BattleTech 3050 ((Looking for new recruits!))

Started by Wargtass, November 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithium

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 19, 2012, 11:29:19 AM
So the awesome Sling is kosher then? :3

What Warg meant was that he would have liked to say yes, but had to say no because it would be unfair to everyone else who'd been denied their choice of Mech due to similar availability issues in the context of this particular game.

So the TLDR version is no.

Wargtass

Quote from: Lithium on November 19, 2012, 11:49:06 AM
What Warg meant was that he would have liked to say yes, but had to say no because it would be unfair to everyone else who'd been denied their choice of Mech due to similar availability issues in the context of this particular game.

So the TLDR version is no.

Please don't put words in my mouth. The only Mechs I have denied so far have been so because they are not available in the time period. The Sling, while very rare, can be found in the Inner Sphere at this time period. In this case I would allow her to take a Sling. If you think that is unfair, speak your mind and tell me why and I'm sure we can come to a reasonable conclusion.
O/O

Sel Nar

Quote from: Wargtass on November 19, 2012, 10:37:26 AM
The AWS-9Q wasn't introduced until 3057, so not until another 8 years.

Which makes me roll my eyes to no end; you'd think that common sense of 'Hey, let's upgrade the heat sinks, and slap on another PPC' would be easier to do than 'Hey, let's upgrade the heat sinks, turn the engine into an XL, convert the internal structure to Endo-Steel, and give it 3 ER PPCs'

Personally's I'd rather the increased damage output of 4 PPCs than the range boost of 3 ER PPCs, especially as the XL engine all but murders the Awesome's infamous 'Zombie' status, which is one reason why it was constantly being made since its 2665 inception.

TheGlyphstone

Now I'm wishing we were late enough in the timeline for me to have an Omega.

Wargtass

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 19, 2012, 11:56:31 AM
Which makes me roll my eyes to no end; you'd think that common sense of 'Hey, let's upgrade the heat sinks, and slap on another PPC' would be easier to do than 'Hey, let's upgrade the heat sinks, turn the engine into an XL, convert the internal structure to Endo-Steel, and give it 3 ER PPCs'

Personally's I'd rather the increased damage output of 4 PPCs than the range boost of 3 ER PPCs, especially as the XL engine all but murders the Awesome's infamous 'Zombie' status, which is one reason why it was constantly being made since its 2665 inception.

Well you could always say that you have customized an earlier model for those features. Just don't call it an 9Q, call it an 8Q Custom or something. Easy piecey.
O/O

Sel Nar

Fair enough; editing my original post. :)

Lithium

Quote from: Wargtass on November 19, 2012, 11:54:30 AM
Please don't put words in my mouth. The only Mechs I have denied so far have been so because they are not available in the time period. The Sling, while very rare, can be found in the Inner Sphere at this time period. In this case I would allow her to take a Sling. If you think that is unfair, speak your mind and tell me why and I'm sure we can come to a reasonable conclusion.

Personally, I don't think it's 'unfair', and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I was just rephrasing what you wrote in what I felt was a clearer way. I mean, as far as I can tell, the literal meaning of your words pretty much amounts to what I said, but obviously that's not quite what you meant, which is fine. I wouldn't call it putting words into your mouth, though. Only reason I replied at all was because you were offline and I didn't want someone to spend time on an idea that I thought wouldn't be approved based on what you said...or thought you said, or whatever.

Or maybe my reading comprehension is just terrible (entirely possible) and I'm completely wrong about everything. If that's the case then I'm sorry.

(And this is totally irrelevant, but I think that there was a Mech or two which were denied because they were Clan Mechs rather than because of the time period. :P )

Sel Nar

Admittedly, by the end of 3049, only around 50 worlds had been attacked by the clans in the first place; the invasion only gained major notice from 3050 to 3052, when the battle of Tukkayid occured.

Wargtass

Quote from: Lithium on November 19, 2012, 12:21:39 PM
Personally, I don't think it's 'unfair', and it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I was just rephrasing what you wrote in what I felt was a clearer way. I mean, as far as I can tell, the literal meaning of your words pretty much amounts to what I said, but obviously that's not quite what you meant, which is fine. I wouldn't call it putting words into your mouth, though. Only reason I replied at all was because you were offline and I didn't want someone to spend time on an idea that I thought wouldn't be approved based on what you said...or thought you said, or whatever.

