Bhaalspawn Saga (Pathfinder, Forgotten Realms)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2014, 04:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

The Lord of Murder shall perish
But in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny
Chaos will be sown from their passing
So sayeth the wise Alaundo

While I try start on Game of Thrones pathfinder game here, I am not man place all eggs onto one basket. So I take one my favorite gaming stories ever and make it into pathfinder game (the original game was 2th edition DnD rules).

Now I take max 4-6 players to this game and they can play bhaalspawns and you all start in sword coast (some may be Gorion's wards or other people who wards meet on the road). As advance note no one gets play Sarevok or other canon bhaalspawn; the wards or original chars are available to you (so Imoen may make appearance as a NPC).

Now, how present growing 'deitic' powers of bhaalspawn? We will use Mythic Adventure rules. All bhaalspawn qualify being mythic by default being offspring of a god with divine essence in them. But they do not get their first tier until they become 'aware' of their heritage one way or another. How you increase tiers? Simply killing other bhaalspawn (or gain their essence). As note a person who was not born bhaalspawn can become one by killing bhaalspawn and essence then latching onto the killer (and so heritage the mythic rank person he slew).

So with that conclusion you can play as guy who is not bhaalspawn but you get no extras or perks compensate lack of mythic powers. You can gain them in-game by doing killing blow onto bhaalspawn. As one well known movie quote says, PvP is possible in the game. But also you can use other methods extract essence from bhaalspawns (if want play as good guy). All alignments are welcome. Naturally reaching tier 10 in mythic = your on doorstep becoming a new god of murder (or new god entirely if resist the urges of your essence).

I will later detail how different paths get 'bhaalspawn' themed stuff in them and how measure the taint of the essence on person's personality and how resist it. Even if you do not resurrect Bhaal, the essence still can influence you and tempt to walk darker road.

Char generation

Starting Level: 1
Stats: 25 point buy
Class(es) allowed: Core Classes, Base Classes (no gunslinger nor summoner archtype Synthesist without house ruling that your and eidolon's HP is one and same, no temporal HP when summoning it), Alternate Classes and Psionic classes
Starting Gold: 300 to everyone

Callie Del Noire

Oh? What do you have in mind?

Don't like PVP.. always some uber optimized kill hobo over a roleplayer.

Zaer Darkwail

So far quick idea how bhaalspawn essence taints individual is that each tier makes you step down more evil. So if you start as lawful good paladin, tier 1 = no change (default stage). Tier 2 = your lawful neutral (and so ex-paladin). Tier 3 = lawful evil. Only way block this, is to do a mythic level good deed to cancel the change of alignment in next tier. But still you need shank or steal essence from other bhaalspawn.

As note it's not 1 bhaalspawn per tier, each bhaalspawn slain counts towards gaining next tier. So you need 2 bhaalspawn slain to get tier 2 example. Also doing mythic level evil deed (relating to murder) will also gain new tier, it shows innate potential of each bhaalspawn rise to godhood by their own power.

Ofc there is more bhaalspawn and so gives potential for several tier 9 bhaalspawns contesting on power with each other. But once single god rises, all bhaalspawn essence is drawn to the individual (and so survivors become non-mythic).

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 07, 2014, 04:21:45 PM
Don't like PVP.. always some uber optimized kill hobo over a roleplayer.

Well, don't play then I guess  :-\. I intent the game has PvP element to create tension between party members who learn who they are and what they are and what they are destined to do. Without a 'genuine' threat someone walking the dark path and suddenly consumed by bloodlust given by Bhaal essence the tension does not feel a real threat if all go on gentleman agreement OOC not to shank each other. So when you join this game you give your consent on possibility that player can kill you (if he/she succeeds).

Or you can take it as mechanical challenge; make a char who can survive a fellow PC's attack or succeed escape.

Callie Del Noire

Okay.. I'll respectively bow out then.

Sorry..had some very bitter experiences in pvp

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, nice you showed interest anyway. I just hope I get peeps in who do not mind the risk of the PvP :).

Koyume

As a big fan of the Baldur's Gate series, I'm definitely intrigued. Let me make sure I'm getting this right though- will each of our characters ultimately be working completely on their own, against everyone else, or can some of us be allies, starting off in Candlekeep together like the protagonist of the Baldur's Gate games and basically staying allies the whole way through?

Also, will there be any smutty sexiness involved, or is it just going to be a pure bloodbath?

Zaer Darkwail

As said folks can be raised together as Gorion's wards, be outsiders also from Candlekeep and they all can be allies through the whole saga or they can decide betray party later date. I am saying that I do not purposefully encourage party go on each other's throat in first given opportunity (RP matters), but the option to kill your ally to get their essence is a option.

Also of course there is possibility for sex and smut :). Some opportunities made by players and some given by GM. But it would not be main focus/course of the game.

However, if folks feel the PvP is hard barrier I can dissolve it and we can make gentleman agreement not kill fellow party members even if rest bhaalspawn are free prey. But again remember a LG paladin may not approve the killing at all and may seek more peaceful means extract the essence from other bhaalspawn.

Sahariel

Count me in! If you haven't already filled all of the spots =)

Mnemaxa

Three questions. 

1: What races are allowed? (Changelings, Ifrits, and Vishkanya are my current playtoys of my horribly sub-optimal character builds.)

2: What category will this be played in (I'm presuming at the very least Non-Con, but due to multiple murders, I suspect it could go as deep as Extreme).

3: Are archetypes allowed?

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Zaer Darkwail

1) I allow any race with max 15 race points (aasimars meet this cap). So it should cover any featured and uncommon races. But better always ask first. I would allow changeling, Ifrit or Vishkanya race.

2) Extreme considering mass murdering and possible gore and non-con.

