Interest Check: Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Tal Dorei Adventure

Started by JessLowell12, October 08, 2018, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessLowell12

Crash

Quote from: JessLowell12 on October 11, 2018, 04:58:28 PM
Believe it or not, I have never played a rogue

I used to play Rogues and Rangers a lot.  Not so much anymore.  Mostly because usually rogues are taken right away.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Vergil1989

Due to my vast inexperience to most everyone here, I've never played most of the classes.  I've seen enough to know what to expect from them, but doing so myself though?  Not so much.  Looking forward to giving it a shot though for a change.  :D
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Chulanowa

Quote from: Crash on October 11, 2018, 12:34:06 PM
Name: Bubbles Greenbottle
Race: Teifling (Fierna)
Orientation/Sexuality: Pansexual

so, I was just browsing around and I found this...

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Brittlby

... definitely goin rogue for my second oc once we’re running.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Chulanowa

Angie

Well, I personally only need one, or at least, that's all I wanna run.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Vergil1989

Just so everyone's aware moving forward, I talked to the GM, and I'm thinking of having Emily eventually multi-class into being a Hexblade Warlock with a pact with the Raven Queen's Champion.  For those that don't know who that is, I won't say here for fear of spoiling it, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.  ;D  Still, just wanted to let you all know even though it won't be for a while most likely, once certain things happen for her and she starts truly looking for answers, maybe nearly losing her faith, something along those lines at least.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

Crash

I actually hate multiclassing so I will just remain a Cleric.

JessLowell12

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 12, 2018, 12:10:19 AM
OHRIGHT, i forget we get two characters!

A lot of people like to just run 1. Which is normal. But in this caseI'm allowing two because I think it would be very dynamic.

I myself have played a multitude of spellcasters. Cleric, druid, wizard. Oh and a ranger at some point.

Vergil1989

I see you've put up a character of your own Jess.  While I'm not against it by any means, I have heard a couple stories where DMs have done so in other games just so they can get the best loot and supplies for themselves, among other things.  While I'm sure that's not going to be happening here, I'm sure you can understand my caution all the same.  :D

That aside, I've VERY briefly played a cleric who had a prestige class from an unofficial source book called The Book of Erotic Fantasy.  I don't think I've told this story here, but my Sacred Prostitute gal is one of my oldest characters I've ever written for.

JessLowell12

Not to worry, thats only an NPC. I put it there for my own reference for when the group meets her. I also find having NPCin a central location is helpful for players, makes it easier to remember and not have to take a whole boat load of notes.

If it helps I can create another thread for NPC characters.

Brittlby

Do what works for you! The easier it is for the DM, the less likely they are to stage a TPK!
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Vergil1989

Lol this is very true, and Jess?  As Brit said, whatever makes things easier for you since you're doing the real hard part of keeping us troublemakers in line and a compelling story going.  Having said that, just label them as NPCs somewhere and we'll be fine I figure.  :D

JessLowell12

Quote from: Vergil1989 on October 12, 2018, 11:20:58 AM
Lol this is very true, and Jess?  As Brit said, whatever makes things easier for you since you're doing the real hard part of keeping us troublemakers in line and a compelling story going.  Having said that, just label them as NPCs somewhere and we'll be fine I figure.  :D

Red will be NPCs and Purple are PCs

Vergil1989

Cool beans.  :D  Thanks Jess and again sorry for being a bit paranoid earlier.   :-[

Chulanowa

Personal Information

Name: Gaz the Lionslayer
Race: Goblin
Orientation/Sexuality: ...Is not really a thing Gaz thinks about all that much. Goblin sex is basically just a means of producing smaller goblins. Tall Stupids seem to worry about it an awful lot though, so maybe it's something important?
General Description: The first thing most people notice about Gaz is that, of course, she's a goblin. She stands an even three feet tall, with green skin, red cat-slitted eyes, bucked teeth, and over sized pointed ears that looks like they've been bitten more than once. But even for a goblin, she seems scrawny; her body has the slenderness of early undernourishment, paired with the rangy toughness of hard living. What can be seen of her body - and since she mostly just wears the simplest clothing, that's a fair bit - is lined with wiry muscle. Cresting her head is a thick mop of hair the color of a ripe olive, stuck through with a few pigeon feathers. Draped around her shoulder and hips are strips of white-and-grey tabby-striped cat fur, paired with the animal's tail worn as a trophy on her own backside. The animal left its mark in some claw scars on her cheek. Despite what most would assume, she's very clean, her green hide smooth and washed as often as she can manage. Worn at her back is a heavy warhammer of obvious dwarven make, and a few feathered javelins that seem homemade.