Or maybe my reading comprehension is just terrible (entirely possible) and I'm completely wrong about everything. If that's the case then I'm sorry.

(And this is totally irrelevant, but I think that there was a Mech or two which were denied because they were Clan Mechs rather than because of the time period. :P )

Thought I said. So the proper way to write it would have been "I think what Warg meant". That is were the misunderstanding happened. Or rather my original wording which caused you to misunderstand. As for the Clan Mechs, yes, I did deny them because we are not playing Clans. My reasoning in the Sling case is that the Sling is extremely rare in both the Inner Sphere and Clans, yet present in both. We have an ancient King Crab, a rather rare Highlander, so I thought why not a Sling?

I'll put you up on the list Sel Nar, looks like we'll have a full company by the end of this after all.
O/O

Wargtass

Something about the first post has been totally fucked up, so for now it's broken. Have patience, construction underway.

EDIT: I hope some of you forum-code savvy people can answer me why I can seem to get the whole of Sel Nar's character in the list without the post breaking apart. Is there a word-count or anything than I am not aware of?
O/O

Sel Nar

Actually, there is a character count; one post cannot have more than 65556 characters (letters and spaces).

Wargtass

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 19, 2012, 01:10:31 PM
Actually, there is a character count; one post cannot have more than 65556 characters (letters and spaces).

I had no clue about that. Well in that case I'll just have to keep track of where your character is until we get a proper character thread up.

Btw, did we agree on which forum category to play this out?
O/O

TheGlyphstone

I'm fine with [BON], since at least one person didn't want [NC] or [EX].

Sel Nar

I'm fine with [BON] as well; There's no real reason for [NC] or [EX] unless we're playing as hurrible evul pirates, and those don't have much life expectancy in BT.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 19, 2012, 01:23:38 PM
I'm fine with [BON] as well; There's no real reason for [NC] or [EX] unless we're playing as hurrible evul pirates, and those don't have much life expectancy in BT.

Or if we expected to be captured by hurrible evul pirates, but our primary opponents are probably going to be Clanners, who as mentioned wouldn't have intimate relations with their captives.

Sel Nar

Honestly, clanners make me laugh. They're all so high and mighty about their eugenics program and 300+ years of 'ritual warfare' to reduce waste and all. It wasn't much of a surprise that once the IS hit tech parity with the clans, the evidence of 300 years of warfare-related darwinism and an actual industrial base plastered the clans all over the landscape in a gooshy smear, excepting the ones smart enough to say 'screw this, I'm out of here' (Ghost Bears FTW)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 19, 2012, 01:27:45 PM
Honestly, clanners make me laugh. They're all so high and mighty about their eugenics program and 300+ years of 'ritual warfare' to reduce waste and all. It wasn't much of a surprise that once the IS hit tech parity with the clans, the evidence of 300 years of warfare-related darwinism and an actual industrial base plastered the clans all over the landscape in a gooshy smear, excepting the ones smart enough to say 'screw this, I'm out of here' (Ghost Bears FTW)

Yeah, that's pretty much the canon explanation for why they lost, Social Darwinism in ritual combat matched up against actual Darwinism and real combat experience.

Wargtass

It's been a long day and I think I'll head to bed. When I get up tomorrow I'll process the applicants and start up Character, Briefing and OOC threads, by evening we might even be able to start playing.

Until then, have a good night!
O/O

Branwen

All work and no play makes Wargtass something something.

Thanks for the work!

Blobbe

Quote from: Branwen on November 19, 2012, 09:57:53 AM
He need an Awesome just to carry him!  :)

Kayla, I sent you some picture ideas to try and help with your dilemma.

Thanks for that. I'm leaving for ideas!

