On Tour (band needed)

Started by Rollard, October 22, 2010, 08:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollard

I've been wanting to do a group RP about a touring rock band, the lifestyle they lead on and off stage, and how their relationships change over the tour. Here are the parts we would need:

Lead Singer
Lead Guitarist (me)
Drummer
Bassist

Optional Parts:
Second Guitarist
Rhythm Guitarist
Backup Singer
Keyboardist

Other Characters:
Band Manager
Road Crew
Public Relations Firm
Devoted Fans/Groupies
Opening Acts/Guest Stars/Rival Bands

Also, 4 days from the time of this post, Rock Band 3 will be released. If we can assemble a full band (Singer, Guitarist, Drummer, Bassist, Keyboardist) and adequately detailed physical descriptions for each member are provided, I will take a picture of the band via the Rock Band website and share it with all.

kingOFcalifornication

yuna0417

Le Immortelle

Definitely interested in singer spot!

Venom09

whatever singer part Amazon doesn't get ill take! ;D

otherwise i could be a opening act or something... ;D

lovelygirl

Slowly getting back to posting

Ons &Offs
A &A's updated 3/27/16 UPDATE Very Important!

Rollard

Well, it looks like we have the requisite people...how about you create your characters? Something befitting of a rock band. Try this template:

Name:
Appearance: (Describe age, height, weight, build, fashion, etc. or provide a reference picture)
Background: (How did your character get into the music industry?)
Inspirations: (What real-life artists inspired your character's musical style?)

And there might be more that I'm missing.

Now then, what shall our band be called? What sort of rock & roll will they be playing? Where will they be touring? Perhaps this will become more clear as the band members are developed.

kingOFcalifornication

As for names, maybe something odd like
As for style, no idea. Anything works I suppose. But I feel like an alternative rock-ish sort of band allows for a more diverse set of characters.
Touring could be anywhere. Japan? Europe?

Name: Jack Reed.
Appearance: 24 years of age. An even six feet tall and weighting a relatively average 169 lbs. Fairly thin build, though well-toned. Known to dress very casually, typically in a pair of well-worn jeans and a plaid button-up shirt. A head of medium length red hair, as well as a slightly sloppy goatee.
Background: Jack grew up deep within the urban sprawl of Atlanta, Georgia where the music scene was vast and diverse. His father was stationed overseas in the military while his mother worked as a nurse at the local hospital. The boy spent the majority of his childhood occupying himself with video games and his then scarce interest in music. By the beginning of his middle school years, he developed an interest in music, adapting quickly to learn. During high school, Jack had already become quite knowledgeable concerning music theory and had branched into multiple instruments. It was then that he began his first bands, most of them serving only as a brief creative outlet to channel his countless thoughts and feelings. Only after graduating did he find the possibility of a successful band.
Inspirations: With an array of scenes within his hometown, Jack was introduced to much in the way of music. His early years were primarily filled with the experimental sounds of the Beatles, guitar-driven music of Led Zeppelin, and the gritty rock of the underground scenes. The boy's tastes reached outwards to include the pioneering inventor of grunge, Nirvana, as well as many other bands in similar company such as Dinosaur Jr. In his high school years, Jack discovered the realm of independent rock and quickly grew to love everything from Neutral Milk Hotel to Modest Mouse, Townes Van Zandt to The Avett Brothers, and well-respected titles like the Pixies and Sonic Youth. To say the least, Jack maintains a wealth of musical tastes, all of which he infuses uniquely into his bass tracks.

Insight

Hey, I'm a music major and I play all of those instruments. I'd love to be a guitarist, singer, keyboardist or (if we shall be so daring) a saxophone player.

