Interest check: X-Com

Started by Brandon, March 07, 2012, 10:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

April 30th, 2013 marked a historic day in human history when radar stations around the world detected a large object entering the earth's atmosphere. At first many thought it was a meteor about the size of a battleship but just before it reached the atmosphere it began slowing down. Just over Greenland the night time clouds parted as the spherical object pierced the opaque clouds and hovered in the sky for all to see. Its frightening mass and dark blue luminescent lights shining brightly. At first glance the people of Greenland knew that it wasn't a meteor they had been seeing on their equipment, it was some kind of vessel.

It hovered there for only a moment, silent and looming like the darkness of night itself before it began traveling southwest over the Atlantic ocean. Both Canadian and United states forces launched interceptors to guard their air space and observe the vessel. Both task forces arrived at the same time but the American squadron composed of mostly F35 lightnings closed for a closer look to the vessel. A moment later the sky over Nova Scotia and Maine was ablaze as beams of light seemed to fire for miles, shredding Canadian and American forces.

The leftover forces engaged the vessel as best they could but incurred heavy losses. Yet somehow, as if by the grace of god, the vessel began loosing altitude till it crashed into the Atlantic ocean. Of four dozen planes only seven returned to their homes. This incident would soon be known as the Atlantic skies incident.

Within hours of the vessel crashing Canadian and US forces arrived to salvage the wreck, luckily working under a joint treaty to share information equally. They pulled up the shattered remains of the vessel and what was left of the crew within, confirming that this was our First contact with an alien race. Unfortunately the only information that could be pulled from the vessel's flight logs was that it was a lone advanced vessel. More were coming.

To respond to the potential threat both countries founded the Extraterrestrial combat unit, later to be known as X-Com. However it wasn't long before funding was being offered from countries around the world, all fearful for what the next UFO would bring and who it would threaten. Seemingly overnight X-Com became the silent but ever respected hero's of mankind, each one coming from all walks of life whether it be the United States Delta force or warriors from little known Amazonian tribes. Only the paragon's of humanity were allowed into the program. Soldiers, scientists, engineers, and spies. Everyone had a place but only for the truly elite of their field.

Another year passed before the radar stations detected the anomalies once again but this time instead of one it was a handful entering the atmosphere from all manner of places. X-Com was called upon to fulfill its duty to Earth.

We don't know who they are. We don't know what they want. We don't know where they come from. The only things we know is they are out there, they have begun to take people, and there is only one group that can stop them...

-----------------------------------------------------

This X-Com game is a game based off of the video game where the player runs an international agency tasked with stopping a UFO invasion from several different alien species. However this roleplaying game focuses more upon the operatives then the commander. I wanted a nice Grim dark and apocalyptic feeling for this game where failure means a fate worse then death

I'm going to run this as a freeform game where the operatives are given various missions. Over time story missions will come out and eventually the enemy that earth doesn't know will become intimately known.

As mentioned earlier theres room for a lot of variety in the game. We need soldiers, pilots, scientists, engineers, and more. Just about anyone from any walk of life can find themselves a place in X-Com

So who's interested in a long running game of apocalyptic feel as an Alien invasion begins?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

shadow2k

This looks like a cool idea, though I have no idea what kind of character I'd play.  I'll keep an eye on it though and join up if I think of something.
I've been described as "The trashy romance novelist variety of game designer."
My Characters:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=230746.0

Sanai

Hell. Freakin. Yes.
Id love to play a fighter or dropship pilot.
Will people get captured and experimented on in the line of duty?
Or perhaps, will XCOMs scientists themselves perform experiments on their own people?
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

Chaeronea

Hell yes!!! I loved this game when I first played it on the PC! Are our characters going to get access to more advanced gear developed by X-Com scientists as the game progresses? Finally, a possibility that has been brought up in several fanfics but wasn't included in the game itself was the X-Com scientists augmenting X-Com soldiers by infusing them with alien DNA to 'improve' them (Floater or Sectoid DNA to improve psychic potential, etc) - would that be in there?

Brandon

Quote from: Sanai on March 08, 2012, 01:25:50 AM
Hell. Freakin. Yes.
Id love to play a fighter or dropship pilot.
Will people get captured and experimented on in the line of duty?
Or perhaps, will XCOMs scientists themselves perform experiments on their own people?

Captured, sure. Experimented on, that depends on the person. Im not going to force that on someone who doesnt want it to happen

Experiments on X-Com operatives is also something Im going to say is a case by case basis. If a person wants it to happen sure, if a person wants to avoid it no way

Quote from: Chaeronea on March 08, 2012, 02:43:37 AM
Hell yes!!! I loved this game when I first played it on the PC! Are our characters going to get access to more advanced gear developed by X-Com scientists as the game progresses? Finally, a possibility that has been brought up in several fanfics but wasn't included in the game itself was the X-Com scientists augmenting X-Com soldiers by infusing them with alien DNA to 'improve' them (Floater or Sectoid DNA to improve psychic potential, etc) - would that be in there?

Scientists will have a variety of equipment and information they can research over time. Once manufactured it will become something the operatives can use

Im not going to say no on augmentation of X-Com operatives. I am going to say that it will not be a completely positive experience. For example if you want to have the super strength of a Muton then thats fine, accompanied with the crippling pain of having your bones crushed by your own muscle mass.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wintercat

Damn. I looked at the thread and thought how many times I've thought this would be fun but wasn't sure if there was enough fans here to make it work. Plus wasn't sure how to pull it off either.

Definitely interested, I've been a fan of the series from the Original "UFO - Enemy Unknown" game (and its sequel "X-COM: Terror From the Deep" and "X-COM: Apocalypse") to the 'New' UFO series (Aftermath, Aftershock, Afterlight). I have actually bought all 6 above mentioned games, and played them a fair bit.

The setting you have put up looks good and the new take looks promising. I suppose a lot of threats are waiting ahead then. Hmm. Well, I think this would be a lot of fun to play along in.

I'd volunteer a strong Psychic potential human, but I figure it'll be a fairly long time before Psionics even become a real factor for the recruitment of troops. Still, the thought there interests me the most still. I like the idea of a human that is outright damn stubborn, and might even be seen as a less useful squad member because of not being so physically 'buff' and muscular but perhaps alert and aware to a level that has made him useful for 'scout' or 'sniper' duties before psionics come up.

Of course, also interested in a variety of other roles, from a weirdo fighter pilot to an eccentric XCOM scientist, to more unorthodox options as well. These would be backup ideas, as said, but got a lot of them.

Anyway, a great idea and figure giving this a day or two, you'll draw out the other X-COM series fans to come at least take a look.

Not sure if I'll be able to play given the amount of games I already got to think about but I seem to be keen on picking up stuff that interests me and then sticking to it. Even so, figure would have to hear what the Storyteller is looking for in this.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A