Role Play Centered Information

Class: Barbarian
Level: 3
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Character Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1723395
Additional Information: • Stabface Squidface is still alive, and might be annoyed that his favorite "gladiator" has run off with the Tall Stupids that stomped his tribe. For that matter Big Chief Muckstump is probably still out there somewhere too, feeling all smart.
• Gaz has been discovering there may be depth to her constant anger; she's chosen by spirits to be a conduit for their anger. The one that speaks loudest to her wants her to jump, to claw and bite, and dart away; a sage warrior taught her that this is the "way of the Tiger" like a big version of the "lion" she killed, but part of her thinks it might actually be a Frogshark.
• She was rescued from a trap by a party of adventurers; maybe you know them! The wound from the trap still bothers her, though she'd never say so
• Her most precious possession - aside from the pelt of the "lion' she killed - is her hammer; she doesn't like to talk about where it came from. Sometimes she talks to the hammer, though.
• At times she will pretend to not know common. She's full of lies.

History
Family: The Muckstump tribe of goblins still exists somewhere in the K'tawl swamp. Unless they all got eaten by frogsharks or whatever.
Hometown: Stilben... sort of? She's not from there, but she's been there, and found the place somewhat to her liking.
A little about personality: Gaz is full of angry. And she believes that "giving her angry away" makes her feel better. She's not a hostile little monster; she's lived long enough (somehow) to know how to temper her expressions of angry. But she is prone to casual vandalism, pushing people's easy buttons, and getting into shouting matches with dogs and sheep (but not goats, because goats are awesome.) Gaz is chattery, fidgety, and squirms a lot. She has a difficult time trusting others after being "betrayed" by her tribe. Nevertheless, she understands that working with these tall mutant monsters is more beneficial to her than running around in the swamp ever was. Some of them could even be these "fur-en-duhs" things she's heard about. She's bad with names and tends to appellate people with "-face" if she can't remember their name exactly. Underneath the angry, jittery, green jerky muscle exterior though, there's something else, something Gaz is only just starting to understand and explore - the origins of her anger...
General Life Story: Gaz originally hails from the Muckstump tribe of goblins somewhere in the K'Tawl swamp. She wasn't well-liked by her fellows, because she was always angry, and worse, she was good at being angry. A runt of the litter, she had to be angry (and a lot to be angry about) in order to get even a little food. Kicking, biting, scratching, and punching were good ways to communicate among the Muckstump, and soon, Big Chief Muckstump noticed, and promised her extra portions if she would be his bodyguard. All she had to do was hold this big hammer, look important, and stand outside his hut. What a good job!

She never asked why she never saw Big Chief Muckstump again. She was too busy with the Squidface attack on the Muckstumps! Bigger, stronger goblins from a place in the swamp with actual food and good water and loot to pillage. Gaz and the rest of her tribe fought back, but the Squidfaces were too many, too strong, and they ended up killing half the tribe, and enslaving most of the rest, including Gaz.

For a good year and a half, she was used by the tribe of Stabface Squidface for labor and for entertainment; the angry, scrappy little goblin often found herself knee-deep in the eelpits, facing off against Unusually Large Toads, Killer Eat-Me-Fish, and of course Bad Eats-Goblins-Toomanyfuckinglegs. At least, when it wasn't goblins Big Chief Stabface didn't like getting tossed in there. She didn't like to fight them like this, just so some fat Stupidface could laugh, but if she didn't, Witchmaker Gurglepus had all sorts of awful spells he could use on her to make her sorry for it.

Salvation, as it was, came at the hands of Tall Stupids. The Squidface tribe had bothered the Tall stupids a little too much, and they came for payback, with long swords and strong spells; the Squidfaces put up a good fight, at least until the pig pens got busted and some of the wood fell into the slave pits. The Tall Stupids just kept swinging, and Gaz had to run.

She made it for a good two days until she found the trap in the woods. An old snare that some hunter had forgotten cinched around her leg, and yanked her into the air. For a good while she fought against it, until her weakened state from the slavery, and the running, and the blood loss (except for what was rushing into her head now) made her pass out.

She woke up in strange company; the same Tall Stupids who had attacked the Squidfaces! They'd taken the precaution of tying her hands, but her leg was in no condition for running, so she had to tolerate them. Apparently on their return trip they had found her and took pity on the poor goblin (sniffle) - Brent Bearface (that was his name, Gaz is sure of it) asserted that it was too stupid a way to die for him to allow it. Thanks Brent.

These Tall Stupids were willing to share thier food and help her with her leg, so she decided that they might be okay (also stupid, and too tall, but hey, food.) So Gaz decided to travel with them for a time...

("Brent Bearface" or someone else in the "rescue party" can easily be a PC, giving Gaz a quick tie-in to the group through that way.)

