Walking the Path [Star Wars RP] Recruitment thread

Started by Inkidu, March 03, 2009, 10:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I sort of want to do a Star Wars Jedi life thing. Players would play students brought as younglings and the role play would follow them as they became padawans learned lightsaber forms, specialized and made there own lightsabers. Then as they become knights either fall to the dark side leave or take padawans of their own.

The problems I'm facing are rather typical:

Finding a place that isn't totally chocked to the gills with canonical material.
-I'm thinking after the Battle of Ruusan where the Jedi order become more structured. Though I would like to use the academy on Corusant (sp. Will happen a lot)

Stuff like that. It will take a long time. So this is a petition for help and ideas.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Primarch

I'd be quite interested, will you be GMing the game or playing the roll of an instructor or some such?

Vandren

I'd be potentially interested.  Depends on whether you're planning system (and what system) or freeform.

As far as timing, really anything that isn't during episodes 4-6, or even 1-3, ought to work.  Seeing as everything that goes on outside those six movies is technically non-canon, it can be changed with impunity without harming the fabric of the setting.  At least in this fan's mind.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Inkidu

I don't know much in the way of systems but I will let someone GM that aspect. I can control story and direction (Note Master he he)

I would really like to put Yoda in it but that's because he's Yoda and his badass factor is +infinity. It needs a lot of work. I might even have to come up with some non-canonical conflict.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Foxy

I would be interested but the only system I have is the old D6.  I am fine with free form though.

Inkidu

I appreciate the interest but I require a lot more learning on my part. My knowledge is cursory with the fan-base at best.

Still I have it down in the way the students know each other. They're all in the same clan of younglings. I just want to nail down the time. I like the master padawan dynamic so it will be after the restructuring but before the Clone Wars.

Vandren

Period sounds good.  :)

Regarding system and whatnot, freeform may be the best route to go as far as attracting players. 

For myself, I've used the WEG d6 SW system, but don't have any of the materials, so the only adaptable system with which I am familiar and have materials would be GURPS.  And that adaptation has considerable flaws (there are GURPS SW conversions out there, but Force powers don't translate well in most of them).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Inkidu

I've just finished reading up on the seven lightsaber forms and what goes into making a lightsaber. Crucial bit in a Jedi's training. (Cool Jedi is in the spellchecker.) It will be required that everyone take a form, or two or modify some forms at some points. Unfortunately it's not under one Wookipedia page so you have to look them all up individually.

Well I think system will be more fair when we do things like combat. I just have no knowledge base for systems. I only understood d6. That a standard die.

Inkidu

The Challenge now is coming up with a galaxy wide, not war, but crisis. It would help keep the padawans and masters close doing different missions on same planets. So I can keep the role play moving forward.

Inkidu

I've actually got the better part of the story down. I just kind of want it to fit better. It feels jagged....

Hunter

Primarch

If you want any advice I'm a admitted SW fanboy (been in and out of rehab for years now :P), got a large knowledge base. Would gladly help with sussing things out if it might help get things running.

Vandren

Certainly willing to help out as well, as both a SW fan for the last 20+ years and an editor.  :)

Urialen

Inkidu

Quote from: Urialen on March 10, 2009, 06:11:20 PM
Count me in.

Oh if only... (Lit major. There is a lack of females in the Empire to show the attachment to technology and an absence of nature.)

I love analyzing Star Wars from a literary perspective.

Anyway, here's what I have:

The specifics are still a little iffy but a group of force sensitive beings is taken to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant (which is actually a word, it means shinny or lustrous) they're all put into the same clan of younglings and train with one another, building a strong relationship with each other.

About the time they become older padawans. Preparing for the trials a conflict breaks out in the mid to outer rims of the galaxy. Typical Sith reemergence. Can't beat that. Backed with pirates and criminals.

It takes place after the reformation but before the events of Knights of the Old Republic.
The role play starts on their first days of training (Fourish I supose)
Motivations are all up to the players.

What I need is:

A few older padawans to become knights when the clan grows up.
And the younglings themselves. Will accept two profiles one for a youngling and one for a would-be knights. Though you have to be someone else's youngling/padawan.

Lightsabers come later of course. But you can have an idea for your profile.

Profile:

Name
Favored forms: I-VII (Look up forms on wookiepedia. Maximum of two)
Favored force powers: four max (Core do not count ie. Push, pull, speed, sense, saber throw.)
Lightsaber (Or projection thereof)

My only problem now is. System or free form?
I just can't seem to make up my mind. What would you guys and ladies prefer?

BlueMary

I wouldn't mind tossing in my two cents of interest!

MadPanda

Oooo, maybe!  Maybe...

Not up on all the canon-y bits and pieces but this has potential!

(and worse, I like SWSE better than the WEG d6...but WEG d6 better than pre-Saga attempts at d20.  Go figure.  I say we try freeform...)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Hunter

Pick me!  Pick me!  I've got a Farghul that I've been wanting to try out.

Inkidu

Quote from: MadPanda on March 12, 2009, 02:48:41 PM
Oooo, maybe!  Maybe...

Not up on all the canon-y bits and pieces but this has potential!

(and worse, I like SWSE better than the WEG d6...but WEG d6 better than pre-Saga attempts at d20.  Go figure.  I say we try freeform...)
Eh actually it's as canon free as I could get it. The reformation is just when the Jedi Order became stricter. Age restrictions, the Padawan/Master training style. The formality and robes.

Knights of the Old Republic is easy enough to look up.

MadPanda

No, I mean stuff like the various lightsaber forms, et cetera.   :-)

I have a funny looking little Trandoshan Padawan I could resurrect.  He was kind of fun, even though the game sank almost at once.

In Memory of Bishrook

Inkidu

Quote from: MadPanda on March 12, 2009, 03:10:04 PM
No, I mean stuff like the various lightsaber forms, et cetera.   :-)

I have a funny looking little Trandoshan Padawan I could resurrect.  He was kind of fun, even though the game sank almost at once.
The Wookie poaching reptiles? Why not. Though I've never heard of a wookie jedi either.

MadPanda

He was a bit of an oddball.  Also had a gila-monster paint job.

Hmmm.  Wookie Jedi.  Could make for an interesting character...

In Memory of Bishrook

Inkidu

Form I: Shii-Cho, also known as The Way of the Sarlacc, or The Determination Form, was the first of the seven forms of lightsaber combat.

Form II: Makashi, also known as The Way of the Ysalamiri, or The Contention Form, was the second form of the seven forms of lightsaber combat.

Form III: Soresu, also known as the Way of the Mynock, or The Resilience Form, was the third of the seven forms of lightsaber combat.

Form IV: Ataru, also known as the Way of the Hawk-Bat, or The Aggression Form, was the fourth of the seven forms of lightsaber combat.

Form V: Shien / Djem So, also known as The Way of the Krayt Dragon, or The Perseverance Form, was the fifth of seven forms.

Form VI: Niman, also known as The Way of the Rancor, The Moderation Form, and The Diplomatic Form, was the sixth form of the seven forms of lightsaber combat.

Form VII
: Juyo / Vaapad, also known as The Way of the Vornskr, or The Ferocity Form, was the seventh of seven forms.

The links take you to the extended articles.

Inkidu

Oh everyone knows Shii Cho. SO anyone who picks it gets the benefit over just basic knowledge.

MadPanda

Oooo, perfect!  Thank you.

A Wookie Master for a Trandoshan Padawan.  There's a thought...

In Memory of Bishrook