Starfinder: Dead Suns (NC/EX)

Started by PixelatedPixie, October 19, 2018, 04:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelatedPixie

I would like to try my hand (yet again) at GMing a simple Starfinder game.  In general my GMing has not gone well so player beware I suppose.

I will be basing it loosely on the Dead Suns/Incident at Absalom Station adventure path, though fully intend to modify things or for it all to go off the rails.  If nothing else though it serves as a good starting point.

Smut
Smut
I intend for the game to be high in smut, and will handle it in different ways depending on the situation.  The game will be rated Extreme, and players need to be at least comfortable with Nonconsensual-Exotic. 

In general, content will be of the M/F variety.

I will admit I tend to prefer more conservative, less sexual (at least to start), characters.  That said, sexual solutions to problems is something I would like to include.  Seduction for the purpose of infiltration, information gathering, or so on.  Of course, that is entirely up to the player, and will be character instigated.

I would like to include some sexual scenes in the form of bad luck and poor choices.  A failed roll, say to squeeze through a hole in a wall, might result in your character getting stuck and some lewd individual discovering them.  That sort of thing.

I will be including ‘bad ends’ when defeat occurs.  The idea I have in mind is to shift the plot, or at least to bring in a side-plot, when defeat happens.  The exact nature of it all will depend on what the group was defeated by, but in general it would be things such as non-consensual sex, slavery, and so on.  I also am tempted to get into ‘weirder’ things such as body modification, body swapping, pregnancy, and so on.  Those are more open to discussion.

I will be including a homebrew modification to the system.  Each character will have a ‘light’ point and a ‘dark’ point. 
- A light point can be used to add one reasonable detail to a scene.  Though I will veto it if it will clearly derail everything.  The intent is for creative solutions, interesting additions, and so on.
- A dark point can be used as an instant failure into a ‘bad end’ (as outlined above) for your character. 
- I will also give some amount of XP to the entire group when one is used.  Probably something like 5-10% of the amount needed for the next level, or an amount equivalent to what would have been earned in a failed encounter.
- The points will only reset when both have been used, or when we reach certain milestones in the campaign.

My intent is not to have every encounter end in defeat.  That said I do want defeat to be a possibility, and for a TPK (so to speak) to be a constant threat.  So, depending on player count, I may nudge a few encounters to be a bit more difficult.

Character Information
Character Information
The characters will begin at level 1.  I have access to the Armory, Pact Worlds, Alien Archive, and Alien Archive 2.  I am potentially open to content from any of them, as long as it is clearly labelled as to where it is from.  Though when it comes to races I may (will) veto some.  Third party content is not allowed.

I am, to put it simply, mainly looking for near-human looking female characters (I don’t care what gender/sex the player is).  I am also not interested in small races.  Obviously this is restrictive, but it comes down to my own ons and offs. 

Characters should have some connection to the Starfinder Society.  Either as members or as prospective applicants.  They have come to Absalom Station in search of work.  They have made arrangements to meet a dwarven Starfinder Duravor Kreel in Docking Bay 94, and are all on the same shuttle. 

QuoteThe brightly lit docks of Absalom Station are abuzz with activity as travelers bustle by, preparing to board or disembarking from starships bound to or from any of dozens of worlds.  Brash and swaggering starpilots, scurrying ysoki mechanics, and expectant colonists mingle with enigmatic kasatha mystics, hard-faced asteroid miners, imposing vesk mercenaries, and more, creating a microcosm of the abundance and variety of life in the Pact Worlds.  New arrivals meet friends, loved ones, or business contacts, and are whisked away into the humming activity of daily life on the vast space station.  Beyond them, ground crews tend to the docked ships, and dockworkers in mechanized cargo lifters load and unload freight and baggage.  A sharp tang of ozone hangs in the air-a byproduct of electrical discharges from the docked ships-but underneath, the station's atmosphere has a slightly used aroma.  The docking bay's deck plates thrum beneath your feet, though whether it's from the passage of innumerable feet or the vibrations of the station's power conduits and air recycling systems is impossible to say.

Player Expectations
Player Expectations
I would like to keep the game going at a reasonable rate.  So I am looking for people who can and will post at least twice a week (a post in OOC to say you have nothing to post is honestly fine as well), and who have the common courtesy to at least let me know when they have lost interest.  Obviously life happens, but please do try and let me know when you will be away (when possible).  I am going to try and be a bit more draconian with post rates, as I find that tends to be what kills a lot of games. 

