Interest Check: Shadowrun 3rd Edition

Started by Hunter, November 28, 2009, 01:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

I'm willing to GM a game but I'd want to know who'd be interested and what they'd be bringing to the (virtual) table.

Transgirlenstein

I've never played but I would be interested if its easy to learn.  I always wanted to play a female orc orcplotation actress...
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Kunoichi

I've got the third edition rulebook, but I only have experience playing 4th. ^^; Still, I wouldn't mind trying, say, a Human Adept or something like that.

DeviantMunster

I only have Shadowrun 4th edition, but I could probably find the 3rd somewhere. I'd probably be interest in playing *thinks* and elf hacker, since they seem generally useful in a techy environment like Shadowrun.

MasterMischief

Nice to see some interest in other systems.   ;D

HairyHeretic

Quote from: DeviantMunster on November 28, 2009, 04:36:17 PM
I only have Shadowrun 4th edition, but I could probably find the 3rd somewhere. I'd probably be interest in playing *thinks* and elf hacker, since they seem generally useful in a techy environment like Shadowrun.

If you mean a decker, I'd actually advise against it. The decker is off in the Matrix while the rest of the team are on a run, so it actually means you don't spend that time with the rest of the group. Decker makes a better NPC I think.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

DeviantMunster

What about the Technomancers. Or rather, Otaku? They don't use decks, I think.

Kunoichi

Yeah.  In 4th, the developers specifically stated that they seriously reworked the Matrix rules to make the decker better able to participate on runs.  I've heard that 3rd edition Matrix rules are more complicated and involved. ^^;

Hunter

Quote from: Kunoichi on November 28, 2009, 06:54:01 PM
Yeah.  In 4th, the developers specifically stated that they seriously reworked the Matrix rules to make the decker better able to participate on runs.  I've heard that 3rd edition Matrix rules are more complicated and involved. ^^;

I have a serious dislike for 4th (which stems from back in playtest) and much more prefer 3rd (which I'm more familiar with and doesn't feel like a clone of other systems).

I'd highly recommend against a straight up decker, you'll probably be sitting out most of the run as I tend to resolve decking with a set of quickie rules that take about two minutes to go though.  Though a decker/rigger certainly would be a techie type.

HairyHeretic

I'm not too sure what they're like under the current rules. I've only played a handfull of sessions in 4th ed.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

DeviantMunster

But *protests!* Can't Otaku go into cyberspace without a deck? That -would- let me take part in runs. *ponders* But if not, I can think of something... eventually. Need to look up more info on 3rd edition first.

Kunoichi

Remember, in 3rd Edition, the Matrix isn't wireless. ^^; Technomancers might be walking wireless transmitter/receivers, but Otaku still need to plug into things to do their job.

ReijiTabibito

I'd be up for this, playing a more investigate-y type of character.  I haven't done SR in a looooong time, though, so I'd need to dig through my books to see what I have.

Speaking of SR, does anyone know why Raygun's Firearms website is down?  I've been looking all over for a reason...

Hunter

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 28, 2009, 08:35:20 PM
Speaking of SR, does anyone know why Raygun's Firearms website is down?  I've been looking all over for a reason...

The official site is certain down (I'm going to bet removed by powers that be) but there's always a chance of a mirror site floating around.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Hunter on November 28, 2009, 08:41:47 PM
The official site is certain down (I'm going to bet removed by powers that be) but there's always a chance of a mirror site floating around.

Great.   Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust great.  And that was a good website too!  Lots of modern day firearms floating around, converted into 3rd ed rules.  Well, I know the FCG is still out there, so maybe I could use that...

Success!  I have located the website for those of you who wish to look over it for weapons to buy for your characters!

http://web.archive.org/web/20070427141805/http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/

So, yeah...BTW, are we used standard 3rd ed creation rules, or what...?

Hunter

Callie Del Noire

I wouldn't mind playing a SURGE victim (I got the 3rd edition books around somewhere)

Hunter

It looks like we've got 4 people now, so I'll throw some basic campaign setup at everyone.  Anyone else interested is, of course, welcome at this point of time.

I'm going to set it in Spring 2058, probably around March or April.
City is going to be a non-canon one, Cincinnati.
I am including some of the material from my own Shadowrun .  Emphasis: some.  Most of what's here I'll allow (you'll know what I won't).   Any other material off the 'net, please check with me.
Build: Standard priority or 125 point.  Edges and Flaws must balance (but I'm bumping the number allowed up to 8 for each).

I'm going to request that you pm me your finished character, you'll be posting rep and description to each other in the IC thread at the first meet.

I think that's it.   Anything else, just ask.

Kunoichi

Er, if you're counting me among those four, I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop out. ^^; My current schedule is busy enough that I can't really afford to get into any new games...

ReijiTabibito

Is someone planning on covering the Magic angle for the group?  I have two possible builds for my runner - one with magic, and one without, and I'd like to know which one I should be covering (magic build is an Aspect Magician, either Fire Elementalist or Sorcerer).

Oh, and my runner's street name?  Robert Jones MacReady.  (Fans of a certain 80s flick will get the ref)

TheVillain

I have a 4th Ed I may be able to bring out of retirement for this.

Here's the idea.

He's an Orc known only as "Smiling Jack". His standard wardrobe is animal pelts and body armor with painted on orcish symbols- most notably a green orcish version of the "Have A Nice Day" face on his chest. His body is absolutely covered with scars like he survived a "Death of 1,000 Cuts" and his smile rarely leaves his face. Mostly because he's certifiably insane with a freakishly high tolerance for pain.

While his past is unknown, it is believed that at one point he was a faceless private security company mook whose unit was sent to lean on some eco-hippies. The hippies proved to be better magically prepared then people thought though as they released a curse on the security soldier unit, one that caused their bodies to suddenly, completely, and violently reject their cyberware. However during the raid "Smiling Jack" displayed signs of a conscience- he was ordered to go into one of the huts and kill everything that moved but discovered the colony's children, so he lied to his CO rather then go through with it. It appears the curse decided to go easy on his as a result- it worked through his system slow enough that if he was willing to cut out most of his cyberware by hand with a knife he'd survive.

So this giggling maniac of a runner who looks like a complete savage has no past, little records, and a near-encyclopedic knowledge of guns, body armor, and security forces tactics. Using, acquiring, and repairing. If you need someone to hotwire an Ares Corps humvee and blast out "Born to be Wild" while firing the mounted 50 cal backwards and steering with his toes, you found your man.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

CirclMastr

Oh man, please tell me it's not too late to join this game.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

ReijiTabibito

Nope, it's not.  You can still have an in.  Just be careful not to step on anyone's character concept, okay?  ;)

CirclMastr

It doesn't look like there's a dedicated rigger yet, I wouldn't mind covering that angle.  I haven't run the numbers yet for feasibility, but I'd like to try one (who may or may not be named Setzer) that operates out of a zeppelin instead of a traditional rigger van.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

ReijiTabibito

Rigger sounds good.  I know I'm buying a vehicle, but we could definitely use one.  And a quick suggestion: Setzer could be his street name, or the like.  (Yes, I get the reference you're making there - I play too many old-school games)