Hmm...apparently Katy Perry's cleavage was too much for Sesame Street.

Started by Wolfy, September 23, 2010, 10:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I don't mean to say, of course, that I wouldn't sleep with her.  That's just silly.  I just don't see her as so stupefyingly gorgeous like some people do.  Nor do I understand the concept of her being curvy; that's news to me.

As far as her fashion sense goes, I'm not hating on it as a whole.  I'm only talking about the dress from the video, and I sincerely think it is ugly.  I don't see her in the same light as, say, Lady GaGa, who purposely wears unusual things to make a point; Katy Perry hasn't put herself out there as an artist like that.  I just think she had awful taste in that instance (or the person picking for her did, either one).

And I somehow doubt I'm going to hurt her feelings, even if my opinion DID somehow reach her.  She's got money, she's famous, she's got more than enough people drooling over her body, so I don't feel even a little guilty about bashing her. :P
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Zeitgeist

If Elmo don't want to play dress up with Katy Perry. I WILL.  :-[ ;D

Jude

I didn't mean my comment so seriously, I just don't find her attractive.  Too much makeup, not enough individual style.  Her body type is pretty much identical to my girlfriend, though.

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Jude on September 25, 2010, 08:08:39 PM
Too much makeup, not enough individual style.

This.

I don't like "Generically styled" visual on people.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Blitzy

I don't find Katy Perry 'ugly' but I agree with Will: She's forgettable to me. There's nothing about her that makes her stand out. I don't hate her music, her, or anything like that. I like Lady GaGa but I don't think that she's 'gorgeous'. I think she's funky and fun.

That dress is horrible but that's no reason that it should be banned from Sesame Street. I have a little girl who watches it and I wouldn't have a problem with her seeing that. I think that there are far creepier things out there for kids to watch... like Yo Gabba Gabba. And especially Elijah Wood's weird 'puppetmaster' dance on there.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Serephino

I think parents are just over thinking things anymore.  We adults tend to forget that we watched the Smurfs, with Smurfette being the only girl, and thought nothing of it.  Or if Papa Smurf really was there father.... or where Mama Smurf was for that matter. 

I'm sure there are many other examples, but that's the only one I can think of at the moment.  We're the ones who think about things like that.  It's like parents are going from one extreme to the other.  They're making kids grow up with activities and schedules, and then trying to protect their innocence by censoring the crap out of everything.

I'm sure they showed stuff like that on Sesame Street when I watched it as a kid, but I don't remember because I didn't notice or care.  I know they've been saying that Oscar the grouch is depressed, and Bert and Ernie are gay partners....  *headdesk*  Ever since we've become more aware of mental disorders everything became so complicated.  We need to remember what innocence was like before making such judgments. 

As for the all important; is Katy Perry hot?  She has a pretty face and a decent body, but I don't like the way she dresses.  Her costume in the video wasn't that bad though.   

Host of Seraphim

Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

MasterMischief

Serephino

Yeah, hips and legs....   I like her music about as much as her style of dress. 

Chevalier des Poissons

Boobs + hips + legs.

If this keeps going the only nice thing on her will be her toes.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Host of Seraphim

Quote from: Chevalier des Poissons on September 25, 2010, 11:17:49 PM
Boobs + hips + legs.

If this keeps going the only nice thing on her will be her toes.

She does have really gorgeous eyes, too.  ;D

More thoughts, after watching the video:

- Zooey Deschanel called, she wants her DNA back.
- I like this version of Hot and Cold better than the original because of Elmo.
- Oscar the Grouch is awesome.
- If I was five or so and was watching this, I wouldn't have noticed her epic boobage, but if I was five and I was watching this and my mom noticed she would raise all kinds of hell. (She was always like that when my sister and I were kids.)
- Katy was actually a lot less obnoxious when she sang Christian music. Still pretty obnoxious, though.

Katy (Perry) Hudson - Faith Won't Fail
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Oniya

I've seen more cleavage on a Barbie costume - and those are rabidly marketed to kids.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

MasterMischief

TheLovelyMaid

I think this was an overreaction...no one on set thought anything was wrong with her outfit...

rubber duckie, you're the one...

Wolfy

Ya know...I think all this outrage could have been avoided if that "Shear" she's wearing wasn't flesh colored...<_<>_>

Katrina

As the parent of a 4 yr old, I think she should have been more covered up for a show thats geared toward children.  Part of the problem today is,kids will see something like this and then want to dress the way she dresses.  And that can lead to other problems.

This is a little off topic maybe, but it goes hand in hand.  The clothing (some of it) that is even geared towards children these days is...how can I put it.  Slutty?

You even have padded training bras. (I got one that age too).  Short shorts, halter tops, short skirts, etc.  Its like the clothing industry is trying to lead them down a path they are not ready for and gives those with sick intentions something to look at.