I will try to update every 3-4 days.  At a minimum, as life does get busy sometimes, I will update at least once every 7 days. 
If a player hasn’t posted in that 3-4 day period I will generally assume their character has done nothing (or, in some situations, NPC them for a post).
If a player hasn’t posted in 14 days (without some notice obviously, if you let me know I will work around any absences) I will remove their character from the game. 

Obviously all other standard rules apply.  Be respectful, no godmoding, no metagaming (I am sure some people have already done the adventure path, that’s fine, just try to separate player knowledge from character knowledge), etc.  If you have issues with myself or another player, please let me know in PM. 

Character Sheet
Character Sheet
I dislike having to go to other websites to view a character sheet, so will require that character sheets are done on this site so I can keep them all in one place.  I will also do a header before things start that should go in each of your posts.  I am trusting players (generally) to track their own consumables, HP/SP/RP, and so on. 

When making your sheet, delete how many spaces you ‘add’ through characters to keep alignment. 

[tt]
Name:                     Race:
Class (Level):            Theme:
Size:                     Speed:             
Alignment:                Deity:
Experience:

[b]ABILITY SCORES[/b]
     Score  Mod    UpgS  UpgM
STR:   10   +0      10    +0
DEX:   10   +0      10    +0
CON:   10   +0      10    +0
INT:   10   +0      10    +0
WIS:   10   +0      10    +0
CHA:   10   +0      10    +0

Initiative:

[b]HEALTH AND RESOLVE[/b]
        SP      HP      RP 
Total:   0       0       0
[i]Note: Current will be tracked in your header[/i]

[b]ARMOUR CLASS[/b]
      Total    ARB DEX MISC
EAC:    10 =10+   +   +
KAC:    10 =10+   +   +
AcvsCM:  8 = 8+KAC
DR:        Resistances:

[b]SAVING THROWS[/b]
      Total BAS ABI MISC
Fort       =   +   +
Ref        =   +   +
Will       =   +   +

[b]ATTACK BONUSES[/b]
BAB:
        Total BAB ABI MISC
Melee        =   +   +
Ranged       =   +   +
Thrown       =   +   +

[b]WEAPONS[/b]

[b]ABILITIES[/b]

[b]FEATS AND PROFICIENCIES[/b]

[b]LANGUAGES[/b]

[b]SPELLS KNOWN[/b]
-- 0 -- p/day:
--1st-- p/day:
--2nd-- p/day:

[b]EQUIPMENT[/b]

[b]BACKGROUND[/b]

[b]DESCRIPTION[/b]

[b]EDITS[/b]
Please include a list of all edits you make to the sheet as the game progresses including a date (exp earned, equipment lost, level gained, etc).
For example:
Oct 18: Gained 200XP
[/tt]

Application
If you are interested please post a race, theme, class and brief background/concept.  I don't need a full sheet at this point, and won't be going first-come first-served.  My aim is to accept 3-4 players.

Ampere

Kenanyss Leen

Lashunta (Damaya)
Icon (Reporter)
Technomancer

Concept: Pretty face, which conceals a sharp mind, that most viewers overlook. She has come to Absalom Station looking for a story, which will convince others to take her seriously.
Background: Network 21 reporter (more accurately minor celebrity) Kenanyss was headhunted from the academy in the middle of technomancer training. Initially she thought it was because of her grades/abilities, but it quickly became clear that it had more to do with her appearance than anything more intellectual. Since then, she has fought a twin battle, both to do the very best she can, but also, to get someone to treat her as something other than the pretty one who speaks to camera.

[Totally not stalking, but I like the idea of this one as well...]
Art is magic delivered from the lie of being truth.

O&O's

GunmetalDreamer

Hey, I'm always willing to take another crack at Starfinder.

Taiga Sharque
Human Mechanic - Bounty Hunter

Taiga was born on Verces is the blistering heat just beyond the Ring of Nations.  Her parents ran a cyberclinic, and Taiga was a proud member of the Augmented caste, but she wanted a better life for her and her family.  As such, she signed on as an assistant to the bounty hunter Vrex Dargo, buying a ticket to a starfaring life as she learned the ropes.  Finally, she earned her own certification, and she went home to celebrate ... but with her new knowledge, she quickly realized that her parents were installing black market cybernetics to make ends meet.  There was an argument, and ultimately Taiga decided to leave Verces behind to start her career proper on Absalom Station.

