Walking the Path [Star Wars RP] Recruitment thread

Started by Inkidu, March 03, 2009, 10:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: MadPanda on March 12, 2009, 04:12:12 PM
Oooo, perfect!  Thank you.

A Wookie Master for a Trandoshan Padawan.  There's a thought...
Sure if you can find someone to play one of them. I don't want people to do both. Not enough conflict (in the literary sense of the word).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MadPanda

Well, if PC on PC conflict is a big thing, we probably don't want to go freeform.  :P
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Inkidu

Quote from: MadPanda on March 12, 2009, 04:25:17 PM
Well, if PC on PC conflict is a big thing, we probably don't want to go freeform.  :P
No not in that sense. I'm talking about a Master and Student railroading if they're played by the same person. You can play someone else's master just not your own.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MadPanda

Oh, okay--yes, I gathered that someone else would have to play the Wookie in question  :-)

In Memory of Bishrook

Vandren

Hmm . . . the possibilities.  There's an Anomid Jedi student lurking in the old files, or a Weequay parked next to him.  Or vanilla Human.   :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Inkidu

Hey I'm doing a Mandalorian...

Oh and there is something called the lightclub. It looks like the bastard sword of the lightsaber world.

Primarch

My character:
QuoteName: Kizar Kommizzar
Favored forms: II + IV
Favored force powers: Force Valor, Force Absorb, Battle Precognition and Force Grip
Lightsaber:  Single lightsaber, Green Blade, with modification to adjust blade length rapidly. Crystals used, Lava Crystal (causing a less concentrated or "focused" blade, but very hot, even compared to regular lightsaber blades) and a Firkrann Crystal (causing a minor electrical discharge on blade contact)

Further Info: Kizar is a Falleen Padawan (I made him 13 now, as when the Younglings age, giving them 10 years, he'll be 23, which is just about old enough to become a Knight as they're becoming Padawans), from the Falleen planet. Discovered to be force sensitive when only a few months old, was given to the Jedi to be trained. As a Falleen, he is considered highly attractive, as Falleen themselves are considered one of the most physically pleasing species on the eye in the galaxy. Like all Falleen, he is capable of altering his skin colour, and releasing pheromones. He is currently being trained to be a Jedi Guardian. 

Does that seem cool? But, yes I would say make the game free form. *nods* And yes lightclubs, wouldn't call them the bastard sword of lightsabers though, more like the masamune, although they're freaking huge, unless someone is apping a extremely tall character, its ridiculous that anyone would use one.

If someone really wants something interesting, a Force Pike is the way to go. *nods*

Inkidu

Yeah if you add the ten years for the younging to padawan then ten for padawan to knight that works.
Oh you misspelled grip in your force powers. Not fussing just letting you know.

Primarch

So I did! Well its fixed now. Also, I think I read in one of the posts something about someone never hearing of a wookie Jedi?

The gentleman on the far right is Master Tyvokka.

And just for your amusement:
Beldorian the Hutt

That's Leia he's fighting by the way.
Oh and Vandren, there's alot outside the movies that is canon, plenty of books and comics that are 100% canon, as stated by Lucas himself. In fact, there's a "library" on everything that's starwars canon, so when a new writer has an idea, he has to contact the two women who run the library, and go over the details, to make sure everything matches up and can't interfere with any other canon established. Far more of the story has been told through comics and books. Just an FYI.  ;D

Inkidu

My bad I didn't think of this. Put a line at the top that says whether this will be a student or a teacher.

Teacher

Name: Ashina Maris
Favored forms: V dedicated.
Favored force powers: Mind trick, Stun humanoid, stun droid force wave.
Lightsaber: Reverse grip: single bladed lightsaber blue. Light casing for faster movement and a strong crystal to add to beam intensity, more solid for the many blows she blocks.

Ashina is a newly knighted Jedi at the time of the clans choosing. She's a miraluka so she's blind and a dedicated form V user, practicing great patience. She never makes a wasteful move so form V is the ideal for her. Picking out someone's mistakes the council looks onto her as the ideal Jedi teacher.

(Oh I will accept masters too but they'll be considerably older late forties to fifties.)

Inkidu

Maybe a little younger. A master is just a jedi who has had a padawan become a knight before after all.

Primarch

Well surely anyone who's a Youngling or Padawan has to be a student? So is it necessary for everyone?

Oh and allow me to fanboy for a moment, but Form V isn't actually suitable to be used in reverse grip, as that's general done with one hand. Form V requires two hands to allow for the physically forceful swings to wear down an opponents defence. Form IV on the other hand is perfect, as it relies more so on fast movements and jumping about to put yourself in a better position then your opponent. :D

That being said, its your character, and I'm sure for the purpose of the game we don't need to get bogged down on minor details.

Inkidu

Quote from: Primarch on March 12, 2009, 08:53:23 PM
Well surely anyone who's a Youngling or Padawan has to be a student? So is it necessary for everyone?

Oh and allow me to fanboy for a moment, but Form V isn't actually suitable to be used in reverse grip, as that's general done with one hand. Form V requires two hands to allow for the physically forceful swings to wear down an opponents defence. Form IV on the other hand is perfect, as it relies more so on fast movements and jumping about to put yourself in a better position then your opponent. :D

That being said, its your character, and I'm sure for the purpose of the game we don't need to get bogged down on minor details.
Tell that to Darth Vadar's secret apprentice he does the same thing.
There's a reason behind it.

