One Crew to Rule it All (Fantasy Gangland RP) Recruiting Now!

Started by Revenent, March 20, 2012, 11:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenent

Middle City

Have you ever wanted to perform a drive-by as a dwarf by flinging battleaxes at your enemy's hangout? Have you ever wanted to crash their party by bringing some uninvited undead in as the waiting staff? Have you ever wondered if a center can wear baggy jeans and chains? Then this may be the RP for you.

The Gangs (Possibly more to come if people have good ideas) -

The Gravediggers: The dwarven clan, whose turf lies in the subways, sewers, and maintenance tunnels under the city, plus whatever they can dig out themselves. These bearded bangers excel at breaking into even the most well-defended ground-level bank vaults, so robberies are a huge chunk of their income.

The Striders: The elves, who excel at marksmanship and make their bases mainly on the rooftops all across the city. Being friends with all living creatures and wildlife, it's rare to find a Strider without a vicious doberman, Rottweiler, or pit bull as a companion.

The Unleashed: This gang is run by an elite group of centaur, but they take in all variety of sub-human riff-raff, including your more animalistic cobolds and werewolves, to your lesser nekos and kitsune. They make great drugrunners.

The Maidenhood: An almost entirely female gang of nymphs, elementals, and Fae folk, they're actually a lot more threatening than the other gangs give them credit for. Their main business is in prostitution (sometimes of their own members, who are usually willing).

The Brothers Fallen: A mafia-like group led by a family of demon-possessed gangsters, this is the second-most powerful gang in the city, if only because they accept ever the worst of the worst: dark wizards, necromancers, vampires, soul-snatchers, they're all here.

The Light of Dawn: The most powerful group in the city, they've managed to pull in a huge number of do-good followers from across the state thanks to their guise of good-will and charity. In reality, this group of angels is corrupt as Hell (pun intended) and practically owns the city's entire business district. Thanks to their army of knights, paladins, and priests, not even the Brothers Fallen can loosen their grip on the city.

Questions, concerns, interest, ideas? Post here or PM me to discuss it. You know how it works by now.

Character Application -

Current Limit: Two Characters

[b]Name:[/b] Self-explanitory, I hope.

[b]Age:[/b] See above.

[b]Race:[/b] If it hasn't already been mentioned in the original post or throughout the topic, just go ahead with it or ask me about it. I'm generally pretty lenient about what I'll allow.

[b]Appearance:[/b] Clothing, physical details, specific qualities that stand out, etc. Feel free to either write it or use an image.

[b]Sexual Preference:[/b] Any and all are welcome. If you want to leave it blank until you've had a chance to feel the character out, go ahead.

[b]Former Gang:[/b] If applicable. If you want to say your character was previously in another gang, or currently is and has to be recruited, take your pick. If you want to make up a gang that they were in, like before, just go for it or check with me.

[b]Gang Position:[/b] Are they a leader, a soldier, a hitman, a dealer, an ambassador, a spy, a healer, a drug alchemist, a weapons-maker, or the ever-popular prostitute? Not limited to just what's listed here, either.

[b]Weapon of Choice:[/b] If you're character is a fighter of any kind, tell us how they bring the pain. Can include blades, bows, gun, magic, or whatever else you can think of. Feel free to include a class, if you wish.

[b]Additional Skills:[/b] From negotiation skills and sneakiness, to non-combatitive magic and alchemy, any abilities your person has that don't directly involve spilling blood, unless they're an interrogator. :P

[b]Personality:[/b] Feel free to be vague here. I know I tend to change my character's personality as I use them more, so just give a general idea of what they might be like, at least at first.

[b]Bio:[/b] How they ended up in the city, what they did with the other gangs, how they ended up falling out, why they're here now, and whatever other details you might find important. Anything from one paragraph to ten is fine, as long as you're willing to elaborate more as the RP goes on.

[b]Theme Song (optional):[/b] Just for a bit of fun.

Related Topics:

Character Thread
OOC Thread
Lilith's Cave (Gang HQ)

Pink Professional

Interesting...Very interesting...

What is the technological state of the city ? You talk about Drive bys and axes. So is it some sort of Steampunk? Is it just a City without Combustion rifles ? Or is it more of a Cliche fantasy city ?

TheVariableX

Maybe they just have strict gun control laws   ;D

It does sound interesting.  A made vampire sounds good, or perhaps a very naughty angel.  A chance to play a prostitute might be fun too.