Taiga is fairly active in the Augmented movement, and tends to react badly to criminal extremists who claim membership.  She retains her family's skills, and created the Exocortex Numeria (Numi in conversation, pronounced "New Me") as part of her own evolutionary path, installing it herself through a programmed medical robot.

Muse

Oh!  I'd love to play please! 

I'll give a proper application soon, I just wanted to jump in as soon as I could to express my excitement.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

BlackStone

Voidknight

I am potentially very interested but I have to admit I don't really know Starfinder or its setting- I am familiar with pathfinder mechanically if that helps. My usual preference would be a mechanic but would pilots be needed perhaps?

TFcommando

There's an SRD for Starfinder here.  http://www.starjammersrd.com   There's no dedicated pilot class, it's a skill many classes can take (With a character theme to make you better at it).  Each class has several major options, so two mechanics wouldn't be at all similar...  The main fork is taking a custom computer setup or a robot drone, for instance.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Grizzly

I'm interested.  I'll get a concept put together once I get to a real computer, and not my phone.
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Voidknight

Its more the setting I'm a little vague on- but I'll do a bit of reading- I'm currently musing a human envoy.

PixelatedPixie

Kenanyss and Taiga look interesting!

Quote from: BlackStone on October 20, 2018, 07:28:07 PM
Only female characters?

Yes.

Quote from: Voidknight on October 20, 2018, 09:03:36 PM
I am potentially very interested but I have to admit I don't really know Starfinder or its setting- I am familiar with pathfinder mechanically if that helps. My usual preference would be a mechanic but would pilots be needed perhaps?

As mentioned there is an SRD. 

www.aonsrd.com

If you glance at Setting then Settlements there is some information.  Absalom Station and the Pact Worlds are probably the best to glance at, as well as the Drift.  Otherwise the setting is the same universe as Pathfinder (in Space!), but after an event known as the Gap.

QuoteThe Gap is a recent phenomenon affecting all the memories and records across the multiverse. All memories and records of the planet Golarion were removed from all of the multiverse's inhabitants along with all memories of an indeterminate number of years. Even the deities are silent on the subject, vaguely referring to the safety of the lost planet of Golarion. No members of any species remembers what happened during the unknown number of years covered by the Gap.

The rules are similar to Pathfinder with some differences, such as Health/Resolve.  So you will want to glance through the SRD, but if you are familiar with Pathfinder you shouldn't struggle with the system.

schnookums

Lemme toss my hat in the ring here.

Issoli Drosi
Drow Operative- Outlaw

Issoli was set to have it all. A trained spy and assassin, she had been sent on a simple mission: A formerly powerful family had fallen out of favor, and their rivals had set things in motion to wipe them out. She was not involved in that mission, but had been contracted to clean up loose ends. Specifically a child that had been missed in the purge.  It should have been a simple mission. And yet...Issoli felt something very rare among her people. A pang of conscience. As prepared as she had thought she was, she simply couldn't bring herself to murder a child.

Having failed in her mission and knowing that another assassin would be sent in her place, she decided to take the child and flee, to get as far away as possible. She would be a pariah among her people, but perhaps she could keep the child safe. Unfortunately this would require resources that she currently lacked. She would have to continue to ply her trade, keeping to the underworld now that her normal channels were no longer safe for her.

Muse

Hope I didn't take so long.  My computers are both in the shop right now.  I've been borrowing to participate. 

Name:      Asiphara “Asi” Le’mond
Player:      Tenshi
Alignment:   Neutral Good
Class:      Solarin 4
Theme:      Icon (Teen Novelist)
Faith:      Sarenrae
Race:      Lashunta (Korama)

Sexuality:      Bisexual, innocent, and curious. 
height:      5’5”
Weight:      155lbs
Build:       Svelte tight bodied with perky C cups, supple limbs and incredible muscle tone.  She’s very feline in her grace and power. 
Skin:         Palest pink freckling in the sun. 
Hair:         Scarlet flames in a short, punk style. 
Eyes:      Light sapphire with deep ocean rims. 
Style:      Temp Weave--Knee length red skirt and low necked white blouse.  Heeled sandals.  A soft ball of amber light floats over her shoulder.  In combat she draws from it a blade blacker than ebony that slices sun rays and swallows photons in swirls of varicolored radiance. 