Let me know how I can help.
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

Venom09

Name: Talen Jameson
Appearance: age 25

Background: Ever since she was younger friends told Talen her voice was amazing, but she never really thought it was that good until one day after hanging out with a friend and listening to the radio to some of her favorite alternative bands such as nickleback and such even some of the harder bands she heard of a contest for people just out there to sing for fun. Deciding you know what the heck i'll try it Talen signed up and happily has never looked back.
Inspirations: Just a few of her favorite bands such as Nickleback and Birthday Massacre then of course her friends who always are there for her and support her.

Angel Fire

Since my first love in the bass is taken, I would love to be in as the rhythm or second guitarist and maybe a backup singer if needed.

Stage name: Tiffani Oriani
Appearance:
Background: Mallory had always had a love for music and with her family having a lot of musical talent, that had flowed down to her in many ways.  Her family was very musically oriented and they had encouraged her to explore all of the musical avenues that were available to her but of course, there were some speed bumps along the way.  In her teenage years, there was a lot of confusion going through her mind.  She was not sure if she would follow her parent's footsteps but after some really helpful advice, she was able to start out a month later with a small garage band and a lot of helpful friends.  The band had played a lot of local shows for about a year but when an insider in the music industry had suggested that she should concentrate on one instrument, that was when that Mal started to get her focus.  It had taken a long time and many trips from coast to coast with her fledgling band but when she was finally noticed by the head of a recording company, he had suggested that Mal should try out for the new project that would be up and coming.  With the unknown coming into Mal's life, she had hoped that she could find someone to help her through the crazy life that is the life on the road.

Inspirations: Mal's inspiration comes from a lot of musical styles.  She is fond of the hard and heavy musical style of old school thrash metal (Ala Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth et al)) but she also likes the progressive styles of Rush, Pink Floyd and Dream Theater.  Mal is very diverse in her style and though she does not like to lead, she will be happy to contribute in any new ideas that may come to mind. 

Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Le Immortelle

If I may make a suggestion, why not draft a more detailed character sheet so that it would be easier? Maybe add their on's and off's. Strengths and weaknesses etc.?

I've added some details of my own quickly, I hope you don't mind.

Name: Liz Chase
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140 lbs
Appearance: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R5WS6_kmmTI/S1C2mSTPzHI/AAAAAAAAlho/325OLWHGdao/s1600-h/kstr.jpg

Background: Ever since childhood Liz knew she was destined for something big. Her love for music and singing in particular developed on since an early age as her older brother was a guitarist himself. She formed her first band at the age of 16 with her brother, Ricky named The Fresh Juice. They played local gigs for next couple of years and built a rabid following through their intense live performances and their electrifying frontwoman. The band broke up when Ricky chose to leave in order to search for something bigger and to give his progressive rock leanings more freedom, whilst Liz was always more into alternative styles of music with shoegaze and grunge being her favorites. She joined few bands afterwards but didn't click with most of them that is, until she formed the current band. (Leaving it a bit vague since we haven't settled on name etc.)

Largely self taught, and learned by merely observing her favorite artists before eventually developing her own style of singing. She's an extremely charismatic woman, a trait which as a frontwoman of any band she's fronting attracts lot of attention.

Inspirations: The Verve, Soundgarden, Black Box Recorder, Led Zeppelin, Veruca Salt, Lush, Garbage, Curve, Kyuss. Her typical singing style is a mixture of female version of Richard Ashcroft and Sarah Nixey.

Rollard

Might as well post mine...

Name: Randy Cox

Appearance: Randy is somewhere around 5'10", 150 lbs., and in his early twenties. He has long golden hair and a soft facial structure with hazel eyes. He is usually seen wearing leather jackets and pants, and on stage he makes it even moreso, wearing leather and cuffs adorned with spikes. On the stage he usually plays his "Flying-V" guitar.

Background: Fresh out of college having taken music theory courses, Randy and a few of his classmates were quick to form a heavy metal band called the Chainbreakers, who signed up with Silver Hammer Records to record their debut album "Heavy Metal Hero", which spawned the hit single of the same name. After the album was released, however, the band soon broke up under undisclosed circumstances, and Randy was left searching to start a new band. He eventually joined up with Jack Reed, Talen Jameson, Mallory Shanley,
and Liz Chase to form a new band, and go on tour to promote their debut album.