3) Archtypes are allowed. But I hold right house rule stuff or ban but assume any archtype is okay (I mentioned already summoner archtype specifically in chargen section).

Quote from: Sahariel on January 08, 2014, 08:24:04 AM
Count me in! If you haven't already filled all of the spots =)

You seen any charsheets here? Ofc there is space :).

Mnemaxa

I'll give it a try.  Hopefully I won't terrify too many of the people on E...

How would you like character sheets done?

I will, if no one minds, make a Changeling Witch, whose Patron is Strength. (Not particularly optimal, but such fun.)

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Zaer Darkwail

I am fine with Mythweavers or typed charsheets. Fine any online sheet so long I can see it.

Xerial

The subject of races has been broached... but about classes. I know they're in play testing, but are you cool with the Advanced Class Guide classes? I've really just been itching to try out the brawler, since it's got all that lovely hand to hand, without the monk-zen stuff.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, you could take Brawler fighter archtype or go martial artist archtype as monk for non-zen stuff. But overall I cannot find brawler class nor Advanced Class Guide from the SRD what I am using so cannot allow it (unless you point me towards a link).

Xerial

It's not in the SRD yet, as the book is still in playtest. The classes, however, have been released in a free download PDF for folk to table them and provide feedback.

The link to the download page is here.

Sahariel

So, pending GM approval I am playing a Dark Elf they played a notable role in BGII =)

Xunafein

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=757350

Mnemaxa

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

TheHangedOne

Jack "The Knife" Heartwood
Male half-elf Soulknife (1)
Alignment: LN

STR: 12
DEX: 16
CON: 12
INT: 12
WIS: 17
CHA: 12

HP: 12
PP: 2 per day (Wild Talent Feat, free for soulknives)

Speed: 30 feet
AC = 16 = 10+3 (studded leather armor), +3 (dexterity)
Touch AC: 13
Flatfooted: 13

INIT: +3 = +3 (dex)
FORT: +1 = 0 (base), +1 (con)
REFL: +5 = 2 (base), +3 (dex)
WILL: +5 = 2 (base), +3 (wis)
Attack (handheld): +2 = 1 (base), +1 (str)
*Weapon Finesse: +4 = 1 (base), +3 (dex)
Attack (Missile): +4 = 1 (base), +3 (dex)
CMB: +2 = 1 (base), +1 (str)
CMD: +15= 10+, 1 (base), +1 (str), +3 (dex)

Light Load: 43 lb. or less
Medium: 44-86 lbs
Heavy: 87-130 lbs
Lift over head: 130 lbs
Lift off ground: 260 lbs
Push or drag: 650 lbs

Languages: Common, Elven

Light Mind Blade [1d6 crit 19-20/x2 range 20 ft, slashing (Shaped like a Kukri)
Studded Leather armor [light; + 3 AC; max dex + 5; check penalty -1 20 lb.]

Feats:

Skill Focus (Stealth)   
    Weapon Finesse    
    Weapon Focus (Mind Blade)   +1 to hit

Acrobatics = 7 +3 (ability), +1 (ranks), +3 (class skill)
Appraise = 1 +1 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Autohypnosis = 7 +3 (ability), +1 (ranks), +3 (class skill)
Bluff = 1 +1 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Climb = +1(ability), +0 (ranks)
Craft = 1+1 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Diplomacy = 3 +1 (ability), +0 (ranks), +2 (half-elf)
Disguise = 1 +1 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Escape Artist = 3 +3 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Fly = 3 +3 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Heal = 3 +3 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Intimidate =5 +1 (ability), +1 (ranks), +3 (class skill)
Knowledge  (psionics) = 5 +1 (ability), +1 (ranks), +3 (class skill)
Perception = 8 +3 (ability), +1 (ranks), +3 (class skill), +1 (half-elf)
Perform = 1 +1 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Ride = 3 +3 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Sense Motive = 3 +3 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Stealth = 6 +3 (ability), +0 (ranks), +3 (skill focus)
Survival = 3 +3 (ability), +0 (ranks)
Swim = 1 +1 (ability), +0 (ranks)

Favored class points: Hit points +1; Skill points +0; Psionic points +0

Half-Elf

This half-elf chose +2 to wisdom (already included)
    Immune to magical sleep

Allowed two favored classes.

Take a skill focus as a bonus feat at level 1

+ 2 racial bonus on saves vs. enchantments

Low-light vision

+ 1 racial bonus on perception checks

+ 2 racial bonus on diplomacy and gather information checks

Soulknife

Level 1: Bonus feat (already chosen), form mind blade, shape mind blade, throw mind blade, +2 psionic points (equivalent of wild talent).

2 lb backpack
Flint and Steel
3 lb rations (3x)
10 lb rope (50', hempen)
8 lbs waterskins (2x)
---
43 lbs total
Check out my poet tree!

Zaer Darkwail

So far three charsheets, I will return to them later today if possible to give comments.

Muse

The concept does interest me, though the PVP elements are horribly disturbing. 

Still, I'd like to tentatively express interest.  If we wind up with a crew full of antipaladins and necromancers I'll bow out. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Muse on January 12, 2014, 09:26:59 AM
  The concept does interest me, though the PVP elements are horribly disturbing. 

Still, I'd like to tentatively express interest.  If we wind up with a crew full of antipaladins and necromancers I'll bow out.

Actually, we're a pretty sub-optimal bunch so far.  The only one who is really dangerous is the drow, more because he's drow rather than because he's a fighter.

TheHangedOne

NE, CN, and LN. Should be an interesting party based on alignments alone.  8-)
Check out my poet tree!

Muse

...Should send me screaming for the hills by alignments alone. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Xerial

I'm going to be Lawful Good, and all emo and conflicted. Yup. Gonna have hair that covers one eye, and carry a three handed sword and everything.