History:   At the tender age of 13, Asi became famous on Castrovale for a trilogy of novels about a girl--Arindalise "Rini" Avalor--and a bronze dragon--Thanuin Skybolt.  Though tame compared to most stories written by adults, the romantic relationship between girl and dragon was a veritable tango of understated dominance and submission in the midst of an epic quest to liberate the Forest of Clouds from a green wyrm--Niriza the Emerald Death. 

As the young author matured into a stunning young woman, gossip about her love life shot around the Matrix on Castrovale and beyond.  Those few who even realized she was studying the art of the Solarin beneath her uncle Vash mostly just offered it as an interesting tid bit, "Oh, and did you know she's a Solarin, too?  She's so radiant, I bet uses uses a stellar blade." 

Having finished her trilogy 3 months ago with the publication of The Rider in the Mists, and graduated high school, Asi's fans are already pushing her for a new trilogy featuring Rini and Than. 

Two days ago, before boarding a ship for Absalom station, she gave a few reporters a cheerful smile, "I'm not ready to write anything else just yet.  When i do give you another novel--and I will--it will not be about Rini and THan.  They've been good friends to me for as long as I can rember, and I want them to have their happily ever after."  She gave a cheerful wave as she bored the shuttle, then drew a rolled up letter out of her cleavage.  "The Starfinder Society.  Maybe my next story won't be one I write." 

She strapped into the sheet and doodled in a paper journal.  "Maybe it will be one i live." 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Athem

I don't have much experience with Starfinder, but here's my concept:

Asta
Race: Human
Theme: Icon (actress)
Class: Envoy

Asta is a young up-and-coming actress who plays action heroine roles. Or would, if her last agent had been any use: she's had a few roles in low-budget productions, but is still looking for her big break.

She's a bit of an adrenaline junkie and likes to do her own stunts (which helped land her roles: low budgets often meant no money for stunt crew). Overall, she's enthusiastic and keen, but her self-confidence makes her prone to getting in over her head.

Asta joined the Starfinder Society for the experience, as a form of method acting, and frankly because it was a more interesting choice than some of the others that were available to her 'between roles'.

Ampere

Soooo many icons... will have to review Pact Worlds for different themes.
Art is magic delivered from the lie of being truth.

O&O's

GunmetalDreamer

I will only point out that Gladiators get the ability to wear armor to formal occasions, like space-luchadores.

1651Leviathan

Very interested! I'll get something up later today or tomorrow.

avarus

Looks awesome, I'll throw my hat in the ring!

Name: Amelia Winterheart
Class: Soldier
Theme: Mercenary
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Amelia never was one for asking many questions, this started when she was rescued from the streets, or rather, was forcefully recruited by a private security contractor. The training regime was tough -probably even downright illegally so- but nobody complained, the only alternative after all was being returned to the streets. It meant food, a roof over their head and an even brighter future than Amelia could Have imagined after having been kicked to the curb from her parental home.

After half a year of training she entered the employment of the private security contractor, as was stipulated by her ‘contract’. As a ‘junior asset manager’ her squad was sent to the lowest regions of Absalom station, to engage in what was effectively gang warfare. And this taught Amelia all she would need to know for the rest of her life. After five years of service she took her almost non-existent savings, discontinued her contract and hitched the first shuttle out of the station. Though she tried to find employment far away from Absalom station it was mostly a disappointment. She managed to last almost a year, slowly draining her resources until she heard of work on Absolom station. Scraping her last credits together on her credstick she booked passage on a shuttle back to the station of her birthplace. Maybe this dwarf would be able to turn her luck around…

PixelatedPixie

They look interesting!  I will give it at least a few more days before making any final decision. 

schnookums
I won't flat out forbid Drow, but I will say I am not generally the biggest fan of them. 

avarus
Is there a specific reason you went with Evil?  I'll admit I tend to have reservations about evil characters in a non-evil group. 

Re Z L

I'm interested, going to piece together a little Human Mechanic with the Roboticist theme for consideration, probably with strong ties to Starfinder Society and Absalom Station.  Something like a junior member that does maintenance work for them.  Should have it put together tomorrow.
A&A

Chulanowa

I've got an idea for a Mystic, I've just got to take a little time to wrap my head around the Starfinder stuff  ;D

Voidknight

Think I'll step back- thank you for the information on Starfinder, I suspect it's not so much my thing. Hope you all have a great time!