One note though: centaurs are a pain in the ass.  No... really.  Trying to fit them into any modern setting is too often a fools errand imho.  Cars, escalators, stairs, chairs, trains/subway, door height.  The list goes on and on.  Any city built for non centaur, forces them to be second class citizen if not effectively handicapped.  I'm not saying they shouldn't be there, but I think the full weight of the issue would need to be felt.  People with wings also fall into this to a lesser extent.
NEW: I'm travelling and will be unavailable until about the 26nd
On/Off   Story Requests

PeacethatPowerbrings

Always wanted to play a Faerie hooker with a heart of gold. ;D
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Pink Professional

Revenent

@Pink Professional: It's a modern city, no doubt. Early 21st century. I was actually going to be looking for input on your question though. I wanted to include modern day weaponry to be used alongside swords, shields, battleaxes, etc., but even if this isn't exactly the most realistic setting, I imagine so people would have trouble finding balance when putting a claymore up against an assault rifle, so I may just have to leave guns out. But as I said, I'm always glad to hear other people's opinions.

@Variable: I didn't mention it in the OP because I wasn't entirely set on the idea yet, but centaurs and everyone that runs with them most likely will be second-class citizens due to their "sub-human" nature, so they'll mostly operate out of makeshift slum dwellings that can accommodate their different anatomies, even if they're not exactly luxurious. The higher-class parts of the city most certainly will be built to accommodate those with things, though, thanks to the Light of Dawn's massive influence. Higher doorways to allow their extra wing height, entrances on every floor of offices buildings so they don't have to bother taking the elevators, tailors that make aerodynamic business suits, and so on.  :D

@PtPb: And now you shall. ;D

PeacethatPowerbrings

Doesn't make much sense to leave out guns, really, from my point of view. You'd just have to compensate the fantasy weapons for their disadvantages. If they're somehow magical,  it could explain why they're a legitimate choice, and also, that they're used by more physically powerful creatures, or those that are more able to make use of them. A demon gangster might be able to do a lot more damage with a sword than an assault rifle, even of a human couldn't.

Snowe

I'd absolutely love to join this, loves amazingly fun.

Though I do have a few thoughts that [hopefully, prooobably won't] might help you.

Perhaps all the modern weapons are created from a specific material, it looks similar to steel or silver weaponry of old, except it seems to glow with a lightly neon goo of some sort and is surrounded by a blade of said energy. As they are the exact same material, these weapons can counteract one-another and bullets sort of just..bounce off of blades of the swords. That way you can have swords, axes, spears, pikes; Whatever weapon you want, and they can be used effectively and fairly against all types of guns. 'Cept rockets of course..no one is stupid enough to bring a sword to a rocket fight. *sage nod*

---

In terms of characters, I have -no- idea what to be. Elf maybe? Gnome pickpocket? Crazy wood elf who lives with a bunch of animals? A succubus with dual-personality disorder who thinks she's an angel and is thus abstinent? Oor maybe a heavy-drinking dwarf lass who likes to fight the menfolk, and enjoys long strolls off a shot pier and drive-by tomahawkings!  :P
My frozen dairy beverage bringeth all the gentlefolk to the yard and they claim, 'Surely, tis better than thine! Surely, tis better than thine!' I'd instruct you, though I must levy a fee.

Vandren

Quote from: PeacethatPowerbrings on March 20, 2012, 02:25:48 PM
You'd just have to compensate the fantasy weapons for their disadvantages. If they're somehow magical,  it could explain why they're a legitimate choice,

One option is the D&D option (also used by Michael Scott and, to a lesser extent by Rick Riordan): guns count as non-magical weapons and have a hard time injuring magical races (not necessarily all races, but enough races to make a sword or bow a more practical option).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Revenent

I was thinking something similar to all of these would help keep guns available for whoever wants them. Shall we say that guns can't be as readily enchanted, and they're are spells and armors that are able to counter them effectively, so they're no more effective in a battle than anything else? It could work sort of like Final Fantasy and other JRPGs, where, sure, you can use guns over swords and bows, but they're generally not going to be an instant kill.

And I totally forgot about gnomes. >_< Should we just say they're part of the Gravediggers, like maybe they build machines for them and help soup up their rides? Now that I think about it, we'll probably need a gang for goblins, too. It could always be a minor one, though.

Pink Professional

PeacethatPowerbrings

Gnomes could go with dwarves, I think, yeah. It would make sense for them to be building and running machines and vehicles, while the dwarves do the heavy lifting.