Crash

Vergil1989

On the off chance Emily dies or becomes unavailable for a while, this is my backup character.  Hopefully she meets with approval, although I DO need to add in something for the teacher she was encouraged by at the Alabaster Lyceum.  I don't know what race or even his name is currently, so ideas are welcome at the moment.   :-[

Personal Information

Name:  Gamora of the Herd of Storms
Race:  Goliath
Orientation/Sexuality:  Bisexual  (Virgin)
General Description:  Like any goliath, Gamora is tall and broad shouldered, packed with muscles to spare from the neck down.  While she's not Grog Strongjaw strong, not by a longshot, she's still strong enough to be a worthy challenge to anyone who'd dare to fight her hand to hand.  What she lacks for strength however, she more than makes up for in other areas with a deep intelligence behind her pale, gold flecked brown eyes.  Dark black hair runs down her back in a single long, twisting braid, with the typical goliath tribal markings adorning most of her gray flesh.  Preferring to wear simple clothes and the like, things that will last the long roads that yet await her before her journey is through, she can often be found in simple leather jerkins and long leather pants, but she also likes the bright colors that people from the desert plain of Marquet seem to favor, having been their briefly to help Kaylie with some trouble she was having with the criminal underworld during her last visit.  As such, she keeps a long, purple sash that she keeps tied around her waist, with a matching length of cloth that tends to dangle from her belt almost like a cape, with a deep red silk jacket adorning her broad shoulders, embroidered in gold dragon like thread along its back and sleeves.

Role Play Centered Information

Class: Bard from the College of Lore
Level: 3rd Level (currently)
Alignment:  Chaotic Good
Character Sheet:  Gamora of the Herd of Storms
Additional Information:  One of her closest friends from her days at the Lyceum college is Kaylie Shorthalt, the daughter to Scanlan Shorthalt himself, one of the most powerful bards to ever walk the surface of Exandria, and one of the members of Vox Machina to boot, the same group responsible for bringing down Vecna.  As such, if Kaylie ever calls, Gamora would answer without a second thought.  Despite many in your typical goliath herd not knowing who their parents are, things have changed since Kevdak was brought down by Grog.  While she too doesn't know who her parents are exactly, Gamora still has 'family' in the herd, people that she'd aid if they should ever need it.  Unfortunately, many think her too civilized, too 'cultured' to be considered a true goliath anymore, but many of those people supported Kevdak during his ruinous alliance with the Chroma Conclave, so their voices are often ignored as a whole.  That's not to say they aren't still heard though....

History
Family:  Nalpu Wisebearer - While she's still uncertain if she was Gamora's mother, Nalpu nurtured the young goliath's love for lore and the nature of the world outside of the Herd of Storms to the best of her ability.  Unfortunately, Umbrysal devoured her with several others of the Herd of Storms in 'tribute' for an alliance with the dreaded black dragon that Kevdak had sworn to serve.  She's thought about trying to find her spirit and asking the wise old woman if she was her real mother though....
Shaun Gilmore - It's strange the people you meet when you get lost in a big city, which used to happen quite a bit to Gamora upon her initial arrival to the place at sixteen.  Whether by fate or chance, Gamora found herself in the merchant mage's company, and it was through his aid and his friendship that she was able to attend the Alabaster Lyceum.  It helped he often said she reminded him of another goliath he had the great fortune of calling a good friend.
Kaylie Shorthalt - They were both considered 'outcasts' from those in the Alabaster Lyceum, since they both had come from 'nothing' as far as the rich snobs from prestigious families were concerned that populated its halls.  Even so, Gamora was all too happy to have a friend in the halfling woman who had such an inspiration in her father, Scanlan, a literal god slayer.  Needless to say, Gamora and Kaylie became fast friends, she providing far more than muscle to Kaylie, who needed very little in the way of protection given her own prodigious skills with the same magic she sought to understand.  While they have since gone their separate ways, both have promised to keep in touch, no matter where they end up.
Samuel Kwill - Samuel was a teacher in the Alabaster Lyceum, who encouraged Gamora and tutored her when she had had a little trouble with keeping up with the rest of her classmates due to her far humbler beginnings.  Despite her handicap that she soon surpassed, he saw great potential in her, and even initiated her into Ioun's following, showing her the Knowing Mistress's way which she took to with aplomb.  He however disappeared, leaving a mostly illegible letter and a question for Gamora to unravel....
Hometown:  She considers the city of Westruun her home despite what her people did there during the Conclave's reign of terror.
A little about personality:  She was always different from most of her fellow Herd members in that she was never content to simply fuck and fight and roam around the world.  Like Grog Strongjaw not long after she was born, she didn't have it in her to stomp on the weak and defenseless, but she didn't have his courage to stand up to Kevdak, the Thunderlord either.  That all changed however when the woman that had taken the most interest in her, which Gamora called her mother even though it was hard to say if that was the truth, was killed by Umbrasyl in 'tribute' for the herd's subservience, something Kevdak happily boasted about allying them successfully with one of the Chroma Conclave with so few of their number lost in the process.  As such, she has an understandably deep hatred for dragons as a whole, while she is....uncomfortable around dragonborn due to their draconic appearances.  She is however driven to understand the world and its various peoples, to the point she has been known to take notes at inopportune moments about the things she's observed in people's behaviors and actions.  It's not uncommon at all to see her sitting in a corner, quietly observing the various goings on of the world around her.  And despite her giant nature, she loves children and loves to tell them stories and sing songs to brighten and lift their spirits.  She is a gentle giant, but rouse her to anger, and you'd best get out of her way as she brings down the wrath of her voice and bardic magic on any who would harm those weaker than themselves.
General Life Story:  Life among the Herd of Storms was about what you'd expect with any roaming bands of goliaths that aren't content to settle in one spot for too long.  She was alive when Kevdak rose to power within the Herd, and it was around this time that things started to get quite rough for anyone who didn't agree with him.  Gamora, even in those years when she was far younger, knew better than to draw attention to herself, content to listen to Nalpu's stories of the world she'd seen more of than most of the others could ever imagine.  How Nalpu had gotten herself mixed up with the Storm Herd, Gamora never found out, but she suspects to this day that her old tribe had been killed, leaving her and a few others to be absorbed by theirs.  Whatever the case, life wasn't ideal, especially when Grog was beaten and left for dead by Kevdak, but it was what she knew, and while she didn't like it, she didn't have the strength to leave despite being about average for your typical goliath in such terms.  She did however have a natural gift for words and fine details, remembering far more than most with very little effort, something that got her into a fair bit of trouble in its own right since Kevdak and his followers weren't big on learning anything beyond how best to kill various creatures, or each other.  Displaying her above average intelligence was often a good way to get herself punched depending on who was around at that particular moment, so she learned to simply keep her mouth shut and observe the world.  Attention soon wavered and eventually fell off entirely not long after she learned better, and life became at least bearable.  It wasn't to last.