Ultimately it IS up to the parents, but it does make it hard to find decent clothes for young girls to wear. Also, its up to the parents to decide what their child can watch and shouldn't have to worry about a wholesome show like Sesame Street, which has changed a great deal since I use to watch it.

But, I can see the anger from some parents.  Sorry, I got off topic.

Oniya

Quote from: Katrina on September 27, 2010, 09:46:46 AM
You even have padded training bras. (I got one that age too).  Short shorts, halter tops, short skirts, etc.  Its like the clothing industry is trying to lead them down a path they are not ready for and gives those with sick intentions something to look at.

I didn't get a training bra until Jr. high - which should be well past the age of Sesame Street.  O_o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zeitgeist

What I don't get is, the show is taped, right? Why wasn't the 'issue' resolved then?

"Hey, Katy, cover up a bit more okay? Thanks..."

Problem solved. <shrug>

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Wolfy

Good...She should be poking fun at them.

Honestly, sometimes I think people listen too much to the minority in this country. o3o I'd bet money that a majority of parents who saw that clip didn't have a problem with it, it was just the soccer-moms with their megaphones that ****ed it up. >_>

kylie

Quote from: Katrina
As the parent of a 4 yr old, I think she should have been more covered up for a show thats geared toward children.  Part of the problem today is,kids will see something like this and then want to dress the way she dresses.  And that can lead to other problems.

This is a little off topic maybe, but it goes hand in hand.  The clothing (some of it) that is even geared towards children these days is...how can I put it.  Slutty?

If you are claiming from the start that certain types of clothing are simply "slutty" and they must lead "down a path" with no exceptions worth mentioning, then you are already in the business of policing feminine attire.  You can say that it's about adults being able to handle it versus children not if you like, but I'm skeptical.  The very same sort of rhetoric about attire is used to excuse badmouthing and attacking adult women. 

There's a more fundamental problem under this: People are arguing about whether children should be able to view and/or adopt things they consider to be adult.  The conservative side does what you see here and says no, if they even can imagine it, there will be catastrophe because they're children and they can't possibly understand or make a good choice -- no matter who they talk to.  In that view, mere exposure to a lowcut top is some kind of fundamental end of innocence.  If you look at the language, though, the same logic of exposure and propriety is used to police adult women.  When we take it for granted that a lowcut top or an augmented bustline must obviously send a message about sexuality (as opposed to say: comfort with oneself, art, personal pride totally apart from sexual availability, or functional ventilation), or when we take it for granted that people are generally expected to respond as if it did, then we have set up a trap for everyone who dresses feminine. 

There is some comfort in this thinking because it allows us to believe that all women have to do is be constantly alert to what is socially considered modest versus risque, and presto they can control how people treat them at any given time.  However, it focuses social regulation upon women etc. (for others who dress feminine).  First, the wearers themselves, and then their families and associates are held accountable for maintaining a reputation of modesty and purity.  We say, oh look, if you simply dress like this everyone will know you are a modest person and you will never have trouble.  And if you do not, you must be guided by your family and elders, or else you should expect to meet with dire consequences.  You might be called a slut, a "safe" conservative person will not see you as a good partner, or you might be attacked or raped.  So wearers of feminine attire, primarily biological females, are supposed to watch how they dress in order to avoid trouble.  It's a catch 22, because they are the ones who are most commonly slandered as sexually immoral or attacked with excuses about their clothing in the society at large, to begin with.  We see this taken to a certain visual extreme with the burqa in the Middle East.  Some Americans are so upset that this has become an added political excuse for wars to be fought in the area.

I understand that some parents can think Katy was just another example in a trend toward more "risque" clothing for youth, and I can understand that some would prefer to find relatively modest attire for their children.  I don't think that calling Katy part of a "slutty" trend addresses the underlying social problem.  The way I see it, there is no truly safe choice as long as you buy into a situation where the only question is what one can safely wear.  Today's uniform of ultimate modesty is the foundation of tomorrow's Britney Spears video.  If all the girls wear the same uniform, those who seek any visual excuse to call them sluts or to rape them will pick on a tiny fold of the cuff, a dimple, or a hairstyle, someone's height or race or whatever.  The basic problem will not go away, and both the aggressors and the "good mothers" will still be sharing in this same old game of both priming and blaming the victim.                   

Instead, why not educate people so that looks are not the key to judgments of modesty or permissiveness?  What about art, comfort with one's body, physical comfort, consent, desire, various kinds of relationships beyond "hey wanna fuck"?  But to discuss these things, to give people with feminine attire a real choice in what they can expect, to shape both motherhood and masculinity into something besides policing or defending girls' looks...  Then we have to get beyond the conservative notions that some clothing is always, obviously slutty and it's all the girls and mothers' fault, and that any other way would mean "corrupting" innocent children with too much information they can't handle in the schools and streets.             

Florence

I would have pulled it for the fact that Katy Perry is a talentless hack xD

... but that's about the only thing in that clip that really offends me xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.