Pixies could do something similar for the Maidenhood, but with less elbow grease, and more ribbons.  ;D

Revenent

Sound like a great idea to me, Peace. Someone needs to get the girls dolled up, right? ;D

Anyway, even though there's already five interested, which is more than I usually get this quickly, I'm going to hold off on the character sheet just for the moment, at least until I see how many more we can get. My reason is that if we have a smaller group, splitting everyone up into half a dozen or more gangs won't exactly work like a dream, so we may have to work something else out if we don't have enough people. One possibility is that the group, having all sorts of different races and specialties, comes together to form a completely new gang that then tries to retake the city from the current heavy-hitters, or something like that. As always, though, thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome.

Don't take that as me getting impatient, though. I know there's still plenty of time for more people to join in, assuming they will. :-)

PeacethatPowerbrings

Quote from: Revenent on March 20, 2012, 06:27:10 PM
Sound like a great idea to me, Peace. Someone needs to get the girls dolled up, right? ;D

It isn't easy to stay looking like sunlight and love, this takes time, and apparently, pixies. :P

TheVariableX

There could be possibilities for inter racial / gang action too.  Stereotypes are their so people know what is considered normal, but they should be flexible.

Maybe an angel is so bad (or too good?) and gets kicked out of The Light of Dawn.  Just because it isn't their main area, doesn't mean an elf couldn't be selling herself, or be pimped out.

I do see why you would want to keep 4-8 people within a socially close group, or maybe just to two separate groups for a 6 - 12+ game.  Maybe people could give a 1, 2, 3 preference to what gang they would want to be in, and we can see if there is a lot of common ground.
On/Off   Story Requests

Revenent

Yeah, I think I'll want to see what gangs people want to be a part of before I assume it'll be too split up. I want it to be diverse, of course, but not so much that we don't have much reason to have our characters actually meet.

TheVariableX

I could run with...

An Angel is a star crossed relationship.  Vampire, demon, orc ... maybe a centaur if someone wanted to go there.

A human sorceress recently released from jail and a new convert to a necromancy.

A poor elven prostitute that the world keeps shitting on.  (Metaphorically only!)
On/Off   Story Requests

PeacethatPowerbrings

You can probably guess what I'd prefer to do. Faerie...prostitute.  XD

After that...maybe an angel, or an elf.

Presumably the gangs aren't all at war with one another constantly, so there would be potential in a shared location, like club, or bar, that is open to members of all the gangs, and then shared ventures could arise that provide mutual threat, or interest to individuals of different gangs.

Azaria

O.o
okay I love this idea ... & I'm sooo in :D if you take me of course >_>
I would love to either play a Faerie or an elf ^^

Starlequin

I think I'd like to join this as well, Revenant. Maybe a higher-up in the Light of Dawn, or a bookie/broker for the Brothers. (Unless there are only enough players to form one new gang rather than spread out among the factions, then I'll...come up with something else.)

Edit: On second thought, I'm withdrawing. Hope your game goes well.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Sephiriel

Def interested in The Maidenhood, maybe I'll be going with a nymph. How is this going to work actually? Do we have characters as rulers for every gang, professional do's and dont's, unwritten laws for fights, certain areas that are ruled by just one gang etc?

Revenent

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still here, I'm just having some difficulty thinking of what direction to take this. Sounds like I'm hearing a lot of faeries, elf, nymphs, and angels, so if we were to stick everyone in one gang, it would probably either be the Light of Dawn (not idea), the Maidenhood, or an entirely new one. Does anyone object to it being about a single gang seeking city-wide domination, since it looks like we're having a smaller group?

PeacethatPowerbrings

I don't have any objections to that, though you could have the Maidenhood make a treaty with the Light of Dawn, and then do both.

Pink Professional

I think we could easily make one new gang.

Our group of miscreants and misfits join together for one reason or the other.

At first, aforementioned group of misfits and Miscreants would be laughed at. Breaking into the Status Quo in the city ? Preposterous! No one can break the grip of any of the gangs. So we'd be allowed to exist, obviously doomed to failure...Until we take out one of the gangs...Like the Maidenhood.

Now that a gang has been taken down, We are suddenly a serious threat...Then shit would hit the proverbial, whore infested-Monster roaming fan.

Vaulera

I am interested in playing most definitely, I would be fine with almost every one of those gangs, just not as a dorf. More particularly as a female member of the brothers fallen, kneecapping faeries for protection money would be the best moment of any roleplay I have ever done.