News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Random thoughts..

Started by Sherona, December 01, 2007, 10:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Ah, yes, the ol' Black Box effect.  :)

Look at it this way--the problem is not whether you can be located within a few feet.  There are times when this is a GOOD thing (say, in a medical emergency).  The problem is a) who can do this, b) why they might want to, and c) what they could do with the information.

You've heard the old saw about 'if you have nothing to hide, then there's no reason for concern about your privacy'?  The flipside of that is that YOU do not get to decide whether or not you have anything to hide!

Who watches the Watchmen, indeed.

:P

In fairness to the Thought Police, though, keep in mind how much it must suck, getting to know someone very, very well through surveilance and yet never being able to admit or demonstrate any developing sympathy.  Sort of like getting really attached to a character in a soap opera, only with worse consequences.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

I never did believe the old adage of "who cares if you have nothing to hide" That just opens up a whole new can of worms. Indeed who decides who has something to hide or not? I, personally, have nothing to hide that would get me into legal troubles..perhaps a few social issues if someone were to be able to develop tech that would read my mind and find out exactly how I feel about society. Otherwise I really have nothing to hide, but the point of the matter is what happens if something happens and there was this massive take over of the government by some of the religious MAJOR fanatics (I am talking the major ones who bomb abortion clinics and beat up people they suspect might be homosexual..not the normal every day really great ones..)

That could mean that I would need to hide..however unlikely that is, I do like to be prepared, and plan for these little what ifs...welcome to the disturbed mind of Sherona :P

MadPanda

You mean domestic terrorists?  Yeah, I know who you mean.  (shakes head)  Nice to see DHS is so concerned about the internal threat, huh?

Stay alert.  Trust no one.  Keep your taser handy.

In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

Domestic terrorists, those sweet old ladies that make you feel all squirmy when they look at you really hard..

MadPanda

Hell's Grannies?  Senile Delinquents?  (has Monty Python flashback)

In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

Since I started talking to people online I hear so much about this Monty Python..and I have no clue who he is. I keep getting this image of this HUGE python in a cheap toupee..

MadPanda

Oh, dear.  Have you at least seen the Princess Bride?

( ??? :o )

In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

nope don't think so. I think I am the only one who doesn't know who this guy (or is he a character?) is. I just typically do some random remark when someone mentions him like a "Grin" or a "smile".

MadPanda

Aiyaaaahhh...

Monty Python was a Brit skit comedy troupe (consisting of Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin, and an American named Terry Gilliam).  They did a couple of seasons on BBC and a few movies. The humor can be an acquired taste, admittedly.

In Memory of Bishrook

Avi

*starts a petition to get Sherona to watch Monty Python* :P
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sherona

oh so its not just one person. I had gathered it was a comic thing, just thought perhaps it was a single person.

HairyHeretic

Nope, comedy show, and a rather deranged one :)

I can heartily recommend the Holy Grail and Life of Brian movies, as well as the Flying Circus tv show.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MadPanda

(snicker)
Ah, yes, Life of Brian!

In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

Random thought:

When did turkey become the traditional main dish at thanksgiving(at least in teh US during US turkey day)? I know more and more people are drifting away from this bird, going with ham, or vegetarian stuff (butternut squash for the win) but still its..a huge tradition. Just wondering why :)

MadPanda

Right around the First World War, I think it was.  Before that, turkey on Thanksgiving was mostly a New England thing.

Holiday meals mean a lot to soldiers, for some funny reason.  Can't think why  :P  And after the war, the habit just kind of spread when all the draftees mustered out.

Doubtlessly someone will find a bit of documentation with a better answer for you  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

*grins* I will go find a few of the sites I had found the answers on. Was just something I found interesting, figured might spark more conversation :)

I personally dislike most turkey preparation..but a good deep fried turkey is just tops :)

MadPanda

Well, somewhere out there is a free little demo wargame involving some poor putz named Mordecai, whose thankless task it is to bag a turkey for dinner...

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/files/TurkeyShoot.pdf

Folks forget that the wild turkey is not a stupid bird by any stretch of the imagination.  They're also not exactly canaries--in the neighborhood of sixty pounds (call it, oh, twenty five kilos) or so.  Hard to miss a target that big, even with a smoothbore musket.   :P

In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

*nodnods* Just the other day I was driving to an appointment and I saw about 5-6 wild turkeys in a field near my house. Beautiful creatures really.

MadPanda

Unfortunately, in Turkey Shoot they are not allowed to return fire...

"Hi, I'm with the NRA...Nature's Revenge Association."  BLAM!!!

(see also Deer Avenger, Deer Avenger 2, Deer Avenger 3D...)

In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

*pictures a turkey with a AK-47, black paint beneath its eyes, and a red bandana Rambo-esque*

MadPanda

(Deer Avenger, by the by, was a parody game of all those Deer Hunter titles.  The Deer got to return fire with an M-16, Bazooka, or a slingshot firing fresh deer droppings.  You got your choice of three locations--Connecticut, Minnesota, or West Virginia--and a number of interesting human targets, one of whom looked quite a bit like a young Charleton Heston.)

(The 'hunter calls' were particularly entertaining.  One was a sultry female giggle followed by 'I'm naked!  And I have a pizza!' )

In Memory of Bishrook

Sherona

*laughs* Sounds very entertaining hehe

MadPanda

Yep.  Definitely worth it for the one-liners.

"Come on, magic circle, find me a hunter..."

In Memory of Bishrook

Lancis

very entertaining and of course you can never go wrong with leisure suit larry either!
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Sakujo

Quote from: Sherona on December 01, 2007, 10:14:07 PM
Ok, been told that some people actually might want to hear my random thoughts and participate in discussion of said thoughts rather then me just discussing such random nuggets only in pm.

That being said here is my first one. Now I would rather EVERYONE be comfortable posting and putting thier two cents in, and though this thread is for random silliness please try to withhold grabbing, fondling or anything else :)

anyways ok random thought number 1.

Animal rights activists. I am talking the extreme ones who run around throwing paint on fur coats, who refuse to eat anything that even comes from a living animal, and such. Hey, they have rights to their opinion.

But my question is. What makes an animal ..an animal. Ok, lets not shave poor little minxy over there cause its cruel..thats great..Ooo look at that cute little cow, dont drink their milk..whatever..but are insects animals too? Are they worth protecting?

If so..if one of them catches head lice what do they do? Washing them with the shampoo for it kills them..even combing out the nits can technically be considered killing them.

Btw, I put this in on topic becuas enever know what will run through my head >.>

For those of you reading this and saying wtf cares? sorry :P

Yay! A topic I can post in before I'm verified or whatever!

You bring up a really great question, honestly, when asking what defines an "animal" for protection purposes to these groups, because it's essentially like asking what a "person" is. If they mean all life that has senses, for example, that's an extremely broad definition, and, by that logic, I wonder what the smallest thing to be protected would be. What counts as senses?

Personally, I define animals in that very broad sense, anything that has senses and nourishes itself (This, I think, excludes plants).

I'm also someone who answers the personhood question by saying that a person is one who nourishes itself, has senses, feels pain and pleasure, and has perceptible rational thought. Rational thought, in this case, means something beyond mere motor reactions or copying behavior. In other words, something another can identify as actually thinking and seeming alive. (That is to say that computers as we know them are excluded, because it would be irrational for us to believe they felt pain until they became more advanced.)

This definition excludes some young "human DNA" beings, and includes some higher animals aside of humans.

Of course, this is all basic ethical philosophy. :D
Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on October 16, 2007, 07:52:07 pm
"Intelligence reports are useful only to the intelligent."
-- Robert A. Heinlein