D&D (in every incarnation), Pathfinder and other System Games

Started by LunarSage, July 05, 2011, 08:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I appreciate the thought, but this weekend I move, and I start a new job Monday. Til I'm settled into the new routine I don't want to start anything, and after that I'll need time to catch up on my current games.

But I really want to play Black Crusade though :)  Preferably play as opposed to run I mean. Sons of the father, stand in midnight clad.  >:)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Brandon

I could be convinced to do some Rogue trader. Running that is, I would just have to catch up on my 40k lore, its been a few years since I read the books

That aside Im very happy that WotC doesnt have the star wars liscence anymore. Maybe its just me but it felt like it was stagnating after they discontinued the d20 version (which I also thought was pretty enjoyable)
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

I think they (WotC) came to the decision that since it was likely there would be no more movies, why waste time on the game and they had clearly milked all they could out of the miniatures such.

Kunoichi

So, has anyone here ever heard of the Marvel Universe RPG?  I'm playing in a game that's using it over the forums, and I have to admit, even though the rules have some problems, it's still a pretty interesting system...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 06, 2011, 04:58:33 PM
So, has anyone here ever heard of the Marvel Universe RPG?  I'm playing in a game that's using it over the forums, and I have to admit, even though the rules have some problems, it's still a pretty interesting system...

Had a running campaign between me and friends that ran over like.. 10 to 12 years.

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Brandon

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 06, 2011, 04:58:33 PM

Ive heard of it but never played it. The only super hero systems I played were champions and the one made by palladium books (I forget the name off the top of my head)
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Kunoichi

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 06, 2011, 05:01:53 PM
Had a running campaign between me and friends that ran over like.. 10 to 12 years.
Quote from: LunarSage on August 06, 2011, 05:05:53 PM
The old TSR game?  -LOVE- it.  ;D

...No, I'm talking about a game that came out in 2003. ^^; It's got a completely diceless system, and the rules can be a bit vague and poorly-written in places, but the basic core mechanic is pretty fun.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 06, 2011, 11:43:39 PM
...No, I'm talking about a game that came out in 2003. ^^; It's got a completely diceless system, and the rules can be a bit vague and poorly-written in places, but the basic core mechanic is pretty fun.

Sorry never got into it.. the old FASERIP system was what I used like.. FOREVER and my buddy used my notes to continue for another decade or more.

LunarSage

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 06, 2011, 11:43:39 PM

Ah.  The stones one.  Yeah, it was not my favorite system.

Kunoichi

Really?  I'm kind of enjoying it right now, myself.  What sort of problems did you have with it?

LunarSage

The fact that succeeding in the game against an opponent required you to have more energy stones than your opponent, but the only way to have a lot of energy stones is to have a high Body or Intelligence.  The game mechanics totally screwed over characters like Cyclops who are supposed to have powerful energy attacks but lack the energy stones to even pull off one full out attack. 

Not to mention Iron Man could not be made with the point system unless he was given four to five times the amount of points that everyone else had to work with.

TheGlyphstone

There wasn't a chance to buy extra points with things like Flaw: Alcoholic or Flaw: Raging Hypocrite? :D

LunarSage

No, but there was the max point flaw "Total Asshat" and Tony did have that one.  ;D

Kunoichi

Ah.  Yeah, that I can definitely understand, Lunar.  My own view is that it's okay to play a little loose with those stats, since they're so important, but if somebody else wants to stick to the 'the normal human maximum is 3' thing on the charts, then I can certainly see how it would be a problem.  One of the game's developers did put up some extra material online to try and help correct that problem, though.

None of the sample characters were made with the default amount of points available to players, actually. ^^; Heck, Cyclops got especially screwed over there, because he was only built on 26 points when the default for PCs is 40.

And yes, Glyph.  Yes there are. :P Though they don't give back all that much...

TheGlyphstone

I imagine they were spent to cancel out his Advantage: BOX OF SCRAPS. ;D

ReijiTabibito

My Reiji-Sense is tingling!  Methinks I hear someone talking about the MURPG system!  :P

Kunoichi

::) Ladies and gentlemen, my partner/GM in the game I mentioned.

Callie Del Noire

Just got finished looking through the Goblins of Goloran book. Now I want to play one of the little crazy arsonists :D

MasterMischief

I did not know there was a new Marvel Super Heroes.  I was familiar with the old one, but I had always preferred DC Heroes.  I love me some point buy.

LunarSage

MasterMischief:  There is a point buy system for Marvel Super Heroes (the old one) and it actually works very well.  I'm using it for the (semi-freeform) cosmic Marvel game that I run here on E. 

As a side note, there's going to be an even newer Marvel game soon.  It's in development using the Cortex+ system via Margaret Weis Productions.

OldSchoolGamer

I would like to see D&D return to its roots.

Paper and pencil gaming is different from video gaming, and I think trying to meld the two was a mistake from jump.  Too much focus on tactics, not enough on storytelling.  Video gaming is about kicking ass and killing things.  And in a virtual environment, there's nothing wrong with that.  But that's not what original Dungeons and Dragons was ALL about.

The later versions of D&D also ended up having a "Mos Eisley Cantina" approach to characters, as you had all manner of bizarre munchkinized angels and demons and space aliens and God knows what else as PCs.  And that's fine if the goal is to kick ass and kill/break things.  Not so good if you're trying to craft a story that makes sense.

I'd like to see a D&D 5 that returns to D&D's anthropocentric roots...with more emphasis on different ethnic groups and cultures within the human race.  A return to the proficiency system that lets you customize characters in ways beyond combat styling.  A dialing-down of the emphasis on tactical combat.  A dialing-down of character power in general.

LunarSage

You do recall that the original version of D&D was just a localized form of wargaming, right?  Chainmail I believe it was called. 

That said, even 1st and 2nd ed D&D was all about killing monsters and taking their stuff.  That's just an aspect of the game that's been in existence since the 70s.

TheGlyphstone

How far down those roots, though? Basic was where Dwarf and Elf were classes, because only humans could be anything except a simplistic caricature of fantasy stereotypes, and there were 0 rules unrelated to killing things and breaking stuff because you were expected to invent all of that on your own.

Not to say simplicity doesn't have its virtue, but (ironically for your username) there's a bit of rose-colored glasses syndrome here; people talk about how modern D&D has devolved into combat-centric, where it originally started as a derivative of mass-combat wargames focused on a small group of soldiers who...killed things and broke stuff.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Lunar.

MasterMischief

Seen this over and over again as a criticism of 4e.  For me, it is incredibly ironic as every single D&D game I have every played in, from Basic to 4e, has been about killing things and taking their stuff.  I think the reason this particular banner gets hoisted is that it appears to add authority to the simple fact that 4e does not fit someone's preferences.

I have no idea why gamers specifically and geeks in general can not simply say, "Meh, not my thing" and leave it at that.  I know I am guilty of this.