Lithium

Finished

Pilot

Name: Lily Anne Montplaisir
Sex: Female
BattleMech: Axman AXM-2N
Homeworld: New Avalon
Original Faction: Federated Suns

Description: She's 5'6" tall, weighs around 120 lbs and has a thin and lithe build. Her eyes are grey-blue and her natural hair color is a light strawberry blond, but she dies it cotton candy pink, so it's (understandably) what most people remember her by. Her complexion is very pale, and - probably due in no small part to her privileged lifestyle - mostly unblemished.

Background: Fortunate enough to be born into a rather wealthy, and - perhaps even more importantly - well connected family, Lily never wanted for anything while growing up, nor did she have to go through any considerable hardships. She became fascinated with BattleMechs from a young age after being exposed to the arena duels on Solaris VII while visiting relatives. The cheers, the atmosphere and the spectacle of it all left her in awe and haunted Lily's dreams ever since, so she knew that it was what she was destined for.

Surprisingly, her parents were actually extremely supportive, encouraging their daughter to chase her ambitions even though it most likely wasn't the path that they would have chosen for her themselves. In fact, they even went as far as to pull a few strings in order to get Lily accepted into the New Avalon Institute of Science when her grades ended up being just below the cutoff. It was at the Institute's College of Military Science that she learned how to pilot a Mech, in addition to a whole bunch of other stuff that she hated but had no choice but to endure.

After graduating, she made her way to Solaris VII and proptly did her best to forget all of that useless military crap that had been crammed into her head. Over the next few years, Lily gradually made her way up through the gladiator ranks, achieving a moderate level of fame and even picking up a couple of sponsors along the way to help with the upkeep costs of her machine. At some point, however, even though she was still doing pretty well and continuously improving, the arena seemingly lost some of its charm and appeal.

Lily found herself longing for something else, something even more exciting with even bigger stakes. Real world combat. The military was out of the question, since she abhorred the excessive strictness, so a mercenary company was the obvious choice. Finding that sort of work proved easy enough, and with the respectable reputation that she'd earned from her duels, Lily could even afford to be somewhat picky. She ended up coming to an agreement with an already well established and fairly accomplished merc company, and so began the pursuit for new thrills and adventures.

Personality: More often than not, Lily ends up being the life of any party, which is fine by her since she feeds on attention like a fat kid on cake. She's outgoing, adventurous and loves to have a good time and to make everyone else have a good time too. She's always joking around and being sarcastic, so anyone who lacks a sense of humor probably isn't going to enjoy her company all that much, but she gets along well with most people. Lily takes things pretty easily for the most part, though she can be prone to fits of passion at times, depending on the situation. Reciprocity is one of the most important things to her; she'll gladly bend over backwards for those whom she considers to be her friends, but expects any relationship to work both ways, and takes it very personally when she feels betrayed or let down.

Speciality Skills: Thanks to her military training, Lily knows her way around most commonly used firearms, but her marksmanship is no better than average. She's much more impressive at close combat, having gotten additional training in the hopes that it would help with piloting her Mech in melee situations. She's not really sure how much of a difference it truly makes, but she likes to think that it gives her slightly better instincts. Lily's main hobby is dancing, which she's been doing for just over 20 years, so she's pretty good at it by now. Apart from that, she also loves gambling and games in general and is a bit of a shark when it comes to that.

BattleMech Characteristics

Chassis: Dorwinion
Weight Class: Heavy, 65 tons
Callsign: Kismet
Description: Unlike her former Mech, a Hatchetman which was painted dark charcoal and covered in hot pink leopard print decals, Lily has opted to keep her new machine a neutral, sandy tan color. In her opinion, it makes it look more fearsome on the battlefield, like an anonymous ghost wreaking havoc. Since the Axman is still pretty much brand new, the armor doesn't show many war scars, just a few minor dings and scratches. The only detail that distinguishes it is the symbol on the right leg, a a black spider inside of a pink circle - the spinner of fate.

Loadout:
2x LRM-15
3x Medium Lasers
1x Large Pulse Laser
1x Hatchet

Modules:
Jump Jets

Upgrades:
Ferro-Fibrous armor with CASE
Full-Head Ejection System

General Armor Values: Medium-Heavy, 11 tons

Blobbe

Very nice! And also, yay for Pink 'Mechs

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Lithium

Branwen

Not quite the same as Lithium's, but as pink as I could find.  :)