Welcome to erato

Started by Vekseid, August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Erato is the name of the server. I decided to name the Chicago servers after goddesses related to the Greek muses. The slave server is named Mnemosyne. She remembers all that you post, and exchanges backups with the remote backup server (Skadi in Florida.

The AJAX Chat is open for business. This is entirely experimental - we'll see how well the server handles it.

I set the DNS cache to a rather large number for Elliquiy, because we use a premium DNS provider and they charge a fee per ten million queries - something we could in theory exhaust. Though I changed it to five minutes some hours ago, people are probably still stuck with the old IP address, and others have edited their hosts file to point to the old IP address.

In the former case, opening up a command prompt and (in Windows) running
ipconfig /flushdns
and restarting your browser may help.

In the latter case, you will need to set your hosts file to the new ip address:
208.117.11.90           elliquiy.com

On a related note (people editing the hosts file to get around dns-based censorship), depending on how AJAX chat handles things, I am wondering what people may think of globally forcing ssl on site-wide ( https://elliquiy.com ) - this ends up circumventing the vast majority of cases of censorship and snooping, and having a new IP address gives us a good opportunity to do this.

People will need to be sure they can get to the https version of the site, however.

Majere Dreavan

I love you, You're awesome. you should get a nice long hard rest.:D

desert ashes

Thank you so much, Vekseid! <3  (And so loving the Greek muses!)
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Kye

Yay! Thank you for all your hard work, Veks.

Falanor

shooter6806

Thanks, Veks.  You are appreciated more than you know. 
Youth, exuberance, and enthusiasm are no match for age, experience, and treachery.

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.  Should be a convenience store, not a federal agency.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Crash

Thanks Veks.  Great job!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Ember Star

funky dunk! We're back! Thankies, Veks!
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Galactic Druid

Feels good to be back! Thanks for all your hard work Veks!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

MolotovXsugaR

Thanks for all the hard work Vek! 

♥ It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything - Tyler Durden ♥

Leyarite

Good news everyone !  :P

The names of the servers are cool and well chosen. Thanks for the hard work Vekseid.

Cycle

Thank you, Veks!  That was an impressive piece of work.

Gavlois

We are all ever grateful for the server admin stuff you have to do Veks.
O/O

Serephino

It's good to finally have everything back.

Nico

AidenWhite

My Request Thread + info about me!
My O/O's ~ AidenWhite O/Os - UPDATED: 08/01/2024 (dd/mm/yyyy)
My availability for One on One's (Solos): Available! PM at your own risk.

ReijiTabibito

I'm kinda guessing full functionality is not up on the site, yet?  I'm posting this and I don't see any of the usual text modification options...plus, my normal links to the site are still bringing me to the Troll page...

ObscureObscenities

Thanks for all the hard work!

Observing Trifles

Thanks for all that you do, Vekseid.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Josietta

That was quicker than expected!  Thanks for the hard work Veks! Should I send over the girls now or later? ;)

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Blitzy

Wooooooooo!

Thank you, Veks! I am sooo happy it is all back up! And that the shoutbox is back!
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Vekseid

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on August 19, 2013, 11:31:54 PM
I'm kinda guessing full functionality is not up on the site, yet?  I'm posting this and I don't see any of the usual text modification options...plus, my normal links to the site are still bringing me to the Troll page...

Everything should be working, but your browser could be in a 'half-doesn't-get it' state - try the DNS suggestions mentioned above.

BAMF

Yay! Thank you so much, Veks! You are awesome!

»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Hera

Hooray!

*sets down suitcases*  Looks good over here!

Thank you for all you do, and for spending all day getting things up and running.