avarus

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on October 25, 2018, 08:29:05 PM
avarus
Is there a specific reason you went with Evil?  I'll admit I tend to have reservations about evil characters in a non-evil group.
Hrmm, considering the history I was drifting between Lawful Neutral and Lawful Evil. She'll be dependable group member anyway. She won't be evil in the "kick a bag of puppies" way, more in the "exploit the system to get her way" way. Depending on how you look at it, could be either alignment, if you prefer it I can always switch her to Lawful Neutral. (Haha, the eternal alignment debate :P)

Chulanowa

(Warning; Absurdly large image)
Name: Lysia Zarxire
Race: Strix
Class: Mystic
Theme: Xenoseeker

Background:   Lysia Zarxire is driven by curiosity. Not so much out of a desire for knowledge, as just the satisfaction of finding out. It was this curiosity that led her to magic, and from there the understanding that magic connects all things in a web of energy and power. Unfortunately, Strix do not tend to care for magic and she found herself a pariah among her own people for her studies. Disappointed but undaunted, she left to explore greater vistas than her home aerie on Verces.

Her curiosity hasn't come without its price; plumbing the secrets of the multiverse can lead to dark places. Her lack of caution has led to her dabbling her toes into the study of Elder Cults, an ill-advised scouting op against some Lamashtu worshipers, and even a harrowing experience with the corpse Fleet. That latter one has taken her to Absalom Station with the intention of "laying low," but she's not real good at that; as soon as she heard the Starfinder Society was recruiting, she was there bright and early Absalom Time to get her name entered.

Concept: Lysia likes aliens, and is as apt to take notes on a hostile offworld creature as she is to fly away. She's cheerful, almost bubbly - which to anyone who knows Strix might actually be a little unsettling. Some of this is an act - she wants to present herself as an ambassador for her people, and figures this whole "being friendly" thing might help. Despite her ahem, flighty presentation, she's deeply knowledgeable about a great many things... in fact more than a few things that it's probably best to not be knowledgeable about.
   (Think Evie from "The Mummy,' but with a dash of Lovecraft and awkward college freshman.)

Re Z L

Name:  Iri Carline
Race:  Human
Class:  Mechanic (Drone)
Theme:  Roboticist
Background:  The Absalom Station native discovered a knack for technology at a young age, which lead to the "repurposing" of items around her parent's apartment while she was growing up.  The good-natured girl was raised with the idea that looking out for others was the best way to look out for herself, so she quickly got along with most of the other residents along the docks of the Station where she would often watch the ships come in.  The bubblegum-chewing, blonde haired girl didn't seem like the most obvious gear head, but she quickly took on an apprenticeship with the Starfinder Society's mechanics until she eventually began to prove herself more and more capable to handle responsibilities on her own.  While not really an "official" member of the Society, she knows a number of the whos who, and where to go around the station to talk to folks.  She's been eager to try and prove herself as someone that they could trust to go on more important missions, especially considering that she's never really worked anywhere other than on the station itself.

Sheet (WIP)

Name:                     Race:
Class (Level):            Theme:
Size:                     Speed:             
Alignment:                Deity:
Experience:

ABILITY SCORES
     Score  Mod    UpgS  UpgM
STR:   10   +0      10    +0
DEX:   10   +0      10    +0
CON:   10   +0      10    +0
INT:   10   +0      10    +0
WIS:   10   +0      10    +0
CHA:   10   +0      10    +0

Initiative:

HEALTH AND RESOLVE
        SP      HP      RP 
Total:   0       0       0
Note: Current will be tracked in your header

ARMOUR CLASS
      Total    ARB DEX MISC
EAC:    10 =10+   +   +
KAC:    10 =10+   +   +
AcvsCM:  8 = 8+KAC
DR:        Resistances:

SAVING THROWS
      Total BAS ABI MISC
Fort       =   +   +
Ref        =   +   +
Will       =   +   +

ATTACK BONUSES
BAB:
        Total BAB ABI MISC
Melee        =   +   +
Ranged       =   +   +
Thrown       =   +   +

WEAPONS

ABILITIES

FEATS AND PROFICIENCIES

LANGUAGES

SPELLS KNOWN
-- 0 -- p/day:
--1st-- p/day:
--2nd-- p/day:

EQUIPMENT

BACKGROUND

DESCRIPTION

EDITS
Please include a list of all edits you make to the sheet as the game progresses including a date (exp earned, equipment lost, level gained, etc).
For example:
Oct 18: Gained 200XP
A&A

Muse

My lap top lives!!! 

Can start putting together Asi tonight or tomorrow. 

Anything I need to know? :)