Influences: Randy was always a fan of rock and metal from the 80s, taking after bands like Judas Priest, Ratt, AC/DC, Whitesnake, Poison, Def Leppard, and ZZ Top. He started playing simple rock rhythms and progressed on to a traditional heavy metal sound in the vein of Maiden, Priest, and Ozzy. He prefers his music with catchy guitar riffs, driving beats, and blazing solos.

kingOFcalifornication

Welp, now that we've gotten all the character profiles, WHAT NOW?!

lovelygirl

Is there a band name yet? I've been waiting to post my groupie profile since most of her profile is based on the band and the music they play.

Ons &Offs

yuna0417

Name:Hisako Irie
Appearance:

Background: Music was her life, like any good girl she was put into music classes early.  Piano, Violin, other instruments, singing and vocal classes as well, when junior high came around she was put into a music program to foster talent, and that continued on through high school and college.  Earning a Bachelors of arts in Music, she went on to work with a label, composing and writing music until she joined the other members of the band as their drummer.
Inspirations: Taiko drummers, Ozzy, Zombie, and the classical composers, Metallica's S&M album is a favorite.

Rollard

We do need a name for our band. Does anyone have suggestions?

Here's mine: Neon Knights, after the Black Sabbath song.

Le Immortelle

Here's some -

Cosmic Travellers
The Vultures
The Day Fuckers
Holographic Universe
All Tomorrow's Parties
Snuff

kingOFcalifornication

Here's a bunch of random names to throw into the list of possible band names.

The Sinister Kids
Frances Farmer's Revenge
Pony Diggers
Maxwell and the Silver Hammers
Two Headed Boys
Moon Man's Montreux
Rubber Revolver
Satanic Majesty
Major Tom

Angel Fire

Since the majority of the band is female, maybe we can go with either Eve Rises or Eve Awakens?

Just a couple of more names to throw out there.
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.

Rollard

I was about to suggest Valkyrie, but according to Wikipedia it's already been taken. So how about "Wagner and the Flying Valkyries"? It embodies the feminine majority of the band rather well.

Le Immortelle

Lol it so totally sounds like a power metal band!

What kind of music the band would be playing anyways?

Edit: Btw if we are gonna go with the word Valkyrie in the name, then Valkyrie Rising would be a fantastic name in my opinion. Assuming of course, there's no other band by that name...at least I can't seem to recall one.

Angel Fire

The only band that I had found that was named "Valkyrie Rising" was from an unsigned band so I say that it is free game.  Love the name and the feeling it gives out!  Sweet suggestion Amazon! *Hugs*

Venom09

I agree i like Valkyrie Rising! i really do! hehe

Rollard

Well, I don't have any problems with Valkyrie Rising.

So what was your idea for a fan or groupie, lovelygirl11?

lovelygirl

I was thinking about her being like one of those girls that has the rock and roll fantasy lifestyle, but she's not psycho. She's a true fan, the kind of girl that just wants to get noticed and invited backstage. She knows every lyric, and travels to the states closest to her to see them, so she'd go to see them many times, but could not afford to follow them everywhere they toured. She's sexy, but keeps it understated, and not all "in your face" with her hot looks. She loves guitar players the most, and hopes she gets invited to meet her favorite band.

Samantha (Sam) Morgansen

Ons &Offs

Le Immortelle

Yays *hugs Angel Fire*

Finally we have a name woohoo!

Rollard

Well then, now that that's settled, do you think we have enough to begin the RP proper?

Angel Fire

I think that we have enough to start with.  We have enough band members and we have the groupie and manager.  We can always get more groupies and other bands to join in as we go along.

