Interest check: D&D 4th

Started by Sethala, February 12, 2011, 04:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethala

Is there any interest in starting up a 4th ed D&D campaign at all?  Not sure what kind of setting, scenario, etc. it would use, just want to know if anyone's interested in using the system or if anyone has any past experience or recommendations.

Revelation

Depending on who's running (And what of course) I would be rather interested in a 4e game.

theblushingbride

I'd be very interested in this!

Black Howling

I wouldn't mind participating in a 4E game. I'm very familiar with the system, Ran it three times a week for nearly 9 months with my home group before the players revolted on me in favor of pathfinder. Are you looking for a DM, or players?

Sethala

I'd prefer if someone else DMed (I'm still kind of inexperienced with making actual adventures), but if there's enough players and no one wants to, I'll run it.

Do you have any experience with PbP games?  Particularly with 4e, since maps are a much larger part of the game than most other systems.

Black Howling

I've never participated in play by post system games, as such I've been reluctant to GM one until I've had some experience playing them. Unfortunately each system game I've been interested in has been more interested in getting a GM.

I know a few open game sites that the could help with the maps issues, I'd have to look them up again of course. I also know another player that might be interested in this, she's fond of 4E but has never gotten to play. Alas, I like 4E mainly because it's a little more low maintenance of a system, so I might be a little slow paced if that would be okay?

I'll give GMing a try considering my experience with making up adventures, if you'd like. Though my unfamiliarity with PbP might get in the way. ;(

Sethala

Quote from: Black Howling on February 13, 2011, 03:25:59 PM
Alas, I like 4E mainly because it's a little more low maintenance of a system, so I might be a little slow paced if that would be okay?

I might just be somewhat tired and dense, but could you elaborate on that sentence for me a bit?

And, I'd be willing to give you a hand with the PbP aspect of things; I've had a little experience with PbP games but I'm not really looking to DM something right now.

Black Howling

I don't see it as being tired or dense, the sentence was a little vague. What I meant is that when compared to the character upkeep and rules upkeep of 3.5 or pathfinder, 4E is a lot less demanding. I remember this from when I was using it with my group, it's far easier to run and play then the other DnD systems. That being said, while I am like many who dislike some depth that was taken out of the system, I find that it's made up for by the fact that it's typically less time consuming. :)

I find Gming easier at times, so I'd be willing to give it a go if you could help me with the PbP differences, and saying the group is willing to bear with me on it.

Sethala

Ah, I gotcha.  Yeah, quick games of 3/3.5 were always hard for me too, way too many character options.

Anyway, do you want to start coming up with ideas for the game?

Black Howling

Yeah, I'll be out for a bit so it won't be until a little later, but I can have something up fairly quickly. I'll set down the needed info later tonight if possible. I'll also want at-least 4 players due to 4E's group necessities.

Black Howling

I'm back from my exit, and working on the game now. I'll make an OOC thread for it here in a little while, once I have enough down on paper that I'm ready to take character sheets.

It'll be a beginning level game, and I'll likely have the group using the standard array unless we find ourselves slightly short on ready players. The core rules 1 and 2 will be open for use, as well as the adventurers vault book 1 and 2. I have ready access to all of these, and can reference them easily. Anything else is a no go.

I'd like all who are interested to raise there hands here if they would, this will let me know on how many more I'll need to try and recruit for the game.

Sethala

Sounds good.  I'm interested, of course.  I don't know yet what kind of character I'll make, however, though I'm leaning towards either a drow rogue or some form of fighter.

Also, were you planning on making it adult-themed?

Black Howling

I tend to run plot heavy games that indeed have an adult theme to them. I don't like a PG-13 feel to D&D, as that makes it to where I have to tone down my more sinister side. This will of course depend slightly on the players. After all, we can have an adult themed game without the inclusion of sexual themes. ;)

I've just brushed up on the 4E rules, and now I'm turning toward the campaign guides I have. They are Eberron and forgotten realms, the latter of which I'm more familiar with. I think I'll set it there, if their are no objections to FR?

Lady Lunarius

~gets brought over by Howling~ I'm in ^_^
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

Sethala

Quote from: Black Howling on February 13, 2011, 08:37:30 PMAfter all, we can have an adult themed game without the inclusion of sexual themes. ;)

What's the fun in that?  :P  On a serious note, I was planning on having some sexual content in here, though whether it was just the possibility of sex for the characters, an entire adventure based on sex, or somewhere in between, it depends on the rest of the group.

As for the setting, I'm fine with anything.  Forgotten Realms might be a good choice if I were to go with the drow.