She was fourteen when the Chroma Conclave rose to power over most of Tal'Dorei.  It was shortly after that, that her mother figure, Nalpu, was killed by the black dread himself, Umbrysal.  Gamora didn't fight Kevdak, she wanted to, but she was far from strong enough to do it, and she had no support in any event to try and take him down.  As such, with nothing keeping her there, Gamora left the Herd, making for Westruun not long after Grog returned, driving most of the Herd out of the city they had previously occupied.  Despite an understandably chilly reception, she spent some time there helping the people to rebuild, and while many still gave her odd looks when she asked to see their library in town, she was allowed to explore the place.  It was just as well, because she found out quickly, once she learned how to actually read, that she had a natural talent for more than pretty words as she began to learn to harness her bardic abilities.  From there, it was a simple thing to make her way to Emon, to learn at the best bardic college she could find, but it turned out she had nothing close to enough coin to get in through the front doors.  Enter Shaun Gilmore, who she quickly befriended and aided for several months, doing odd jobs, slaying monsters, and learning through experience just what she was capable of.  Between his patronage and her own determination, Gamora soon found herself among the company of one Kaylie Shorthalt, who she still Messages to this day despite them having gone their separate ways a few years ago now once they'd left the Lyceum together.  It was also here that she found a mysterious letter from one of her teachers, asking a question she's hoping to find an answer to, specifically what had happened to the old man.  As for the letter, most of it had been illegible, save for a question.

"How does one become a god?"

Having found her way as far as Marquet on business with Kaylie, Gamora has seen so much more of the world than most of her old Herd put together, and while she has a long way to go before she'd consider herself strong enough to make a real difference in the world, she's determined and skilled enough to see her dreams a reality.  She's also hoping to find the author of the letter she'd found, as well as any answers as to why he had disappeared, partially because she hates leaving a mystery unsolved, mostly because he had done a lot to help her get to where she is now, having believed in her and encouraged her growth as a bard of the college of lore.  Wherever her travels take her, this much will remain unchanged.  She will sing and fight her way to glory, not for the Herd of Storms that ultimately let her down, but for herself.

keyotess

By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

Winds Of Lust

drat, I see this is full up. Well if ya'll end up with any open spots I think I have a halfing ranger who would do well in this setting.

Vergil1989

It's up to Jess honestly, but she hasn't been around for a couple days.  Hopefully it's just her being busy with RL related stuff, but we haven't heard from her either so I can't say what's going on.  Hopefully she's only just busy with her job or school or whatever though.  Still, you might be in luck, you never know.  :D

JessLowell12

Hey all, sorry for my absence. School and work has kept me rather busy the past few days.