Rollard

I plan to start the topic tomorrow, then. Soon, I should also have the ability to link my Rock Band 3 profile to the website and create pictures of my bands. I'm going to try to recreate our band and post a picture of them here! And if I had a video capture device, I'd show a video of them in concert!

Le Immortelle

Just wondering, what kind of scenario we'll be going for?

Like, more of a road trip-ish stuff, or actual live performing, or just plain crazed out antics of rock and roll lifestyle?

Carlissa

I'm kinda interested in this... Maybe I could play a homeless high school drop out fan who has a crush on a male member?

Would it be okay if she acted as a backup member as well if she was needed?
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Rollard

It's possible, Carlissa. I wonder how this RP attracted a lot of women? I can't think of very many female-centric rock bands other than Heart...

So anyways, I'm wondering how to begin the RP. Perhaps the band has a tour van they use to travel around town from venue to venue? Or maybe they're rich enough to have a bus and some roadies?

Angel Fire

I like the idea of a tour bus but maybe, the band has some friends that would be willing to help out as roadies to live the "Dream" of making it big.  Until the band makes it to a decent "underground" status where record companies would notice them, I think that this would be the way to go.

Le Immortelle

I agree with Angel Fire.

Like, they should start with being an underground act and maybe then hit it big in future slowly.

Carlissa

Hope this is good...

Name: Bella Klark

Appearance: Bella is a girl in her mid-teens, somewhere between the ages f 16 and 18. She has a cute face with big eyes and a small mouth that are both covered in black makeup. Her hair is long and messy, appearing in a long, emo-style haircut. Her hair is dyed blue with streaks of black moving all the way down her bangs, which reach down to her waist. Her frame is rather small, standing at 5’5.5. Her skin has a pale tone to it, but is smooth and not a single hair lays on it save for the ones on her head. She has good curves for a girl her age but not fully developed, giving her a sexy but youthful look. Her breasts are above average for her body size, having a bra size ranging somewhere in the upper C.

While Bella usually doesn’t consider fashion to be important, she is usually seen wearing gothic/emo like clothing. She wears black makeup on her lips and eyes, and sometimes puts on black nail polish. Her clothing is usually exposing, wearing tight shirts that expose her midriff and jean short shorts that barely cover her ass. She enjoys the attention that her exposing clothes give her, but have gotten her into a lot of trouble as well.

Background: Bella’s love for music originated from her love of video games. Ever since she was little, Bella played video games whenever she had spare time. She spent hours in her basement playing her N64, beating every level of every game she owned. Unlike most people, however, Bella paid close attention to details like graphics, physics, and soundtrack rather than just the gameplay. She expecially loved the music that played whenever she came across a boss or a hard enemy to defeat. She found the music to be so exiting, so motivational, that she couldn’t get enough!

Her love for video game music eventually developed into an interest for heavy and power metal. As she grew older, Bella began to listen to bands like Dragon Force, Metallica, Hammerfall, Kamelot, and other bands with high-paced music and heavy guitar. She also began to explore bands like Evanesence, Nightwish, and Within Temptation, which motivated her gothic-like appearance.

Not long after she got into music did she strive to learn how to play herself. She learned how to play the guitar, drums, and keyboard from a small music store a couple blocks from school. While the place was full of hippies (Not that it was a bad thing. Bella actually likes hippies, and would be one if it wasn’t for her love of metal), Bella learned a lot about music. She spent hours there, learning how to care for and play instruments as well as how to read and write music. Bella learned quickly, and became a very skilled musician. Thanks to her hippie teachers and love for music, Bella can now play with the best musicians. She specializes in fast guitar solos and drum solos, but has a hard time playing slowly.

Her love for music came at a cost, however. Her grades dropped dramatically and she eventually dropped out of school. Her parents were enraged, and kicked her out of the house. With no relatives to take her in, Bella didn’t have many choices of what to do with herself. She stayed with her hippie friends for a while, working at their shop for small income before she met Randy Cox. While she didn’t actually “meet” him, Bella was there when his band played their first gig. Almost instantly did Bella develop a crush on Randy, and became his biggest fan.

