robert was sent to foster with House Arryn while Connor remained within Storm's End, under Maester Brynn's teachings. As he grew the wall between the ruling class and the common people started to disappear, Connor became popular with both rich and poor holding banquets once a month to celebrate the efforts of the people, he would sit in taverns as a teenager and buy every patron within drinks until his purse was empty. He even accompanied his soldiers on patrol's, defending the people of the Stormlands from the age of 16. His teenage life also brought love in the eyes of Juno Swann of House Swann, Bannermen of House Baratheon, the two were inseparable and Connor was rarely seen without her. The two spoke of marriage from a young age, but both were afraid to commit.

When Robert rebelled against the Targaryen's, Connor was first tasked by Robert with defending Storm's Landing, initially the Tyrell attackers counted only 400 men on the walls, but after Connor rallied the hearts of the people the number almost doubled and he held the castle until relief arrived. As the war started to turn, Connor took it upon himself to seize Dragonstone from the Targaryen loyalist's, which he accomplished after a week of siege warfare. Connor spoke personally to the inhabitants of Dragonstone, after Baratheon forces took over the island, he swore to them a better life under the banner of the Stag and told them the age of the Dragon was over. It was slow at first but the people slowly yielded to his rule, bards even wrote a song about his famous speech named, "The age of the Stag". After Robert took the Iron Throne, Connor was given Dragonstone as his seat of authority and founded the cadet House of Baratheon. He continued to hate and serve his brother, helping crush House Greyjoy in their own petty rebellion, no matter how much his people loved him, he was still a figure in the shadow of King Robert.

News of Robert's untimely death did not move Connor, but instead filled him with a new sense of power and opportunity, he knew that his nephew could never rule an entire kingdom and even went so far as to denounce the new king. Though he eventually apologised and swore his loyalty, Connor has already plunged himself into the fires of conflict, his verbal attack on the new king has earned him many enemies already and news of his outburst has sparked a fuse of rebellion back in Dragonstone. His people want him to take his rightful place as King, it is only a matter of time for Connor Baratheon.
Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!

bubby

:(  ....our pic has to be a real pic? But...

I sent you a PM with some questions Primarch.

Primarch

Okay, this game is quickly getting much bigger then I can handle on my own, between the posts that pop up here while I'm away and the PMs I'm receiving I'm starting to lose track of who's doing what.

Before things go any further, is there anyone interested in helping me mod this game? I have no intention of modding it in terms of playing NPCs, but just to keep track of what's going on, resolve what army wins a battle when that happens & sort through characters.

Delirium147

Quote from: Primarch on June 09, 2012, 08:04:19 AM
Okay, this game is quickly getting much bigger then I can handle on my own, between the posts that pop up here while I'm away and the PMs I'm receiving I'm starting to lose track of who's doing what.

Before things go any further, is there anyone interested in helping me mod this game? I have no intention of modding it in terms of playing NPCs, but just to keep track of what's going on, resolve what army wins a battle when that happens & sort through characters.

If nobody else wants to, then I'll chip in. If you'll have me of course :-). I'm new to this site, but I've run my fair share of games on other forums.

Ons & Offs
Request Thread
A&As
Available on Discord.

The Dark Raven

Primarch, I have extensive offsite experience managing games (full forums) over several years.  If you need me, drop me a line. :)