Black Howling

The Drow are totally playable in either settings. I like to leave options open, but I'm very certain after putting in some work that I'll be placing the game there. I would also prefer sexual themes, but there's no game without the players, so I'll flex to a certain extant on content like that. ;)

Glad to see Luna picked up on my invite, now we just need two more characters for sure in. I'll have basic outlining story detail here soon. After that, the character sheets can start flowing.

Lady Lunarius

Hmm as long as I get to use magic I'll be happy <3
LaLu's Delicious treats!

Black Howling

Quote from: Lady Lunarius on February 13, 2011, 09:50:53 PM
Hmm as long as I get to use magic I'll be happy <3

With the number of arcane and divine classes between the phb 1and 2, and the FR players guide you'll be sure to find what you're looking for there.

Black Howling

The story will take place in Luruar, more commonly known as the silver-marches. Our tale will begin in the small fishing village of riverlund, which graces the Rauvin River. It provides fish for the mercantile hub of everlund that strays just up north, and it's fields provide some of the vegetables found there as well.

The village is a mixed settlement like most of the region, and it's people are a hardy folk that rely on the protection of the merchant city just north. Despite that protection, a seemingly invisible threat has crossed the village in recent days, putting a sense of dread into the fair folk that reside here. Young men and woman disappear upon every full moon, and corpses from the town are found strung along the river from time to time.

The mayor of the village has sent word to Everlund several times to ask for aid with the danger, but each time the merchant hub has refused, believing the threat a simple story without proof. Even some of the villagers are skeptical, with the threat unknown to them, seemingly just stalking from the shadows. In wake of this mystery the mayor has listed a call for adventurers that may aid in the troubles. Yet who would come to the small communities aid?

That's the quick and dirty version of the plot, or the common knowledge of it anyhow. For those unfamiliar with the forgotten realms, I'd be happy to explain as best I can over IM and PMs. I've pulled from my old games, and pieced together the first adventure, and set the entire line for a large spanning campaign. I've still got some work to do with the dungeons, I'll be using dungeon crafter software to create them, and list the maps as we proceed.

For now I'm ready to talk shop and make character sheets. I'll need to discuss with the players some 'table' etiquette, in this case it'll mainly be hashing out what rating the game will be. I'm open for anything, but I wanna know what everyones comfortable with, and how heavy they want the sexual themes to be.

Use standard array stats, and use the baseline gold and options for making new characters from the players hand books 1 and 2. I want people to convey on their jobs, we need the defender, leader etc etc. Also the regional benefits from the Forgotten's realms players guide will be needed, and all the material from there is open as well. Below I'll list the books available for use in the game.

Adventurers vault volume 1 and 2
The players handbook volume 1 and 2
The forgotten Realm's players guide.

Use classes and races taken from those only, and piece together a good biography for me. I like to know background, and the like as well as speak with the players in depth about party hookup and the such before the game starts. So far I have most everything needed, only the maps left to create. Plot hooks is the best character sheet profiler I know of, so I'd prefer to use it for the character sheets unless people have a better method.

Lady Lunarius

I'm thinking either the Wizard or Sorcerer I'll have to look into it when I get home tonight though.
LaLu's Delicious treats!

Black Howling

I'll go ahead and keep my fingers crossed for the wizard choice, that makes the second hardest role to fill already managed. :P Striker roles go quick!

ZameRagues

I'm interested in the dnd campaign. I've played 4e enough to be comfortable, I usually play as a dual wielding ranger. My character usually has some quark to him, like last time I played only one member of the party could understand anything my guy said. I was also the heavy hitter of the group.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Ershin

May I express my interest in this campaign? I was considering playing a Defender or Leader class should I be allowed to participate, though I have to admit that I'll have to do a bit of research on the Luruar area before posting a background (I also have to admit I'm a bit unfamiliar with the 4e time frame of the Forgotten Realms setting, but it's nothing a look at some books won't cure). Would you prefer if players make characters native to the village or are adventurers from any town/nation allowed to answer the call?

Revelation

I think i'd still be interested, though class/role depends on what others are already making. I don't suppose theres anyway to include more books or rules? ;) I suppose the pain of having a DDI account is having access to pretty much everything thats been printed... Though I would be willing to give you information on what I was using/doing from other sources. (Given how 4e is set up, its not too hard to give information on powers/feats, and i'd be willing to just stick with a class from the PHB1/2/FRPG and possibly only take additional feats/powers/paragon paths from other sources), if not, I would still be interested, of course.

Sethala

Looks like we've got a full group, then.  If ZameRagues is taking the striker role, I think I'll stick with the fighter.  Though, any chance you'd allow the rules for hybrid chars from PHB3, if we stick only to the allowed classes?