While homeless and penniless, Bella doesn’t fail to attend every one of Randy’s gigs, and follows them around wherever his band goes. Even though the band still fails to acknowledge her, Bella still remains one of their biggest fans, and is always in the front row whenever they play.

Bella’s dreams are to one day play with the band, and to “have Randy’s babies!” ((If you want to...))

Inspirations: Bella’s style of playing reflects that of power metal. Her favorite bands are Dragon Force, Hammerfall, Dream Evil, Nightwish, Breaking Benjamin, Blink 182, and E.S. Posthumus. Her favorite song is Eagleheart by Stratovarius.
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Le Immortelle

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Rollard

Since we haven't officially started yet, yes. I think we still need a keyboardist. And a male singer.

Angel Fire

I like your ideas, Rolland... but if we are going to start out as an underground band, than we would be playing in almost small clubs... and trust me, there is not enough room on stage to fit seven band members and instruments.  I think that we can always search for the band members when we get a little bigger (such as college arenas and such before we can expand... unless we start when we are already at that level). To me, usually five is the limit for a band.  I am always keen on adding a male vocalist (ala Laguna Coil) but if we absolutely need keyboards, Mal can double up with them if needed.  Hope that can help with my concerns.

Spell

Dibs on the male singer! Will post a profile today!

*Is a singer in real-life too!* ^.^
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Wyrd

I'll be the Keyboard player then. If I can't be that I'd like be something along the lines of session or tour musician or a opening act and/or guest musician

*Was once a singer IRL for a symphonic metal band before I got kicked *
Ragtime Dandies!

Carlissa

*Pokes thread* Could we start this soon?

yuna0417

Hey?  What's going on with this?

lovelygirl

Sadly I think I have to drop out, I have too much coming up in RL to commit to a new play. But thanks anyway!

Ons &Offs

Rollard

First, we need a reference of who's who.

Then, we need to decide where to start. While the band is in their van? Before a concert? During a concert? After a concert?

yuna0417

Ok?  I am sure you had some ideas about that. 

Where in their career are they?  Popular enough that they are out of the city they started in and working the region they lived in?  Signed to a label?  Major tour?

Next: Where are they?  On the Road?  Post Show?  Day Before or after a show?  I want to see hands here, cause if noone says anything this is going to die.

kingOFcalifornication

I feel like it would be prudent to start at the beginning of like a major tour. Probably post show. Just to have some interesting shit happen.

Le Immortelle

Well, here's my take on things -

We can have RP start with them about to embark on the tour, albeit a small one with very limited staff in a small van. They would be signed to some indie record label. Maybe on the road? Just about to reach the place and as soon as they do, they're told that due to some rescheduling they're supposed to be on stage right away? It would make for some interesting fun.

Also do we have anyone playing a groupie now that lovelygirl has left?

Rollard

Well, since it was my idea, I suppose I have to be the one to begin the RP proper. Tell me when you're ready to begin!

kingOFcalifornication

Wyrd

Name:James "Key Master" Roberts

Appearance: https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/2/25/ImagesCABZGH8S.jpg
James looks like a typical metal head most of the time, though, he is much more in love with his blonde hair then a normal guy should be.

Background:Since his youth, James had been obsessed with everything in music and sound At the age of 13, his father bought him his first instrument, an electric guitar, For over 3 years he practice his skill and trained his knowledge of the notes and how to read and write everything music. 5 hours every day was devoted to this, though he organized his time very well so he was still just barely able to keep his grade average up. His love for more types of sounds and music’s eventually lead him to sell his guitar and buy himself his first keyboard, since he already had much experience with notes and scales and a very growing and eager love and knowledge for music, he found no trouble mastering the keys.