Primarch

Yes but his form wasn't form V, he was a master of all forms, drawing heavily on V, but also III and VII, not to mention his far from normally high connection to the force, allowing for beyond normal Force Valor styled combat. :D

Inkidu

Well her form is a little more elaborate. Her light case allows for faster motion in case of projectiles and a stronger beam so she can repulse the blade easier instead of saberlocking plus she's a miraluke higher sensitivity so she doesn't need both hands. Her form also employs two handed moments but that's only if she deems it necessarily. Lots of flipping and hand switching actually. Reverse grip is just the origin.

Inkidu

I hope I didn't turn you away Primarch. I just think a little badassedness is well badass.

MadPanda

Student

Name:  Ssathua
Favored forms: III, later VI
Favored force powers: Force Disarm, Mind Trick, Negate Energy
Lightsaber: Shoto style with blue blade

Ssathua is unusual, for a Trandoshan.  There's his gila-monster coloration, for one thing, and then there's his attitude: thoughtful, contemplative, and otherworldly.  Had a visiting Jedi not spotted his potential, he would probably not have survived to see his tenth birthday.  As it was, his clan was only too happy to be rid of this embarrassment.

In Memory of Bishrook

Inkidu

Maybe I should think about putting up some threads.

Vandren

Quote from: Primarch on March 12, 2009, 08:42:48 PMOh and Vandren, there's alot outside the movies that is canon, plenty of books and comics that are 100% canon, as stated by Lucas himself. In fact, there's a "library" on everything that's starwars canon, so when a new writer has an idea, he has to contact the two women who run the library, and go over the details, to make sure everything matches up and can't interfere with any other canon established. Far more of the story has been told through comics and books. Just an FYI.  ;D

There's a big difference between canon and keeping from retconing.  What's described above is the latter.  And, yes, I realize there are a ton of books and comics, and video games.  Personally, like a lot of purists, I don't consider them (with few exceptions) to be canon.  About the only ones I consider canon are the Timothy Zahn "Thrawn" novels.

Re: Form V and reverse grips . . . speaking as someone who's used a sword a lot, it's very possible to wear someone down with pretty strong reverse grip strikes.  You can get a lot of power with cuts that way.  Especially if you get fictional and add Force enhanced strength.  :)

Inkidu:

I'll get a character worked up sometime today or tomorrow.  Probably Human, since the general trend seems to be toward non-humans.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Primarch

Nope not turned off, just went to bed! ^^

And Vandren, while I'm struggling not to sound like an opinion nazi or something, which isn't how I intend to come across, but with Star Wars being the work of George Lucas, its his choice what's canon and what's not. It doesn't really matter what "purists" consider to be canon. The creator of Star Wars has said its canon. "Purists" have no more a voice in the matter then anyone else. A lot of the books and comics are canon. Its not a matter of opinion or personal choice. They're canon. 

Inkidu

Well guys cannon doesn't play a lot into this. So don't fret over it. I've just put it in a place. I'm even more pure than most, I don't really consider anything canon unless it's a movie or the Forced Unleashed which I remember being quoted as the only official canon video game. Still unimportant.

I'll consider Lucas's opinion again when he makes the last three movies. I'm so upset about that. Still remember that I picked a place that probably never touches anything remote to official canon and it took me the better part of a week so keep the fanboyism down, or is it fanboyance?

Form V isn't the wear them down form either, it's passive aggression force them to make a mistake. III is the pure defense form.

Vandren

Quote from: Primarch on March 13, 2009, 11:55:51 AM
And Vandren, while I'm struggling not to sound like an opinion nazi or something, which isn't how I intend to come across, but with Star Wars being the work of George Lucas, its his choice what's canon and what's not. It doesn't really matter what "purists" consider to be canon. The creator of Star Wars has said its canon. "Purists" have no more a voice in the matter then anyone else. A lot of the books and comics are canon. Its not a matter of opinion or personal choice. They're canon.

Sorry, Lucas doesn't get an opinion until he starts producing quality again.  :)  Not that I've ever seen Lucas state anything that he didn't personally write is canon (the closest I've seen him come is with the Zahn "Thrawn" trilogy), which I suppose includes the two recent TV animated series, even if the current one is pretty bad.  Of course, I quit closely following things a few years after high school.

But that, as Inkidu has noted, is neither here nor there. 

Honestly, the only times I've ever really cared about "canon" are 1) when I've run things [to keep out certain things, like the abomination that is R.A. Salvatore's lack of creativity] and 2) when really poor writers get involved [most of the SW writers, save Hambly, Zahn, Traviss, and Anderson, really].

Primarch

Being a fanboy or not aside, Lucas has a rating system for what is and is not canon. The category's being G-Canon, T-Canon, C-Canon, S-Canon and lastly N-Canon. Everything from G to C is official canon. Falling into that list is a large number of comics, books & video games (Like Force Unleashed, the KoToR games and more). S-Canon and N-Canon are things like What-if stories & Star Wars: Galaxies, mainly.

But as you say, canon won't be playing into this story. So moving swiftly on, since we have a few characters offered in, will we be seeing a bigging thread soon?

Inkidu

I could put up a Character Profile thread and an OOC thread right now. I think I've got enough interest that it is safe enough back shortly with links.

I was trying to nail down the rating. I'm thinking about making it NC-E just because that seems to act like a catch all for degrees of sexual content.

(I personally thought, along with my dad that Lucas would have tied the Star Wars Universe into Earth in some shape form or fashion, but alas I'll never know...)

Inkidu

Not quite done yet but, I want people to know I will accept non-Jedi characters (Bounty hunter, mercs, soldiers, smugglers, scruffy nerf herders...) but later as the story branches out into the conflict.