During this age James had a large and passionate love for fantasy and reading. This lead him to grow away from the mainstream music to more epic and fantasy based and literate bands like Blind Guardian, Dragonland, Stratovarius and Rhapsody of fire.

After high school he spent much time drifting in and out of bands as a Keyboard player and syths programmer. Making money on the side as an advanced music teacher and session player. And few years ago he landed a gig as a guest keyboard player for some tracks for Randy's first album for his first band and had been friends with Randy ever since, and finally joining his new band a short while after the release of their first album.

Aside from playing in Randy's heavy metal band, James also has an Atmospheric and space themed solo project called "Star Born". He has released two demos and an EP, but has yet to finish composing and mixing a full album.

Inspirations:

James is heavily inpired by most forms of metal. Power, Proggresive and Melodic Folk metal being his top. His main bands are Blind Guardian, Dragonland, Stratovarius, Rhapsody of Fire, Wintersun, Ensiferum, Children of Bodom(OLd stuff), Equilibrium, Dream Theater, James LaBrie and Keldian.

Fave Albums are Night fall in Middle Earth (Blind Guardian)/Sages (Equilibium)/ Episode (Stratovarius)/ and Astronomy (Dragonland)

All time fav songs are "The Battle of the Ivory Plaines" by Dragonland and "Wheel of time" by Blind Guardian.

James is also very much influenced by Fantasy and Sc-fi books and Video games like Mass Effect and Eagon.
Ragtime Dandies!

Carlissa

Quote from: Amazon on November 10, 2010, 03:11:52 PM
Also do we have anyone playing a groupie now that lovelygirl has left?

Hey! You forgot my character!

I'm fine starting out post show, but I'm not sure how my character would fit in at that point...

Spell

My apologies for not having my CS up let, I had a lot of trouble with my net. *Bows in apology*
Darling,
What is going on...

Le Immortelle

Ready to start! Liz Chase can't wait to kick some ass! :D

Quote from: Carlissa on November 12, 2010, 06:03:56 PM
Hey! You forgot my character!

Whoops, sorry dear!

Spell

Name: Nathan Krupps

Height: 5'7''

Background: Nathan comes from a rather bad family. In a bad household, in which alcohol and bad parenting were only the usual things of the day, Damien tried to escape through music, converting his feeling and relating to the songs played on the radio and those he snatched illegally from the internet. Listening to really old bands like Joy Division but also the new, he finds himself always singing along to the words spoken in melodies. Singing because one of the things he loved to do, so much that he left school for it as well. Being a high-school dropout, he spent days just singing and literally still tried to sing when losing his voice, eventually as soon as he was eligible to live on his own he did, and he would sing and perform and small local clubs, his singing is all self-taught. Joined the band a bit randomly after a performance, and joined, as it could mean he could sing more.

Inspirations: Older bands such as Joy Division, more recent bands like Nirvana and Metallica, but also a lot of Modern Rock/Punk like Sum 41, MCR, P!ATD, and Fall Out Boy.
Darling,
What is going on...

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Spell

Darling,
What is going on...

Carlissa

Rollard

Due to circumstances beyond my control (last few weeks of college, and all the big assignments that are due), I am not able to devote as much time here as I would like to. I am considering giving the honors of starting the RP proper to someone else. If anyone participating feels that they can open the roleplaying session, please do so to the best of your ability.

Rollard

Good news: my finals are over. If no one else has started the RP already, I will be able to soon.

Carlissa

Sweet! I may be the only one still intereted though (Or at least knows this isnt dead). :P

kingOFcalifornication

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

yuna0417

Rollard

All right, I'll be writing the intro...but what is our lineup again? I kind of forgot...all I remember is that I'm the lead guitarist, and I don't remember anyone else...

Carlissa

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

yuna0417

Spell

Darling,
What is going on...

Rollard

Carlissa

Hi!

I was going to wait for others to post, since my character isn't part of the band.